(Close Window)
Topic: Appearing Cane
I took a vote amongst my family and it was a tie so I'm going to ask you guys, what looks better, silk-to-cane or bare-handed production?
It really depends on your routine. The good thing about a cane is it is so versatile. It allows you to turn anything soft (rope, balloon, silk etc.) into a cane. What tricks are you doing before it, and after it? Is your cane metal or plastic? Metal canes are generally better for bare hand productions because they are faster.

Let us know the answers.
You can also use the cane as a kicker ending to a manipulative routine. Ball to cane, etc.
I like the cane to two silk.
I personally like silk to cane because it seems that the silk has fused into the cane. The silk also provides great misdirection if you are planning on producing two canes.
I enjoy the silk to cane because it is not only an apperance but it becomes a transformation. Also the silk really helps visually hide the transformation and helps also in getting the focus from the audience. if you do the bare hand production, most people may miss the magic happening.

Kyle
I also like the candle to silk to cane, I like it, you can see it in McBride on stage videos vol.3
Torch to cane is also nice if you have a good metal cane.
Bare hand cane production. Catch the cane in the middle of the cane.
Silk to cane. because honestly if you don't use a silk you can see it open. same with vanishing cane. if you don't suff the can it looks bad.
I have used both of those ways before, bare handed and also silk to cane. I know that you spoke of only two ways to produce it, but don't forget there are many other ideas. Here are just 3 others I've used with success:

I have had the mini silk streamer that is coloured like a cane, black with a white tip. Twirl the silk around like a propellor, and change it to a solid cane. All of the sudden the softness of the silk, changed to the solidness of the cane. Gets a great audience reaction. Slightly different than a typical silk to cane presentation.

Another idea is to display a 24" silk. Drape it over your fist, and produce the cane, catching the cane in the middle. It pops the silk up into the air, which you catch with your other hand. Looks pretty cool!

Shimada had a handling of an appearing cane, that starts with a silk held between your hands. You tie a knot in it, and as you stretch out your hands, you release the silk, to reveal that the silk is knotted around the cane stretching from hand to hand. The handling of this, complete with step by step photos, was in Genii magazine approximately 15-20 years ago, in a feature article about Shimada. Someone may know if this is published in a book somewhere. This gets a nice audience reaction as well.

- Donald.
If possible, watch James Dimmare work his appearing canes routine. He uses silks... and looks like pure magic. He performs his famous five-minute routine on World's Greatest Magic 5. This should help you in your decision to either do bare-handed productions, or to go with silks... better yet, why not mix the two?

Magically,
- - Troy
If you get a metal cane - initially practice with gloves on as they can "bite". Aim to catch it in the middle once fully extended.

Paula
Hello coolleprechaun:

I've never liked the bare-handed production; I really think people can see it open, even if it's a very quick metal cane. I think if you do it that way, many people can tell that you had something in your hand that expanded.

Much better are the alternatives Donald has given. The pop-up silk looks very good - I believe both Neil Foster and Dale Salwak (of Chavez) have done this in their acts. It looks good and gets "oohs" everytime.

Scott Cervine had a video out a number of years ago. He had the Shimada cane from silk that Donald mentioned on it as well as splitting canes where he had a cane and split it into two. Looked fantastic! I believe you can still get his video from Stevens Magic.

Troy mentioned Dimmare. He has a really, really good routine in the "New York Magic Symposium" book series. You can still get the book - It's called "Spectacle" and is by Stephen Minch.

Ron
There was also a method of reaching through a paper hoop and letting it open.

One tip I got years ago in Paul Diamond's lecture..to catch the cane in the middle, simply open and close your hand as quickly as you can.

If you don't do that you will end up holding either the tip or the top of the cane.
IMHO Silk to cane is an audience pleaser. Something about the transformation is stronger than just the apearance of a cane. Also there are metal canes that are much gentler than the old gun metal hand slicers of old. They aren't cheap but what quality prop is?
In most of the "letters" I get from school show programs, the "rag" to cane, gets a great response.

My silk, is a rag, I use as part of my allergy segment.

Anyone willing to share a "different" way you use a cane.

I first saw it, as part of a newspaper routine.

The cane was produced as the hand went through the paper.

Back in 76, I almost broke a display case, when this newbie tried to open one up for the first time. (mini memory lol)

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
I bought a Torch to Cane when I was in Japan. It is beautifuly made, but I have not used this effect for many years.
Torch to cane is great but now you are back to problems of using fire again.
I have been unable to locate any videos by Scott Cervine. Are there any other books or videos out there that explain the cane split?

Take care, Bry
I sent a mail to Scott Cervine but he didn`t reply. Stevens Magic doesn`t sell it anymore. You can check Fantasio book on canes and candles with James Holmes and you will find the same cane split.It is in book #4, page 61-62. If you can`t find this book send me a PM and I will scan it for you.
Thanks Bojanbarisic, I appreciate your reply....

Take care, Bry
Has anyone seen the method of vanishing with flash paper to hold the cane as top part? I remember someone doing it at a lecture some time ago.
The silk to cane is more visual than the bare-handed production.
Silk to cane. More interesting. If your cane is a metal cane, try to use it with a torch, or with a rope on fire.

(sorry about my english)
Silk, torch, candle, feather plum, or rope to cane all are impressive to layman. If used as an opener (silk to cane) you can casually "show" your hands empty before producing the cane.
In the middle of the act it works nicely as a straight forward production and can be used effectively for strong misdirection.

Kregg
How about gloves to cane. I also like Mayoral flash cane and David`s method for silk to cane. This fine manipulator from Hungary has performed it on a tape that was produced by Joker Magic from Budapest.
In one of my acts I use a lot of white feathers (not plums of course !! ;-) ) , so it was natural for me to transform a giant white feather into a cane .
To me it looks beautiful , because you transform a soft and delicate object into a strong , cold, metal cane .

I once saw Bob Swadling perform an effect he created for Fred Kaps I think .
It was performed with a poem .
He stood onstage holding a shiny, silver, metal circle with a silk hanging inside .
In a blink-of-an-eye the circle visually transformed into a square . Than , Bob threw the square into the air (hey a rhyme) and changed it /including the silk/ into a cane .

The beauty of this trick was that you don't even have to hold or touch the collapsed cane , it was all self-working .
If you can hold a circle and throw something into the air , you can perform this Trick .

I think the poem was :
" Is this a circle ?
Or , is it a square ?
To tell you the truth , ...
I don't really care ."

I don't know if he marketed it but you can make it yourself . All you need is the cane , a silk and 4 thin sawing blades . (or instead you can use the marketed item the "circle to square" wich some shops carry .)

Cheers ,
Philipp
Here's a question:

Philipp K said
[quote]
To me it looks beautiful , because you transform a soft and delicate object into a strong , cold, metal cane.
[/quote]

Does the audience know it's a metal cane? Or is it supposed to be a wooden one? Not that there is that much difference in the context of textures and substance, but mental scripting is very important in manipulation, especially if it is done to music, without any speech.
Good question :

To me there is no "big" difference between a metal and a wooden cane .
I just had people come backstage after the show and give me notes . They said they specially liked this tranformation with that metal cane .

So .. that's why I mentioned that it is metal .

Cheers ,
Philipp
How do you hook up the square to circle to vanish with the silk, Philipp?
Matt
Hello all

Matt, As w/ all things worth having, sometimes a great deal of work is involved... Purchase the Classic books of magic, The Tarbell Course, Greater magic, Bobos Coin magic. Study these volumes & you will have found many new methods to transform a cane in to well whatever you want...hard work will always pay off......

With out a doubt the finest canes that were ever made were the Walsh canes, which I have & use a number of.

I am surprised though at how little history many of the posters are aware of out there as the name Walsh has never been mentioned...hmm

What no one seem to be confronting is the how's or the why's of working/using an Appearing or a Vanishing cane.....Hmm

To the beginner be very careful as to how you open the cane as it can give you a nasty gash & or put out an eye...as has happened on more than one occasion... Only open it when held Verticaly away from you.

I have always thought that a transformation of a cane into ...well this is up to you. But I have always found transformation to be..... highly effective !

Keep the wheels turning..

MICHAEL LEE
Mr. Palmer,

Your term Mental Scripting is very thought provoking.

Much food for thought.

This is becoming one of my new favorite "booths" at this Café.

At first I spent my time in the show me the money section. (Yes I still go there as well)

Lately I have been having fun with Multiplying Canes.

I have only been playing with them for a couple of months now. Sort of a mini "Explosion"(coin reference) on Stage.

Be safe and creative.

Harris

Harris
I too personally like the "transformation" into a cane. I use to use a silk and got great response from this opening into my act. I now use(whenever possible and feasible) flash rope instead of a silk and it just gives a different illusion than the silk. Not sure why but for what ever reason the "wow factor" is moved up a notch. Another method may be to do two appearing canes, one from the other. I think from a bare production this would work better than a single cane being produced. Just my 2 cents.

Snidini
Anyone out there use David Ginn's Idea of 260 balloon, inflated that turns into a cane.

I believe it looks better with a Walsh than a Fantasio.

The metal canes tend to open faster.

Be safe and creative.

Harris
The bang of the 260 also disguises the infamous SSSSWWWWWWWWOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHH

Tom
Hi I think the silk to cane is so much better because its like the silk has made the cane. I like it but it is only my opinion

Ricardo the Magician
Actually I don't pop the balloon, I twirl the balloon as it deflates it changes into the cane.

Perhaps I need to re-read those instructions.

It was many years ago.

Do you put a pin on the cane for the pop???

Harris
Walsh was a very good cane and if you used it properly you do not get cut. I prefer the Harakan or Japanese canes at this point for a couple of reasons.

First they are stainless steel. That means they will not rust as Walsh sometimes did. Also, the metal is rolled to width not sheared. This means the edge of the metal is a little smoother than a piece of sheared spring steel. Of course, you cane still get cut but you can be cut on paper.

Russ Walsh was not the first man to make a metal vanishing and appearring cane. They were made in Germany. But he improved the release mechanism and mass marketed them. He was a saleman for a Steel company.
Does anyone know of any other appearing object that works similar to these canes...

Such as appearing sword....????

Any body know of a source for an appearing metal wand?

Harris
Harakan made and may still make an appearring metal wand. I will check and see if I can still get one.
Anyone can help how do contact harakan (Japan) company ? any email...?
Has anyone used the juan mayoral square cicle to cane, who sells the best between taylor magic australia or daytona magic usa.
Juan Mayoral sells the candle, flash cane, the circle to square to cane and the circle to star to cane. All of them great products. If anyone know the harakan contact please let me know.
Balloon to cane is fantastic idea. I have to toy with that idea now. I have been playing with balloon a lot and never thought of it. Hmmmm
Going back to the bare hand vs silk, rope etc topic I think that know one has mentioned the fact of misdirection. If you are not looking for it a barehad production will really knock people out where as if you are presenting an effect such as silk to cane the audience are looking for whats coming next. When dimmare produces a cane with bare hand he misdirects with a silk in his other hand or a dove etc, Think about where you want the cane to appear for example is the cane going to appear as a finale to a manip routine. or are yu presenting it as an effect/routine on it's own.

John and Scott Penrose here in the UK perform a fab transposition of a cane and silk the cane is in the left hand and a silk is in the right, both arms outstreched. The cane is touched to the tip of a candle and in a flash the silk and cane change places.

Richard Ross also had some lovely ideas for the one handed vanishing cane.

Must stop rambling on now.

Hope This is of some use

Paul Dabek
Has anyone bought the juan mayorals square circle to cane. where did you purchase it. is there two versions.?