(Close Window)
Topic: Nice little video
Message: Posted by: Skeleton (May 25, 2019 07:01AM)
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdSZ7UtZnI

Would love to see more videos of bizarrist "in action" - unfortunately (as has been stated in another thread somewhere) most of the performing one's tend to not have their performances filmed.

Not that I can not understand the reasons behind that, but nonetheless it is a pity.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (May 25, 2019 07:20AM)
[quote]On May 25, 2019, Skeleton wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdSZ7UtZnI

Would love to see more videos of bizarrist "in action" - unfortunately (as has been stated in another thread somewhere) most of the performing one's tend to not have their performances filmed.

Not that I can not understand the reasons behind that, but nonetheless it is a pity. [/quote]

Especially for those who live too far away or can't travel.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (May 25, 2019 08:47AM)
In my personal experience, if you post a video, you get a handful of folks complaining that you are diminishing the art by doing so. After awhile, you just don't bother making videos anymore.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (May 25, 2019 12:25PM)
[quote]On May 25, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
In my personal experience, if you post a video, you get a handful of folks complaining that you are diminishing the art by doing so. After awhile, you just don't bother making videos anymore. [/quote]

Always someone to complain. I was referring to posting them for a limited group like on the Café', not public like Youtube.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (May 25, 2019 02:11PM)
Then you get folks asking how you did your act, so they can rip you off without permission.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (May 25, 2019 03:09PM)
[quote]On May 25, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Then you get folks asking how you did your act, so they can rip you off without permission. [/quote]

Lol...I never was so arrogant as to believe my act was good enough to RIP off, only that it might entertain in some way. Good point though.

I have seen some pretty good ones from some of the Café' members over time but no one I know has ever complained someone stole their show.
Message: Posted by: Sean Xem (May 25, 2019 04:05PM)
[quote]On May 25, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
[quote]On May 25, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Then you get folks asking how you did your act, so they can rip you off without permission. [/quote]

Lol...I never was so arrogant as to believe my act was good enough to RIP off, only that it might entertain [/quote]

Agreed completely lol.

How bout some humility?
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (May 26, 2019 11:08AM)
It doesn't matter how good your act is; there will still be folks who will want to rip it off.

I'm not saying that my routines are perfect; far from it, in fact, as I am intimately aware of every little flaw. Even my videos which represent my best performance (at the time), and take advantage of the ability to edit out unnecessary moments, still have their fair share of flaws. And yet, I leave them up, mostly to document these routines.

I speak from experience, as whenever I share a link to one of these videos, invariably I'll receive a PM from someone asking which method I used (or where they can learn it), plus where to obtain the props that I use. It doesn't take a mind-reader to realize the intent of said person. But here's the catch; to duplicate any of my routines, will typically cost several hundred dollars just for the props alone, which is enough to scare away most wannabees.

So, humility has nothing to do with it. And there's nothing wrong with being proud of your act; which some choose to interpret as arrogance. But those acts took time and money to develop, and just because I choose to share some of my "retired" routines with the world via video, does not mean that I have granted permission for anyone to duplicate them. If anything, I am laying claim to my particular presentation. After I'm dead, then imitators are free to rip me off . . . er, pay homage to me, if they so choose. In the meantime, if you like one of my routines so much that you want to incorporate something similar in your act, then either do the work yourself to figure out how to recreate it, or else, ask how you can purchase the performance rights (which will often involve continuous royalties from every time you perform it).

Another reason not to post videos, is that whenever you do, you get the occasional comment where someone will "explain" how it is done. Usually the explanation is wrong, but no matter. That's why I moderate any comments on YouTube, and I have to keep constant vigilance on anything I post on TikTok. What baffles me is that some of the exposers post their own performance videos, and some of them even invite their followers to try to explain how their tricks are done.

So, there are many reasons why performers may choose not to post videos:
1. Criticism from other "performers" (armchair or otherwise)
2. Performers who plan to rip off the performance
3. Risk of exposure

Anyone care to add to the list?
Message: Posted by: The Curator (May 26, 2019 12:31PM)
I post several videos in French.
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (May 26, 2019 12:37PM)
[quote]On May 25, 2019, weepinwil wrote:
Always someone to complain. I was referring to posting them for a limited group like on the Café', not public like Youtube. [/quote]
Great idea.
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (May 26, 2019 02:43PM)
I don't usually post my act because I am going organic and natural with the props and don't look good naked anymore. Here is my explanation in video format:

https://www.facebook.com/don.harbin.73/posts/10218904511834293?notif_id=1558833357291975¬if_t=story_reshare
Message: Posted by: scottishpiper51 (May 26, 2019 03:46PM)
The link just takes me to your FB page. No video. :hmm:
Message: Posted by: weepinwil (May 26, 2019 04:06PM)
[quote]On May 26, 2019, scottishpiper51 wrote:
The link just takes me to your FB page. No video. :hmm: [/quote]

The video is on FB page (it isn't my page but don't tell anyone) You click the video showing Snake Oil Willie sitting in a truck.

Try this one by Stan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuby1blqDI