(Close Window)
Topic: Club Fundraising Ideas
As with all arts organizations I’ve ever experienced, any “membership fees” never cover all the operating expenses. What has your club successfully used to raise additional funds?

Some we’ve successfully tried are:

• Public Shows with ticket sales
• Member shows for clients - donating their fee to the club
• Fundraising Show for local charity/school - splitting the proceeds
• Monthly Sponsorships/Patrons - drawing on a company’s marketing budget.
• Estate Planning

Other ideas? On April 1, 2020, SAM Assembly 7, officially becomes a 501C3 non-profit corporation, and I’m looking for ideas that are new to our area of the country.
Just out of curiosity, how may of your members are hobbyists and amateurs, and how many are performing for profit semi-pros or working professionals (FT or PY)?
Thirty of our members perform full-time or part-time for money. Thirty are hobbyists. Why did you ask?
Just curious. I was thinking depending on the size of the membership and actual performers, perhaps a business workshop could be a way to provide something of value to the membership while raising funds for the club? So many lectures, guests and things are typically based around tricks, methods, or presentations, yet many magicians/mentalists seem to have the most problems with learning and conducting the business side of operations. They tend to oversimplify things by falsely believing that once they have a show that they feel is market-ready, that all they need to do is market. There is so much missing in between these two things that many have trouble with. Truth be told so many performers actually dread the business side of things, and in reality, this is often because they have no business guidance, knowledge or experience of entertainment business (not genera or conventional business).

It is a topic many are often willing to pay a premium price for as it can directly result in profitability and a return on their investment that can improve and benefit from for years to come. I thought it may be a consideration of offering those something new, offering those hobbyists that would like to take the plunge into starting to perform for profit and bringing something new or different to the club that had the potential to also be a fundraiser to bring some revenue in for the club?
You have made excellent points. Having done nothing but start and run my own businesses including twelve years in school shows, I know it’s not an easy road and is more work than many want to believe. You have given me much to think about. Thank you.