(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for a Card Force
Message: Posted by: mindfreak2.0 (May 24, 2019 08:30PM)
Hey everyone,

I am trying to find a card force in which I can spread out the deck (or packet of cards), the spectator runs their finger down the spread deck along the table, and "freely stops" at a card of their choice.

I've been doing some research but have come up empty, that is why I am posting this here. Any help or directions to look in would be greatly appreciated!
Message: Posted by: Rupert Pupkin (May 24, 2019 09:44PM)
If I'm understanding correctly, the spread must be on the table? This isn't in the hands?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (May 24, 2019 10:18PM)
John Carey's Tabled Touch Force.
Message: Posted by: aabc (May 25, 2019 04:57AM)
Will Houstoun has a nice one in his Penguin Live lecture.
Message: Posted by: Tortuga (May 25, 2019 06:58AM)
[quote]On May 24, 2019, magicfish wrote:
John Carey's Tabled Touch Force. [/quote]

I second this recommendation.
Message: Posted by: Zauberman (May 25, 2019 07:12AM)
One way deck (may want to use a deck switch to get in and out of play)

Have the card pulled forward, pick up the rest of the deck and do a Curry Turnover to reveal the chosen card (the Curry Turnover will switch the chosen one for your desired force card)
Message: Posted by: Claudio (May 25, 2019 08:30AM)
The best one I know is Tom Gagnon's Ultimate Spread Force, taught in his excellent book "Avant-Cards". Just sleight of hand and certainly not so easy to perform well.

[Youtube]CUZmwlI1FeU[/Youtube]
Message: Posted by: magicfish (May 25, 2019 10:38AM)
A beautiful item from Mr. Gagnon. Great book.
And, incidentally, looks nothing like a classic force. ; )
Message: Posted by: mindfreak2.0 (May 25, 2019 09:24PM)
[quote]On May 24, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
If I'm understanding correctly, the spread must be on the table? This isn't in the hands? [/quote]

Not necessarily. My original idea was to do it on a table, but in the hands would also be possible!
Message: Posted by: cfirwin3 (May 27, 2019 05:59AM)
If you are doing it in the hands then you can't beat the underspread cull force. There are several variations. The easiest is to force the top card. The hardest is to force the bottom. The cleanest and best is to force a card from about 4 or five from the top by culling and forcing.

If you want to +1 the force then add a sort of reverse 'convincing control' substitution (outjogging the true selection but then showing the force upon splitting the spread).

Alternatively you could simply have a card freely selected from a spread and then DL from the top to the force.

Putting the spread in the hands makes what you are asking for much easier.

As for a table spread... consider offsetting the move and orchestrating a card substitution after the choice. The concept is really the same as any other force, but more elaborate.

The Gagnon ruse is pretty slick if you want to work at it... but there are easier ways to convince a spectator of the same conditions.
Message: Posted by: Rupert Pupkin (May 27, 2019 06:07AM)
[quote]On May 27, 2019, cfirwin3 wrote:
If you are doing it in the hands then you can't beat the underspread cull force. There are several variations. The easiest is to force the top card. The hardest is to force the bottom. The cleanest and best is to force a card from about 4 or five from the top by culling and forcing.

If you want to +1 the force then add a sort of reverse 'convincing control' substitution (outjogging the true selection but then showing the force upon splitting the spread).

Alternatively you could simply have a card freely selected from a spread and then DL from the top to the force.

Putting the spread in the hands makes what you are asking for much easier.

As for a table spread... consider offsetting the move and orchestrating a card substitution after the choice. The concept is really the same as any other force, but more elaborate.

The Gagnon ruse is pretty slick if you want to work at it... but there are easier ways to convince a spectator of the same conditions. [/quote]

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.)
Message: Posted by: cfirwin3 (May 27, 2019 11:05AM)
[quote]On May 27, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.) [/quote]

I like to spread the top card off and then spread 4 cards on top of that while explaining what I'm going to have the spectator do. I close the spread and continue. Then I spread cull the 5th card (now the location of the force card) and then force it cleanly. The dirty move was set apart as a get ready... displaced from the actual moment. I agree with your perspective on spread cull forcing the top card outright. It's awkward and people are likely to feel that something's up even if they can't quite sort out what it is.
Message: Posted by: Rupert Pupkin (May 27, 2019 11:45AM)
[quote]On May 27, 2019, cfirwin3 wrote:
[quote]On May 27, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.) [/quote]

I like to spread the top card off and then spread 4 cards on top of that while explaining what I'm going to have the spectator do. I close the spread and continue. Then I spread cull the 5th card (now the location of the force card) and then force it cleanly. The dirty move was set apart as a get ready... displaced from the actual moment. I agree with your perspective on spread cull forcing the top card outright. It's awkward and people are likely to feel that something's up even if they can't quite sort out what it is. [/quote]

Sure, you can smooth down the edges of the Simple Simon. But it's hard to imagine a scenario where I'd opt for a disguised sleight over an invisible one -- at least in this context. Horses for courses, etc.
Message: Posted by: The Burnaby Kid (May 27, 2019 12:03PM)
[quote]On May 27, 2019, cfirwin3 wrote:
[quote]On May 27, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Yes to all of this. (Except for cull forcing the top card. That's a no-no for me.) [/quote]

I like to spread the top card off and then spread 4 cards on top of that while explaining what I'm going to have the spectator do. I close the spread and continue. Then I spread cull the 5th card (now the location of the force card) and then force it cleanly. The dirty move was set apart as a get ready... displaced from the actual moment. I agree with your perspective on spread cull forcing the top card outright. It's awkward and people are likely to feel that something's up even if they can't quite sort out what it is. [/quote]

I do something almost identical to this. It's an open reverse counting of the first four cards that mimics a sort of spreading action, followed by a square-up ("Actually, point your finger just like this."), followed by a similar-looking spread of the top three cards, bringing the cards up to their finger so that it touches the third card ("Just touch it like this..."). I flash it at them ("...and we'll look at that one") and then bring it down ("...but just touch it so that you can change your mind if you want. Ok?"), then cull and keep spreading. It works well.
Message: Posted by: cfirwin3 (May 27, 2019 12:32PM)
[quote]On May 27, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:

I do something almost identical to this. It's an open reverse counting of the first four cards that mimics a sort of spreading action, followed by a square-up ("Actually, point your finger just like this."), followed by a similar-looking spread of the top three cards, bringing the cards up to their finger so that it touches the third card ("Just touch it like this..."). I flash it at them ("...and we'll look at that one") and then bring it down ("...but just touch it so that you can change your mind if you want. Ok?"), then cull and keep spreading. It works well. [/quote]

Oooooooo I like that. That's good spectator management... keeps them active and paying attention to something right when you need them to. And the move has purpose. Great misdirection.

Thanks for sharing that!
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (May 28, 2019 06:18AM)
Provided it doesn’t interfere with whatever you’re planning to do afterwards, there’s always the old rough and smooth or Science Friction, using double decker cards if showing 52 different cards is important.
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (May 28, 2019 12:24PM)
What do you do AFTER they point at a card?
If you scoop them up and hand/show them their card then you are essentially in control territory. Probably an underspread-cull or similar.
Message: Posted by: vinsmagic (May 31, 2019 01:17PM)
The godfathers giggle force
text me if you want a demo

vinny
Message: Posted by: vinsmagic (May 31, 2019 02:47PM)
Mr salk I sent you the giggle force
hope you enjoy it

vinny
Message: Posted by: countrymaven (Jun 1, 2019 11:42AM)
I have a force I will be giving away in a couple of months down below. It is called the Gravity Force.
It replaces the classic force. You let the spectator shuffle the cards, you take them back with no peek. You then spread through the cards, and show that they get a different card every time. This is very natural, with no count downs, no setting up.

Then they tell you when to stop. Unlike the regular cull force, this has no "Peeping Tom" cards. No cards sticking out from the spread. their choice is free. You instantly mimic what you did previously in having them possibly choose a card. But this time they choose it. You do not have to worry about where they choose it from, outs, or other brain scramblers. No need for a table. Ultra clean. No quickie moves. No bad angles.
Message: Posted by: gillesA4 (Jun 4, 2019 07:58AM)
Hi all!
Any idea where I could find John Carey's Tabled Touch Force? Couldn't find the info on the Café, and big G.didn't help either...
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jun 6, 2019 01:15AM)
PM sent
Message: Posted by: cfirwin3 (Jun 11, 2019 09:52AM)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2019, gillesA4 wrote:
Hi all!
Any idea where I could find John Carey's Tabled Touch Force? Couldn't find the info on the Café, and big G.didn't help either... [/quote]

Same here. I can't seem to find the force under that particular name. Is it called something else in Carey's resources? Where is this thing described?
Message: Posted by: vinsmagic (Jun 11, 2019 08:32PM)
I have a spread force I have been doing for 20 years , it can also serve as acaan or just a revelation
if interested I can put up a demo
or just pm me
vinny
Message: Posted by: jerry100won (Jun 16, 2019 09:06AM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2019, cfirwin3 wrote:
[quote]On Jun 4, 2019, gillesA4 wrote:
Hi all!
Any idea where I could find John Carey's Tabled Touch Force? Couldn't find the info on the Café, and big G.didn't help either... [/quote]

Same here. I can't seem to find the force under that particular name. Is it called something else in Carey's resources? Where is this thing described? [/quote]


Same here....can someone post the source(s) of where we can locate.
Message: Posted by: Steve Malco (Jun 16, 2019 09:24AM)
Hofzinser force to the bottom is my go to force. You're forcing the bottom card via a very simple bottom deal which by no means has to be elusive because it's under the spread. Instead of doing the squaring action at the end, my own variation is to separate my hands as I lift up the half with the forced card and say something to the effect of "Okay, look at your card and remember it." I used this a day and a half ago performing for a group and it works beautifully and it's a perfect illusion of being a completely fair choice.