(Close Window)
Topic: Artists Dream
Hello,

I've seen plans for variations of "Artist's Dream" on several online magic retailer sites, but don't know that I've ever actually seen the actual illusion. I have a few shows scheduled for end of year at an art museum, and while I don't usually do big illusions, thought this could be a nice effect to have. I have a competent prop builder who has handled much of my work in the past - flea circuses, teleportation devices, illusions, etc. Nothing likely as grand as this, but I've had some doll house illusions and such built by him before and have been satisfied.....

Point being... I can build the thing, just not sure if I need to. Does anyone have any video or info of what this actually "does." Not asking for methods or secrets - just a visual or such so I can see if this is something I even want to do. Product descriptions are obviously vague...

Thanks.
Youtube artist's dream illusion
There are lots of versions. Jim Steinmeyer “artists daydream” might be a good choice for you. It’s in Device & Illusion but you can maybe get just the plan from him? Not sure.
Steve Wyrick - Illusions in his Artist's Loft - Beautifully routined and skillfully performed. Worth watching on YouTube.
There’s also a larger / more complex version called “Cubism” in Steinmeyers Technique & Understanding. Probably would want a pro builder for it and it would be crazy big to store/ travel with. But may give you ideas.

Also you could customize lady in puzzle to an art theme, that’s also in Steinmeyers Decice & Illusion
Thanks... I wasn't smart enough to add "illusion" to artist's dream when searching videos; and for the other posts with information and suggestions. Helpful...
I’ve got a bit more time to type and I really think Artists Daydream is your answer. Really simple to build and a practical small stage illusion.

You could customize the art piece to a piece in the museum even. The Steinmeyer routine has several painting titles in a bag, an audience member selects one at random, and then the lady appears in the frame dressed to match that title. So you could mention several of the museums paintings as you pull examples from the bag, could even be funny if there was a particularly violent or erotic piece in the museum.
I like the performance of Paul Daniels most!

https://youtu.be/LCq1cw_j7qM
The "Artist Dream" portion was more stagecraft than illusion in the Daniel's video, however it was just a small part of the larger effect of the presentation which was his version of the "Mascot Moth". This illusion was also recreated on stage by Doug Henning in his Broadway "Merlin" musical. There has been much written about this illusion by Steinmeyer and others, and it's difficulty in presentation.

The only person I have seen perform the "Artist Dream Illusion" (as created) was Peter Reveen ie. basic frame and a paper covered panel.

The "Vampire Illusion" or "Creo" is also an artist model "come-to-life" sort of illusion also.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
I have always liked Viktor Voitko's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yplxI2_7BbM