(Close Window)
Topic: Skymember Presents: Project Polaroid by Julio Montoro and Finix Chan
For centuries, camera technology undergoes back-to-back dramatic transformations, all to fulfill one human obsession: to immortalize their best moments.

That brings us to printed photos. Though substantial, they are a relic of the past. Once taken, nothing inside is changeable, or photoshopped. But did you know that you can actually manipulate printed photos in real life?

Courtesy of the brilliant minds of Julio Montoro and Finix Chan, we can now deliver that power to your hands - with Project Polaroid.

Project Polaroid isn't just any magic trick; it's more than that. It's a door to infinite possibilities. Imagine: being able to vanish the Statue of Liberty like the legend himself; materialize your portrait out of thin air; you can even have your audiences feel the miracle in their hands.

Not convinced? How about popping a real object out of a flat, 2D photo?

We're making Hollywood special effects come to life, through your hands.

Each package will come with two pre-made gimmicks, ready to go in just seconds.

Simply practical and effortless.

Designed for the real worker - whether you're a card, coin, mentalism, or psychic magician - Project Polaroid will elevate your art to a new extreme. Available worldwide NOW.

Disclaimer: Due to various challenges with mass production, Project Polaroid is LIMITED to 1100 units only. No reprint/reproduction hereafter.

What you will receive:
* Two pre-made gimmicks - Vanishing Statue of Liberty and Red Mercury Card Trick. Each gimmick was HAND ASSEMBLED by our FOUNDER and co-creator of Project Polaroid himself, Finix Chan.
* Four extra gimmicks - Princess Card Trick, Magician's Force, Crane Origami, and Ghost Lady. Assembly required.
* 30 x regular photos - 5 photos per plot; 3 photos (after the magic happens) and 2 photos (before the magic happens).
* One refill supplies pack.
* 2 hour detailed online instructions.
Q&A:

Q: What's the difficulty level of Project Polaroid?
A: Extremely Easy! The gimmick is self-contained. With a single flick, the magic happens!

Q: Can I customize my own photos?
A: It's possible. Once you have learned the concept, you may build your own Polaroid routine.

Q: Are its gimmicks well thought out?
A: Over 100 prototypes have been built by Finix. Moreover, with contributions from Jasoon Khor (an expert in the printing industry), we couldn't be more satisfied with the final result.

Q: How's the quality of the gimmicks? Are they durable?
A: Every paper-based product is prone to wear and tear upon long-time usage. We do include supplies and extra gimmicks so you can repair or build a new one. Please fully watch the online instruction before handling your gimmicks.

Q: Do I need to prepare anything in advance to perform this?
A: Not necessarily. You will receive two pre-made gimmicks HAND-ASSEMBLED by Finix Chan, co-creator himself! What you need to do instead, is to customize the pre-made gimmick to fit your preferences.

Q: If I am running out of supplies, where I can get them?
A: Due to various challenges with mass productions, we have limited quantities for the full set of Project Polaroid. However, we might have some overprinted photos. Therefore, please contact your favorite magic store for inquiries.

Q: Any possibility for add-on effects for Project Polaroid?
A: Yes! The main reason why we named this effect "Project" is because of its expandability. Infinite possibilities! Our founder, Finix, will continue to refine the gimmicks and develop more routines and effects with this concept. When we are ready, we will roll out add-ons from time to time.

Q: Are TV rights included?
A: Sorry, commercial rights are reserved for Project Polaroid, including but not limited to TV and web shows. Please contact Skymember Presents for commercial inquiries.

Credits:

We would like to say THANK YOU to Patrick Wolford from Murphy's Magic Supplies for being our project consultant and Jasoon Khor for engineering the gimmicks with Finix!
Concept by Julio Montoro
Remastered by Finix Chan
Project Manager: Calvin Liew
Project Consultant: Patrick Wolford
Gimmicks engineered by Jasoon Khor and Finix Chan
Creative Consultant: Avi Yap
Creative Director: Finix Chan
Graphic Designer: Yuen Tian Jia
Creative Assistants: Thien Wei Jian and Edwin Liew

Thoughts from professional magicians

"Project Polaroid is perfect for anyone looking for a visual in your face type of change that is easy to perform and customizable. I love it!!"
- Jo„o Miranda

"The effect is AMAZING, and the method is BRILLIANT!!"
- Les French Twins

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=63240

Best regards,
Titanas
This is great fun and very, very easy to use.

It's on the site now shipping from the UK here https://www.magicshop.co.uk/polaroid

Release date is May 13th

Hope this helps
Dominic
Has Anyone actually seen this product?

Or is everyoneís opinion based on the advert copy
My order is in! I shall be reviewing it over on my review channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDcPM-Uc2coupozF8BSJUQg
[quote]On May 3, 2019, Rooster wrote:
My order is in! I shall be reviewing it over on my review channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDcPM-Uc2coupozF8BSJUQg [/quote]

Look Forward to seeing it !
Identical to Frame, a creation of mine published in 2014.. Very disappointed with it.
[quote]On May 3, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:
Identical to Frame, a creation of mine published in 2014.. Very disappointed with it. [/quote]

Contact them if the method is the same
[quote]On May 3, 2019, SleepyMagic wrote:
Identical to Frame, a creation of mine published in 2014.. Very disappointed with it. [/quote]

Contact them if the method is the same [/quote]

Tried, creator and producer donít seem to understand they own something to the creator of the original concept. Thatís why Iím disappointed with the ethic policy from Skymember.

[youtube]IBpCxdsueRQ[/youtube]

Tried, creator and producer donít seem to understand they own something to the creator of the original concept. Thatís why Iím disappointed with the ethic policy from Skymember.

[youtube]IBpCxdsueRQ[/youtube] [/quote]

Nothing to comment from Titanas or Dominic ?

So looks like profit comes before ethics
Beautifully visual. Am I being a Debbie downer by asking ďwho carries Polaroid anymore?Ē with regards to the patter of why I have this object. Do you think it would scream ďspecial propĒ since modern technology?

Have you seen the video for this or are you just guessing the methods are the same?
[quote]On May 3, 2019, paranormal wrote:

Have you seen the video for this or are you just guessing the methods are the same? [/quote]

Iíve received the actual product and contacted the producer, which turns out they didnít want to understand they took my concept.. So publishing here and on all the social medias are the only thing left to do :/
[quote]On May 3, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
Beautifully visual. Am I being a Debbie downer by asking ďwho carries Polaroid anymore?Ē with regards to the patter of why I have this object. Do you think it would scream ďspecial propĒ since modern technology? [/quote]

Yes you are!

Honestly, do some research and you'll see how instant cameras are on the up... Kodak have just released two new cameras...
I already have Alexis' Frame, which is I only picked up recently, and haven't actually used yet (though I have watched the DVD). Do we know that this is actually the same method? From the video it *might* be, but some of the examples suggest at least some differences in handling (not to mention the theme being different).
All the Polaroid pictures Iíve ever seen are square shaped...unless this is from a new polaroid camera that prints a rectangular photo?
[quote]On May 3, 2019, no2ss wrote:
I already have Alexis' Frame, which is I only picked up recently, and haven't actually used yet (though I have watched the DVD). Do we know that this is actually the same method? From the video it *might* be, but some of the examples suggest at least some differences in handling (not to mention the theme being different). [/quote]

I actually received the product Project Polaroid so I can compare and tell you that the method is really similar
Sorry if I came across as rude I just wanted to make sure you had seen the actual product because I have seen people jump to conclusions.

I actually received the product Project Polaroid so I can compare and tell you that the method is really similar [/quote]

So it's 'really similar' but not exactly the same. Are you looking to be credited or to get a part of their profits?
[quote]On May 3, 2019, dooblehorn wrote:
All the Polaroid pictures Iíve ever seen are square shaped...unless this is from a new polaroid camera that prints a rectangular photo? [/quote]

I've used the Fuji Instax mini film for a few years. They have a pocket printer similar to the HP Sprocket.
The film is credit card sized. Like what they use for the photos that SEO Magic sells such as Rainbow by Higar.
It is rectangular.

https://instax.com/mini9/en
Beautifully visual. Am I being a Debbie downer by asking ďwho carries Polaroid anymore?Ē with regards to the patter of why I have this object. Do you think it would scream ďspecial propĒ since modern technology? [/quote]

Actually polaroids are hugely in now especially for teens and young adults. It's a retro thing that they think is very cool. Not just made by polaroid anymore. Also Fujifilm.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=instant+camera&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
[quote]On May 3, 2019, videoman wrote:
[quote]On May 3, 2019, dooblehorn wrote:
All the Polaroid pictures Iíve ever seen are square shaped...unless this is from a new polaroid camera that prints a rectangular photo? [/quote]

I've used the Fuji Instax mini film for a few years. They have a pocket printer similar to the HP Sprocket.
The film is credit card sized. Like what they use for the photos that SEO Magic sells such as Rainbow by Higar.
It is rectangular.

https://instax.com/mini9/en [/quote]
Ah, ok, thanks!
[quote]On May 3, 2019, PatrickGregoire wrote:

I actually received the product Project Polaroid so I can compare and tell you that the method is really similar [/quote]

So it's 'really similar' but not exactly the same. Are you looking to be credited or to get a part of their profits? [/quote]

I would have liked to be involved in this project since they took the concept out of my Frame, and put it on a Polaroid. They canít even show both sides of the polaroid, while you can have a signed card on the other side of the gimmick in Frame.

Sebastien calbry contacted me for Badgť because he wanted to make things right, and we put the trick out together.

Skymember didnít even contact me, they took the concept, made money out of it. Integrity is unfortunately not the priority for everyone :/
Alex, respectfully the method for this trick is sufficient enough to justify its own release. I do know how the frame effect works- the method is different I believe? Polaroid face can be touched afterwards and felt it is normal (frame you cannot), and it makes more sense on a Polaroid. Interestingly, the method of this effect is more like victor sanz ink a change rather than frame
Looks good, but...

I think with a natural object, people wanna hold it and interact with it...

Are there items with this that let you sw##%h or is the gimmick p#lm@ble?
[quote]On May 4, 2019, Fatgumbo wrote:
Alex, respectfully the method for this trick is sufficient enough to justify its own release. I do know how the frame effect works- the method is different I believe? Polaroid face can be touched afterwards and felt it is normal (frame you cannot), and it makes more sense on a Polaroid. Interestingly, the method of this effect is more like victor sanz ink a change rather than frame [/quote]

As I said, I OWN Project polaroid, thatís why Iím saying that the method are highly similar. Polaroid canít be touched after the change. How can you say methods are different without having the actual product ? I OWN Project Polaroid and Iím the creator of Frame so I think I can compare.
Wait, you can't show both sides of the Polaroid? Like IAIN says, it would be a plus to not have the heat on after the change. It can be managed I'm sure, but bummer.
When it comes to visual magic, Julio is a beast. I saw him live performing candy magic and a triumph trick that is just insane.

Polaroid looks like a visual, practical and fun effect to perform! I wish him the best since he really deserve it!

After his Bill change comes Polaroid, this guys is on fire.

I'm in!

Olivier BoŽs
[quote]On May 4, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:
[quote]On May 4, 2019, Fatgumbo wrote:
Alex, respectfully the method for this trick is sufficient enough to justify its own release. I do know how the frame effect works- the method is different I believe? Polaroid face can be touched afterwards and felt it is normal (frame you cannot), and it makes more sense on a Polaroid. Interestingly, the method of this effect is more like victor sanz ink a change rather than frame [/quote]

As I said, I OWN Project polaroid, thatís why Iím saying that the method are highly similar. Polaroid canít be touched after the change. How can you say methods are different without having the actual product ? I OWN Project Polaroid and Iím the creator of Frame so I think I can compare. [/quote]

After watching the trailer again, it seems like the method is actually same as frame, not sure whether the Polaroid will withstand moderate scrutiny at all, gimmick seems better camouflaged on a playing card.

That being said, I hope it does not rely on a certain sticky material in order to facilitate the change, I find it isnít too reliable in performance
[quote]On May 4, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Looks good, but...

I think with a natural object, people wanna hold it and interact with it...

Are there items with this that let you sw##%h or is the gimmick p#lm@ble? [/quote]

Agree.
Would make an amazing reveal for Skynet, Think of any card,...... then pop it out of a polaroid !
No heat on the gimmick

Not sure if the load is easy enough to do that....
Thx for that idea Kebmo! Iíve got the system down and would like something besides bag reveal.
Regarding the Photos, these are now very common.
I have one of these cameras and my daughter has one of these
cameras and they both use Fuji film of the same
type used by Higar in his fabulous releases. I have never had the
photos questioned at all. I carry them in a plastic wallet together with a photo
of my son and daughter.

This project looks interesting
My review is out here :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5h1ZX7RSg0
Could you see the gimmick in the close up situation ? Or it more suitable for parlor effect ?
You can use it close up to show them and have them rub the photo with their index finger to show it's real. I wouldn't hand it out until after with a s*****. Rooster was right on with his review. The accent didn't bother me until into the video when it came to building extra gimmicks. It is disappointing to not have the Rubik's cube photo as in the trailer.
[quote]On May 15, 2019, indomagic wrote:
Could you see the gimmick in the close up situation ? Or it more suitable for parlor effect ? [/quote]

In normal close-up performance situations and with the correct spectator handling, such as you would for most gimmicks of this nature(itís kind of tricky explaining without exposing), you will be fine. Basically if youíve got the grips of basic spectator management youíll be fine.
[quote]On May 16, 2019, MagicBrent wrote:
You can use it close up to show them and have them rub the photo with their index finger to show it's real. I wouldn't hand it out until after with a s*****. Rooster was right on with his review. The accent didn't bother me until into the video when it came to building extra gimmicks. It is disappointing to not have the Rubik's cube photo as in the trailer. [/quote]

Thanks a lot! Yes my routing (as mentioned in the review) is much like the dog/cat switch. In this situation the heat is more on the spec, so most donít feel the need to check the gimmick after. But the way the gimmick is set up I can have them feel the photo both before and after if they wish.
Rooster,

Thank you very much for your review. Did you discuss the durability and fragile nature of the gimmick? If so, I apologize. I watched your review but may have missed it.
Thank you.
Michael
My review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyE2HdWsCOU&lc=

Plus - you can see that ALEX DLF is credited at 4:23 (Along with Will Tsai, Jason Yu, and Masuda)

PEACE
[quote]On May 16, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
Rooster,

Thank you very much for your review. Did you discuss the durability and fragile nature of the gimmick? If so, I apologize. I watched your review but may have missed it.
Thank you.
Michael [/quote]

Many thanks! I did touch on it briefly upon discussing the main aspect in the making of the gimmicks. Basically theyíre durable to an extent. They will have a shelf life depending on usage, but you do get a lot of extra ďstuffĒ to rebuild if needs be(plus itís easy to find online). I keep one in my phone for impromptu performances and two in my JOL wallet for work, so theyíre fine so long as kept safe and not man handled :)
[quote]On May 16, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:

Plus - you can see that ALEX DLF is credited at 4:23 (Along with Will Tsai, Jason Yu, and Masuda)

PEACE [/quote]

My apologies I mustíve missed that! I retract my comment about lack of crediting.

and I have to add that, having seen your video, "Frame" looks superb and much more contemporary than a polaroid themed effect (a what! themed effect? the young folk are asking)
[quote]On May 16, 2019, Rooster wrote:
[quote]On May 16, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
Rooster,

Thank you.
Michael [/quote]

Many thanks! I did touch on it briefly upon discussing the main aspect in the making of the gimmicks. Basically theyíre durable to an extent. They will have a shelf life depending on usage, but you do get a lot of extra ďstuffĒ to rebuild if needs be(plus itís easy to find online). I keep one in my phone for impromptu performances and two in my JOL wallet for work, so theyíre fine so long as kept safe and not man handled :) [/quote]

Rooster,

Rhank you very much for your reply and clarification. Thank you also for the tips on where to carry the phitis.
Michael
[quote]On May 16, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:

PEACE [/quote]
David,
Thank you for your informative review as well.
Michael
[quote]On May 3, 2019, IAIN wrote:

Yes you are!

Honestly, do some research and you'll see how instant cameras are on the up... Kodak have just released two new cameras... [/quote]

LOL, is this the same Kodak who invented the digital camera and then all but disappeared into oblivion for not developing ( nudge nudge) it?
[quote]On May 16, 2019, Rooster wrote:
[quote]On May 15, 2019, indomagic wrote:
Could you see the gimmick in the close up situation ? Or it more suitable for parlor effect ? [/quote]

In normal close-up performance situations and with the correct spectator handling, such as you would for most gimmicks of this nature(itís kind of tricky explaining without exposing), you will be fine. Basically if youíve got the grips of basic spectator management youíll be fine. [/quote]

Thanks for your favorable response.
Nice review (as usual) David.

Two concerns: you mention this makes great "wallet magic" but having said that, is this too fragile to live in the wallet? (While I'm not fishing, I don't use or keep IT stuff in there, or anything that butt/wallet pressure would ruin.)

Second, there's the one obvious move we all know when a photo is placed in their hand and two photos switch places (it's in the trailer). I'm assuming that's just one routine that uses it? I can't get over thinking like a magician and seeing the discrepancy every time and wondered if that was only in that routine. (Versus a flick change or only using one photo in the effect.) Thanks for anyone's thoughts.
Thanks for your questions - I guess I am thinking like a magician as well - since "technically" we can carry card wallets in our jacket pockets. I'd be wary of "pressure" as well.

Second, YES that was only that 1 routine - since the typical gaff is black on the backside - that was done to leave the spectator with an examinable card from the beginning with no switch
Yes, it is fragile and it takes A LOT of care. More importantly, DON'T keep it too much in the wallet in "active" state or it will break. For me it goes straight to the drawer.... Too much hassle for strolling.

Hi Alex

Where is your Frame available?

Thanks

David
You can get it here http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17277
You can get it by me too, it's 15$ included shipping worldwide ;)

I throw an extra gimmick inside for you.

Unfortunately, Skymember ethics is very low, they do not answer my message anymore and I tried every single way I could to contact them. The only way is now to boycott ripoff from company which steal other ideas. They recognized it was my concept but they didn't want to retribute me so I'm very disappointed with how it ends but I'll do whatever I can to boycott Skymember's product.

Shame we have company like this in magic.
[quote]On May 29, 2019, Alex DLF wrote:

Unfortunately, Skymember ethics is very low, they do not answer my message anymore and I tried every single way I could to contact them. The only way is now to boycott ripoff from company which steal other ideas. They recognized it was my concept but they didn't want to retribute me so I'm very disappointed with how it ends but I'll do whatever I can to boycott Skymember's product.

Shame we have company like this in magic. [/quote]

In the magicorthodoxy review he shows that they do credit you...
This is a bit finicky and delicate. It would be on the difficult end of usefulness if youíre a worker.