(Close Window)
Topic: Tenyo 2020
Does anyone have an rumours or information about the new Tenyo? Usually we get some previews around now
Hello mattH, I read this on another forum, sound like a good line up :

Tenyo 2020 descriptions.

Card Fishing (World Greatest Magic)

A card is selected and returned to the deck. The deck is placed into a paper bag and the bag is shaken to mix the cards. A rope is held by the magician, and one end is placed into the bag. The rope is lifted out with the selected card tied to the rope.

(I'm hoping there is more to this. This would be very impressive if a card is freely selected.)

The Gravity

Show a red rope and place it on spectator’s hand. Mention that this rope has a magical power. Magician makes a loop with the rope and places it on the table. Next, magician places a clear card case in the center of the loop. Magician is able to lift the card case, but magically, the spectator cannot lift it.

(This one sounds weird. Reminds me of the invisible credit card lock from a few years ago.)

4D Cross.

This trick is similar to Tenyo Crossroads T-107, but uses keychain sticks instead of pencils.

Show two keychain sticks, and a tube that they can fit through at right angles. One stick is placed into the tube. The other stick is inserted into the other tube and is pushed right through the first stick. The two sticks have penetrated each other.

(Perhaps if you can move both sticks, this would be something)

Super memo pad

Draw a bill on the memo pad. Instantly, the magician turns the drawn bill into a real bill from the memo pad, in front of spectator’s eye. Memo pad is now blank.

(This looks cute)

Mystery Blade

Magician shows a deck of miniature cards and asks spectator to select one card. The cards are placed into a card case that has two holes on the top and bottom.

This case is placed into a black box that also has two holes on top and bottom. A blade is shown and shoved into the holes in the black box and case, penetrating the cards.

Remove the blade, then open the black box and remove the miniature cards from the case.

Spread the miniature cards to show that only one card has a slit in it. This is the selected card.

(This just screams Tenyo)

The following is not Tenyo 2020, but as World Greatest Card Magic.

Completed prediction

Releasing in August

Show a black envelope, and place it on the table. Mention that there is one prediction card in this envelope.

Hand a deck of cards to the spectator, then ask the spectator to start dealing out cards face up, one by one.

Spectator can stop dealing at any time.

Take the black envelope, and show the card from the envelope. This matches the card the spectator stopped on.
Pictures in attachment...
Looking for the magic pad, great for kids.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBSNC2nU8AAlBAq.jpg

Nicolas
Excellent intel papawemba
Many people say that Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year but I say it's when Tenyo releases it's latest products! Yeah, there have been a few that are less than amazing but there are many that are just outstanding!
Here are some of the first videos of the new Tenyo 2020 line of magic.

4D Cross Plus looks great and is definitely on my must have list!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haj6MKhnQD8

This link is a very short demo of each trick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ALwRepOl0
The magic Café always comes thru. 4D cross looks like a classic.
Here are links the five new 2020 Tenyo releases.

Miracle Fishing
https://youtu.be/gMMdrv9LMTc

Note A Bill
https://youtu.be/bjPV8jaYPqE

Ultra Gravity Box
https://youtu.be/wrUwQqCXvP4

4D Cross
https://youtu.be/mP7HuRKalYw

Mystery Blade
https://youtu.be/7mNBV1yOJi0
Bingo
Thanks, interesting line up except for the blade effect. 4D is genius, of course!
So who has them in stock?
They haven't been released yet.
I ordered from Plaza Japan a few days ago and they shipped right away.
Murphy's has Super Prediction Card in stock now.
Hocus Pocus has them ...
Super Prediction Card looks like the classic Koran deck and its many incarnations. Anyone have an idea if Tenyo had added anything new here?
I have it, not a lot new added but a couple of nuances. For a layman buying it (which as we know is the primary audience in Japan) it is a very strong off the shelf effect.
Someone ask John how he has it ALREADY!!!!
It was available awhile back... pre the official new releases :)
John I was kidding! You just always have it all so fast!
Look who's talking... :)
John that's not true. However the 2023 Tenyo releases look great and the Magic Wagon Mini Levitation will be killer! ;-)
LOL!!
And John - YOU field the questions on those two releases please . . .
I reviewed Super Prediction Card back in October - cheap paper koran deck with a multiple out envelope. Hocus Pocus has it in stock, they told me this week it's getting a lot of buzz. I know Hocus Pocus has the 2020 line up in the warehouse right now, but the english instructional videos are not currently on the tenyo site yet. Heard closer to mid-November.
Super Prediction has english instructions up and they are excellent. There is a bonus routine not using the envelope. It is not cheap cardstock nor is the envelop[e bad. In fact it is all great IMHO. That said, it's a 4 way Koran deck but it is also M@#$ed on the back very smartly so you can do some extra miracles with it.
IMHO, the six Tenyo releases for 2020 are the best lot in quite some time. I see two of them in particular as good old fashioned unique Tenyo creations and delightfully clever.

Not thrilled with all six but that is a matter of taste more than how good they are if you know what I mean.

For me, this is the most interesting releases since the parallel mentalism lot which Tenyo released in 2016. I liked those better than the traditional releases for that year.
Agree these are serious and strong. Most important they open the world of some deeper concepts to new and young future magicians.
I got in on a presale of all 5 new tricks plus super prediction card. I should be getting them anyday. yes I have tracking their in USA LOL
Any comments about the "Miracle Fishing" release? The demo looks pretty good IMHO.
[quote]On Nov 12, 2019, Recoplon wrote:
Any comments about the "Miracle Fishing" release? The demo looks pretty good IMHO. [/quote]

Over the years, there have been many versions of it released. Tenyo decided to release it as their Worlds Greatest Magic contribution.

Tenyo has not included any new revelations but do provide the message card concept which they have done in the past with other releases.

That and the deck releases serve as a way to introduce some classics to those new to magic which I believe StarManager was suggesting in his last post here.

If you do not own a version of Miracle Fishing, I suggest that you acquire it.
[quote]On Sep 26, 2019, papawemba wrote:
Pictures in attachment...
Looking for the magic pad, great for kids.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBSNC2nU8AAlBAq.jpg

Nicolas [/quote]

It amazes me that the native language does not have a word for "new" - I get that numbers are the same (unless written as words) but I would have thought new was translateable?
I have never been able to like the lassoing of a card in a bag thing. Just looks and feels unnatural to me.
The Note A Bill looks almost like a Camera Trick! Does anyone have this yet and does it play just like the video trailer?
[quote]On Nov 12, 2019, StarManager wrote:
I have never been able to like the lassoing of a card in a bag thing. Just looks and feels unnatural to me. [/quote]

Not something I ever wanted to perform in the past as well but somehow, because Tenyo put one out, I will have a go at it at least a couple of times.

That notebook effect did not appeal to me at first but after seeing how versatile it is, I kind of like it better now.

The bottom line is that I always buy all of Tenyos new releases so will try to have some fun with my new Tenyo magic toys.

Funny thing about Tenyo tricks, at least for me, is that my opinion of them keeps changing until I eventually settle on my final opinion of each one. Watching a great demo also helps to form my opinions.
I have found that I'm not always a great judge of the quality of Tenyo tricks. There are some tricks that I did not think much of but when I came up with a story and showed the trick to people, they really enjoyed it. Other times, there have been tricks that I thought were really cool but the audience did not. I really feel that how the audience responds is a good evaluation of the trick. Personally, I buy nearly all Tenyo just to check it out. Not all winners but there have been enough great ones over the years to make it worthwhile. I'm sure I'll get all of this year's lineup as well.

Dave
[quote]On Nov 11, 2019, StarManager wrote:
Super Prediction has english instructions up and they are excellent. There is a bonus routine not using the envelope. It is not cheap cardstock nor is the envelop[e bad. In fact it is all great IMHO. That said, it's a 4 way Koran deck but it is also M@#$ed on the back very smartly so you can do some extra miracles with it. [/quote]

I am wondering why all of the demos released so far only show the main effect. It is a really good one but if the deck is capable of other things, you would think that, in particular, the official Tenyo demo would show at least one of them.

In the past, I remember demos from Tenyo of their trick decks having more than a single effect.

Any thoughts on this?
I ordered them all except Miracle Fishing. Really happy with this years tricks.
[quote]On Nov 12, 2019, JOurneyjoe wrote:
The Note A Bill looks almost like a Camera Trick! Does anyone have this yet and does it play just like the video trailer? [/quote]
Yeah, it's a clever mechanism that uses principles of an old optical illusion (OTL). You need to practice this a bit in front of the mirror but actually the device does most of the work for you.
Each year I buy 3 or 4 tenyo amd I'm very happy with my choices this year.

4D cross. My favourite, one object passes thru an identical object in an impossibly small frame. In the spirit of the original crossroads. Ill let that sink in for you.

Notepad. Very convincing illusion and useful reveal. Uses a familiar principle.

The gravity. Cant wait to try it. Unusual and not what your thinking even if you cant see why youre thinking it from the demo

Very happy.
Downloaded all of the instructions today, I find that the trailers help more than the written instruction for "what to do" I am also anxious to try the gravity trick - not at all what I was expecting and also a little worried ... LOL

The lasso trick is exactly like a trick I had as a teen (same principle) and they even include a paper bag! As opposed to today's sellers who just say "supply your own"

Out of all of them 4D cross is my favorite
[quote]On Nov 15, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
I am also anxious to try the gravity trick - not at all what I was expecting and also a little worried ... LOL [/quote]

Worried about what? Reliability? Practicality? That's the one I have my eye on, and I'd just as soon skip it if it's not going to be usable.

Evan
Ok got the gravity, card fishing, and the 2 key chains tricks.

First impressions

Fishing - on the unit I got the ma****s were reversed so I had to fix my rope to function correctly. The 1st 2 people I tried it on were both just saying NO, NO WAY!! WHAT THE F** was that? This one is a keeper for sure.

Gravity - not sure how repeatable this is at the moment. I'm also not sure how strong the adhesive is.

Key Chains - interesting concept. takes more dexterity than the Card Fishing and Gravity. Things are a little tight to do smoothly. I'll be using the second option of passing a pencil through. Much more smooth at least for me at this point.
I got them all too.

Gravity - may be a real worker

Will keep you posted.
Most interested in gravity. Seems very similar to something that was released months ago but I cannot remember the name.
It's the "clear" everything that makes this so strong. Really smart deployment of an old idea . . . Tenyo!
Busting them out today - spending Saturday in the "magic lab"

Fishing was awesome - showed it to my 11 year old with no prior practice and it got a HUGE reaction (and he sees a lot of magic) He told me "that's a good one."

Gravity ... the jury is still out on this one. I can't seem to get it to be 100% reliable. I can see someone trying to be funny and just pulling it up regardless. TENYO gives you two options (like you see in the trailer)
perform it on a smooth table top - or use the plastic mystic circle plate that's included (if the table top is rough or covered with a tablecloth)
[quote]On Nov 16, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Busting them out today - spending Saturday in the "magic lab"

Fishing was awesome - showed it to my 11 year old with no prior practice and it got a HUGE reaction (and he sees a lot of magic) He told me "that's a good one."

Gravity ... the jury is still out on this one. I can't seem to get it to be 100% reliable. I can see someone trying to be funny and just pulling it up regardless. TENYO gives you two options (like you see in the trailer)
perform it on a smooth table top - or use the plastic mystic circle plate that's included (if the table top is rough or covered with a tablecloth) [/quote]

Fishing is an old classic so, IMHO, well worth buying.

Gravity, IMHO, is not very exciting so not a necessary purchase. Maybe the least worthwhile one in the bunch.
So interesting how the fishing is reported so well here. It's just not my cup of tea but you guys are making me re-think this one with your enthusiasm.
4D cross feels a little like an ADAMS magic trick - reminds of their own penetration effect.

This one you need to read the "helpful hints" in the instructions to really "find your sweet spot" and even then it can be a little wonky.
(or at least mine is .... or maybe it's my 50 year old eyes and fingers)
[quote]On Nov 16, 2019, StarManager wrote:
So interesting how the fishing is reported so well here. It's just not my cup of tea but you guys are making me re-think this one with your enthusiasm. [/quote]

Watch the Japanmagic demo of it on YouTube. Here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQrWK7y1o-s

Perhaps that will convince you to order it. As usual, he comes up with a very clever and creative twist on the original prop.
I just opened NOTE A BILL a little while ago and it was not quite what I was expecting/hoping for. Kind of like a disposable prop.

The only use for it I see as worthwhile would be if you use it to hand out your business card if you have one. If not, then may be one to pass on.

It will not be long before I try to sell it as an opened in new unused condition piece.

So, this one beats the Gravity Box as not very exciting at least for me.
I see lots of uses for Note A Bill. It is somewhat as I expected and the included pad and materials are very "adult" as opposed to the bright colored standard Tenyo props. Tenyo could double sales if they offered EVERY plastic effect as they regularly offer and in Matte black as an option . . .
Ok, I opened Mystery Blade. There was a little bit of confusion with the instructions and the base the decks rests on for me, but it was my own dumb fault
The card force they teach is genius for a baby deck like this - it's a totally normal deck! (well, except that it's super dupes tiny)

Note a bill is the most elaborate as far as set up and execution

So final of the night - from favorite to least favorite

1. Fishing
2. 4D
3. Mystery Blade
4. Note a bill
5. Gravity Box
Just curious, what are some of Tenyo's features / additions to the Miracle Card Fishing effect? Can this version be done with a signed card? I assume not based on the trailer, but would be a pleasant surprise.
So I have been getting comfortable with and practicing my presentation for 4 D CROSS for a few days and can say with confidence that I am now ready to perform it.

The handling is actually much easier than I first expected. The secret to success with it is to get really familiar with the included props and not work too hard to make the magic happen.

For me, this is by far the most ingenious release Tenyo has had for quite a few years! This is that old fashioned laugh out loud clever Tenyo method and design and a delightful (and refreshing as of late) prop we have come to know and love with Tenyo releases.

By the way, there are no noise or concealment issues as I have seen mentioned. Lots of practice in order to get familiar with the props and handling will take care of that!

How in the world this was designed so well is fascinating to me. I would go as far as to say that the ingenious method is comparable to Mystery China Box. No kidding!

Certainly my favorite of the 2020 line!
I agree that the Cross is wildly creative and deceptive!
I've done reviews for the entire TENYO 2020 line - if anyone wants a more "inside look" at them all.

The first one will go live MONDAY and the rest will follow each day. I'll be in California and away from my desk that week, so I am telling you in advance. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5QAqNOGAGb56RWANf6bqmg/
Awesome David! Looking forward to these. Thanks for doing it.
Have to say I am really liking the Gravity Box! Working well on tables and counter. Maybe I got lucky but working consistently so far. The clear box is so deceptive and lends itself as a utility item for a number of routines. I think Lubor would have loved this! My fav so far. I agree 4 D Cross is cool and "old school" Tenyo :)
I have to agree with John. The Gravity Box is the winner of the year for me too. I'm in total love with this one. It's crazy how much strength the box can bear. Real magic ! It have been 100% reliable for me. There is absolutly no adhesive on the surface and people can touch it completly freely. Everything is crystal clear anyway.

For me this trick is the perfect miracle you can perform easily and most important it's a trick where you can tell a cool story, interact with audience (not just "look at my trick") and everything is customizable to fit your own goal. Absolutly nobody expect what will happen.
My Number 1 of 2020.

4D Cross for sure is what we love in Tenyo, weird plastic props with funny mechanism but it lacks some finitions to be a real winner like Invisible Zone or Crystal Cleaver was at the time. But it's clearly the more complex mechanism done by Tenyo for years and it's largely better than "Smart Guillotine" which was another kind of "incomplete" trick. I think you have to customize the sticks to maybe hide the gimmick a little more but especially to give it some soul.

Anyway it's a really good year and I'm pleased that the Tenyo creation team is back on business after several years of nagging ( yes I'm looking at you "Miracle rods" and "psycho gravity" ^^)
Could not agree more Stereo. Works amazing on my Kitchen counter. Just have to lightly set it on the counter and it immediately adheres. I like that you can slide it around freely yet it still sticks when you try and pick it up. Most fun I have had with a Tenyo prop in a few years :0

By the way great to see you back my friend.

John
Since everyone likes GRAVITY BOX, you should check out the effect that it was inspired from - pretty cool https://thinkingparadox.com/producto/unliftable/
And.... Tenyo provide à second gimmick (there was 2 in my box) so you can in fact do everything on the video provided by David Kenney !! I love it thank you. Endless story to tell to your public to perform this trick, that's so good.
Here are the reviews I did in case anyone wants direct links:

Magic Review - 4D Cross by Tenyo Magic / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ2VHBWj6-4

Magic Review - Miracle Fishing by Tenyo Magic / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdFkaJolPs

Magic Review - Ultra Gravity Box by Tenyo Magic / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os_6vJt4G_w

Magic Review - Mystery Blade by Tenyo Magic / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRMPXdpOG2E

Magic Review - Note A Bill by Tenyo Magic / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Se-sU27xg

Thanks for watching
[quote]On Dec 4, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Here are the reviews I did ...
Thanks for watching [/quote]

Nice reviews I enjoyed your presentations
I have Miracle Fishing and 4D Cross. Here is my brief review:

First, the good news:

Miracle Fishing: I own previous versions of this and I think this is an improvement on previous versions. It is a VERY small improvement, but now I can't believe previous versions didn't think of the small improvements with this version.

Now, the bad news:

4D Cross: I was very disappointed. As opposed to David's review (above), my main issue is not that is doesn't look like a "real" object. If you know anything about Tenyo, you know that you are getting a plastic prop. My issue is that I had a REALLY hard time getting it to work. It has a clever mechanism, but it just didn't work well for me. I actually perform with some Tenyo products, but this is not one I will use, just because for me it isn't reliable. I think this would be better if it was designed by a higher end producer, like Magic Wagon or Dannicus.

KJ
[quote]On Dec 5, 2019, 1KJ wrote:
I have Miracle Fishing and 4D Cross. Here is my brief review:

First, the good news:

Miracle Fishing: I own previous versions of this and I think this is an improvement on previous versions. It is a VERY small improvement, but now I can't believe previous versions didn't think of the small improvements with this version.

Now, the bad news:

4D Cross: I was very disappointed. As opposed to David's review (above), my main issue is not that is doesn't look like a "real" object. If you know anything about Tenyo, you know that you are getting a plastic prop. My issue is that I had a REALLY hard time getting it to work. It has a clever mechanism, but it just didn't work well for me. I actually perform with some Tenyo products, but this is not one I will use, just because for me it isn't reliable. I think this would be better if it was designed by a higher end producer, like Magic Wagon or Dannicus.

KJ [/quote]

I agree completely regarding 4D Cross. Almost impossible to perform smoothly due to extremely tight tolerances with the parts that touch!
When I first began working with 4D Cross, I could not get it to work. After some patience and reading the instructions a bunch of times, I realized that the problem was that I was trying to hard to make it work.

If you handle the props without great force, you will find that it works beautifully. Lots of practice helps greatly!

For me, this is good old fashioned Tenyo plastic apparatus and method. It has been a long time since Tenyo released something like this which I can best describe as creating a laugh out loud moment when discovering the method and ingenious design of the props.

May I suggest that you remove the provided little black plastic keys and replace them with real keys or charms to make the keychains look like regular everyday items and not magical props.

By the way, IMHO, Mystery Blade is another good old fashioned Tenyo release. I find the Tenyo releases for 2020 to be the best in years! Not thrilled with all five but most of them.