(Close Window)
Topic: Bottom palming
I have a feeling that the most common answer to my question will be "practice, practice and practice some more." But here goes.

I'm working on LePaul's modification of the Erdnase bottom palm. What I find difficult is CONSISTENTLY picking up only one card with my left ring finger, rather than a small packet. If I can get it down to be reasonably consistent I'd call it a victory.

Any thoughts?
Exactly. That is what I found. That just because it is written up, it will not necessarily work 1. all the time or 2 with a well used deck.
I would say this. This resulted in my finding something that works all the time and is invisible. Go through all the materials and try things.
But I would suggest Marlo is a great source for what will perhaps be your solution.
Thanks, I got my copy of Revolutionary Card Technique - I guess it's time to stop being afraid of it.
Atta boy Teddy! Congrats.
I was fortunate enough to acquire a numbered deluxe collectors edition signed by the Editor.
don't be afraid, dive right in! Try the items exactly as taught.
I am helping Teddy. It is a version of a bottom palm I came up with after looking at all that was available. I needed something smooth invisible and rock solid for my walkaround shows. I tried everything. I can't believe how many troublesome, half decent, work only perfectly sometimes , bottom palms there are. So I developed it. Then I found something similar in Marlo.

I think the bottom palm, if well done, is one of the greatest card sleights out there. They wont even suspect it if they know about palming.
If it's a single-card bottom palm? Go to John Carney. If it were any easier, the cards would be bottom-palming you.
Thanks, I got my copy of Revolutionary Card Technique
Quoting Burnaby : "I'd go bottom palm, myself. Somewhere on Youtube is a video of Denis Behr doing an Erdnase Bottom Palm and it looks great. Plus, as has been pointed out by Michael Close and others, the very nature of a bottom palm brings with it advantages that you can't get from a top -- being able to openly hold the deck afterwards and show the other hand empty, the availability of (arguably) better-covered controls to the bottom, a wonderful gambit that allows for a great retreat if you want it, the efficiency and cover for replacements to the bottom, being able to use the deck for extra cover for the steal (rather than offering the back of the hand), etc."

Very well said. Excellent.
Well, there's a lot of sound logic in those words, but I can't credit for it. The man who taught me all that good stuff?

You guessed it, Frank Stallone.
I think it's pretty hard to beat Ernest Earick's/Paul Curry's one-handed technique, especially if you need to palm more cards.

It's much, much easier to palm one card when the cards are either brand new (and therefore stiffer), or when the (more worn out) deck has a concave bend.

Mike
I like to bottom palm a card, then while reading the spectator's palm, hold out the palmed card under their arm. They absolutely have no clue a card could be held out.......

Again, Burnaby, I think most magicians, including some pros do not understand the full meaning of your statement I quoted above. The incredible advantages of a smooth bottom palm.
[quote]On May 27, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Well, there's a lot of sound logic in those words, but I can't credit for it. The man who taught me all that good stuff?

You guessed it, Frank Stallone. [/quote]
Why...just...why.
[quote]On May 28, 2019, magicfish wrote:

Why...just...why. [/quote]

He's the best one!
[quote]On May 28, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
[quote]On May 28, 2019, magicfish wrote:

Why...just...why. [/quote]

He's the best one! [/quote]

Sigh. Some people just can't recognize genius, no matter how much it fluffs its hair.
Again, Leave it PH. Please.

But I do finally agree with you on something. Carney is the guy.
Thanks for all of the input. Right now I have so many classic card books that I have not yet read that I cannot justify getting anymore until I open them. But I will definitely keep John Carney's name in mind as I keep hearing it mentioned here.

I think that Countrymaven's direction to Marlo's RCT has helped me out, especially by combining a bit with Paul Lepaul's bottom palm.

Thanks again.
Message: Posted by: MagicianInTrouble (May 29, 2019 03:47PM)
[quote]On May 21, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I have a feeling that the most common answer to my question will be "practice, practice and practice some more."[/quote]

Nope. The correct answer is, "Think, think, and then think some more."
[quote]On May 29, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
Thanks for all of the input. Right now I have so many classic card books that I have not yet read that I cannot justify getting anymore until I open them. But I will definitely keep John Carney's name in mind as I keep hearing it mentioned here.

I think that Countrymaven's direction to Marlo's RCT has helped me out, especially by combining a bit with Paul Lepaul's bottom palm.

Thanks again. [/quote]
Carneycopia is one of the best books on closeup magic ever and in my opinion, its introduction should be read by every single person who wants to become a magician.
His Book of Secrets is also a must.
Carney may be the best pure sleight of hand artist on earth.
[quote]On May 29, 2019, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On May 29, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:

Thanks again. [/quote]
Carneycopia is one of the best books on closeup magic ever and in my opinion, its introduction should be read by every single person who wants to become a magician.
His Book of Secrets is also a must.
Carney may be the best pure sleight of hand artist on earth. [/quote]

I agree about Carneycopia. It is now out of print, I believe, so find it where you can! John's website has some old blog posts that are worth reading.
Note quite OOP, in fact it is available as an ebook from LLePub and is currently half price: https://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=15&zenid=jqml5j4fa9irkj6c4cas8qhki4
Stick with the real thing. It is much better and very much available.
Not only that, I heard that in the e-book every seventeenth word is "rhubarb".

I mean, who does that?
[quote]On May 29, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:

I mean, who does that? [/quote]

Whatever happened to the avatar where we couldn't see your face?

Those were the days.
I have 2 relatively inexpensive downloads that will supplement the books nicely.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/card-magic-downloads/bottom-palm/ John Carney
And
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/card-magic-downloads/one-hand-bottom-palm/ Ben Earl

I also know that Michael Close sells ebooks with embedded videos on his site. He has 3 different ebooks on different techniques of palming. Bottom Palm / Gamblers Cop is one of them.
https://www.michaelclose.com/collections/products-by-michael-close
[quote]On May 29, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:

I mean, who does that? [/quote]
I'd say either PH or JS.
My resolve broke down...I found a used copy of Carneycopia and ordered it. I just want to belong...I'll never read it. :stuckinbag:
Congrats Teddy! Awesome book.
Thank you. I am leaning toward the finish of Vol 3 of Card College - Side Steal- another move that is scientifically impossible but should keep me busy until I'm in an oxygen tent.

But when I finish, I will stop the Card College cover-to-cover approach and move to the other cognoscenti in the field. For example, Carney, Darwin Ortiz, Larry Jennings, Brother Hammon, Derek Dingle, and of course Harry.
Now you're talkin.
But don't forget, Carney may also be the finest exponent of the Side Steal in the world.
And for one of the best Bottom Steals, see H.L.'s HaLo Cut Cop- a favourite technique of the great Martin Nash.
[quote]On May 30, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
Thank you. I am leaning toward the finish of Vol 3 of Card College - Side Steal- another move that is scientifically impossible but should keep me busy until I'm in an oxygen tent.

But when I finish, I will stop the Card College cover-to-cover approach and move to the other cognoscenti in the field. For example, Carney, Darwin Ortiz, Larry Jennings, Brother Hammon, Derek Dingle, and of course Harry. [/quote]

RCT has some outstanding Side Steal work, which was subsequently finessed to all hell by Paul Cummins. I highly recommend both -- when you're ready.
Once I was at a magic convention. It was late and there were mostly card workers there. A lady magician asked me what I was working on . I said I was currently really interested in bottom palming. She slapped me hard. But what could I do? I understood how she misunderstood.
"Atta boy Teddy! Congrats. 
I was fortunate enough to acquire a numbered deluxe collectors edition signed by the Editor. 
don't be afraid, dive right in! Try the items exactly as taught"

Magicfish - I got #30 on your encouragement. What are you?
You mean what number is my book?
I don't recall off the top.
I'll dig it up and let you know.