(Close Window)
Topic: Best version of Magic Square ?
So after several years out of magic, Im looking to find out the latest innovations and new ideas. Ive always wanted to do a magic square, but never really found a presentation with a real wow factor. Just wondered what the current favourite versions.
Check out my version in volume 4 of my 4-vol. "Best Ever" DVD set.
Did you mean "Impossible Magic Square"? (I studied the contents of the DVD.)
Please say more about it's wow features!
Or...a friend called to tell me that you can get to a video of me doing my magic square by going to Google and typing in Harry Lorayne/magic square. I haven't tried it yet.
[quote]On Apr 21, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Or...a friend called to tell me that you can get to a video of me doing my magic square by going to Google and typing in Harry Lorayne/magic square. I haven't tried it yet. [/quote]Thank you very much for this advice. Here comes what your store is saying:

"Contents of this DVD: Easy Indicator, Instant Face-Up Catch (Naidich, Lorayne), Foursome, Out Of My Control, Six Card Royal (D. Edwards), My Second Keeper (Quine), One-Eyed Jack Sandwich, Two-Card Trick (Hamman), Color-Changing Deck #2 (perf. only), Vanishing Deck, Harry's Opener, Amazing Revelation Display, HaLo Again, HaLo Cut (explanation only), HaLo Aces, Snap!, Lorayne's Invisible Pass Routine, Rip-Storation, The
Lorayne Spread Control (expl. only), The Ultra Move, The Scoop Change (expl. only), Impromptu Linking Card Routine, Amazing Prediction, The Sting, The Status Quo Shuffle (expl. only), Together At Last, No Get-Ready Double Lift from 4-card Packet (expl. only), The Universal Reversal (expl. only), Monte Monte Plus, Para-Psychology, Card Sharp & The 4 Gamblers (perf. only), Silknot, Impossible 2-Card Location, The Ribbon Spread
Palm, King's Highway, Spread Pass Delay, To Catch An Ace #5, Han Ping Chien Finesse, Salt-Less (expl. only), Double Pancake Revelation, Flip-Up Double Lift & Double Lift Finesse (expl. only), Easy Indicator.
MEMORY DEMONSTRATION [b](performance only)[/b]: Names & Faces, States, Capitols, Populations, Academy Awards, Simple Memory System, Magazine demo., Impossible Magic Square."

I found the suggested youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anHoo5Lw224

There is nothing said " ... the latest innovations and new ideas" - as was asked above.
Not sure if I get your "full point": but interesting link. I scrolled down and saw that I could get to all the videos from my 90th birthday party - one of my Tonight Show appearances, and etc. That's nice - I'm a terrible computer person.
[quote]On Apr 19, 2019, D J Hawkins wrote:
So after several years out of magic, Im looking to find out the latest innovations and new ideas. Ive always wanted to do a magic square, but never really found a presentation with a real wow factor. Just wondered what the current favourite versions. [/quote]
Strongly recommend spending $6 and going for this:

https://www.lybrary.com/perfectly-possible-p-892787.html

[quote]In this sequel to his 2011 ebook Mostly Perfect, Michael Daniels presents a new 'Instant Magic Square' method that makes the effect even easier to perform.

Effect

Performer instantly creates a 4x4 Magic Square for any total freely chosen by the spectator. The total can be obtained from the magic square in at least 36 different ways.

Completely impromptu. No set-up, gimmicks, or cribs.
New, improved method - minimal memory and the simplest of calculations.
Suitable for close-up or stage performances.
Produces elegant magic squares.
Can be immediately repeated for different totals.
Includes a browser application that helps you to learn and practice (Internet connection not required).
[/quote]

Unlike Halo's squares, these are more balanced (better mix of high/low #'s) and can be repeated with a different square for the same #.

Also, really easy to learn. No tough math at all. The small browser application (web page, doesn't require online connection) is a fun, effective way to practice.
More balanced???!! Please.
I done it on the fly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

27 15 22 29
21 30 24 18
28 23 16 26
17 25 31 20

---------------

23 06 19 30 15
32 12 25 08 16
10 18 29 14 22
11 24 07 20 31
17 33 13 21 09

(And I can do it under fire in less a minute.)
[quote]On May 3, 2019, hcs wrote:
I done it on the fly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

27 15 22 29
21 30 24 18
28 23 16 26
17 25 31 20

---------------

23 06 19 30 15
32 12 25 08 16
10 18 29 14 22
11 24 07 20 31
17 33 13 21 09

(And I can do it under fire in less a minute.) [/quote]
Thanks, hcs. I have read your "Melencolia" and was utterly amazed that you can do it on the fly with ANY sum and with ANY starting row. That's pure genius!
Thanks a lot. But it wasn't intended for you, Nicolino!
:angel:
[quote]On May 1, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
More balanced???!! Please. [/quote]
It's true. The spread between very high and very low numbers is much more evenly distributed.

I'm comparing to the method you teach in "The Magic Book". Perhaps you have something different that produces more evenly distributed, but I doubt it's as easy to create some other magic square methods out there.
Yeah - my audiences are all very concerned with the distribution of high and low numbers as they stand and applaud and rave.
Next time try a magic square combo with feather flowers. I guess your spectators will be completely freaked out!
I've showed Harry's Square a good number of times, no one ever questioned it. Maybe if your audience was from MIT....
Harry's square is fine for stage performance, or any situation where you don't wish to repeat the effect for the same audience.

If you want to repeat (with a different, or same, total) - e.g., in walkaround or for a group of friends - then my Perfectly Possible method will give completely different squares on every occasion. And, yes, a more balanced set of numbers each time, no matter how big the total.

This also means that you can give the squares away without worrying that the spectators will discover the method.

Mike
[quote]On May 10, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Yeah - my audiences are all very concerned with the distribution of high and low numbers as they stand and applaud and rave. [/quote]
If you want to repeat it for the same person/group, with the same #, or give out multiple squares at once then yeah, it's important to some people. Like me.

Yours is excellent Harry (for its limited use case) but certainly not the "one size fits all", "ne plus ultra" or "last word" version you seem to imagine it to be.

Others (like Michael Daniels for instance) have created different, more flexible work in this field and if pointing that out that crimps your sensibilities, then so be it. :bg:
In the link, you can see Professor Olgo's (Berthold Jassinger, 1901 1979) presentation of a magic square in 1979 in the Marvelli Show.
As you can see, he played in a class of his own. He presented in the age of 78 years a sequential square (a REAL MAGIC Square), not an "instant square".
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Professor+Olgo+Marvelli&page=&utm_source=opensearch

This is state-of-the-art since about 1960!

BTW: My updated ebook "Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer", version 3.12; Smart Methods for 4x4 and 5x5 Magic Squares is available:
https://www.lybrary.com/melencolia-p-921956.html
Dear buyers of Melencolia,
like Forrest Gump said, "Sh*t happens!". Maybe you downloaded an outdated "draft" version.
Why - I don't have an explanation.
I beg your pardon for the inconvenience.
You can download for free the correct original version, now version 3.13 with 120 A4-pages!
Please visit https://www.lybrary.com/ and login into your digital shelf.