(Close Window)
Topic: Where's Roy Kueppers???
I ordered an OXF coin set from Roy almost 2 months ago. I've emailed him numerous times to get an ETA and have not heard back. I've never had this problem with him before.

Does anyone know if he's having issues that might prevent him for responding? Otherwise, this is very unprofessional behavior!!

Thanks,

Steve
According to a recent Instagram post, he is in Las Vegas as of 4 days ago. Maybe a convention? Also, there are a number of threads on here you can find via search that will tell you that taking forever and not communicating well are par for the course with him. You will find some glowing reviews, but way more complaints (not about quality or craftsmanship).
Poof, thanks for the reply. Funny thing is he responses instantly when you're about to purchase and have questions. Fits the mold I guess!
[quote]On Apr 25, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
You will find some glowing reviews, but way more complaints (not about quality or craftsmanship). [/quote]

I've seen some complaints about quality/craftsmanship as well.
A bit hit or miss, but when there's a miss and you add poor communication on top....
Yeah, he just responds when he wants. I've found that the quality is good. I have an oxf from school craft and a CSB as well as an assortment of shells and CS coins from Roy. quality is equal imo.
I've received multiple orders, he never updated me with shipping or anything.
He has the heart of any artist I know.
I have other coins from Roy and as I stated never had issues with timely delivery or quality. Although, he doesn'y send tracking, the stuff just shows up. Wish this OXF set would do the same!!
Still no word from this guy. What a flake!
Complaints about Roy have been going on for years. He has good spells and bad ones.
Guess I get lucky because I have purchased from him a few times without any problems. Always got a hold of him first with email.
Same here, took a chance. Bought something and pretty much just waited.
Not a big order. It did arrive.

Sorry to here about your issues. I would like to purchase more, but I am not going too

Would be nice if some third party would carry his items.
The best way to contact him is to call. If you are in the US get a google voice number. It will let you call Canada for free.
I have some Roy gaffs. In all honesty, they are good but not nearly as good as my Lassen gaffs.

That said, please keep in mind that these gaffs by any of our precious coin magic craftsmen are individually produced, labor intensive items that require high skills. Polite but repeated persistence is required for each of these folks. With stress on the polite, please.

Delays yes, but I have yet to hear of anyone being cheated by Roy, Todd, or Schoolcraft or even the European coin makers. If so, please let us know. Otherwise, keep persisting.
Two months is a lot of polite patience.

Lassen, who is a top coin guy, responds to my emails. His business ethics are excellent. I would always purchase from him with confidence.

Same for Viking, and Johnson, which I have made purchase with no issues. I never dealt with Schoolcraft, but never heard anything negative.
Seems like sometimes some of these creative coinmakers smoke some wacky weed?
I like plenty of independent boutique shops. I consider it a cost of working with artists. I haven't had the pleasure of getting a Lassen gaff. Some ppl have negative comments about Roy's work, but I've found it to be top notch. I have sh**ls from Mark mason, Roy, Schoolcraft, and Johnsons. I use Roy's the most.
Are there any gaffers who even take custom orders anymore?
[quote]On May 12, 2019, Jerry wrote:
Two months is a lot of polite patience.

[/quote]
Persistence, not patience.

My point is when you are being persistent, be as polite as possible. I don't think any of these guys get any pleasure in being severely behind in their orders, but when persistence becomes bugging or even negative harassment, it can have the opposite effect and slow down production even more - for everyone's orders, not just yours.

Incidentally, I have never had a problem dealing with Lassen either and find his business (as well as personal) ethics to indeed be excellent. I usually buy what he is currently making, so I have never had a delay, but I read on his blog that sometimes he is delayed in getting orders completed, particularly custom orders. (although I am not sure if he is still doing custom orders - anyone know?)
I waited three years for a table from Sebashtion of Subdivided Studios. Why was I willing to wait? Because he responded to every contact from me.
I think Todd is no longer taking custom orders. It seems he produces coins every so often and they are posted on his site.
I'm still waiting! :hmmm:
Roy is still around and making things. He posted today on Facebook and showed his new morgan dollar coin box. Looks very nice too.
Iím happy for him, but whereís my order??
He finally responded with the promise to send my coin set within a week. Turns out he's in the middle of moving his operation, although he didn't say to where.
Payner, please update us "within week".

I was going to have Roy make a custom coin box, forget now.
Contacting Ronjo Magic to see if they will do it.
These coin gaffers, I donít get it.
They just donít like to communicate for some reason.
Their reputations, with bad service, tend to go up in smoke. Depending of course, on what wild herb they smoked that day.
OXF set finally reached me yesterday. Nice craftmanship, as always. He just needs to communicate better with his customers.
He was moving to Las Vegas ....a long trip to move his whole shop and family
I have a few of Roy's gaffs. They are excellent. I did buy them from a Brick and Mortar store (browser's Den in Toronto) so no communication problems.
That seems to be the only answer.

Buy from a (brick) store.