(Close Window)
Topic: New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast
With the ending of the 3 Mentalists and the Paul Brooks podcast, I've been kinda kicking around the idea of doing a mentalism podcast myself.

Well, I went ahead and put together the first episode of [b]The Mystery Arts Podcast[/b].

You can check it out at:

http://mysteryartspodcast.com/

It's currently hosted on Soundcloud, but if there's interest going forward, I'll get it on Apple and the other main platforms.

I have a background in music and audio, so even if you don't like my opinions, at least the audio sounds professional!

The first episode is sort of a pilot, and I'm still considering which direction I might want to go with the podcast.

This one is me introducing myself, giving my opinions on some of the 'standard' arguments (magic vs mentalism, etc) and talking a little about my performing philosophy. I also do a short review segment, where I review 'Phasma' by Phedon Bilek and 'Avalanche' by Paul Harris presents.

Would love to hear what you guys would like to hear on future shows, whether that's topics, guest suggestions, performing or routining discussions, etc. Feel free to post in this thread or in the comment box on the website.

Also, if you yourself are a performer, creator or otherwise have an interesting story with regards to the Mystery Arts, and you would be interested in being a guest, please contact me and we'll set up a time to have a conversation.

Cheers!

Matt
Well done, Matt. Appreciated your comment, "Let's be unifying, not divisive" re: magic and mentalism.

Also liked and agree with your insight that "art can be life-changing".

You have a good voice for podcasting....easy to listen to.

Looking forward to future episodes!
Cool, thanks!

Please do let me know if there are any topics you'd like to hear covered or guests you think I should hit up. It's wide open right now.

Cheers
Hey Matt,

Are you distributing your podcast broadly, or are you keeping it exclusive to SoundCloud?
Nice.Enjoyed it. I think we have a lot in common.
[quote]On Aug 3, 2019, j100taylor wrote:
Nice.Enjoyed it. I think we have a lot in common. [/quote]

Thanks! Episode 2 is already in the works.

[quote]On Aug 3, 2019, BillGladwell wrote:
Hey Matt,

Are you distributing your podcast broadly, or are you keeping it exclusive to SoundCloud? [/quote]

If there's interest, I'll definitely get it on Apple and the other major podcast option. Just using SC as an easy way to test the waters.

EDIT: I guess it's easier than I thought to get it on Apple. I should be able to set that up very soon.
If I can make a suggestion... You can upload it for free to Anchor.fm.

Anchor will take care of getting your podcast on all of the major podcatchers. It is a very easy way to shoot your podcast out to multiple platforms with very little effort.

Anchor continues to get better and better. Spotify recently purchased them, and as of now the service is still free to use.

A side gig of mine is producing podcasts for several successful podcasters, and we utilize Anchor frequently due to it’s ease of use for distribution.

I haven’t listened to your podcast yet, but I will within the next day or so. I am looking forward to it.

Bill
Oh, lol, I wish I had read this about an hour ago

I just manually submitted my RSS to Apple, Google, Stitcher and Spotify. Oh well!

I'll check out Anchor though, Thank you for the tip.
I have just been listening to the 1st one. A good introductory episode and it is always interesting to hear someone debating their opinions with themselves :-)

Personally I would like a little jingle or some sort of obvious break that divides the podcast into its various sections. Without that it can feel a little like a ramble. Just my opinion. I look forward to the next episode.
I’ll subscribe when it is on Apple
[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, Rik Gazelle wrote:
I have just been listening to the 1st one. A good introductory episode and it is always interesting to hear someone debating their opinions with themselves :-)

Personally I would like a little jingle or some sort of obvious break that divides the podcast into its various sections. Without that it can feel a little like a ramble. Just my opinion. I look forward to the next episode. [/quote]

Thanks!

Will do, great idea.

[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, Chris K wrote:
I’ll subscribe when it is on Apple [/quote]

Awesome. I'll post when it is. Hopefully in the next couple days, it's been submitted.

Next episode is going to be about the early history of mentalism! Definitely should be interesting.

Cheers,
Matt
Cheers and good luck, looking forward to it!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 4, 2019 02:50PM)
Wow! Nice!
Enjoyed it, thank you!
[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, lin wrote:
Enjoyed it, thank you! [/quote]

Thanks!

I have a handful of guests lined up already for future episodes, definitely stay tuned.

Ultimately I'm planning on an episode a week, but I'll have episode 2 out in a few days.
Hey Matt,

I got the chance to listen to your first episode this evening. Great job! I am looking forward to further episodes.

Bill
Great podcast! Hope you continue making more episodes.
[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Oh, lol, I wish I had read this about an hour ago

I just manually submitted my RSS to Apple, Google, Stitcher and Spotify. Oh well!

I'll check out Anchor though, Thank you for the tip. [/quote]

Hi Matt, is there any chance you can add the RSS feed as a link on the website? I personally use something other than Apple Podcasts or Spotify to listen to my podcasts, as I guess a lot of people do, and I can easily just paste an RSS link into my podcatcher, would love to subscribe.

Many thanks.

Richard.
[quote]On Aug 4, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

Next episode is going to be about the early history of mentalism! Definitely should be interesting.

[/quote]

Nice...looking forward to this!
[quote]On Aug 5, 2019, rmorrell wrote:

Hi Matt, is there any chance you can add the RSS feed as a link on the website? I personally use something other than Apple Podcasts or Spotify to listen to my podcasts, as I guess a lot of people do, and I can easily just paste an RSS link into my podcatcher, would love to subscribe.

Many thanks.

Richard. [/quote]

Our RSS feed, if you want to manually subscribe is:

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:677893190/sounds.rss

Edit: looks like the Café is truncating the address. Make sure to get the whole thing.

I'll put it on the site too though!

Also it's on Stitcher now:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mystery-arts-podcast?refid=stpr
Congratulations Last Laugh!

All constructive contributions are always appreciated.
[quote]On Aug 5, 2019, Amirá wrote:
Congratulations Last Laugh!

All constructive contributions are always appreciated. [/quote]

Thanks! Definitely keeping it positive and interesting.

___

It's officially on Spotify now.

Next episode is recorded, may be up later today.
Episode 2 is now live!

I cover the early history of mentalism and take a deep dive into the world of 19th century Spiritualism and the fraudulent mediums that originated many of the techniques and presentations that we see in modern day mentalism. Reviews of 'Invisible Writer' by Esteban Manazza and 'Mirage Envelopes' by Richard Osterlind.

Is available on Stitcher, Spotify, Soundcloud, and Google Play. Apple still pending, could take a few days.

http://mysteryartspodcast.com/
Hi Matt,

That is great thank you, subscribed and look forward to listening to it!
Episode 2 is wonderful! Matt takes us on a brief history of mentalism, in a quick-paced and fun manner with some interesting stories and details.

Really enjoyed this one.

The product reviews are excellent. In particular, appreciated the review of Richard Osterlind's Mirage Envelope.

At the end, there is a suprise bonus. A link to a 320 page book.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed.

As far as the contest, nobody has won yet, in fact only one person has submitted an answer! Guys, it's worth a guess at least, lol. I know it's out of most mentalists wheelhouse, but that was kind of the point...

I have a handful of great guests already lined up as well. Interviews will probably start in episode 4.

My ultimate goal is to get these out weekly (probably Mondays), but if possible I'll get a couple more out sooner so that I have some content for new listeners to binge.
Keep up the good work Matt. Episode 2 had a nice relaxed, cosy feel to it. I felt as if I was listening to a friend talking to me in the pub. Really looking forward to the guest chat. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Please put it on Apple. There are very few magic podcasts and some new stuff would be welcome (You can only listen to so many T11 roundtable podcasts).
[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, bluejay17! wrote:
Please put it on Apple. There are very few magic podcasts and some new stuff would be welcome [/quote]

This is a magic podcast? I thought it was about mentalism.
It is mainly about mentalism but he does say in the podcast that he is a magician as well and might discuss some magic related topics every now and then. And he did indeed discuss his views on magic vs. mentalism in the very first episode.
[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Rik Gazelle wrote:
Keep up the good work Matt. Episode 2 had a nice relaxed, cosy feel to it. I felt as if I was listening to a friend talking to me in the pub. Really looking forward to the guest chat. Thank you for taking the time to do this. [/quote]

Thanks Rik! There maybe one more solo podcast before I start with the interviews, depending on how quickly I can get people coordinated to chat. But I have at least 5 lined up already so it's definitely coming!

Please put it on Apple. There are very few magic podcasts and some new stuff would be welcome (You can only listen to so many T11 roundtable podcasts). [/quote]

It's been submitted to Apple, should be available soon. I'll post as soon as it's searchable. However you can subscribe through apple before they officially list it. Just go to your podcast app, click library (bottom) then edit (top right) then 'add by URL'. Then just paste in our RSS feed which can be found by going to this page:
http://mysteryartspodcast.com/how-to-listen

[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Please put it on Apple. There are very few magic podcasts and some new stuff would be welcome [/quote]

This is a magic podcast? I thought it was about mentalism. [/quote]

Yes it's a mentalism podcast. The first episode is mostly about why they're different and why they shouldn't be mixed. However, I also confess to being interested in magic as a hobby (yes, it's true). I only show magic to friends and family, never to clients, BUT I do really love magic and I follow it so I think there is going to be things of interest to both mentalists and magicians. I'd love your feedback if you have a chance to listen.

Thanks all!
[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Please put it on Apple. There are very few magic podcasts and some new stuff would be welcome (You can only listen to so many T11 roundtable podcasts). [/quote]

It's been submitted to Apple, should be available soon. I'll post as soon as it's searchable. However you can subscribe through apple before they officially list it. Just go to your podcast app, click library (bottom) then edit (top right) then 'add by URL'. Then just paste in our RSS feed which can be found by going to this page:

[/quote]

Got it to work, thanks!
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Aug 8, 2019 04:42PM)
[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Rik Gazelle wrote:
Keep up the good work Matt. Episode 2 had a nice relaxed, cosy feel to it. I felt as if I was listening to a friend talking to me in the pub. Really looking forward to the guest chat. Thank you for taking the time to do this. [/quote]

Thanks Rik! There maybe one more solo podcast before I start with the interviews, depending on how quickly I can get people coordinated to chat. But I have at least 5 lined up already so it's definitely coming!

[quote]On Aug 8, 2019, Mindpro wrote:

This is a magic podcast? I thought it was about mentalism. [/quote]

Yes it's a mentalism podcast. The first episode is mostly about why they're different and why they shouldn't be mixed. However, I also confess to being interested in magic as a hobby (yes, it's true). I only show magic to friends and family, never to clients, BUT I do really love magic and I follow it so I think there is going to be things of interest to both mentalists and magicians. I'd love your feedback if you have a chance to listen.

Thanks all! [/quote]

I wonder why you wouldn't show to clients? I think it is a very good way to sell yourself as an entertainer?
As I only perform mentalism professionally, I would only ever perform mentalism for clients, magic is more of a hobby. I think that might not have been written clearly enough, sorry!
I just listened to both episodes while riding through Maine on my motorcycle. I completely enjoyed them and look forward to more.
Thanks Anton! Sounds like a beautiful ride...

There should be another episode Monday if all goes to plan.

Update to all: There was an error in my metadata so Apple kicked it back to me. It's been resubmitted and I'll update here as soon as it's officially listed on Apple. You can still subscribe manually right now in Apple podcasts as described above.

Still nobody has won the contest from episode 2! I've got 3 copies of my video up for grabs. It's really not that hard, the options are pretty limited.
And it's finally officially on Apple!

Please subscribe if you haven't already :)

Thanks!
I really enjoyed listening to this. Look forward to the next episode.
Thanks Martin!

Next episode in the next day or two.
I am not sure if you can do this but if you could make your podcast available on the PocketCasts app I would really dig that! Usually once a podcast is on Apple it will show up in PocketCasts but yours hasn't yet.

Thanks,

Nathan
[quote]On Aug 11, 2019, Nathan Pain wrote:
I am not sure if you can do this but if you could make your podcast available on the PocketCasts app I would really dig that! Usually once a podcast is on Apple it will show up in PocketCasts but yours hasn't yet.

Thanks,

Nathan [/quote]

Thanks for the tip. It's only been on Apple for about 24 hours so that could be the reason. I'll check it out though, thanks!
It does appear to be on there now, I think maybe it just hadn't synced yet.

Here's the Pocketcast direct link for The Mystery Arts Podcast:

https://pca.st/8E9j

Thanks! I wasn't familiar with that Podcatcher.
Enjoyable listen - well done Matt! Loved that you had to clarify a "spirit wrap/rap"!! Funny.
You know kids today... but I confess, I love the idea of the Fox sisters trance channeling some freestyles.

My younger son loves 'The Who Was Show' on Netflix, which is a kids history/sketch comedy show and they do a lot of historical raps in full costume, I could totally see the Fox sisters on the show.

Thanks for listening! New episode *probably* tomorrow night.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 12, 2019 02:04PM)
Finally had the chance to listen, while driving home through France. (Which sounds a lot more romantic than it really was, as I had to take the toll roads and just drive as fast as I could). I really enjoyed this, wow! Matt has a great voice, knows a heck of a lot about both magic and mentalism and speaks eloquently and yet understandably (which is important, not being a native speaker). And he’s a great storyteller!

As you asked for feedback I would suggest:

More stories! You excel at telling ‘em (History of mentalism, perhaps biographies, history of tricks, anything!)
A couple more jjngles or bumpers. Maybe made by yourself, maybe changing from time to time. And tell us why you choose ‘em! It’s nice to get to know you better on other levels too, especially in this field as you have a background in music. And many magicians apparently have.
The reviews could be a bit longer and a bit more critical, I feel. Like saying what s exactly good about it, but also clearly state what you don’t like. I know you’re a mellow and positive guy, but I think you can be really positive and really critical at the same time. Madison probably wouldn’t agree, though 😄

Looking forward to number three! I’m a fan!
That link did the trick, THANKS!!

Nathan
[quote]On Aug 12, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Finally had the chance to listen, while driving home through France. (Which sounds a lot more romantic than it really was, as I had to take the toll roads and just drive as fast as I could). I really enjoyed this, wow! Matt has a great voice, knows a heck of a lot about both magic and mentalism and speaks eloquently and yet understandably (which is important, not being a native speaker). And he’s a great storyteller!

As you asked for feedback I would suggest:

More stories! You excel at telling ‘em (History of mentalism, perhaps biographies, history of tricks, anything!)
A couple more jjngles or bumpers. Maybe made by yourself, maybe changing from time to time. And tell us why you choose ‘em! It’s nice to get to know you better on other levels too, especially in this field as you have a background in music. And many magicians apparently have.
The reviews could be a bit longer and a bit more critical, I feel. Like saying what s exactly good about it, but also clearly state what you don’t like. I know you’re a mellow and positive guy, but I think you can be really positive and really critical at the same time. Madison probably wouldn’t agree, though 😄

Looking forward to number three! I’m a fan! [/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! This kind of stuff is very valuable, I'll definitely take all of your advice. I'll most definitely add some more music and make some bumpers or something. Though I listen to a ton of podcasts, I have been listening much more critically and taking notes. It's work in progress, I really appreciate the ideas.

[quote]On Aug 12, 2019, Nathan Pain wrote:
That link did the trick, THANKS!!

Nathan [/quote]

Okay great!
Really great job Matt.
Great topics, pacing, voice, thoughts, etc :)

Thanks
[quote]On Aug 13, 2019, 252life wrote:
Really great job Matt.
Great topics, pacing, voice, thoughts, etc :)

Thanks [/quote]

Thanks! Much appreciated.

________

Episode 3 is now out featuring a really fascinating interview with Christopher Taylor!
We talk about storytelling, martial arts, the creative process, electronics in mentalism, and lots more. Christopher is a really great guy, and though I've seen him lecture and bought some of his products, it was really cool to get a peek behind the curtain so to speak.

It was interesting and thought provoking for me, and I'm sure you guys will feel the same.

I think it sets a great tone for the type of interviews I want to do with the show, that is, not just the superficial stuff...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jwpQBBS.jpg[/img]
This was an enjoyable chat with Christopher Taylor and some interesting views on how to approach and use story-telling. One thing that I believe will stay with me is Christopher's enlightening view on 'Chi' - thought provoking stuff.

Thank you for your generosity in producing this for the community to enjoy.
Another wonderful, very enjoyable podcast. Thanks Matt and Christopher for a great listen.

Really appreciated Christopher's perspective on magic and mentalism...and so much more.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 13, 2019 01:53PM)
That was great! Really liked episode 3. I can’t get over how much we all have in common... I too play several musical instruments and sing like Matt, have spent years practicing martial arts like both Matt and Chris, have a wife like Chris that told me to go for it when I was in doubt to go pro, we dig storytelling and we all love to nerd out on magic sleights. 😁
I am in the middle of Ep 3...keep up the great work, Matt!

Nathan
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.

I wasn't sure what to expect as it's such a niche subject/audience, but it's been a little over a week since the launch and the pod has over 200 plays so far. Small change for some, but I think it's a great start and I've done basically zero promotion other than start this thread.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 14, 2019 05:10AM)
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Also love the electronic music! Very cool.

One of the things about Christopher Taylor that shines through is what a gentleman he is. If you ever buy anything from Christopher, you are in for a great experience. Excellent products and top notch customer service.

His Poor Mage's Billet System is wonderful.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 14, 2019 09:47AM)
You’re right. I haven’t bought anything from him yet but I immediately felt this is a guy you can trust.
Never been much into the 'tronics, but I think he may have influenced my thinking a little.
To paraphrase a great quote from Christopher. "If it adds a theatrical advantage"

Now I think I want an Eclipse! Hey, it's mentalism with COINS...

But yeah, such a cool guy. I hope I get to hang out with him sometime in real life.
Glad I checked into the Café. Will download and listen to this.
Just picked up his Poor Mage pdf and I really like it a lot (!).
I've been friends with Matt for a few years now, and he is one of the most intelligent guys I know(and one of my closer friends, even though we really only talk online). I am really happy he decided to do this podcast, because he deserves the recognition he is getting from this show. I know it's going to only get better and better.

Good on ya, brother!
I've been listening to these and they are very enjoyable. Taylor's view of magic vs. mentalism is spot on!
[quote]On Aug 15, 2019, GlennLawrence wrote:
I've been listening to these and they are very enjoyable. Taylor's view of magic vs. mentalism is spot on! [/quote]

Yeah I thought that was really interesting. On the surface it sounds like we have slightly different view points, i.e. I usually say that magic and mentalism are different (yet related) art forms and he sees them on a spectrum but the same general art, but dialing down, I think we are just expressing a very similar view point in a different way.

It's an interesting an idea, that the window of believability is more important than the actual type of effects.
Looking forward to the next episode. Any hints of what's coming next?
Episode is just being edited, it'll be up soon!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 03:32AM)
Yay!
Okay, it's up!

This week's episode is an interview with Iain Dunford.

It should have hit your feed if you're subscribed, or can be streamed at Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/04-iain-dunford
Uh oh...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 11:44AM)
:lol: looking forward, probably going to listen tomorrow!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 12:10PM)
BTW I would say Ecce Loquor is very applicable to an appearance on a podcast.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
BTW I would say Ecce Loquor is very applicable to an appearance on a podcast. [/quote]

I'm happy for it to be reviewed on there, but I didn't wanna talk about it as it felt like a plug and I didn't do the interview for free advertising...

But hopefully someone will review Ecce in Mentally Speaking at some point for good and bad..
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 12:19PM)
I like that. Thanks in advance. And my statement still stands I would say, as Look, I Speak applies to ... well, every podcast :lol:
It was a mild nod to Nietzsche by the way, and one of the chapter titles...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 12:33PM)
Oh really, I was wondering what you were referring to... Haven’t read any Nietzsche but did Classical Studies for two years, so I just translated it. What are you alluding to in Nietzsche and why? (Always nice to broaden my intellectual horizon!) Or do you explain that to Matt in the podcast?
Wonderful episode!

Great to hear IAIN's voice after reading his writings for years.
"Ecce Homo: How One Becomes What One Is is the last original book written by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche before his final years of insanity that lasted until his death in 1900"

He was quite misunderstood, had lots of interesting things to say and was an influence on me. Same with the Stoics.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Wonderful episode!

Great to hear IAIN's voice after reading his writings for years. [/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it...voices always sound different when recorded eh...I sound deeper in my head!
Listening now and really enjoying it. Good stuff thx :)
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, IAIN wrote:
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
BTW I would say Ecce Loquor is very applicable to an appearance on a podcast. [/quote]

I'm happy for it to be reviewed on there, but I didn't wanna talk about it as it felt like a plug and I didn't do the interview for free advertising...

But hopefully someone will review Ecce in Mentally Speaking at some point for good and bad.. [/quote]

Yeah, Iain was adamant that we didn't do plugs for his new book in the interview. I respect that of course, and I even edited out a short reference that I snuck into the interview. I did mention it in the wrap up, though.

However it wouldn't be 'free advertising' because Iain spent an hour of his time and helped to give me some great content for my show! That's how I think about it, I want it to be a win win. Anyway, I did link to the Lulu in the show description, so I hope he gets a little boost at least!

[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, IAIN wrote:
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Wonderful episode!

Great to hear IAIN's voice after reading his writings for years. [/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it...voices always sound different when recorded eh...I sound deeper in my head! [/quote]

I bet you sound deeper in person too. Your computer picks up a narrower range of frequencies and doesn't get bass. I have a nice mic and I'm right up on it so it sounds bassier. Kind of a cheat, really.

I was trying to find a way to say this on the pod, but just left it out, cause it sounds very wrong if you don't hang out at the Café, but I'll post it here:

Iain was so nice! Pleasantly surprised at what a gentleman he was. Lol... I
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 19, 2019 01:59PM)
Ah. Influenced by Zeno. Reflected in the calm and composed nature of your posts.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Iain was so nice! Pleasantly surprised at what a gentleman he was. Lol... [/quote]

Hahahahaha!

I tend to talk back to the person in the same way they do to me...
I actually recorded a 5 minute or so musing on the odd nature of forum friends, and how knowing someone only based on written interactions has some interesting qualities. I suppose it's not exactly a new phenomenon, people have been corresponding by letters for millenia, but it is interesting. Forums and such just expedite the whole process. Ended up deleting it as it was a little rambly and didn't really add anything.

Oh, small correction! I said that the quote about people being attracted to the mystery arts because they wanted power was by Chritopher Taylor. Christopher was actually quoting Max Maven. Christopher added the observation that it's something that martial arts and the mystery arts have in common. Sorry Max!
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I actually recorded a 5 minute or so musing on the odd nature of forum friends, and how knowing someone only based on written interactions has some interesting qualities. I suppose it's not exactly a new phenomenon, people have been corresponding by letters for millenia, but it is interesting. Forums and such just expedite the whole process. Ended up deleting it as it was a little rambly and didn't really add anything.[/quote]

This is something I think about a lot. I have several close friends who I only know online, like you for example. And while my online friends know me better than most, they would also probably be pretty shocked at my real world personality.
So many gems in this conversation! Including Iain's "Alpha Male Diffuser". Brilliant!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 23, 2019 09:52AM)
What a great episode. Love your style of interviewing, Matt, it feels like you bring out the best in people. Loved the authentic language of Iain and the Alpha-male thingy. And good reviews, as well! If there’s one thing there I would like to hear in the reviews it would be a little more of a description of what a performance exaclty looks like and your personal experience performing the effect (how did you feel doing it, was it fun to practice, what exacty did people say afterwards, that kinda stuff). Please continue, I’m a fan!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 23, 2019 09:58AM)
BTW So we’ve got Wado Ryu, Wing Chun and kickboxing, a private family style Kung Fu... I personally mainly did Tae Kwon Do, some kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I’m not even going to start on all the instruments everyone plays. My point is that it’s clear that if this forum ever stops we can start a band or Fight Club.
Guess I’ll add to the martial arts pile on lol.
Kajukenbo
Arnis
Hsing-I

The first rule of mentalism club...
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 23, 2019 11:23AM)
LOL. Some pretty exotic arts there. Had to look up Hsing-I. Always wanted to learn Arnis...
Loved the latest episode. Iain is quite the character and definitely the kind of guy I'd like to have a beer with!
Ooh, Kajukenbo. Definitely a focus on 'practical'. Did your school do the thing where they randomly jump you in the park? I saw that on one of those fight quest type tv shows.

Also to add, I only mentioned Wing Chun because we were talking traditional, but I've also trained Muay Thai, BJJ, and a little Jeet Kun Do.

The Max Maven/Christopher Taylor quote seems to be quite apt... Most of use were probably dorks that were looking for a way to feel more powerful.
Yeah, the group jumpings were a weekly event lol. (“Multi man”)
But, that type of training takes its toll on you over the years I’ve found.
The stick and knife fighting stuff always feels good though, unless you catch one in the knuckles :/
That multi man background definitely helps me with watching my angles when performing though lol
[quote]On Aug 23, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
If there’s one thing there I would like to hear in the reviews it would be a little more of a description of what a performance exaclty looks like and your personal experience performing the effect (how did you feel doing it, was it fun to practice, what exacty did people say afterwards, that kinda stuff).[/quote]

To be totally honest, I've been tacking the review section on last minute, often recording late at night, and I admit I haven't put as much thought into it as I could. I totally agree that it could have more to it and it's definitely something I want to improve.

As the show goes forward, if the review section stays in (right now I think it will) it's likely going to be more and more stuff that I have read and played with but not performed extensively. That's because I rarely add new material to my professional act and I don't perform socially all that much.

While that's not necessarily as optimal as having extensively performed something, at least I have enough performing experience to have a pretty good idea of what will work.

Also, everything I've reviewed so far is something I've had for a little while. In the future, I'll be getting stuff more specifically for the purpose of reviewing, so it will be a little more fresh I think.

I really appreciate the feedback! Definitely still lots of room for improvement. Turns out that producing a weekly podcast is actually a fair bit of work!
[quote]On Aug 23, 2019, 252life wrote:
Yeah, the group jumpings were a weekly event lol. (“Multi man”)
But, that type of training takes its toll on you over the years I’ve found.
The stick and knife fighting stuff always feels good though, unless you catch one in the knuckles :/
That multi man background definitely helps me with watching my angles when performing though lol [/quote]

Lol, yeah. I'm too old for that kind of sh** anymore.

Angles, ha.
Ditto lol. Reminds me o an old saying, “you can tell more about a person by their scars then you can their tattoos”.
Always appreciated that one.
Hey last laugh,
Just caught up with your podcasts. Excellent stuff, I’m getting so much out of them. Keep them coming,

Best,

Séa
Really enjoying the podcasts as well.
Thanks for the kind words aimed at me... I felt very odd doing it for the first few minutes then found my feet... I appreciate any and all feedback... and for those that have picked up stuff of mine since, thanks for that too (so you know, I spend it on my dad as he lives with me :) he's a lovely man)…

I hope Matt continues with these, and maybe it might be worth doing a different "step" of mentalism in the future if he gets bored interviewing people like me, and ask various people for comments on each step....that might be fun...

I felt a little out of my depth to be honest but in a good, challenging way...
You killed it. Looking forward to reading your book
[quote]On Aug 24, 2019, seamagu wrote:
Hey last laugh,
Just caught up with your podcasts. Excellent stuff, I’m getting so much out of them. Keep them coming,

Best,

Séa [/quote]

Thanks! Glad to hear that. Next one out tomorrow night US time.

[quote]On Aug 24, 2019, IAIN wrote:

I hope Matt continues with these, and maybe it might be worth doing a different "step" of mentalism in the future if he gets bored interviewing people like me, and ask various people for comments on each step....that might be fun...

[/quote]

That's a very interesting idea!

I definitely have a handful of interviews lined up, but I've been thinking about adding another segment or something. Having it be something a bit more practical and constructive might be really nice for the listeners. Will definitely think about that!

Another idea was to cover mysteries in magic, along the lines of 51 faces north, the Berglas effect, the Piddingtons, maybe the Osterlind penny bend.

The show keeps getting longer and longer though...
I’m happy to listen to whatever you put out. The longer the better. Feed the addicts :)
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 24, 2019 09:22PM)
Thanks for your enghusiasm and dedication, Matt. Believe me, I can appreciate how much work this is. I think you are really good at it. I also think you have a combination of qualities and character traits that are quite unique and that make this work so well.
[quote]On Aug 24, 2019, 252life wrote:
I’m happy to listen to whatever you put out. The longer the better. Feed the addicts :) [/quote]

Okay good to know. I guess I like long podcasts too. Within reason of course (Anyone listen to Hardcore History? lol)

[quote]On Aug 24, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Thanks for your enghusiasm and dedication, Matt. Believe me, I can appreciate how much work this is. I think you are really good at it. I also think you have a combination of qualities and character traits that are quite unique and that make this work so well. [/quote]

Well thanks! I really appreciate the good vibes. I'm lucky that I work mostly from home so I can work on this in my 'spare' time.
Having these conversations has been enlightening and definitely thought provoking and it's definitely going to help me grow as a performer and human. And also, having to listen to myself talk (during the editing process) is making me think about being more intentional and clear with my words.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 25, 2019 04:54AM)
:lol: I know that feeling... Nothing more confronting than listening to yourself. "Hey, that sounds really different from what it sounded like in my head at that moment :lol:
Okay episode 5 is up!
This week I talk to Sean Waters. An absolutely great guy and brilliant creator. We talk about all kinds of stuff, his history, creative process, logical disconnects and layering, ethics and the topic of disclaimers, and lots more. Really good stuff.

The review is 'Pure' by Adrian Fowell. Some new beats and electronic music as well. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/05-sean-waters
Matt,

Thanks so much for having me (and for the kind regards). It was a lot of fun talking with you about one of my favorite subjects. You are a fantastic host and a great guy yourself.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 26, 2019 01:42PM)
I’m looking forward to my next long drive to a gig, listening to you two!
[quote]On Aug 26, 2019, Waters. wrote:
Matt,

Thanks so much for having me (and for the kind regards). It was a lot of fun talking with you about one of my favorite subjects. You are a fantastic host and a great guy yourself. [/quote]

I definitely learned something! Your thoughts on creativity and layering were golden. I went back and looked up your match effect btw. Excellent solution! Made me smile...

Also, the harmonica interruption was edited out of the main interview only because of time constraints, but it's at the end after the outro.

Thanks again!
Thanks Matt for the fun episodes!
Thanks for listening!
Listening now!!!!!!!
Very much enjoying listening to these. For me, personally, they are now getting a bit too long. I thought the 45 minutes of the early episode was about right. Leave them wanting more, and all that.
Noted, thanks Martin. Still working out that aspect.
Agree with Martin, although don't get me wrong, I still listened to the whole thing! Good conversation about whether mentalism should be presented as "the real thing" or just illusion, or somewhere in between, letting the audience come to their own conclusion (or not).
I appreciate the feedback, definitely helpful.
I have just finished listening to the Iain Dunford podcast and it is another fascinating talk. Even the unfortunate sound issues did not detract.

I will add my voice to those commenting on the increased length of the podcast. At 30 minutes it falls into the "I have a spare moment, I will just give that a listen while I have a cup of tea and a biscuit (cookie)" category. Any longer and I have to give it more consideration. At an hour or more I really have to start start planning when I am going to listen to it. With so many other distractions in my daily life that is not always easy.

I have really enjoyed all the podcasts I have heard so far and I am looking to forward to listening to the Sean Waters episode (I have his "Not Just A River In Deutschland" book). You have a pleasant and charmingly relaxed style with these podcasts so do please continue them.
I'll put up a message for the other side of the argument, I listen to a lot of podcasts, tech/apple, politics, interview, magic etc. and quite a lot of them run to the 90mins to 2hr mark, I really don't mind longer form and appreciate that it can allow a deeper conversation than a quick 30 minute chat might do.

I listen to my podcasts using the Castro app on my iPhone (Overcast is another good app) and listen to them on an increased speed, I have gotten used to listening now at 1.5 or sometimes even 1.7 times the normal speed which lets me get through them at a quick pace but doesn't really detract, once you get used to it you can still very much take it all in and you get the longer form.

Either way I know what work goes into recording, editing and posting stuff like this so thank you Matt for all your work just thought I would put in a vote for the other side!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I personally like longer episodes with podcasts I subscribe to, as my day is structured in a way that I have plenty of time to listen as I'm doing other things. But I do understand that some prefer shorter.

I realize that it seems like they've been getting longer every week, but that's not intentional. The next one will probably be around an hour.

My current target is to keep them around 50-60 minutes, but there may well be times they are longer or shorter.

For a weekly podcast, a one hour show is considered fairly standard, especially when there is an interview. And as Rich says, there are quite a few that regularly run over 90 minutes.

Thanks for listening!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Aug 28, 2019 01:06PM)
Matt, next week I have to drive from Amsterdam to Breda for a gig. Google Maps says that will take me 67 minutes. Please make sure the podcast will last 69 minutes (I need time to park my car). Thanks in advance.
I subscribed and started listening last night. Excellent work so far. I’ll add my voice to those championing longer episodes too. Obviously the longer format allows you to go into more detail but, in my experience of listening to an awful lot of podcasts, it also allows time for the conversation to steer into areas that 30mins just won’t accommodate. If I can’t fit an entire episode in on one listen, I just pause it and continue it when I have more spare time. It doesn’t diminish the conversation at all for me. Anyway, keep up the good work. I know these things take a lot more effort to put together than a lot of people realise and you have my appreciation for that. Thank you.
Thanks Woolfie!
Just a heads up, next episode will likely drop on Monday night and not tomorrow.

Going forward, Monday is going to be target release day instead of Sunday.

Thanks!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 1, 2019 03:16AM)
Finally got around to listening to the last episode. Loved the music and the reviews! Lenght was fine for me, I like both the shorter and longer versions. :)

One thing that was a little disappointing to me was the amount of general statements by Sean in the interview. By this I mean things like stating that adding layers adds to deceptiveness, if you take 5 mins of someone's time you better make it worthwile, etc. What would make it interesting is if he would explain what that means to him by giving examples of how he uses these principles in his creations. Even just describing more of his effects and how he presents them would help. I think you can do this without tipping (too) much of the method(s). This was far too general to be interesting, I felt. Both Iain and Chris were much more specific and detailed in everything they told.

Looking forward to the next one!
Unmasked,

I think your point about specificity is valid. It was difficult trying to talk about combining methods without speaking directly to particular methods. Right or wrong, I felt l like I should not be speaking directly about them. So, I can understand your point.

If we were all in a room this would have been much more specific. Also, I don’t have a linear process to share, just a NEED to create things. So, stating a direct process that is a formula would be dishonest. It’s my first interview of this sort so I have learned from the experience. If I were lecturing on effects, the effects themselves become the discussion. I agree that Christopher and Ian were interesting!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 1, 2019 08:54AM)
Hey Sean, thanks for your reaction! Really appreciate it. I hope you don’t take it personally, as it’s not meant that way at all. I fully understand the difficulty in trying to express yourself and at the same time worrying about what you have to hold back. I’ve done similar interviews and listened to myself afterwards. That’s how I know. 😉
I think it was fair and I am not offended. I think a constructive exercise about methods (and ways to creatively address a creative challenge) would have been helpful.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 1, 2019 10:50AM)
In an interview.l I’m mostly interested in getting to know YOU. So if you describe exactly which parts of which books and which effects by which performers etc. inspired you to create an effect and how that process played out I would really enjoy that. And learn from it by looking through your eyes. The more personal and the more detailed the better. Because I know my own view on the world quite well. So I really enjoy a different outlook and I always find I learn something. For me that is the essence of an interview.
I think dealing with such a nuanced subject, there really aren't too many direct answers, especially with such a non-linear process. I think that Sean actually did a great job of addressing the questions and topics in an expansive way.

I also am still learning about interviewing, as it's a brand new art for me. It's a balance of slightly directing the conversation while still letting the interviewee talk.

I certainly got a lot out of the conversation.
So, I guess I've earned some kind of 'new podcaster badge' because I just had my first technical issue resulting in the loss of an interview.

I had recorded a great interview with a very interesting and talented person, but unfortunately it's unusable.

I'm going to do my best to bang out a solo episode, and luckily the person has graciously agreed to do another take, but the next episode will not feature an interview.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 1, 2019 11:50PM)
Oh man... sorry to hear that... SH.
Hmmm...are you sure it wasn't psychic energy coming from the interviewee that interfered with the recording?

Once I had a coaching call with a world famous mentalist. Afterwards I went to leave my house, reached in my pocket to grab my keys, and one of the keys was bent.

True story!
Ha, maybe so.
So, despite losing this weeks interview to technical difficulties, I banged out a solo episode. It's about mysteries and legends in magic and mentalism.
Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/06unsolved-mysteries
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 2, 2019 10:53PM)
Yay!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 4, 2019 01:58AM)
What an enjoyable episode. I loved the extra music playing in the background when you talk, it mixed beautifully with your voice. And man, you are really good at telling stories. I got to learn a whole lot about the art that I didn't know before. Thanks.
I also really liked this episode as I always love hearing stories about the history of the art. I had actually seen something about the Home Levitation on one of those TV shows like Unsolved Mysteries or Beyond Bizarre but it was so many years ago I had completely forgotten about it until your mention jogged my memory. Maybe someone else here remembers seeing it and can recall which show it was. In any case I do have one small complaint. In your talking about these legendary effects that are shrouded in mystery you forgot the most famous and legendary of them all- The Indian Rope Trick! OK it's not strictly mentalism but really, neither is ACAAN. Most would consider it a magic effect, at best Mental Magic but not mentalism. I would have thought that at least the rope trick would merit a mention among these others. Other than that it was a great episode and shows you don't need an interview to keep it interesting!

Keep up the great work!
D'oh! You're right, how did I forget that one...

Well, maybe I'll make it a series. I bet there are some others out there.
Enjoyed listening to episode # 4!

Love the product reviews.

Keep up the great work, Matt!
Okay Episode 7 is live!

This week I interviewed David Thiel. We learn his origin story, his views on mentalism, magic, and performing as a business. Included is some great advice for those considering going pro and some tips for getting more work if you already are working professionally.

In the review section, I talk about David Thiel's book 'Windows Into the Soul -- Unlocking The Secrets of Body Language' and 'Black Door' by Riccardo Berdini.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/07-mentalism-as-a-business-with-david-thiel
Nice! I will listen to this right away!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 01:04AM)
Perfect timing! My gig this week is today and it’s a 90 min drive. :)
David Thiel, always appreciate listening to his wisdom. I've learned much from reading his posts over the years.

Matt, regarding your request for suggestions on compensation to make the podcast sustainable, I like the idea of a monthly Patreon fee. But rather than just a bonus interview, perhaps consider the bonus content will include the interviewee teaching an effect, or including a something of value that would serve as an introduction to their material. In other fields, some authors provide a free sample (the first 2 or 3 chapters of their new book) as a way to introduce their work. If people like it, they can then buy the full book.

Personally not a fan of the sponsorship or commercial approach on podcasts.

Thank you Matt and David for a wonderful episode!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 10, 2019 09:40AM)
What a great suggestion, Stunninger! That really resonates with the feeling I get when listening: I would really like to get to know the interviewees better through their work. The thought “I wish I had an example of their creations to check out now” went through my mind literally after every interview. I’d be very happy if this way of making the podcast sustainable would be adopted.

I really enjoyed this episode. Great interview (loved the “swinging dead cats”, had to laugh out very loud, David). Really enjoyed the contrast between David’s very concise and Matt’s more chaotic way of talking. I enjoy both, I find. And very informative reviews. Thanks very much, Matt. And David.
Matt: It was a pleasure talking to you. I appreciate your searching spirit and insightful questions.

Thanks for having me. It was a pleasure.

David
[quote]On Sep 10, 2019, David Thiel wrote:
Matt: It was a pleasure talking to you. I appreciate your searching spirit and insightful questions.

Thanks for having me. It was a pleasure.

David [/quote]

It was great to hear you again David!
You could hear how well thought out David is about the business of Mentalism. Great listen!
Just listened to Davids interview.
What a treat! Great job guys, thanks tons.
Episode 8 is out, another solo show, more mentalism history. This time I talk about the venerable Robert Nelson. A little bit of a shorter episode this time.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/08-mentalism-history-robert-a-nelson
Just started getting into this. Great job on the tech side. As a podcast runner myself I know how hard it can be to get the sound right. That is something that I still struggle with at times. I started with the intro episode and then listened to David’s interview which was fantastic. It has a lot of great suggestions on booking gigs and general thinking on Mentalism that I really enjoyed and learned from. I then listened to some of the history episodes such as Nelson and then the first one on the history of Mentalism and I was a bit turned off. There is a presupposition in your presentation that all psychic arts are fraudulent. That’s disappointing. However, it didn’t lose me. When I first started performing Mentalism I was for a time pulled into the materialist and skeptic mind set so I understand where you are coming from and I can hear the fear in your voice when you speak to the possibility of things that go outside of that mindset. There is a lot of negative pressure in the fake magic community to put the mystical and real magic side of things into the broom closet. This always confused me.

I look forward to listening to more interviews as the info on the worker side of things is very valuable. When you get into the conversations on history and spiritualism you might want to consider that you are pushing your own beliefs when you make statement that certain things are bogus or fraud etc... I know there are people in the psychic community that take advantage of the vulnerable and who truly are frauds, but that doesn’t mean we all are. Every industry in the world has people who are trustworthy and the possibility of those who take advantage or misuse their power. Sadly the bad apples have painted a negative picture on the metaphysical world especially from the eyes of a fake magician. It is possible to be interested and have studied magic, perform Mentalism, and be part of the mind body spirit community without deception or fraudulent behaviour. Some of what seems confusing in the history is just that, an interest in all mysterious things.
But Matt, Nelson wrote a whole load of books precisely about using non-psychic means to make it seem like you had genuine psychic ability...and how to keep a repeat client list for your readings side gig and so on... he never really advocated "doing it for real" he advocated the exact opposite by releasing so many books on it! :)

if people are interested in "doing it for real" then they either have to choose to be as honest as they can be upfront about what is going on, OR...they can release a book on how to give psychic readings and it would be one page long, saying "simply use your psychic ability to give the reading"... :yippee:
Thanks for listening Stuart.

The materialist side of things is not the only thing I'm intent on presenting. I definitely talk about my beliefs and being open to the possibility of real psi in other episodes.

I'm personally not a skeptic, but I am a mentalist, so I walk both paths.

And Iain is right- Nelson himself was a bit cynical on the subject, which is perhaps why this one comes of that way (if it does).

It's not my intention to be dismissive of the possibility of the real stuff, but as mentalists, we very much come from a line of people that used trickery to fake first spiritualist phenomenon, then mind reading. And so far, the trickery and deception has been what I've been exploring.

I certainly hear your point, and, though my intention has always been to be open minded and not dismissive, I will consider being more explicit in that. Thank you for listening.
“I'm personally not a skeptic, but I am a mentalist, so I walk both paths.”

Well stated and agreed
Hey Matt, really liked the latest episode! I didn't realize Nelson invented all those things. I guess I can forgive him for sponge bunnies given his other accomplishments:-)
And on the Hellstronism, I recall that Criss Angel Mindfreak had an episode devoted to it, although can't remember too much about it years later.
Lol, yeah. Definitely never would have guessed sponge bunnies were a Nelson invention.

He was an extremely prolific guy.

Regarding Nelson learning Hellstromism, the non-contact mind reading thing is especially tantalizing. As I said in the podcast, Nelson believed that contact mind reading was the gateway to real ESP, and it may well be if he was able to do it without contact on occasion. Damon Reinbold recalls a story where he demonstrates non-contact mind reading to Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell after they played the Ohio State Fair. Nani, without writing anything down silently thought of an action that she wanted Bob to do, and he did it. I suppose the cynical minded could think it was actually a setup, but considering there are others that have reported being able to do it, I'm inclined to believe that it happened.

I think I mentioned this as well, but William Walker Atkinson (not a mentalist, rather an occultist and philosopher) wrote a book called 'Practical Mind Reading' which teaches how to do contact mind reading, but does not consider it a trick (maybe it's fair to say it isn't) and also considers it a gateway to higher forms of ESP. It's worth a look, can be read here:

https://archive.org/details/practicalmindrea00atkirich/page/n3
Hellstromism aka CMR aka MR has a long and twisty history.

I got interested in it after seeing Osterlind presenting it at a workshop he’d invited me to in Vegas after MindVention one year. It was one of four things that left me ‘gobsmacked.’ By that, I mean that I was unable to speak for a few minutes. (If you know me, you know how rare that is.) It is one of the closest things to “real” mind reading that I can imagine. It blew me away because I was the volunteer who led Richard right to a pen that was hidden under a paper in the middle of the room. And I KNOW I wasn’t helping him.

So I became obsessed with learning this method. It’s not complicated but it does take a lot of practice.

The best book I know of on the subject is actually the one Osterlind wrote after that particular workshop. It’s a step by step guide that cuts all the fluff from the explanation. Clear and concise.

The volunteer doesn’t speak. You genuinely don’t know where the object is hidden — or for that matter what the object even is — you focus on your subject utterly and you know what they were thinking. What’s the difference between that and ‘real’ mind reading?

David
Episode 9 is live!

I had a great time talking with [b]Drew Backenstoss[/b] this week. We had a fun and freewheeling chat and I know you guys are really going to enjoy the conversation. In the review section I talk about 'The Surprise' by Think Nguyen.

Listen and subscribe on the usual podcast apps or you can listen (or download) directly from Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/09-drew-backenstoss
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 24, 2019 02:21AM)
Yay!
Matt's description of our chat as "fun and freewheeling" is spot on (well... I had a loads of fun at least!). I believe Matt had some questions planned but my stream-of-conscious tendencies derailed his plans :) Hopefully listeners will take SOMETHING of value from the episode (and that full well may be to steer clear of me haha).

I want to thank Matt for inviting me on and for taking the initiative to start such a niche podcast in the first place! It's clearly a labor of love and he does a great job.

Best wishes,

Drew
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 27, 2019 09:42AM)
Really enjoyed the episode. Thanks, guys.
And episode 10 is up!

After Matt Pulsar's post above, I reached out and invited him on the podcast. He graciously accepted and we had a very illuminating chat. He's a very entertaining and funny guy.

Also new this episode, the mid-interview music break is from a guest artist named Jason Smith. Not sure if he's a member here, but he is a fellow magician/mentalist. He kindly allowed me to use one of his songs for the podcast (which was great since I didn't have anything new this week).

I still didn't quite finish Drew's book so no review this week.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/10-matt-pulsar
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Sep 30, 2019 11:51PM)
Perfect timing, I gotta drive to a gig today. Looking forward to the drive now! 😎
Late to the party, but really enjoying these podcasts.

Keep it up Matt!
Glad you are enjoying! Thanks for listening!
Thanks for having me on Matt, it was great chatting with you. I'm glad you are doing this.
[quote]On Sep 19, 2019, David Thiel wrote:
Hellstromism aka CMR aka MR has a long and twisty history.

I got interested in it after seeing Osterlind presenting it at a workshop he’d invited me to in Vegas after MindVention one year. It was one of four things that left me ‘gobsmacked.’ By that, I mean that I was unable to speak for a few minutes. (If you know me, you know how rare that is.) It is one of the closest things to “real” mind reading that I can imagine. It blew me away because I was the volunteer who led Richard right to a pen that was hidden under a paper in the middle of the room. And I KNOW I wasn’t helping him.

So I became obsessed with learning this method. It’s not complicated but it does take a lot of practice.

The best book I know of on the subject is actually the one Osterlind wrote after that particular workshop. It’s a step by step guide that cuts all the fluff from the explanation. Clear and concise.

The volunteer doesn’t speak. You genuinely don’t know where the object is hidden — or for that matter what the object even is — you focus on your subject utterly and you know what they were thinking. What’s the difference between that and ‘real’ mind reading?

David [/quote]

I'm just now seeing this, have subscribed and will be listening soon. David, I remember this very workshop; I was sitting next to you! I really enjoyed not only watching Richard demonstrate this, but the looks on the faces of the attendees as they participated. Fun stuff.
Hey guys- quick note to say there won't be a podcast this week. This is your opportunity to catch up on past episodes!

I'll be back next week with a great interview and some overdue reviews.
And... due to having no power for 4 days out here in Cali, no episode this week either.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 15, 2019 12:42AM)
Whoa! You guys ok? How is the food in the fridge doing? And how do you even get on the internet?
Lol, well, we packed the fridge with ice and I was able to get a hot spot on my phone intermittently, but it was definitely a challenge!

Something like a million people were without power.

It's back now, thankfully.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 15, 2019 11:32AM)
The fact that parts of Cali had no power due to the wind and dry land was on the news here. When I saw that an area around lake Tahoe was involved I already thought “that could be Matt”! Good to hear you managed to get through allright.
New episode out with Scott Creasey!

As always, you can listen and subscribe on Apple podcasts, Google, Stitcher, etc, or on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/11-scott-creasey
Fantastic interview with Scott Creasey! Looking forward to 22!
Yep, got a couple hot 'breaking news' items in the interview!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 22, 2019 02:45AM)
Luckily I sendom spend the night in hotels after gigs, as Holland is small enough to drive back home. But yesterday I had a gig in Brussels (Belgium), so I was stuck in a warm room (why are hotel rooms always too warm and lack fresh air?!). And I was not looking forward to drive 3 hours back today but ... hey! This is a ray of sunshine on my way back home! Thanks, Matt!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 24, 2019 12:10AM)
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Great to learn more about Scott.
Unbelievably, the public power is shut off again this weekend. We have a small generator so I think I can get the episode mostly edited and done, but working off of my cell phone hot spot negates uploading the giant file to Soundcloud. So, depending on when the power is restored, the latest episode will be out in the next couple of days.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Oct 28, 2019 03:36PM)
Whoa! Good luck there, Matt! (Hope your wife is a bit warmer this time...)
Hey Matt,

Maybe consider interviewing Christopher Carter. He knows how to generate electricity with his mind. If he could teach you, might come in handy!

Seriously though, sorry you and your family are having to deal with another power outage. That's no fun, for sure.
Lol, there you go! If only...
Good luck with the power, I imagine its due to the fires :( I live down by Los Angeles and we have had some similar issues recently. Just wanted to say love the podcast, been plugging it to everyone I know :) if you ever make it to LA area hit me up, would love to chat mentalism, maybe catch a show at the Castle.
Yeah, they've been proactively turning it off when there are high winds. Even so there have been fires...

Thanks for the plugs! Will definitely hit you up if I make it down there.
Hello Last Laugh,

I'm really enjoying the podcasts and hope you keep 'em a-coming!

You made an off-hand comment on the segment interviewing our esteemed colleague, Iain, that can't go unchallenged though. You indicated that the pronunciation of Latin is unknown, or something to that effect.

That's not exactly true. Thanks to the vast wealth of Roman poetry which has survived for over two millennia, and knowing that poets then (just like today) employed rhyming, alliteration and other phonetic devices, scholars have quite a few clues to work with in deducing what it must have sounded like. And of course, just like the offspring of a human being often shows similarities to the parent, likewise our modern Romance languages (especially Italian) also tell us quite a bit about the tongue from which they came.

I'd be willing to bet Iain would have no trouble interesting the mentalists of Rome with a book entitled "Behold! I speak!" announced in their own language.

But in all seriousness, linguists have quite a few secrets too which seem miraculous to the rest of us. Incidentally, I took up the study of Latin at age 65, and at the outset spent quite a bit time mastering what's now called the Reconstructed Classical Pronunciation. Should I bump into a time machine, I'll report back if Julius Caesar and I managed to strike up a conversation.

Now, back to mentalism...and keep up the great work!

Thomas Henry
Thomas:
Wow, now that is really interesting! I had no idea, that's great info. I am always grateful to stand corrected.

To all:
A new episode is forthcoming very soon. The power outages and fires have not only set my technical production back but also kept my kids home which, in turn, sets production back.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 2, 2019 02:01AM)
I happen to know that your next guest did Classical Studies. He can confirm that what Thomas just posted is correct! The same goes for Classical Greek. It's pretty far off from our pronunciation at school and at uni.
Finally got the latest episode out!

I talked to a certain someone who you might be familiar with from this here forum! In this episode, he is finally 'Unmasked'.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/12-maarten-willemse

Maarten (who's name I managed to butcher, despite my best intentions) is one of the top corporate entertainers in The Netherlands. He is a great guy, warm, funny and really interesting. He's got a very unique approach to the mystery arts and his origin story is a great tale.

Enjoy!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 5, 2019 01:39AM)
Thanks for having me, Matt! In regards to butchering my name: I returned the favor by butchering the English language as a whole, I noticed. So we’re good.
Lol. Not at all. You speak more fluently than many native speakers... I think I finally figured out the 'aa' sound. Right after I finished recording.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 5, 2019 10:28AM)
I will personally verify that, ladies and gentlemen. I will report back.
The interview with Maarten is wonderful!! I particularly enjoyed the second half.

Very much looking forward to you having another interview with Maarten to learn more about his "no cold calling" approach to growing his performance business.
Yeah definitely! Drew B had a bunch of business notes we didn't get to also. Maybe a business super show!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 6, 2019 10:19AM)
I’m up for that, Matt! Sounds like fun!
My favorite episode so far!
Would love to see a business call with Maarten.

And perhaps another business call with Drew B
[quote]On Nov 16, 2019, snm wrote:
Would love to see a business call with Maarten.

And perhaps another business call with Drew B [/quote]

Yeah most definitely will aim to make that happen!

Mindvention recap episode is out now.

Besides having a great time at MV, I also got at least 5 people to agree to come on the show.

Good things a-comin'
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 17, 2019 01:48AM)
Niceness!!!
Really enjoyed your de-brief on Mindvention! For someone who has never been, and may not ever go, this was enlightening.

That's really disappointing to hear one of the vendors had a 50% fail rate when attempting to demonstrate their electronic effects. I've not really ever been into electronics and this would be the main reason why.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 17, 2019 09:05PM)
50% fail? That sounds more like a propless number... :lol:
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 18, 2019 11:25AM)
I really enjoyed this episode as well, Matt. I think you're a great storyteller. I was driving from Amsterdam to Utrecht, but it felt like spending 3 days in Vegas. :ohyes:
[quote]On Nov 17, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
50% fail? That sounds more like a propless number... :lol: [/quote]

hahaha....

To be fair, I guess it was like 50% fail on the first attempt. Some of them worked after a little tinkering.

But...yeah.
You guys are brutal on the propless stuff lol.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 19, 2019 01:01AM)
To be fair Phedon’s jokes about anything that involves props are better. But don’t ever mention to him I said that.
50% success rate....? I can deal with that...

Phedon
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 19, 2019 11:44AM)
I know... You would just create a Phasma of six of those. Resulting in a succes rate of 300%...
[quote]On Nov 19, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I know... You would just create a Phasma of six of those. Resulting in a succes rate of 300%... [/quote]

Ah ah ah ah!!!!!! You just made my evening my friend... 😂

Yes, I guess that’s about the rate you’d achieve with 6....

Phedon
New podcast in a day or two.

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing a living legend of mentalism... I won't spill who it is just yet, but stay tuned!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Nov 22, 2019 06:20PM)
Hi Matt: I enjoyed your recap of MV. I especially liked hearing about the lectures I missed. And, thank you for the kind words about my storytelling lecture. BTW, I had no idea I look "thick". At my age, I hope that's a complement. Cheers.

Christopher
Yeah total compliment! You look yoked, ripped, buff. Definitely in shape. It was nice to meet you in person!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 23, 2019 12:35AM)
[quote]On Nov 22, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
New podcast in a day or two.

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing a living legend of mentalism... I won't spill who it is just yet, but stay tuned! [/quote]

Living... hmmm so you have not been trying the Spirit in Glass and talking to Annemann...
I like the music and the sound quality
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 23, 2019 02:58AM)
Thanks. 😂
Latest episode is up!

LEE EARLE! (Yes I'm shouting. I'm excited about this one!)

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/14-lee-earle
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Nov 26, 2019 12:04AM)
Wow!
The Spirits were around during this interview...
Enjoyed your chat with Lee, always enjoy listening to him.
Next up, Jan Forster!

After meeting at Mindvention, Jan kindly agreed to an interview for the pod. If you've been around the Café for a while, you already know how knowledgeable and talented Jan is. Now you can hear a little bit of his backstory.

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/15-jan-forster

Also, Mystery Arts Podcast now has a Patreon!
Subscribe to access more bonus content. The first Patreon exclusive has been released, it's about adapting playing card routines and methods to things that are not playing cards. I just launched, so I'm waiting for that very first Patron... might be you!

https://www.patreon.com/mysteryarts
The podcast with Jan was superb. Thank you Matt. Great work.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Dec 3, 2019 05:24AM)
Patroned!
[quote]On Dec 2, 2019, saysold1 wrote:
The podcast with Jan was superb. Thank you Matt. Great work. [/quote]

Thanks! More on the way.

[quote]On Dec 3, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Patroned! [/quote]

Much appreciated!
Maybe consider interviewing Annemann. Peter Turner probably still has the contact info from when he did his :)
[quote]On Dec 3, 2019, 252life wrote:
Maybe consider interviewing Annemann. Peter Turner probably still has the contact info from when he did his :) [/quote]

Actually, I may have an Annemann interview in the works. I met the guy that did probably the most amount of research on him - Todd Karr - at Mindvention and he did say he was open to coming on the show.
That would be great!