(Close Window)
Topic: Four coin production
Can anyone suggest some four coin productions for me to look at? I'm looking for variety and pure sleight of hand, no gaffs.

Thanks,
Brian
David Stone has some great work with four coins Brian. Either on his two tape set or on his DVD at the 4 F's.

Reed has some interesting material on the subject as well.

Were you wanting it off the table, or does it matter?
Brian,

My Totem routine is a very simple and straight forward production of three or four coins (depending on your preference). It uses a "maigical totem coin that makes silver coins appear" premise. In its pure form it uses no gaffs, but can be easily modified to incorporate several different gaffs if desired.

It's on my manuscript if you're interested.

Also, I was just watching Sankey's Rev Coin Magic for the 20th or so time the other night, Jay's Black Stack production is a pretty interesting and unique method to produce any number of coins.

Best,
Mike
Thanks guys,

James...in the hands would be preferable. I must get the Stone tapes as I've heard nothing but good news about them. It would be great if I could show both hands empty ala steal of some sort, and then start start to produce one at a time.

Mike....Totem sounds interesting, thanks. I had forgotton about the principle behind the Sankey production, but I think I would prefer the coins as clean as possible without switching anything out. I may go into a coin box routine shortly afterwards. I may PM you about Totem.

Thanks,
Brian
There is much to be learned from the earlier and basic books on the subject of coin magic. [i]Routines Manipulation, Art of Magic, Modern Coin Manipulation, Modern Coin Magic[/i]... even the Robert-Houdin book.

The use of coin droppers and coin dumpers is just so basic to the craft that it might help to spend a few days reading the basics and looking through catalogs for available options.

Does anyone use the gimmick on the hat brim from [i]Modern Coin Manipulation[/i] or the nice candle thing from the Robert-Houdin memoirs book? So many goodies right there waiting for the student.
Brian,

David Stone has some nice theories about that on the 4 F's DVD. Definitely gives you some ideas about what you are looking for.

Jon,

Out of all of those books you mentioned, I have one of them, I must really look into updating my libary.
Brian,

I recently taught an easy four coin production at an local IBM ring workshop that seems to fit what you are asking for.

Check your PM for the work.
Hello Brian! I can second Mr. Townsend's post about the classic books. There is so much in those books just waiting to be rediscovered!

The David Stone stuff is also great. One of my personal favorites is a variation of Shoot Ogawa's "Fore Coins" from [i]Cutural XChange 1[/i]. This production is also very similar to Ammar's "Sonic Squeeze" (see below). I love the fact that it uses the spectator's hand.

Michael Ammar's "Sonic Squeeze" from many of his videos and in his book (it's under the name "Multiple Coin Production" on page 251) is great and invites variation. Jay Sankey's "Slick Splits" uses a similar move to accomplish the effect of splitting the coins.

Reed McClintock has some great, and as always, very elegant work on this as well. See his "4 CoPro" and "Super 4 CoPro" (I think those are the correct names) in the [i]Knuckle Busters[/i] series or one one of the [i]Palms of Steel[/i] DVDs (I think it is on "Silverado").

If it's O.K. too for you to use cards, that opens many new doors as well. Paul Harris' "Silver Slide" is very nice and is surprising. Earl Nelson has a couple nice versions of this as well (see "4 the Easy Way" and "4 the Hard Way" from [i]Variations[/i]). Dan Fleshman's "Rollover Half Dollars" is stunning. It is a very clean production of four coins from a single playing card. It is on one of his older tapes as well as the new L&L DVDs. There are so many versions of this effect (card/coin productions) that you couldn't spit in a magic shop without hitting a book with a variation of this in it.

Hope this helps! If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
Thank you everyone!!

B.
I would definitely say that my favorite four coin production would be Reed's 4 Co Pro and Super 4 Co Pro. Super 4 Co Pro does use a gaff but it's definitely worth looking into.

-Bill
Touch of Midas from Bobo's is worth looking at.

It also teaches a useful skill, which would be handy in other routines.

Harris
Kainoa Harbottle's "Rolling Stone" is a variation of David Stone's "Never 2 without...4". You can find it in [i]Cointopia[/i] as well as his eight coin production routine "Wolverine". I suggest you get both [i]Coins on Edge[/i] and [i]Cointopia[/i].

Alain Nu has a routine called "That old Coin Trick" on his video [i]Close-up Sketches[/i] can also be found in John Bannon's wonderful book [i]Impossibilia[/i] under a different title.

Jay Sankey has many variation on the four coin production "Cartesian Coins" from his R. Coin video/DVD or you can find it on [i]Sankey-tized[/i], Richards [i]Almanac[/i], probably of his lecture notes, also on [i]Jay Sankey, Again[/i], a very old video he has his "Bread and Butter Production". I know he has others but I can't think of right now.

You also might want to look at Barry Taylor's video [i]Shell Shocked[/i], he has a production of five coins called "Illusionation".

Best
Joe
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jun 2, 2004 08:26PM)
Check out Paul Wilson's [i]Knock 'em Dead[/i] video. He does a simple production of three coins. I've done this and gotten huge reaction from lay people, much to MY AMAZEMENT because it's so darn simple. All productions from the finger palm.
Tom Osborn's Passing the Buck from Bobo's is excellent! However, prepare to practice!

Mike
Thank you so much everyone, you have given me so much to look at and research.

Brian
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jun 3, 2004 12:43AM)
Try Bologna Debut, from my [i]Knockout Coin Magic[/i] DVD.
Bob Fitch has also an interesting four coin production, very simple, just by caressing his hands.
That reminds me, Bob Fitch also had a great four coin production in [i]Apocalypse[/i] (forget which year and issue) called circles...this is well worth looking up!

Mike
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info...wow...I'm going to print this list and look for all these great suggestions!! My teacher has always said, before you do a trick make sure you produce the coins magically first. Thanks for all the options.

Regards,
Brian
Jerry Andrus's Miser's Miracle, single booklet.

Paul Harris Silver and Aces from his first book [i]The Magic of Paul Harris[/i], published by Jerry Mentzer of Magic Methods. His Giant Killer Coin routine is great also. As a matter of fact, most of the material in this little known book is great working stuff.

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com

Tannen sold a deck that produced four halves under for cards.
Go back to Bobo, and you'll find a coin production by Howie Schwartzman that is just beautiful. Name? Thumbtax, if I recall correctly. I have been doing this production since 1967, and it is as devastating today as it was then. Magicians that see it, almost to a man, ask me, "what the heck was that?!" and are astonished to hear that they have it on thier bookshelf at home!

Also, "A Touch of Midas, from the same source, and previously mentioned in this thread, is wonderful. It is my second of four methods for multiple coin production close-up. The other two are unpublished, one of my own, and another from a Japanese performer who taught it to me in San Francisco in 1978. I have tried to contact him for permission to include it in any book I may do, and if I hear back positively I'll be happy to post the method in the Banquet Room here - it is a great production.

It looks like this: You display an empty right hand, reach out and "grab" a silver dollar from the air. Display it on the open right hand, toss it to the left hand and it becomes two. Immediately toss the two to your right hand and they become three, toss back to the left and there are four!

This is amazingly open, no gaffs, no back clips, the coins just seem to visually multiply! Here's hoping I can post details...

Best, PSC
Jerry Andrus has another coin production called the Ace-2-3-4 trick. It's on his video series.

K.C. Ushijima
The first time I met Jerry was at a PCAM convention. Steve Dobson called him over to show me "something". Steve told him I was a "coin guy" and he proceeded to show me the Ace-2-34 trick.

I was thinking "Great... another twisting the aces thing..." when those silver dollars popped into existance right before my eyes. I almost soiled myself.
My favorite four coin production is David Stone's "I want you".
You can find some fantastic four coin production in his tape.
Good luck!
I use Paul Harris's Silver Slide all of the time. It uses four cards and four coins. Very powerful to any audience.

I also like Chad Long's Coins From Purse from one of his videos. It's a variation on Dan Fleshman's Rollover Half Dollars. Very quick and visual.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Here's a very natural looking 5 coin production I came up with.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=72115&forum=3&12
[quote]
On 2004-06-04 19:01, wmhegbli wrote:
Jerry Andrus's Miser's Miracle, single booklet.
[/quote]

A great way of producingthree or four coins from torn cards this is worth a look I have been playing with it for a while
Henry Evans has a couple of 4 coin prod in his dvd.
Michael Ammar has one called Sonic Squeeze.