(Close Window)
Topic: A game about arguments
Message: Posted by: imgic (Oct 2, 2019 01:02PM)
Magicfish posted this has become a forum about games. A post in that thread asked if folks were missing arguing. So why not combine the two?

What's the silliest argument you've been involved in? Not a frivolous little tiff...but something that had true emotion behind it over something trivial.

I can start. On my wedding day, my fiance and myself drove to the courthouse to pick up the marriage license and argued the whole time on which was better route to take (this we before GPS). Afterwards we realized both routes would have got us there at about same time...it turned out alright, we're still married after 32 years.

Though last week we had another go about how to pronounce caramel. I say "car-a-mel" she insists it's 'kar-mel."
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Oct 2, 2019 01:09PM)
Any thread started by Slim King...
Message: Posted by: arthur stead (Oct 2, 2019 01:31PM)
A few years ago my neighbor told me she wanted to build a fence between our two properties. When I advised her that she’d have to get a survey done, she refused, and unfortunately our resulting argument became a little heated. The next thing I knew, the police knocked on my door and delivered a summons. In court, she told the judge that I had threatened her. In addition she made up all sorts of lies, for example that I poisoned her trees, put dog poop in her yard, and “glared” at her like a peeping tom. I couldn’t believe something so trivial (i.e. advising her of the correct procedure for building a fence) would result in such a spectacle.

Unfortunately the judge believed my neighbor, and she got to build her fence. And as part of the restraining order, I was instructed to stay 50 ft. away from her and her property for the next year. Not that I cared about that. But what I DID care about, is that my court case was now on record, which prevented me from approaching any new school and daycare clients. (Schools in my area do a background check before they decide to hire you). Needless to say, this severely impacted my income from educational magic shows.

Of course I could have fought her in court over this, but I didn’t have thousands of dollars lying around to hire attorneys, etc. So I suffered in silence. And even though the court ruling has long since expired, to this day I have never spoken another word to my neighbor. I even cross the street when I see her approaching in my direction.

What a way to live!
Message: Posted by: tommy (Oct 2, 2019 02:17PM)
Is it true that you have an audience of voyeurs?
Message: Posted by: arthur stead (Oct 2, 2019 02:29PM)
Go away, Tommy.
Message: Posted by: tommy (Oct 2, 2019 02:43PM)
Did you know that pictures of you are being sold under the counter at Soho tobacconist shops?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 2, 2019 07:17PM)
[quote]On Oct 2, 2019, imgic wrote:
Magicfish posted this has become a forum about games. A post in that thread asked if folks were missing arguing. So why not combine the two?

What's the silliest argument you've been involved in? Not a frivolous little tiff...but something that had true emotion behind it over something trivial.

I can start. On my wedding day, my fiance and myself drove to the courthouse to pick up the marriage license and argued the whole time on which was better route to take (this we before GPS). Afterwards we realized both routes would have got us there at about same time...it turned out alright, we're still married after 32 years.

Though last week we had another go about how to pronounce caramel. I say "car-a-mel" she insists it's 'kar-mel." [/quote]
Your wife thinks caramel is a two syllable word?
Oh boy.
I couldn't deal.
Mine mispronounces the word bagel.
I pronounce it bay-gle she pronounces it
Baggle.
Drives me insane.
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (Oct 3, 2019 10:08AM)
Car-Mull
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 3, 2019 06:51PM)
[quote]On Oct 3, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Car-Mull [/quote]
No.
Car-a-mel
1 2 3
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (Oct 3, 2019 09:03PM)
Yes. Regional dialect.
Car A Mel apple sounds silly to our ears.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 3, 2019 09:07PM)
What region?
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (Oct 3, 2019 10:48PM)
Pacific Northwest
Message: Posted by: Cliffg37 (Oct 6, 2019 09:25AM)
As a New Yorker, who married a California girl. We argue about pronunciation all the time. Neither of us will budge an inch and we simply have to agree to disagree. Sometimes I will even use phrases like, "Italian soft cheese" so we don't have to argue about how to pronounce "Ricotta."
Message: Posted by: Mr Salk (Oct 6, 2019 01:44PM)
Eye-talian or It-alian?
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Oct 6, 2019 02:41PM)
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
As a New Yorker, who married a California girl. We argue about pronunciation all the time. Neither of us will budge an inch and we simply have to agree to disagree. Sometimes I will even use phrases like, "Italian soft cheese" so we don't have to argue about how to pronounce "Ricotta."[/quote]
It turns out that this is an easy one to solve.

Your pronunciation is wrong.

Hers may not be right, but yours is definitely wrong.

(Note: this is from a Californian whose "again" rhymes with "disdain".)
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Oct 6, 2019 02:46PM)
Hey Bill hit on the answer. My wife is from Spain and you would be shocked how many American English words I seem to pronounce wrong.
Message: Posted by: Animated Puppets (Oct 6, 2019 04:03PM)
[b]Robitussin[/b]

[b]Me:[/b] [i]Row-bih-tuss-in.[/i]

[b]Wife[/b] [i] Row-beet-ah-sin[/i]
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 6, 2019 04:20PM)
That's grounds for divorce right there.
Message: Posted by: foolsnobody (Oct 7, 2019 02:49AM)
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
As a New Yorker, who married a California girl. We argue about pronunciation all the time. Neither of us will budge an inch and we simply have to agree to disagree. Sometimes I will even use phrases like, "Italian soft cheese" so we don't have to argue about how to pronounce "Ricotta." [/quote]

Long "o" accent on the 2nd syllable?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 7, 2019 08:48PM)
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Eye-talian or It-alian? [/quote]
It-alian.
The former is an insult.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Oct 8, 2019 05:08AM)
In NYC I most hear, I- (short "i" sound) - Talian.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 8, 2019 09:00AM)
Are Eye-talians from Eye-taly?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Oct 8, 2019 09:02AM)
[quote]On Oct 7, 2019, foolsnobody wrote:
[quote]On Oct 6, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
As a New Yorker, who married a California girl. We argue about pronunciation all the time. Neither of us will budge an inch and we simply have to agree to disagree. Sometimes I will even use phrases like, "Italian soft cheese" so we don't have to argue about how to pronounce "Ricotta." [/quote]

Long "o" accent on the 2nd syllable? [/quote]
In english the double consonant shortens the vowel. But Ricotta is not english.
Message: Posted by: lunatik (Oct 10, 2019 07:38AM)
[quote]On Oct 2, 2019, arthur stead wrote:
A few years ago my neighbor told me she wanted to build a fence between our two properties. When I advised her that she’d have to get a survey done, she refused, and unfortunately our resulting argument became a little heated. The next thing I knew, the police knocked on my door and delivered a summons. In court, she told the judge that I had threatened her. In addition she made up all sorts of lies, for example that I poisoned her trees, put dog poop in her yard, and “glared” at her like a peeping tom. I couldn’t believe something so trivial (i.e. advising her of the correct procedure for building a fence) would result in such a spectacle.

Unfortunately the judge believed my neighbor, and she got to build her fence. And as part of the restraining order, I was instructed to stay 50 ft. away from her and her property for the next year. Not that I cared about that. But what I DID care about, is that my court case was now on record, which prevented me from approaching any new school and daycare clients. (Schools in my area do a background check before they decide to hire you). Needless to say, this severely impacted my income from educational magic shows.

Of course I could have fought her in court over this, but I didn’t have thousands of dollars lying around to hire attorneys, etc. So I suffered in silence. And even though the court ruling has long since expired, to this day I have never spoken another word to my neighbor. I even cross the street when I see her approaching in my direction.

What a way to live! [/quote]


I would have the survey completed and if she is out of compliance, then file a lawsuit for a really large sum to make up for the years of you putting up with her.