(Close Window)
Topic: Would like some info on the spider gimmick
I have gone through all the posts on here and have checked all over the internet and I can't find anything describing the spider gimmick. I know that there is reference to a gimmick close to it in the book "Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks" by Keith Clark which I plan on buying soon. If anyone can give me any information or private message me about the gimmick I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks and take care,
Bry
This may not be the actual name for the gimmick. I was shown an incredible card producing gimmick quite a few years ago (well over 15 years ago), and the magician was calling it a 'spider gimmick'. So, with that said, that's what I've called it.

You will probably have to make on yourself, as I'm pretty certain that they are not on the market.

- - Troy
Troy, thanks. Yes I've heard quite a few posters on here refer to the spider gimmick but after extensive research I have not come up with anything. Thanks for all of your help and your message the other day......

Take care, Bry
The spider gimmick for a coin can be found in much detail with several variations in Greater Magic. If you do not have that tome, do not go to sleep, do not eat, rush out now and find one. Break into your best magic friend's house if you have to. There are effects in there so old, they are new again.
David
I found a picture on a website and was wondering if this was something similar to a spider gimmick.............

http://www.lybrary.com/index.html?goto=books/The_Art_of_Magic.html

Take care, Bry
The site isn't loading :( Are you sure the link is correct?
It loaded okay for me. It is a picture from T. Nelson Downs Art of Magic Book.
Bill is this something similar to the wire card catcher that you made?........

Take care, Bry
It worked for me. Thanks Bry!
The link to the T. Nelson Downs gimmick loaded fine. I must say, that this is 'close' to what a spider gimmick for cards looks like. You're on the right track (notice the device is hidden as the fingers open!) Now, if you go back to a video of Peter Marvey's single card production, you just might see some 'similarities' as his fingers wiggle and stay open, then quickly snap closed for the card production.

For the coin production, as the fingers spread, the device sails back toward the wrist (it will do the same for cards, as long as they're not 'regular' thin playing cards.

Have Fun,
- - Troy
Never heard of the term 'Spider' gimmick. Where did you come up with this term? How did you even know to use this term, and if it is correct in the 1st place?

If we are back on the Marvey card production gimmick kick, why start a new thread when the other is not finished?

The Marvey gimmick is so simple it is not machanical at all. It is just a card catching gimmick, period. His model is no good except for very far away from your audience.
Thanks Troy.....

Take care, Bry
It is used to keep a rolled silk on the lapel and have it appear like a flower!
This lapel silk gimmick is easy to make as well. Just make sure that the ends of the wire are rolled under and around. This allows for the silk to come out easily without getting snagged.

Kyle
Then you are speaking of the Norm Nielsen Rose to Silk gimmick.

http://www.nnmagic.com

His is the only gimmick that has the curved wires.
We are not speaking of the rose to silk gimmick....

Take care, Bry
[quote]
On 2004-05-26 02:39, wmhegbli wrote:
Never heard of the term 'Spider' gimmick. Where did you come up with this term? How did you even know to use this term, and if it is correct in the 1st place?
[/quote]

Then please clairfy like I ask; we cannot help you if you do not provide the proper information.
Wmhegbli;

Please read all of my posts on this page, and you will know how I came up with the term 'spider gimmick'. Norm Nielson does have a flower-to-silk gimmick he is calling the 'spider gimmick', but this is NOT the same thing I'm referring to when using a card-catching device.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Peter Marvey's card producing gimmick is not as simple as you make it out to be. He is producing the cards with OPEN fingers, and I stress the fact that they are wiggling and open for almost the entire production sequence.

Also, this thread has, again if I'm not mistaken, always been about my original notation (many months ago), about Peter Marvey's card production method.

Take Care,
- - Troy
I second Troy. The name Spider Gimmick does exist and I have a faint memory of Stevens Magic selling one or maybe it was Owen Magic Supreme that had it. However Spider Gimmick does exist, but then I don't think Marvey's gimmick is all that complicated. I think it is simply a regular card appear gimmick modified to work in Black art lighting. I could be wrong.
I'm sorry to say that indeed you are wrong. Peter uses two different ways to spread his hands during his manipulation act. One "method" he uses are his great manipulation cards (wich I strongly recommend to everyone here). In this case the spread does use black art. But in the other case, and this is the method he normally uses, he uses his special gimmick. And I can tell you it is completely different than a regular "Card Catcher."

Hope that helps a bit
Philipp
Two methods? now that's a bit confusing. Let me try and find my copy of the WGM tape and check it out.
No , I didn't mean he uses them both together . He uses only one of them at a time . Peter decides normally before the show wich method would fit in the conditions of the stage he is working on that day .
In the case of the WGM it was a great opportunity for Peter to use his gimmick , because of the controlled angles by the cameras .

Cheers ,
Philipp
[quote]
On 2004-06-01 10:21, Philipp Kandt wrote:
No , I didn't mean he uses them both together . He uses only one of them at a time . Peter decides normally before the show wich method would fit in the conditions of the stage he is working on that day .
In the case of the WGM it was a great opportunity for Peter to use his gimmick , because of the controlled angles by the cameras .

Cheers ,
Philipp
[/quote]

I disagree because if you see the routine in slowmotion you can really see the gimmick...
What exactly do you disagree ? The case that it was a great opportunity ? I didn't say that the cameras could cover everything , but the angles are much better than normally .

???
Philipp
The way I see this card producing gimmick is a extended wire card holder. It clips on the third finger flange. Wire runs along the third finger to a flat or oval circle that incloses the cards about 2/3 fo the way up. The cards actually hide behind the wrist portion. It has angle problems, thus the creative editing on the show. Being the camera cuts away so much during his act. I must say, that if seen live, we would not be discussing this thing at all.
[quote]
On 2004-05-31 15:35, Philipp Kandt wrote:
I'm sorry to say that indeed you are wrong. Peter uses two different ways to spread his hands during his manipulation act.
[/quote]

Philipp;

Just who are you referring to when you said, "... indeed you are wrong."? And yes, your comments did help out.

Thanks,
- - Troy
Troy ,

I am referring to dsilverfield . He said :

"I think it is simply a regular card appear gimmick modified to work in Black art lighting. I could be wrong."

Philipp
I have made the gimmick at home.
It is not that easy. The point is not how to make a card appear opening the hand.... the problem is making 4 or 5 cards appear, because when the gimmick goes to the bak it takes all the cards except the one "produced".

Just think outside the box... it is really easy (the method) but took 3 hours to be made.
My previous post which was supposed to be between that of Phillip Kandt and Magic hands is gone. Just vanished. Wonder why?
Well has anyone found anything further on this "Spider Gimmick" for cards? I went to the site suggested by bry1513 but found nothing on Spider Gimmick within their search feature. I also checked out their books on or by T. Nelson Downs and found no reference to this "Spider Gimmick".

I'm at a loss here and only assume it's some sort of a card catcher. I don't use catchers for my card manipulation but was still interested in knowing what this thing is.
Well I found what a chinese site is saying marvey uses. Almost exactly what Bill describes. Here Goes.
http://shop.eyunedu.com/images/upload/Image/T1UFNeXltNJtMja0g1_040536_jpg_310x310.jpg
Great find, but the finger ring is all wrong to work in a routine. The mystery has been discovered, and now this can be laid to rest.
[youtube]9WAx4cbXkDg[/youtube]

Card spider is something I have been improving for years. Comparing to that Chinese crap this is a Rolls Royce. It can produce single cards, a card fan, vanish a card or a fan and it uses no black art.

https://youtu.be/9WAx4cbXkDg
The spider is referenced in Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook. It's listed in the section on unusual gimmicks.