(Close Window)
Topic: Voodoo Needle by Peter Eggink & Aeon Sun
Looks like a fun effect to perform.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13144

"Voodoo Needle was the only item I chose to buy at the Blackpool Magic Convention 2020, it's THAT good!" - Max Maven

"When you see it, you imagine it is high tech magic! But once you know the incredible organic secret, You feel even better, with a definite jubilating emotion, the one created by real magic... it is really that good... Give yourself this rare pleasure..." - Gaetan Bloom

"I had to see what everyone was raving about, and when I did, my jaw dropped. Immediately I knew Voodoo Needle would go right in to my working set! Stunning visual with a genius method!" - Lewis Lť Val

"Voodoo Pin fools everyone. The method is a new principle and is deviously clever." - Tim Trono
That looks good to me! Eagerly awaiting some detailed reviews.
I LOVE THIS!!!! Simple and very eerie. I just wanted to sing praises as I love this. This is not a review. This is just me being excited upon learning the secret!
I predicted this would be a convention top seller.
Looked pretty obvious to me.
I recreated it just from watching the trailer one time. But I don't think most spectators think like I do. I could not use it in paid shows as I don't use a table or a surface. If someone does, I am guessing with proper presentation this could be built up into a small show piece.
Problem with this effect is unless you use a huge pad then the secret is obvious, I have tried it with lots of different sizes and anything under A4 gives it away. I do like the effect but I see this as only a sit down at a table effect with a large pad, if thatís your way of performing then you have a fantastic effect that people will find very baffling. I hope that someone can find a great size pad that you can easily carry around to perform this with
I did it with an A5 pad and it fooled. Must be your presentation.
There mustíve been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Maxís favourite effect. Honestly.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
There mustíve been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Maxís favourite effect. Honestly. [/quote]

Usually everyone is that engrossed in the new releases that some real gems that may have been out years get overlooked , agree it doesnít inspire me.
Oh sounds good, no threads or magnets, ooooh, watch the trailer..ok simple, there is no method, it just is what it is, which means any spec can repeat it instantly...
reminds me of the funky bridge they built in london that wobbled.
thanks, but ill save me 15 bucks.... should be free in a mag, or just in a book of other effects,,,
My Review and Demo In French,sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KQg5K6GKQ
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, Doric wrote:
I did it with an A5 pad and it fooled. Must be your presentation. [/quote]

The best format for this trick is A3
Does seem like a fun principle that I've not previously heard of in my 30 years in the biz. It fooled me. I expected at least something to be gimmicked. Nothing is. The tutorial is decent but short. Only about 14 minutes. Has a "I better rush this to market before anyone rips me off" feel because only a few basic ideas are shared. It's one of those principles that is so unique/fun that hopefully someone will get creative and come up with a killer routine for it. The basic voodoo presentation is blah and doesn't really make sense or have a build/climax. He shows a nice ESP symbol reveal which was more creative IMO, but I still think there have to be better ways to use this.

As for pad size, no specific size is really required but I do think it looks more impossible with a bigger pad because of the distance between the pencil/pen and the pin. So it's really personal preference. I think bigger pad certainly looks better but stinks for strolling obviously. He uses a giant pad in the demo which looks really good but you could only really use that for a formal or stationary performance.

Could it have been included in lecture notes or a magazine? Yep, but at $14, it's reasonable especially for a principle I doubt many of us have ever seen/heard of before.
I've had a watch (and a wash) - and I like it... I know they say use a pin with a coloured head for visibility, and I agree...but, I also want to play around with using a regular sowing needle, but with a little bit of thread hanging off it...see if that works too, as I think the visual will look a bit more eeireÖ

I also like the Ouija kinda idea too... will have to see if this works with say a P*r*l*b sized pad, and I think there's an "equal and opposite reaction" angle to play with, and I want to divide the paper in half and see what that looks like...

and there's some simple convincers to defuse the idea of how this works too (covered in their explanation)Ö

remember that pin-bending effect from a couple of years ago? maybe there's some mileage out of sw*tch*ng and finishing on the bend (matron)?
I saw this at Blackpool and loved it! I too was fooled by the method as were most magicians that were there. I would say, some people will get the method, but A) it doesn't mean it is a bad method and B) it doesn't mean others won't be fooled by it. I think, it is so unique and unlike anything on the market that it's hard to comprehend what it is past what magicians would suspect it to be. This, used as part of a larger routine could be great! Think about drawing you own Ouija board on a pad of paper, one person writes down a name of a past celebrity they would like to contact. A pin is placed in the middle of the pad, everyone rests their fingers lightly on the pad. Suddenly, the pin acts as a planchette and starts spelling out the name of the spirit the spectator wished to contact. Taking the Voodoo Needle principle, adding in some kind of peek and layering methods will make this an incredibly piece of mystifying magic. Just think outside of the box with it, layer in methods and this will great incredible reactions!

Jamie Daws
I had one of the early ones. I use an art pad and a large hat pin. I get a name from the participant and insinuate that the needle is guiding the pencil as opposed to the other way round. So the doll and needle spell out someoneís name and you Ďfollowí it with the pencil. If the named person is found dead a week later you can claim the credit and garner immeasurable publicity !! :angel:
Love it Gordon 😂😂 .
I have to agree a bigger pad is better as the distance from the magic is more fooling and not only looks better but works better .
You need a certain amount of p....ur. so therefore far less is needed on a bigger pad ( the leverage effect , not Mark Leveridge ) imo .
Also the pad wants to move about if itís too small which defeats the object ( literally ) .
If anyway knows how to get the needle in perfectly I would appreciate a pm .
Mines often too rigid or too wobbly 😂😂 Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, IAIN wrote:
I also want to play around with using a regular sowing needle, but with a little bit of thread hanging off it...see if that works too, as I think the visual will look a bit more eeireÖ

[/quote]
instead of thread, a human hair from your spec would be much more erie, and inkeeping with the voodoo theme.
there you go, that will be $14.95, paypal only, no refunds, thx
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:

If anyway knows how to get the needle in perfectly I would appreciate a pm .
Mines often too rigid or too wobbly 😂😂 Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

Practice my good sir, practice!
and I don't even have it, but after a few mins playing around I noticed the exact same probs.
Review:

How hard is it? If 0 was self working, and 10 was near impossible, this would be a 0 (or maybe a 0.1). There is something you need to do (or not do) but there is nothing to hide, itís essentially self working.

How examinable is it? 101% examinable... they could grab the needle as it moves and examine it.

Suited for social media or live performance? If 0 = trick you could only do for the camera, and 10 = trick that really only worked in live performance... Iíd give this an 8.5. This is better suited to live performances. You could use this for social media as it has a visual appeal but... nah live performance is where this is at.

How impromptu is it? 0 = giant stage illusion, 10 = can be performed naked with nothing on you.... Iíd say 5. There are no gimmicks, But you do need a rather large pad for the illusion. A4 is fine, A3 is perfect... A5 possible but not ideal at all.

Value for money? There is some value in the illusion in its current form, but the real value is in what it could be. The download is 9 mins long, and almost half of that is performance. If I could describe this download as a phrase it would be, ďok you see this cool idea? this is my idea and I came up with it firstĒ. I donít mean that offensively, itís a very simple concept and anyone could have stumbled across it and released before them... and the length of the download just suggests that they wanted to get the idea out there quickly to protect against others claiming the discovery, Iíd have done the same. The routines in the download are meh, but the potential routines that could come from this could be A*. I got value for my money.

Whatís the catch? Might be hard to use this for walk around unless you are willing to carry a larger pad with you, and you also need a table.

Will you perform it? When the opportunity arises, yes! Though I will work on a reason to use this first. Iím not the biggest fan of the voodoo idea. Itís too easy (and fooling), Iíll have to perform it.

Concluded: there are a lot of positives with this download. Itís incredibly easy to perform, it will fool most magicians (let alone laymen), and I can see a killer routine being made from this concept. That said, this wonít be suitable to walk around/ mix and mingle magicians, and in my opinion youíd need to spend time on working out a decent presentation. If you arenít the most creative mind and you donít like the presentations in the download, this may not be for you either.
What are we looking at in terms of supplies. Things we should all have in our drawers?
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
There mustíve been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Maxís favourite effect. Honestly. [/quote]

Thatís kind of what I was thinking. Not comprehending the excitement for this one. I watched the trailer more than once to see if there was something I missed. Nope.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, btwigg wrote:
What are we looking at in terms of supplies. Things we should all have in our drawers? [/quote]

a needle, a pad, and a pen, or just your finger...
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, btwigg wrote:
What are we looking at in terms of supplies. Things we should all have in our drawers? [/quote]
A pad, pen and a needle. There isnít anything else
What length of push pen would work best?
I have no idea about the method, but I can imagine that this can really creep some people out in the hands of a capable presenter. I would definitely say that presentation for the ability to present, is a key here. A definite key.
Love this effect! Beautiful, elegant, simple, and powerful.

This thread reminds me how much I dislike the Cafť though. It's a steal for $15. I've spent much more on magic with less than half the appeal, or practicality.

I'm confident that this will become a classic.

It reminds me of the simplicity of some of Wayne Houchin's material. So simple you kick yourself. With an engaging presentation and a layered method or two it could be super strong.
The way I figure it, if Max maven is sold on it, and purchased one, well that says a lot. Of course that is presuming he wasnít paid to endorse, which I highly doubt he wouldíve been.
It is a steal but the price is irrelevant to me when I critique something . Remember 100% of nothing is worth nothing and 10% of 100 is worth 10% .
That being said this is quirky and different but in a real world scenario it isnít earth shattering imho . Fooled me and probably fooled more of us magicians than laymen as they arenít thinking method wise as much as us Gaz 🙂
Great, simple and practical effect. This is only limited by your imagination. Create an intriguing story and maybe combine it with Vertex by Christopher Taylor or other similar effects and you will have an intriguing, entertaining routine.
Michael
Simple magic is sometimes the best magic.
In the right hands it can be a miracle.
And once learned never forgotten.
Todd
Combine it with ashes on palm and youíll get some people who are genuinely scared :)

Madison
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
Combine it with ashes on palm and youíll get some people who are genuinely scared :)

Madison [/quote]

Lovely idea Madison.
Gotta love the sales pitch that it sold out at the convention. It is a download is it not.
This is oddly satisfying. I'm a better person for knowing this somehow :)
It's a quirky thought provoking odd effect and I'm happy to know it.
Add a Okito Voodoo doll to Madisons idea and you have a bizarre act that fits in an Altoid tin.
That's It ? going to take a big pad with me for that ! maybe I am missing something it's late I will take a look at it again tomorrow. I think everyone is impressed with the method then the effect itself. If anything follow up with LOOPS after that demonstration .....
It was sold as a physical item at Blackpool Gaz 🙂
Method aside which is simple and clever.Many here may "write this off" due to whats shown in the demo as far as the routine . Which in my opinion is some what simple almost to a fault. IE needle follows pens movement. My initial idea which I will share would be to use the glass to draw or trace two circles on the page. This will give 2 perfect cirles and introduces the glass early as well.
Have a card freely selected from a deck. Spectators shuffles it back in the deck. You then ask them to imagine that these circles are 2 clock faces and they need to fill in both clocks with 12 cards IE 9C 3S 4D etc. Instead of the traditional numbers. And in doing so they are asked to place their card in any position on the clock they wish along with the other 11 cards they chose to think of. You of course do "not know" which of the 12 it is.
So they now have two identical clocks. They then chose either clock to place the pin into its centre. You then take the glass and cover the pin and the clock isolating it. This next step is optional but You could then place a silk over top of glass as well. You now take the pen and hover it over the other clock slowly and dramatically landing in its centre asking them to think of their card. After some build up you draw a line from centre to say the 7D. First climax is you "read their mind". Second one you remove the silk and the needle is now leaning towards that same card. Some may prefer to do it exposed so they see the needle move but there is something to be said about them removing the silk to reveal it. Same premise could be done with actual clock times as a prediction if you use your imagination. The other thought and I am not sure if it would play is you pretend that the needle is moving first and guiding your hand but that takes a bit of timed misdirection not sure if it would fly. If specs watch the needle they may not notice pen is slightly ahead of it.
I like those ideas Scott. The idea of covering it with a silk and then showing it to have moved is really nice, as you can then 'up the ante' by showing it actually in motion in a subsequent segment. Gets a bit more mileage out of it and I think it would seem like completely different thing happening, because in the first there's time distance between the pencil moving and the needle being shown to have moved, while in the second part they happen in sync, so it seems really different. Obviously you wouldn't do the clock idea twice.
Superb ! Thanks
Very nice routine indeed 👍👍 Gaz 🙂
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, 252life wrote:
Add a Okito Voodoo doll to Madisons idea and you have a bizarre act that fits in an Altoid tin.

[/quote]

Imagine the amazement when you pull out your A3 pad from an Altoids tin.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 26, 2020 06:21AM)
:lol: That 'll be the hit of Blackpool 2021.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2020, bowers wrote:
Simple magic is sometimes the best magic.
In the right hands it can be a miracle.
And once learned never forgotten.
Todd [/quote]

Bowers you took the writing right out of my hands! I agree with you simplicity is the best for all miracles of magic. KISS!
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, 252life wrote:

[/quote]

Imagine the amazement when you pull out your A3 pad from an Altoids tin. [/quote]

Doh! Itís always the obvious that I miss :)
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, howardy wrote:
I like those ideas Scott. The idea of covering it with a silk and then showing it to have moved is really nice, as you can then 'up the ante' by showing it actually in motion in a subsequent segment. Gets a bit more mileage out of it and I think it would seem like completely different thing happening, because in the first there's time distance between the pencil moving and the needle being shown to have moved, while in the second part they happen in sync, so it seems really different. Obviously you wouldn't do the clock idea twice. [/quote]

Ya if you wanted to up the Ante as you said you could may be do it with 2 selected cards the first one under the cover of the silk and the second they see the needle move.
Just to stop any misinformation - you definitely don't need a big a3 pad for this to work...

people just need to spend a little time thinking about things and trying stuff out...
Yeah agreed but it looks far better the further you are away from the needle imo Gaz 🙂
I am using an A5 (5.5x8.5) pad and it works great. Its a small sketch book by Canson that is 50lb medium tooth paper.
Am I the only one that was able to completely figure this out after watching the demo video?

Mark
[quote]On Feb 26, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
Am I the only one that was able to completely figure this out after watching the demo video?

Mark [/quote]

Probably not but I figured it was worth supporting.
It's easy to say "I figured it out" but not so easy to say "I invented it"..
Pretty cool, but I doubt that many will actually do this effect.
Love this and definitely one for my friend of the spooky Mr Jamie Daws!

Dr Rob
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Pretty cool, but I doubt that many will actually do this effect. [/quote]

Only time will tell. This will kill with a good presentation. I have a formal show in 3 weeks and this will be in the show. I usually close my act with my haunted key routine and going to use this as lead in to it. Before all the trolls get started, I know 99.9% of the magicians just use the basic key concept and don't get overly excited about the HK either but my routine is strong enough to usually get a standing O. I'll report back after the 15th.

Best

Steve
Hi, I have just uploaded a blog & Youtube reviews for Voodoo Needle by Peter Eggink & Aeon Sun

Blog Review:
https://www.alexmagicreview.com/post/trick-review-voodoo-needle-by-peter-eggink-aeon-sun

Youtube Review:
https://youtu.be/p1QEiIeLlVU

Hope this is helpful.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Great review alex, and your daughter shows not only how easy it is, but also how little time and thought peter eggink and aeon sun put into developing this 'effect' for the $20 (currently discounted to 14.95) penguin are charging for this self working trick any spec can duplicate in an instant. by introducing the stationary needle you have created a layer that helps hide the obvious method!
well done, and she is very cute!
Very nice, Alex. The idea of the 2nd needle is a very good one. And your daughter's performance might just be my favorite performance of a magic effect, ever - she is adorable!
Saying it again, on the download you are shown how to write and the needle not move...doesn't take much to experiment with this and make it seems extremely fair, as well as cancelling out certain assumptions...
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, Illucifer wrote:
Very nice, Alex. The idea of the 2nd needle is a very good one. And your daughter's performance might just be my favorite performance of a magic effect, ever - she is adorable! [/quote]

Agreed. Very good performance and idea.
Agree. Nice idea and performance. I really do think there is plenty of room for creativity with this one and that the best ideas are yet to come. Hopefully people more creative than me will continue to come up with full routines that showcase this unique plot.
Message: Posted by: TheDirectionalist (Feb 27, 2020 01:08PM)
I think people are seeing this 100% wrong. This is similar to a pendulum in that even if you know how it works, itís still extremely cool. And even though you can find out how a pendulum really works, thereís still millions of people who believe itís something supernatural. I think thatís where the power in this lies. This is something that even if they can replicate it on their own, it still seems unexplainable.
It is a nice effect, but because of it is so simple, little if any technique and no gimmicks it is too easy to replicate. All you have to do is to try it and you will get the method and the youtube videos that are starting to appear will help you if you don't. Therefore it would have been good if the video had presentation ideas and not been shorter than the promo video that would make it worth the download. Just my opinion.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, TheDirectionalist wrote:
I think people are seeing this 100% wrong. This is similar to a pendulum in that even if you know how it works, itís still extremely cool. And even though you can find out how a pendulum really works, thereís still millions of people who believe itís something supernatural. I think thatís where the power in this lies. This is something that even if they can replicate it on their own, it still seems unexplainable. [/quote]

which people are seeing it wrong? this effect has had nothing but praise from some of the biggest names in the industry, and almost everyone on the Cafť...mostly because they were fooled by the (probably ) lack of thread / magnets advert blurb I would guess.
the only gripe I have is the price, that the effect is the method (so any spec could recreate it instantly), and lack of development, people here have already added ideas that make it better, but of course nobody will get any money for it...
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, TheDirectionalist wrote:
I think people are seeing this 100% wrong. This is similar to a pendulum in that even if you know how it works, itís still extremely cool. And even though you can find out how a pendulum really works, thereís still millions of people who believe itís something supernatural. I think thatís where the power in this lies. This is something that even if they can replicate it on their own, it still seems unexplainable. [/quote]

This is all so true. BTW, a lot of people still can't do the pendulum. This is not necessarily easily replicated. Without giving exposing, there is something very minor that there is a high percentage people will do and it won't work. IMO,its a worker.

Best

Steve
If so many people knew how this effect worked they would not have bought it.
After learning it.You say I understand it now.But I don't think everyone was sure
how exactly it worked.
And presented right will still be in the no about it.
I think this only caught magicians out because we know methods . Lay people donít ( hopefully ) know as many , so therefore on this one I agree logic is unfortunately more likely to dictate the answer .
Itís a decent little effect but I think anyone who thinks itís the best effect of the connection is kidding themselves .
Itís like Penn & Teller being fooled they guess p.lm because the magician fakes a p.lm as they ( P&T ) know thatís a method and hence then guess wrong .
Pretty basic observations on my part , but true imho ( see Iíve convinced myself ) 😂 Gaz 🙂
I agree it isn't the best thing since sliced bread.
But it is a good effect.As said above audience management is the key.
And how you present it will be a key factor also.I have did it several
times with different people in my office which is filled with architects
and computer programers.And all were very amazed at the effect.I believe the more simple
minded people will guess what could be happening then the more intellect one's.
Magicians are usally looking for an gimmick to accomplish a effect.But so are lay people.
The real magic that makes you smile when someone presents this right is what counts.
Todd
I had no idea what was going on. After giving it a try and it actually working...I still don't really understand it! Seems pretty close to real magic to me.
Already on tick tock. Hope no one bought this with intentions of performing it.

Madison
So is the TT but performed well still goes over good with most.
Using a large spiral pad and pencil, I did it to my wife...she smiled...said it looked weird...then said exactly how it was done. First time she ever guest a trick I performed.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
Already on tick tock. Hope no one bought this with intentions of performing it. [/quote]

I know!!! My kid busted me with ďI already saw this DadĒ. I thought there could be no way. He has an engineer mind. Heís always trying to bust me. So his smart a&& writes down a prediction of what is going to happen. I bet him. I just bought this yesterday! It came out last weekend. So I perform it and his prediction is right. Thx a lot Tiktok kid. On a better note, it freaked out my wife and she knows it all. I did the voodoo doll. Wrote words like pain and hate and like a ouija board I wrote out ďbyeĒ and timed the finish of the e with the pin popping out , ďdeadĒ. It was worth it .
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, MadisonH wrote:

Madison [/quote]

How does Tick Tock work and how big is the range for such video?
The biggest issue right now is, it is a great trick but everyone is doing it in its simplest form, which is wrong.

If no additional layer of deception is added to hide the method, it's just like doing a criss-cross force without time misdirection at all. It's not the trick or method is the problem, but magician is the problem.

Sad...

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, ArtIn wrote:

Madison [/quote]

How does Tick Tock work and how big is the range for such video? [/quote]

It's so so huge. And any videos can be explosively huge in hours.

Besides, Chinese is using it too. So there are a lot of exposures there. Because many just want to gain audience.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong

Madison [/quote]

I didnít buy it with the intention of never performing it.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:

Madison [/quote]

I didnít buy it with the intention of never performing it. [/quote]

Oof, bad news for you then!

As mentioned earlier, Tick Tock is massive right now. The largest social media app exclusively for videos. Creates huge sensations over night. And those videos can get hundreds of millions of views within a week.

Needless to say, not good for something like this to be on there as a ďchallenge.Ē

Madison

Madison
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:

Madison [/quote]

I didnít buy it with the intention of never performing it. [/quote]

Oof, bad news for you then!

As mentioned earlier, Tick Tock is massive right now. The largest social media app exclusively for videos. Creates huge sensations over night. And those videos can get hundreds of millions of views within a week.

Needless to say, not good for something like this to be on there as a ďchallenge.Ē

Madison

Madison [/quote]

Not bad news at all. I repeat. I did not buy it.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2020, alexhui wrote:
The biggest issue right now is, it is a great trick but everyone is doing it in its simplest form, which is wrong. [/quote]

This is very true, and the same can be said for a LOT of magic. It's a shame the idea wasn't more developed to really bring out the potential this has.

There's also a LOT of misconceptions floating around about this. first the idea that you need an A3 pad, which isn't true - a larger pad heightens the effect slightly, but is by no means necessary. Then the idea that if it's spec-repeatable then it's no good. Surely that only seals the deal, that you the magician weren't doing anything funky and there really is such a thing as telekinesis, omg?!?! Then the idea that if a few million kids see a crappy version on tiktok it's somehow ruined it. If it's popular on tiktok guess what that means? That it's got the power to amaze.
Unfortunately although not known by most us , a lot of kids actually know this principle from science at school .
I see an old board game that races horses using the same method . I have this and bought it but if this is the only thing people are talking about after Blackpool then magic creations ( said tongue in cheek ) are on spiral bound decline Gaz 🙂
On the flip side lots of good stuff came out before Blackpool.
I type this with Creaseys 22 open next to me for example :)
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Unfortunately although not known by most us , a lot of kids actually know this principle from science at school .
I see an old board game that races horses using the same friction element of this . I have this and bought it but if this is the only thing people are talking about after Blackpool then magic creations ( said tongue in cheek ) are on spiral bound decline Gaz 🙂 [/quote]

Ainít that the truth.
Here's what really happens...

no one else invented it or applied it in a magic/mentalism way before this release
it gets released and people go crazy for it
if I remember rightly, gaz thought it was magnet based at first then corrected himself
people who bought it PMd others and blabbed about the method because they didn't like it
those who didn't buy it come on here and complain about it
and despite those who did buy it and like it and offered a few ideas, those that didn't continually insist it needs a giant pad when it doesn't
complaining for complaining's sake
all we need now is Tarik flash to re-appear and give his opinion on it too

its obvious if you make it so...put some thought into it, experiment, try things out...all that creative stuff... there's plenty of things you can do with this that negates any backwards engineering, and there's lots of presentation angles ripe for exploring...

"yeah, but that A3 pad though..."
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 28, 2020 07:02AM)
Iain, if you believe that most people that complain about this are able to be really creative I guess you really believe that magic happens. :lol:
Yes it fooled me and I was Tarik Flash but changed to my name as people seem to find it easy to put people down etc when they donít know you by your real name .
When you put your name out there and show up to the party etc surprise surprise ( not 😂) no one ever has the chops to say anything to your face .
I am only in it for the magic and happy to say my opinion without worry or trepidation .

I was fooled but that was honestly because I never really stopped at the stand as the effect didnít really appeal to me , however I was fooled so what 😂😂 Gaz 🙂
I would say this effect will not be same as to someone else.
I understand. Not everyones cup of tea taste the same.
There are plenty of threads on the Cafť that will hopefully
find a intrest for anyone here.But if it is please make it your own
and don't rush it as look what I can do.This can be presented in a way
that would be so magical to so many.
Todd
Iam also not worried too much about the voodoo presentation as I have something different in mind with it.
It will still be entertaining even if you know about the needle method.
As long itís not the core element everything will be ok.
But still I hate those Youtube Jibri-Vu TickTock magic sell out c%#p.
How about you initially perform it with the pencil and pin connected together by thread.

Then invite the spec to cut the thread (sharp scissors) and show them how there is an invisible force pervading the ether etc etc.
That sounds like good fun 👍
This works well with just 3x5 index cards btw
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, pegasus wrote:
How about you initially perform it with the pencil and pin connected together by thread.

Then invite the spec to cut the thread (sharp scissors) and show them how there is an invisible force pervading the ether etc etc. [/quote]

If you do any thread restore, like Burger's you might even use that as a follow on and then use a needle with a bit of thread through it?
[quote]On Feb 28, 2020, IAIN wrote:

Then invite the spec to cut the thread (sharp scissors) and show them how there is an invisible force pervading the ether etc etc. [/quote]

If you do any thread restore, like Burger's you might even use that as a follow on and then use a needle with a bit of thread through it? [/quote]

Good thinking. Iím also thinking a tall needle will result in an increased movement. There are various sizes available on Amazon.
There was also that release a few years back, with the needle/pin you bend between thumb and finger...maybe a sw*tch out and finish on that...

I'm using a 38mm pin at the moment...nice visibility with a coloured head...
I'm using a 1 1/4" length 38mm needle right now.
But would also like to try a 1 1/2" length as well.
Https://www.amazon.com/BLESSUME-Candle-Magick-Ritual-Skull/dp/B01LSMX2I0

Normal needle stationary.

The above voodoo needle moves.

(Probably able to place those skulls on your preferred needle if required)

That is a great idea Pegasus.

Steve
Those look great pegasus.
Excellent Pegasus 👍👍Gaz 🙂
Honest reviews even on mates effects ?
I do and always have done good or bad , can you ? Gaz 🙂
I've noticed that, generally, pegasus has gone a bit soft lately. However, with respect to this trick, I believe his original assessment was, as they say, spot on:

[quote] On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
There must've been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Max's favourite effect. Honestly. [/quote]
A syringe, parchment, and a coffin nail.
Kick starter info to follow.
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, Ray Haining wrote:
I've noticed that, generally, pegasus has gone a bit soft lately. However, with respect to this trick, I believe his original assessment was, as they say, spot on:

[quote] On Feb 25, 2020, pegasus wrote:
There must've been some absolute rubbish at Blackpool this year if this was the Max's favourite effect. Honestly. [/quote] [/quote]

Well yes, however, I do honestly believe this can be a great effect IF you create the required layers of deception within your performance. Thereís some great ideas within this thread, and Itís the reason Max loved it so much, because he knows he has the ability to deceive and destroy.
Nice find Pegasus! as for the routine, I won't use the voodoo doll presentation.. this way, people won't associate or search for the voodoo trick
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, gamma105 wrote:
Nice find Pegasus! as for the routine, I won't use the voodoo doll presentation.. this way, people won't associate or search for the voodoo trick [/quote]

Just do what I do and follow up any effect that you believe could be Ďlooked upíí by performing my favourite, smashed and restored cell phone, but donít bother with the restored phase.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Feb 29, 2020 12:40AM)
Now thatís the Pegasus I know.
[quote]On Feb 29, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Nice find Pegasus! as for the routine, I won't use the voodoo doll presentation.. this way, people won't associate or search for the voodoo trick [/quote]

Just do what I do and follow up any effect that you believe could be Ďlooked upíí by performing my favourite, smashed and restored cell phone, but donít bother with the restored phase. [/quote]

Lol
Message: Posted by: Christian de Punto (Mar 1, 2020 05:04AM)
Exactly! anyhow I miss so often creativity at performers. just because I bought "balance" I will tell the story of the prison-guy sending me letters? no!
make up your own stories and presentation guys!

my idea for voodoo-needle: ...late night... still (candle)light at the atelier-window of the fashion-designer... he was close to fall asleep but still sketching a new design for a dress... like this you give a logic reason to all items! the block, the pen and even the needle.

;-)

and after that a hindu-thread and you made out of 2 little pieces a "spooky-fashion-night"

😂

I thought this was obvious
Right?!?
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Mar 2, 2020 03:55AM)
[quote]On Mar 2, 2020, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
😂

I thought this was obvious [/quote]

I agree with this as well.
I couldnít figure out what Maddy was talking about when he said it was on tiktok. And then I see my daughter on tiktok doing this. I asked her where she learned it from and she said ď I seen it on tiktok and just tried it and it worked ď. I ended up buying this for the details. Not sure if Iíll use it yet. Only time will tell for me.
I was happy to see that my brief quote for Voodoo Needle made it into the trailer. I thought I would hop on here and loosely explain how I have been performing it since I first saw it at Blackpool.

I perform a lot of walk around mentalism and knew I had to somehow fit it in to a set.

I approach a table with an A4 pad and begin to talk about the use of altars in various cultures throughout history, and how they are used as a focal point, and each item on the altar is symbolic of something much greater. I then draw the outline of a human figure in the centre of the pad and explain that it symbolises the physical self. Next, I perform a handful of different routines, writing my predictions, reveals, drawing duplications and everything else around the outside of the figure, almost like an aura, whilst also using the pad as a close-up mat in-between reveals, essentially creating an altar that is unique to the group I am performing for.

Finally, I explain that this altar we have created represents, among other things, our shared connection and the collective unconscious of the group. I have written and drawn everything outside of the human figure to symbolise the idea that our thoughts are external as well as internal. The thought originates in the mind like a pebble dropped in a pond and the ripples spread, and anyone willing, in the right state, can recognise and receive those ripples as I have been demonstrating. This altar, a now sacred space becomes my channel, ready for a physical demonstration.

I give a simple, thirty to sixty second talk about the third eye, representing our sixth sense, which is technically our first sense (natural knowing. Nobody tells the seed to become a tree, but it does. Nobody tells the sperm to swim to the egg, but we did. A natural, universal knowing that modern society denies existence of, yet wouldn't exist without.) I then opt for a less impressive reveal, for a specific reason. I have five m****d ESP cards shuffled and tabled face down. One spectator picks up the top card, takes a look then shows it to the group before putting it back down. Everyone is now thinking of the same symbol (except for me, obviously). I place the pin in the forehead of the human figure on the pad (third eye) and ask everyone to focus the thought of the chosen symbol on the head of the pin, the focal point, and they will see the moment the ripples of the thought leave their mind and reach both the altar and myself.

I then draw the ESP symbol and of course (via the Voodoo Needle method) the pin moves too. when done I remove the pin, sign and date the bottom of the page then pull it from the pad, place my business card on the top left corner and stick the pin through both my card and the page before leaving it in the centre of the table, with a thank you and a round of applause.

I choose to reveal an ESP symbol because it is not about the reveal, but about the visual moment I receive the thought, and ESP symbols are very easy for people to recognise through the movement of the pin head, especially the square, circle and star. Also, an ESP symbol gives just enough movement for it to remain a wonder and not become a novelty.

The wavy lines, in my opinion, are the worst to do this with. So if I glance down at my m**k and see that the wavy lines is on top, instead of asking the spectator to take the top card, I simply spread the cards on the table and ask them to pick one. In this case they are highly unlikely to take the top card if they have been spread.

This surreal piece of art is a souvenir definitely worth keeping. I know of a few people already who have framed theirs.

I thought I'd share this here incase it inspires anyone :) as I too wanted an alternative presentation to the voodoo doll.

Lewis x
That's a wonderful presentation, Lewis. How generous of you to share it with us.
I'm glad you like it rosariorose9, I understand it might not suit everyone's style but I also think anyone performing Voodoo Needle would probably like this presentation :)
My first instinct for how to use this...

You ask a participant if there's ever been anyone she wished she could use a voodoo doll against. When she says yes, you hand her a large pad of paper, turn your back, and ask her to pick any spot on the page and write that person's first name on that spot. When she's done that, you ask her to write down four other random first names on other parts of the page. So there end up being five names written at random spots, one of which is the person who wronged the spec, but only she knows which one that is.

You take the pad back and draw a simple voodoo doll next to each of the names, then stick a pin into each of the dolls. After explaining that a physical doll is only a focal point for her mental energy and so forth, you hand her the pad and pen, haver her grip the pen like a knife, and ask her to put the pen down on the pad and start moving it in a small circle Ė but as she does, she's to imagine that she's twisting a knife into a voodoo doll of the person who wronged her. When she does, the pins in the dolls by the four random names stay still, but the one by the person who wronged her (which, remember, she's never revealed) moves to follow the path she's tracing.

This requires a little more preparation, but the results of my initial tests are promising.
Additional thought off the top of my head: you could instruct her to close her eyes while she does this, and to keep them closed no matter how she hears other people reacting. When she does, she'll hear everyone freaking out but she won't know why. Then have her stop and open her eyes, and say to the rest of the audience, "If you could tell which name she was focusing on by what just happened, say that name out loud on the count of three." The spec will then get the shock of hearing the audience reveal who she was thinking of.

From there you could have her do it again with her eyes open and share in the weirdness. Or you could make a slight adjustment and have her try it again, but this time nothing happens. You explain that that's not uncommon, because that initial burst of pure emotion is hard to replicate a second time. So she's left with a bit of mystery and a story from her friends that she can either believe or not.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Mar 7, 2020 12:04AM)
Wow, Lewis! What an awesome concept of using the pad and using the ESP symbols for the movement. That is first-class close-up mentalism. How wonderful of you to share it with is. Thank you so much!
Thank you so much Unmasked Magician! :)

This might be overkill and I have not tried it yet, but after my presentation you could use Jason Palter's Psionic gimmick, and say that due to the collective efforts of the group, the pin is now charged with the energy of their thought, and remove the pin, holding it between your thumb and index finger for a few moments before dropping it to the table and shaking your hand in pain a little, then show the ESP symbol blistered on your finger.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Mar 7, 2020 04:59AM)
Ha! That might be a really spooky ending :lol:
Great stuff thx
A nice presentation Lewis and very generous of you. Thank you.

[quote]On Mar 6, 2020, LewisLeVal wrote: ... (natural knowing. Nobody tells the seed to become a tree, but it does. Nobody tells the sperm to swim to the egg, but we did. A natural, universal knowing that modern society denies existence of, yet wouldn't exist without.)[/quote]

That is an unique opinion that I have not heard or read before. I want to research it. Any starting points?
Hi Jed, thank you :) I can't currently think of a starting point regarding my statement, but it all comes from extensive study and interest in all things outside of immediate understanding.

Firstly, quite literally, if it wasn't for the natural intelligence of nature itself, I wouldn't be writing this, and you wouldn't be reading it. The sperm naturally knows its only chance of survival is to get to that egg. Some would say it is attracted to the egg via temperature, but there are too many variables for this to be the only or main reason. Modern science seems to work off the basis of "give us one free miracle, and we will explain the rest". Regarding natural knowing, consciousness is of course present at birth, yet has no physical place in the human body. To this day, neuroscience still has no explanation for it or where it comes from (do we generate it like a machine or receive it like an antenna?) But unlike the five physical senses (and the many others; sense of balance, temperature, time passing, etc) consciousness requires no development, it's already there, fully loaded from the cradle to the grave (and possibly beyond?) I say beyond as it is easy to deny a belief in, but realistically it is impossible to prove or disprove. We don't honestly know, we simply choose stories and convince ourselves of them; another basic impulse to satisfy our need for easy answers that align with our subjective outlook.

Regarding the phenomenon of imagination, a neural network that's infinite in all directions, is again something that defies explanation but undeniably exists within all of us. If it wasn't for this immeasurable gateway to the universe beyond the physical, we would have no art, no language, no communication, no survival skills, no technology, no tools, no ideas... Nothing. It can be seen as an infinite, cosmic ocean in which we can fish with immediate access. It could be said that imagination is how we experience consciousness separately from the physical reality. Tethered to the physical self via the breath, as if we stopped breathing, the two would of course separate, but would the non-physical vanish? Or would we simply no longer have the physical tools to utilise it in a way that is observable or measurable? Does consciousness die with the body, or does it live on in the same way that my cell phone signal will continue to broadcast long after my phone itself dies? We just do not know, it is the greatest mystery of modern science.

We struggle to see past the data our physical senses give us, as we rely on that data almost entirely (consciously). It gives us a sense of baseline reality, but our eyes only see less than 1% of what's in front of us (EM spectrum). Our ears only hear less than 1% of the acoustic spectrum. The human body is extremely limited in its ability to collect data from the world around us, but thanks to technology (thanks to imagination) we now have microscopes, and any reductionist scientist will tell you that if you look at your hand under a microscope and magnify it enough times, you'll see that 99.9999999% of your hand (and entire self, and entire universe) is empty space. The rest is energy. Quite literally, all we truly have, all we truly are, is consciousness and imagination. We are just fortunate enough to be structured in a unit that allows us to navigate the unfathomable. We are the mirror in which the universe can admire its own beauty.

With all of this in mind (the mind itself being a non-physical entity), in my opinion, natural knowing is inevitable.

Most people have little to no motivation to engage with anything outside of their immediate understanding of themselves and everything around them, as it would provoke more questions than answers. Our beliefs about everything form the foundations of who and what we think we are, they help us maintain the illusion of the ego, the sense of individuality and separation from everyone and everything else, and if we cannot provide ourselves with answers (no matter how true or false), then all we are left with is the abyss; the unimaginable yet potential realisation that we are simultaneously nothing and everything. We normalise miracles to help us forget how unfathomable they truly are.

Sorry to get all philosophical on you there! I will stop here because once I get started on this stuff I absolutely do not shush :D I hope this provides some insight into where I got my natural knowing line from for the presentation :)

Lewis x
That is wonderful. I share a lot of the same conclusions, but you word them so much better than I could. You are such an interesting gentleman. I have purchased a few of your products and loved them. I love your esoteric-with-a-trick style. An esoteric theme with a guaranteed result. Not the wishy-washy British prop-less fishing nonsense or Jerome Finley pipe-dreams. I will being buying more of your products to get more of this style of mentalism.

You should do an AskMeAnything (AMA) style thing somewhere. You are obviously extremely well-versed in the intersection of science and the unknown (and no doubt, many more interesting subjects). I'm sure many of us would love to ask you more questions. It sets the mind racing about our own existence and the next killer presentation to pair with a Bobo switch!
So much nice feedback to the voodoo needle. Thank you all and have a nice day. Greatings from austria. :-)
I donít know where or if this will ever see use for me, but Iím happy to be aware of it.
I have a feeling itís going to fit somewhere somehow at some point though.
Itīs one of those little things ....
It isnīt a future classic, it is just a little effect for the moment.
I am proud to be a part of it.