(Close Window)
Topic: Darwin Ortiz’s stack
Is this published anywhere? I have been comparing various published stacks, and remarkably, could not find Mr Ortiz’s specific stack. I am aware it is his own creation.
Thanks !
Michael
I believe darwin ortiz’s stack can be found on a “penguin live lecture”. Published in 2013
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, tom_stamm wrote:
I believe darwin ortiz’s stack can be found on a “penguin live lecture”. Published in 2013 [/quote]

Watch the video:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3738
[quote]On Oct 28, 2019, Kjellstrom wrote:
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, tom_stamm wrote:
I believe darwin ortiz’s stack can be found on a “penguin live lecture”. Published in 2013 [/quote]

Watch the video:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3738 [/quote]

Nice summary of the lecture; however, it does not indicate whether he explicitly explains his particular memorized deck order.
Thanks for your responses though.

M.
I don’t think he has ever released his stack, but you can see him shuffle into it in one of his old dvds. I think it’s a stebbins variation. I am not sure but I think you can see him shuffle into it for the trick mind bender on his at the card table dvd set. Not 100 percent sure, but that trick is worth looking up. It seems to be si stebbins with half the cards reversed so in mirror stack. Not sure though. Just from memory.
The stack is a mirror stack. It does not appear to be a SiStebbins varient. The metadata I have on the stack says its from a “Penguin Live Lecture”. Perhaps you can contact
penguin directly and ask them.
The stack is a mirror stack. It does not appear to be a SiStebbins varient. The metadata I have on the stack says its from a “Penguin Live Lecture”. Perhaps you can contact
penguin directly and ask them.
Thank you for the additional information!
He does not explain his stack anywhere. It really has no built in features and no uses other than it is what he memorized and he can get into it from a NDO very easily.On one of the lecture videos, I was able to determine the steps he used to get into the stack and I was able to confirm it once he spread the deck. It is not hard to figure out. If you have his first lecture video. At about 1:05:40 he opens a new deck; displaces the Diamonds and Spades and then performs 4 perfect out-faro shuffles. He then asks for a card, the 'ten of spades' is named and he says it is the tenth card in his stack. If you perform the above process then you will see that your stack matches his. Again, it is nice to get into from NDO, but otherwise, as he says, "The stack does not MATTER". Just learn one and you can do almost all the effects that use a mem-deck.
[quote]On Oct 29, 2019, Kingman wrote:
He does not explain his stack anywhere. It really has no built in features and no uses other than it is what he memorized and he can get into it from a NDO very easily.On one of the lecture videos, I was able to determine the steps he used to get into the stack and I was able to confirm it once he spread the deck. It is not hard to figure out. If you have his first lecture video. At about 1:05:40 he opens a new deck; displaces the Diamonds and Spades and then performs 4 perfect out-faro shuffles. He then asks for a card, the 'ten of spades' is named and he says it is the tenth card in his stack. If you perform the above process then you will see that your stack matches his. Again, it is nice to get into from NDO, but otherwise, as he says, "The stack does not MATTER". Just learn one and you can do almost all the effects that use a mem-deck. [/quote]

Thank you for the additional information! Nice detective work!

Michael
He does not explain his stack anywhere. It really has no built in features and no uses other than it is what he memorized and he can get into it from a NDO very easily.On one of the lecture videos, I was able to determine the steps he used to get into the stack and I was able to confirm it once he spread the deck. It is not hard to figure out. If you have his first lecture video. At about 1:05:40 he opens a new deck; displaces the Diamonds and Spades and then performs 4 perfect out-faro shuffles. He then asks for a card, the 'ten of spades' is named and he says it is the tenth card in his stack. If you perform the above process then you will see that your stack matches his. Again, it is nice to get into from NDO, but otherwise, as he says, "The stack does not MATTER". Just learn one and you can do almost all the effects that use a mem-deck. [/quote]

But why tip it?
This is the basic stack that I use, though I displace ten cards from the bottom to the top to break up the symmetry.
Why tip it? Well I can't comment on that but this certainly is not Mnem....
I always thought it was Stay Stack, but if you want to learn a memdeck, just pick one and learn it, the benefits are great - I use Mnemonica and its a great tool for working with!
I am so sorry . I made a very confusing error in what I said below. The ten of Spades will not be the tenth card, it will be the 6th card after following these steps. The tenth will be the ten of Diamonds. So sorry about the confusion this caused.
Displace Spades and Diamonds (In other words, switch them with each other)
perform 4 perfect out-faro shuffles
you will be in the stack used by Darwin.