(Close Window)
Topic: Amalgam - New Magic App
[b]Amalgam[/b]: A curated collection of professional effects, released together in seasons.

[b][url=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271?ls=1]Click here to get Amalgam on the App Store.[/url][/b]

[youtube]iX1YDxqhM2Y[/youtube]

All effects are chosen to be powerful, yet self-contained (meaning no external devices are required), whilst remaining easy to perform. Many of the tricks even work completely offline, making it perfect for events without WiFi or internet access.

Season one of Amalgam brings:

* [b]Streets[/b] *
Streets is finally back!
John Archer has given his exclusive permission for this remake of his popular Streets app, which now incorporates new features including a modernised real map and a new "gyro crib".

- Divine where in the world your spectator is thinking of!
- A book test with no memory work required.
- A new "legitimate mode" which supports all languages.

* [b]TimedOut[/b] *
A customisable prediction effect that's all in your spectator's hands. Predict a number, dice roll, ESP symbol, star sign or more.

- Prediction can be an image in your Photos or perhaps a drawing.
- After making your prediction, you do not touch the phone again.
- No Internet or Bluetooth required: nothing is sent to or from the device.
- Your spectator checks the prediction themselves: the phone remains in their hands!
- No voice recognition!
- Perfect for pairing with other electronic mentalism effects: reveal a photo from two days ago of you predicting their dice roll, which even they don't know yet!

* [b]Watch[/b] *
A revelation of a freely chosen time. Your spectator zooms in to a wristwatch in a photograph to find it's set to the time they just named.

- Customisable: use your own photo.
- Any time can be named to the minute.
- Novel input method: no voice recognition.
- No Internet or Bluetooth required: nothing is sent to or from the device.

* [b]Wordsearch[/b] *
Seemingly demonstrate superhuman memory abilities with this word search game from Harry De Cruz. Although you only look at the word search for a couple of seconds, you can reveal the positions and directions of all words hiding within.

- Method keeps memory work to a minimum: if you know the alphabet, you can perform this effect.
- No need to secretly obtain information during the effect.
- Phone remains in the spectator's hands.
- And again, no Internet or Bluetooth required: nothing is sent to or from the device.

Amalgam includes text and video instructions as well as various settings. It even includes a filtered discussion section for user-submitted tips and routines (handy for those who aren't on Facebook).

Introductory price: just £54.99 / $59.99
This one-off price will get you all four effects in Amalgam's Season One forever.

It's an introductory price - the price will be going up soon, and it won't be this low again.

[b]App Store link[/b]:
[b][url=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271?ls=1]Click here to get Amalgam on the App Store.[/url][/b]

Thanks!
Question: when the season changes do we lose these tricks and get new ones?
[quote]On Mar 20, 2020, Yepski wrote:
Question: when the season changes do we lose these tricks and get new ones? [/quote]

Nope! Youíll keep the effects in each season you pay for forever.
Thatís fun, I really like this model
Is it only available in English? I mean, could any trick be used in another language? Is there any Premium option? Can we use apple watch as a p**k method?
Where do I pay for them ? There doesnít seem to be a price on the app on the App Store
Never mind just opened the instructions and the price popped up
Thanks
[quote]On Mar 21, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
Thanks [/quote]

Nope...I never opened any instructions... :rotf:
Got it and can assure you that Streets is worth the price of the entire bundle alone. Also really enjoying Wordsearch! This is a great purchase, practical effects that pack a punch are customisable in so many ways.
Message: Posted by: The_Mediocre_Gatsby (Mar 21, 2020 10:48AM)
This is amazing. I have only played with this for a few minutes and the legitimate mode for Streets is unbelievable. Marc has done it again. One of the few creators I will trust sight unseen.
[quote]On Mar 21, 2020, NeverMind wrote:
[quote]On Mar 21, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
Thanks [/quote]

Nope...I never opened any instructions... :rotf: [/quote]
👏👌
Message: Posted by: The_Mediocre_Gatsby (Mar 21, 2020 12:13PM)
Right, so I've been playing with this now for the last few hours. This is the best thing Marc has put out which is high praise indeed. I can't wait to create presentations for all 4 of these tools. Thanks Marc.
Does "Streets" use a London street map? Or?

Thanks!
Jerry
[quote]On Mar 21, 2020, jerdunn wrote:

Thanks!
Jerry [/quote]

Indeed it does.
[quote]On Mar 21, 2020, jerdunn wrote:

Thanks!
Jerry [/quote]

There are two modes. One currently supports anywhere in the world where English street names would be appropriate.
The other mode supports anywhere in the world, in any language.
Both are not just London street maps!
Here's how it looks in LA, California for example:

[img]https://p39.f2.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/04uKdqNN/IMG_4945.PNG[/img]
Simply the BEST! Marc has taken streets and made it into a surgical weapon! The fact that you may use legitimate maps is INSANE! I never thought I would like word search, but it is devious and genius. The prediction app is killer too. I love this app. Worth every penny!

I love the fact that the map effect even reveals the thought of city!
I am not familiar with John Archers Streets app, but do you give your phone to the spectator to perform this effect?
I saw Marcs name attached to this and ordered it before even looking to see what it was.
That kind of customer trust is a rare thing :)
Any demo videos up yet?
I am especially interested in the watch effect.
But they all sound very good.
Would love to buy it but nearly 60 quid in this present situation??
Good that some of you still can afford it
Iíd like to see the instructions expanded and some performances (even in-studio walk through).
But, I like It a lot. It has some unique features.
I just started messing with it and am still familiarizing myself though.
Looking forward to hearing other impressions
[quote]On Mar 22, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
Good that some of you still can afford it [/quote]

Agreed. Magic purchases of any shape and form should be roughly positioned 1000 on your Ďmust haveí priority list at this time of uncertainty.
I have got the app and will do a review soon

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
[quote]On Mar 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On Mar 22, 2020, cardbiker wrote:
Good that some of you still can afford it [/quote]

Agreed. Magic purchases of any shape and form should be roughly positioned 1000 on your Ďmust haveí priority list at this time of uncertainty. [/quote]

Yes, or at least definitely behind toilet paper when youíre on your last roll.
For any users of Amalgam - do update the app via the App Store. Iíve released two new versions over the last few days with some small fixes.

Thanks!
Thanks
Hi all,

I have uploaded a review about Amalgam. I will talk about all I like and dislike about the app. After watching, you should have a pretty good idea whether the app suits your needs.

Hope this is helpful.

[youtube]IROgEUky4pE[/youtube]

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Hi Marc,
Are any of these effects performed using the participant's device rather than the performer's (like your previous fantastic realises)?
Season's greetings,
Adrian
Message: Posted by: The_Mediocre_Gatsby (Mar 26, 2020 07:46AM)
No
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, Adrian King wrote:
Hi Marc,
Are any of these effects performed using the participant's device rather than the performer's (like your previous fantastic realises)?
Season's greetings,
Adrian [/quote]

Just a small info to those who have bought Marcís recent apps like WiliTest or EarWorm.
The power level of Amalgam is different. Itís not as strong as the apps above (except Streets maybe)

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Hi Marc,
Season's greetings,
Adrian [/quote]

Hi Adrian,
Not yet - they might do soon, but for now they're on the performers phone.
But often justifiably so. In two effects, you're showing the spectator an album or perhaps a photo that [i]you've[/i] taken, which therefore makes sense to be on [i]your[/i] phone.

In considering this for the Streets effect, I figured that most people use maps on their phone in an app but not on the web. Getting your spectator to go to some slightly dodgy website URL to use a map feels a little less fair than using it in an app, be it on your phone or theirs, and is therefore worse.

A nice side-effect about Amalgam too is that most effects can be used offline without an Internet connection. And so, if you want to perform an effect remotely over the phone, WikiTest would be great.
Whereas, if you want to perform phone magic in a venue with no Internet access, Amalgam would work perfectly.
My review here :)

https://youtu.be/Q3ICJpWQjYs
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, magicmarcuk wrote:
Hi Marc,
Season's greetings,
Adrian [/quote]

Hi Adrian,
Not yet - they might do soon, but for now they're on the performers phone.
But often justifiably so. In two effects, you're showing the spectator an album or perhaps a photo that [i]you've[/i] taken, which therefore makes sense to be on [i]your[/i] phone.

In considering this for the Streets effect, I figured that most people use maps on their phone in an app but not on the web. Getting your spectator to go to some slightly dodgy website URL to use a map feels a little less fair than using it in an app, be it on your phone or theirs, and is therefore worse.

A nice side-effect about Amalgam too is that most effects can be used offline without an Internet connection. And so, if you want to perform an effect remotely over the phone, WikiTest would be great.
Whereas, if you want to perform phone magic in a venue with no Internet access, Amalgam would work perfectly. [/quote]
Thank you for the clarification.
Alex you review was fantastic and complete as always, thx!
Marc, any chance of expanded instructions? Performance clips, even in studio, would be helpful if possible.
Iím already a fan of Streets
Iím not sure where I stand on the time input method though.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, 252life wrote:
Marc, any chance of expanded instructions? [/quote]

I'm interested, do you feel you cannot perform the tricks after reading the instructions? You find them not sufficient to learn how to do the effects?
[quote]On Mar 27, 2020, AngryGuy wrote:

I'm interested, do you feel you cannot perform the tricks after reading the instructions? You find them not sufficient to learn how to do the effects? [/quote]

From my perspective, the instruction is enough but there is no scripted presentation or routine. For at least 2 tricks, strong presentation is needed or you may find the effects not as impressive as you may have imagined in live performance. You can watch my review for more info if you are interested.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
[quote]On Mar 26, 2020, AngryGuy wrote:

I'm interested, do you feel you cannot perform the tricks after reading the instructions? You find them not sufficient to learn how to do the effects? [/quote]

The instructions give you the bare bones workings. I would just like to see more examples of the input method mainly.
This app has a few unique qualities and, if possible Iíd like beefier instructions.
Please donít get me wrong, they do the job. Thereís just a few points Iíd like more on.
For instance, is there a way to correct a mistake during the time input? Youíre working blind and by feel with no way to confirm the accuracy until the reveal.
....I think.. which is my point kinda.
I love the options provided with Streets. I like the option that opens up a drawing dupe as well.(Andyís from the Jerx..?)
My small issues here are probably mostly due to me being slow with tech/apps in general.
The difference being I wouldnít mind paying Marc the extra $$ lol.
Gregís gotten me for an extra $120 total for clear (er) instructions.
And they arenít exactly succinct or organized tbh. But!... Iíll take what I can get for better understanding
Amalgam v1.1 is out now as a free update, bringing the following additions and changes:

Streets:
- Gyro crib display once setting.
- UI additions.
- API fixes.

Watch:
- Font setting added
- Colour setting added.
- Swipe up with three fingers to reset.

Wordsearch:
- Now retains highlighted words.
- Displays what letters are being dragged.
- Words are now removed from list when highlighted.
- Gives "Congratulations" message on completion.
- Added confetti.
[quote]On Mar 28, 2020, magicmarcuk wrote:
Amalgam v1.1 is out now as a free update, bringing the following additions and changes:

Streets:
- Gyro crib display once setting.
- UI additions.
- API fixes.

Watch:
- Font setting added
- Colour setting added.
- Swipe up with three fingers to reset.

Wordsearch:
- Now retains highlighted words.
- Displays what letters are being dragged.
- Words are now removed from list when highlighted.
- Gives "Congratulations" message on completion.
- Added confetti. [/quote]

Thanks for the update.

By the way, the confetti only appears for the first highlighted word. It is not shown for subsequent words.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
Hey Alex. It does - but it currently disappears when you start highlighting the Wordsearch again.
Thank you Marc for the update.

G Ro
Just to let you all know, the price of [b]Amalgam's Season One[/b] will be going up in one week, meaning the current price is the lowest price it will ever be.

As a reminder, for a one-off price, you'll get four brand new, powerful magic app effects: [b]Streets[/b], [b]TimedOut[/b], [b]Watch[/b] and [b]Wordsearch[/b].

[url=http://apps.apple.com/us/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271?ls=1][b]Get Amalgam from the App Store here[/b][/url].

Note: The app is free on the App Store - you purchase the effects within the app itself.

Thanks
My thanks to Rooster for his very kind review:

[youtube]Q3ICJpWQjYs[/youtube]

I've also since released two versions - the latest version of Amalgam is 1.1.2
As a reminder, the app is free on the App Store. Should you wish to purchase the effects in Season One, youíll do so in the app.
Great review, are these apps available in french? Mostly the streets and wordsearch app.

Is the map Google our iOS'?

Thanks
[quote]On Apr 8, 2020, Ypnoze wrote:
Great review, are these apps available in french? Mostly the streets and wordsearch app.

Is the map Google our iOS'?

Thanks [/quote]

Streets has two modes, the more advanced of which will work in any language (including French).
TimedOut works in all languages, as does the Watch effect.
Wordsearch works only in English for now, but I plan to add support for more languages in a future update some time.

And the Streets' map is modelled off of Apple Maps rather than Google. Given it's your map, it shouldn't matter too much as it's whatever app you usually use rather than your spectator.

Thanks.
I have streets the book version by John Archer who I saw perform his show in Borden on March 13. I only mentioned this out of nostalgia as it may be the last I see this year. I have had two other conventions cancelled
Anyway back on track. The streets version on this is App is excellent.
I start out by saying that I learnt all the London street names and produce the book version. Afterwards, I mention the fact that Iím now working on learning all the world streets names during the lockdown. They are amazed I know the countries so to zoom on to a street raises me up to genius status.
Iím hoping that this alone will keep me out of the care home later on when they want to do a memory test.
The only small issue is in watch I can get the hour Set no problem but struggle with the other two missing them by a couple of minutes. It could be me needing to practice more or more likely because I have the smaller iPhone screen with chunky hands. In Summery very happy and a good buy.
Can you purchase these apps individually? I only want two.
[quote]On May 3, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Can you purchase these apps individually? I only want two. [/quote]

It's all one app.
[quote]On May 4, 2020, Mac_Stone wrote:
[quote]On May 3, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Can you purchase these apps individually? I only want two. [/quote]

It's all one app. [/quote]

Within the app I mean.
Nope - it's all or nothing

Ed
However Streets is worth the price on its own.

Mark
Iíd love to have additional info, or say a demo of that particular effect.
[quote]On May 4, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Iíd love to have additional info, or say a demo of that particular effect. [/quote]

Happy to help with any additional info outside the scope of this thread or the App Store description.
Of course, I'd love to film a demo video of all effects but haven't been able to get out to do so just yet, sadly..!
PM sent Marc.
Tried the 'watch' effect on a zoom call today. Just fantastic.
Perfect clean prediction effect you can do and then screen shot to send them the image after!
[quote]On May 8, 2020, tomelderfield wrote:
Tried the 'watch' effect on a zoom call today. Just fantastic.
Perfect clean prediction effect you can do and then screen shot to send them the image after! [/quote]

Thanks!
Grabbed this today and Streets is so good!
Watch effect takes a bit of practice but this is a must buy if you like app magic.
I canít seem to get the knack of Watch down well enough and keep losing patience with it.
But thatís a me problem:) This is a great and unique app that Iím looking forward to using more.
Season Two of my Amalgam app (including four brand new effects!) is in the works and will hopefully be out soon.

In the meantime, Season One (which includes the Streets book test app, TimedOut - my multiple out prediction app, an effect where you reveal a prediction of a time on a photo of you wearing your watch, and Harry De Cruz' Word Search app) is briefly on sale.

[url=https://geo.itunes.apple.com/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271?ls=1&mt=8][b]Click here to get Amalgam on the App Store.[/b][/url]

Amalgam is a [i]lot[/i] of work - with each season, I release four apps together as one. But out of all of my apps so far, I'm probably most proud of Amalgam.
I hope you like it!
Canít wait :)
Amalgam's Season Two is out now, and brings four brand new effects: Inertia, OneStopShop, ChoiceMail and Amped.

It's currently on a limited time release sale.
It's available here:
[url=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271][b]Amalgam - Season Two[/b][/url]

As this release brings four brand new effects, thereís more info here:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=721058&forum=218

Thanks!
Hey guys,

This weekend I spoke to Marc and decided to make a video deep dive focussing on each of these effects from Amalgam, one by one in separate videos. Here's the first one in the series focussing on Streets

[youtube]pbIZvbY3oS4[/youtube]

Enjoy :)
[b]Amalgam 2.1.2 is on its way to the App Store[/b].

It brings:

Support for [b]Kinetic Mental Dice[/b] for [b]TimedOut[/b], [b]Watch[/b] and [b]OneStopShop[/b].
- One handed set force location volume button method for [b]Inertia[/b].
- [b]Load settings[/b] for common mobile web apps in Inertia.
- UI fixes across the app.

Here are a few examples of just some of the things which are now possible when [b]Amalgam[/b] is paired with [b]Kinetic Mental Dice[/b]:

[b]Watch[/b] - A random dice roll predicts the exact time displayed on your watch in a photo.
- Show your spectator a photo of yourself. Have the spectator roll three dice and create a time out of them (For - example, rolling a 5, 1, 3 would be 5:13).
- They zoom in on the photo to see that the watch you're wearing shows 5:13.

[b]OneStopShop[/b] - Perform OneStopShop without ever knowing the selected number.
- Hand your spectator a face up deck of cards.
- Let your spectator scroll through an online playing card store and see multiple different playing card designs.
- They roll a die, and scroll through once more, remembering whichever item comes up at their selected number.
- Your spectator turns over the deck of cards to reveal it's the same as the chosen deck.

[b]TimedOut[/b] - Predict a dice roll days in advance.
- Show your iPhone on the home screen, and place it face down.
- Have the spectator decide on a number of a die.
- They turn over the phone and open your photos to find a photo that you took yesterday of a die on the same number.

Amalgam 2.1.2 is a free update for all Amalgam users who are running iOS 14 or later.

[url=https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amalgam-by-marc-kerstein/id1497474271?ls=1]Update as usual via the App Store [b]here[/b][/url].

[img]https://p39.f2.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/Jru1oXYB/c79066b1-5ef3-475b-8727-3b1fed0fd62f.jpg[/img]