(Close Window)
Topic: Turnover Pass Issues
So I have quick question about the Turnover Pass. More specifically, the angles of the Turnover Pass. What angles are best to perform this pass?

I've been practicing the Turnover Pass for some time now; however, I can't seem to find the best angle in which to actually execute the pass without flashing.

Further, what angles are best if the spectator is standing? Sitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I learnt the Turnover Pass from LePaul's book and be using it forever. Done properly, it really doesn't matter the angle. As in all passes I use a small degree of misdiection such as talking. I'm simply turning over the cards.
The Turnover Pass is personally my favorite pass. I think once you have got the technique down smoothly and you gain confidence...no one should catch on no matter sitting or standing.
Best angle is spectator slightly to your right. If they are sitting you probably should lower the pack as much as possible so they are looking down at it. And by all means use misdirection.

I think Alex Pandreas has a free video on the turnover pass. He does it very well. He discusses the angles.
The Pandreas video was on youtube.
I haven't watched the Pandrea's video but in John Luka's book LINT there's a detailed description of the turnover pass. Done properly and with the right misdirection, this is almost angleproof. Tortuga has actually pointed out some issues on the angles. Hope this helps.
Ditto all of the above.
The nice thing about the Turnover pass is that it's a move within a move.
Often I'll spread the cards a bit then close them up and do the Turnover.
As mentioned, you can lower your hands and turn slightly...this allows the top half and the hand to cover the shift. But be careful as this alone can look un-natural and draw attention to the hands.
So Sato tought me it in his great book and I got it on the first try. It's effortless and undetectable.
There's a handling buried in the literature, that has solved all angle problems for me. You can find it in John Luka's L.I.N.T. in the chapter "The Turnover Pass". If you have any interest in the turnover pass at all, you should check it out. You'll be even more pleased when you find out, what else this outstanding book has to offer.
The thing that trips most up is the fact that they "frame the moment" at the halfway point of the move. The cards are in motion and then there is that mysterious pause, after which the cards have to regain their momentum. Get past that and you have it licked.

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
I'd say that the best way to think about angles is to have the faces of the cards angled slightly towards your spectators eyes. IMO the move is the most deceptive if you are looking at the cards dead on. So if you're standing, you'd angle the cards down a little bit.
WingChun and Uli, Thank you for the kind words regarding "L.I.N.T." The turnover pass is angle proof when done correctly.
I can attest to the effectiveness of John Luka's turnover pass!
I would say, spectator looking down on pack. But pack is raised some as the move is done....thereby creating the larger motion to cover the smaller action.