(Close Window)
Topic: Memory effects
Looking for some recommendations for memory effects! I have the memory span of a goldfish so nothing to taxing please!!!
There's no such thing as a bad memory. There are only trained, and untrained memories.

Colin Cloud has a really good routine for faking it in Divine called Mesmerized Deck.
Do you want to perform ACTUAL memory-effects or perform effects that APPEAR to be memory-based?
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Do you want to perform ACTUAL memory-effects or perform effects that APPEAR to be memory-based? [/quote]

That appear to be memory based if that is possible.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, corindaman wrote:
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Do you want to perform ACTUAL memory-effects or perform effects that APPEAR to be memory-based? [/quote]

That appear to be memory based if that is possible. [/quote]

Not only possible, but significantly easier.
Lee Earle's "Alphatized" uses a deck of 26 cards with letters of the alphabet. It involves some long-term memorization prior to performing the effect, and some memory and mostly appearance of memory while performing. The effect is my favorite opener.

George
Graphic, by Matt Mello. Memory Test, by Richard Osterlind
Binary Code (Rick Lax). Instant download from Penguin Magic.
Storm (Patrick Redford), The Evolution of a Rain King (ibid.), basically a lot of effects by Patrick Redford but those two are from his Applesauce book, which I really like.

I actually like Binary Code and Storm the best, in terms of ease relative to impact on an audience.

I'm not familiar with Graphic by Matt Mello but Photographic by Matt Mello is a memory effect with no actual memorization. It's ok I suppose. I use a memorized deck so the method he uses, while clever, isn't needed if I make the same compromises as he does in the effect (those who have it should know what I mean).

Those are just off the top of my head, as a lot of this is just relative to framing any number of effects.

Best,
Chris
I love Wayneman by wayne dobson. Easy to do and great reactions. Its on one if the BBM ultimate self working DVDs if I remember correctly.
Ben Cardall has some good (card-based) memory effects . They can be found on his ‘At the Table’ lecture.

And believe it or not, I took a card-based effect by Boris Pocus (Sankey) called ‘Lottery’ and adapted it to be an apparent memory effect.

- Ross
Harry Lorayne's How to Develop a Super-Power Memory.
Vincent Hedan’s Babel book test is a terrific book test with a memory theme. There is a small degree of actual memory involved (not hard), but I think that’s a plus because when you tell the audience you are using your memory, you actually are, so adds and authenticity to the moment.
I don't quite know why Luke Jermay's "49 Seconds" doesn't get mentioned more often. I think it's a great routine.
Hey Chris, here is Graphic by Matt Mello. Photographic might be an update?
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=305882&forum=218
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Pastor Mickey wrote:
Hey Chris, here is Graphic by Matt Mello. Photographic might be an update?
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=305882&forum=218 [/quote]

Thanks! It seems quite a bit like Photographic, as you can see here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4436
No idea which is the update, I believe Photographic is part of a DVD set he sold at some point.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Axel wrote:
I don't quite know why Luke Jermay's "49 Seconds" doesn't get mentioned more often. I think it's a great routine. [/quote]

I’d say because it has mixed reviews. I don’t own it but I did look it up based on your post. From what I’ve read, I wouldn’t buy it.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Chris K wrote:
[quote]On Oct 16, 2019, Axel wrote:
I don't quite know why Luke Jermay's "49 Seconds" doesn't get mentioned more often. I think it's a great routine. [/quote]

I’d say because it has mixed reviews. I don’t own it but I did look it up based on your post. From what I’ve read, I wouldn’t buy it. [/quote]

Okay. Interesting.
I bought it a few years ago and did quite like it.
Thought it had a nice build up and clever methods.
But I don't know many routines of this kind so can't really compare.
It is also worth looking at the relevant “step” in Corinda. There are several techniques covered briefly but adequately and a number of performance presentations that range from good to very good.

Patrick
My favourite memory effect is teaching the audience to say the alphabet backwards. Fun to do and with the audience pleased at their achievement.
Also worth mentioning Vincent Hedan's 10000 Decimals of Pi.

I also think you should probably read the Lorayne books and other assorted real material. So that you know what's sort of possible and so that you can speak intelligently about it. Lets say you claim to be using pegs to remember some stuff, and someone asks you about it, but you don't actually no the first thing about it. Then it all sort of falls apart.

//Dan
Always interesting to see the level to which people ignore the actual OPs question.
I think he got several excellent suggestions... in fact the least helpful comment was yours :)

//Dan
More typical magician's thinking throughout this post. Why not make the effort to actually learn memory techniques and be the real thing rather than just fake memory tricks passed as memory? Always looking for the trick or shortcut, but that is no surpise here lately.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
More typical magician's thinking throughout this post. Why not make the effort to actually learn memory techniques and be the real thing rather than just fake memory tricks passed as memory? Always looking for the trick or shortcut, but that is no surpise here lately. [/quote]

I posit that taking shortcuts to learn astounding memory-fakes results in a completely different kind of show/presentation than actual memory-techniques.
Comparing Apples and Orangutans.
The thing is a lot of pseudo memory routines are structured to be entertaining. Certainly a lousy performer will still be lousy but if they do something entertaining then the audience hasn't suffered quite as much as if a lousy performer just showed off that they can memorise stuff.

Of course, anyone wanting to appear "real" will hide the whole notion of memorising stuff and use it as a secret weapon.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, David Numen wrote:
The thing is a lot of pseudo memory routines are structured to be entertaining. Certainly a lousy performer will still be lousy but if they do something entertaining then the audience hasn't suffered quite as much as if a lousy performer just showed off that they can memorise stuff.
[/quote]

Agreed.
Real memory is difficult (not impossible!) to pace and still be entertaining.
I can memorize a shuffled-deck in 10 seconds and name a taken/missing card in another 10 seconds. It would be excruciatingly-boring if it took me 5 minutes.
Why do so many instantly go to a deck of cards when thinking of memory demonstrations. There are soooo many other ways and things to memorize and do demonstrations with that are much more interesting, entertaining, and personal than cards. Again, magicians thinking, not from the audience's perspectives for whom you are entertaining.
[quote]On Oct 18, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Why do so many instantly go to a deck of cards when thinking of memory demonstrations. There are soooo many other ways and things to memorize and do demonstrations with that are much more interesting, entertaining, and personal than cards. Again, magicians thinking, not from the audience's perspectives for whom you are entertaining. [/quote]

Magicians already have a deck in hand.
Yeah, I get that, but that doesn't change the audience's perceptions and interest. if anything it would make them think trick rather than actual memory.
I think enough magazine tv shows across the world have had genuine memory champions showing their prowess with a shuffled deck of cards for audiences to find it an acceptable item to memorise. So long as the performer hasn't done 15 minutes of Ace assemblies beforehand I don't think there's any issue at all with memorising a deck of cards.

A guy called Nick Mohammed portraying a character called Mr Swallow on a British show (8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown) did a faux mem-deck demonstration and everyone was amazed. Personally, I think there's far more entertaining things you can do with a memdeck than show you've memorised the deck but it worked and the celebrity panellists wee clearly amazed.
Many thanks everyone, lots of ideas to take away.
I close my performance my thanking everybody in the audience by their first name. This fascinates them how I could remember everybody’s name after I only met them less than an hour ago. Like Mindoro said above, learn REAL memory systems. I learned my closer from Harry Lorayne’s books Super Power Memory, and Remembering People. It really is like having a super power.
Mnemonic Major System is a good place to start.