(Close Window)
Topic: IMPOSSIBLE by Hank & Himitsu Magic
Direct with many opportunities for amazing magic to happen. The ending seems completely IMPOSSIBLE! Watch the trailer to see what top names in the industry are saying about this.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=66304

Best regards,
Titanas
Got to say I was impressed by the demo. It looked astronomically fair to me. Any body have this yet?

Dean.
How is this different than David Humphrey's jazz Mentalism, or any of the other myriad of ESP matching effects, like Jan Foster's ESPissimo? Both terrific BTW.
That certainly looks impossible! Missed this one in Blackpool. Although available for pre order from Murphys Magic!
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Titanas wrote:
. The ending seems completely IMPOSSIBLE! [/quote]
Actually the ending was the only part that seemed a little weak to me. The beginning fooled me completely though. IF thatís a fair demo of a normal performance and not some best-case tomfoolery, this looks great.
One word describes it and only ONE word!
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
How is this different than David Humphrey's jazz Mentalism, or any of the other myriad of ESP matching effects, like Jan Foster's ESPissimo? Both terrific BTW. [/quote]

My thoughts exactly. How could Mark Elsdon be so hung ho about this, as a mentalist?
Jazz Mentalism is the best!
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, The_Spider wrote:
Got to say I was impressed by the demo. It looked astronomically fair to me. Any body have this yet?

Dean. [/quote]

pre order
I love this so-called feature:

3. Friends of all sizes can intuitively understand the color correspondence
The ad copy: 1. Can be shown to the audience repeatedly immediately, and the audience will feel more magical

If this is true, and each step of this can be repeated in the EXACT SAME WAY as the first time, then I'll be impressed. But the phrase "...and the audience will feel more magical" has me worried that it can't.

But looking forward to the feedback from those who take the plunge!
Just watched the video with Xavier Spade and itís becoming a little clearer now. Judging by the subtle differences from the demo, it seems to be a very very clever use of multiple methods and thinking on your feet. Note that itís listed as ďintermediateĒ not beginner which kind of confirms my thinking. Nicely priced too.
ESPionage by Dave Humphrey and Charlie Frye.
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
ESPionage by Dave Humphrey and Charlie Frye. [/quote]
As I understand ESPionage (and other effects of that ilk) the five cards are only shown to match once they have all been placed down. Which is different to what is shown here. I have no doubt that the core method for ESPionage is one of the methods utilised in Impossible but it seems they are blending in other methods as well, making this seem much stronger (at least to a magician!)
Assuming that is an accurate demo and not a best case scenario.
Iím still fooled by subtleties like when the magician put HIS card down first... nice...
I like the look of this - and having used colours in divinatory ways as well as helping spectators visualise, I can see this being effective.

I'm going to be putting in an order.

Neil
Meh. The cards look tacky, the beginning feels like a fluke and the ending feels weak. What's so great about this?
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, AndrewI wrote:
Just watched the video with Xavier Spade and itís becoming a little clearer now.[/quote]

Link?
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, John C wrote:
One word describes it and only ONE word! [/quote]

Come on John, give us a clue? Does the first letter begin with S?
I think it is more likely to begin with 'O' but we will see.
For the price, I doubt you're getting anything clever.

Ten cards and a bunch of tips on how to improvise to get the result you want is my guess.
Thatís also what I initially thought but then they mention a gimmick. Unless the gimmick is the cards themselves...
The link where the trick is performed to Xavior Spade is at the Murphy's Magic original link. On the right there's a "review" quote where you can see it.

It certainly looks like a clever marking system and attractive cards, mixed with several principles.

[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Phatmeat wrote:
[quote]On Apr 17, 2020, AndrewI wrote:
Just watched the video with Xavier Spade and itís becoming a little clearer now.[/quote]

Link? [/quote]
I love point 5 on Murphy's ad copy.

"5. Absolute combat"
Yes it's jazz mentalism just like in Jazz mentalism, Rhine's Revenge, ESPissimo, ESPionage, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Spw4NXpDY&feature=youtu.be&t=270
Clever use of multiple methods in play...
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, JBD wrote:
Clever use of multiple methods in play... [/quote]

It is also very reasonably priced.
Looking forward to see reviews on this. The price is really good!
Himitsu sell a few excellent effects and are normally keenly priced. Customer support has also been very good!
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 18, 2020 11:25AM)
From the ad: "The performance must have been broken a thousand times." :lol: (BTW I'm NOT blaming the creator, this is Murphy's responsability)
I am not saying this is the case with the effect Impossible. Although I have been burned with other trailers making an effect look more than it is!
If you already know jazz Mentalism, you may have had the idea of using cards with colors instead of ESP symbols . . . for instance, drawing circles with colored pencils on the back of your m****d business cards?

Or using two sets of matching postcards from around the world.

Or photographs of whatever.

Etc.

What you're getting with Impossible is a pre-made set with (I'd guess) easy to read back m****ngs.
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Recoplon wrote:

[b]It certainly looks like a clever marking system[/b] and attractive cards, mixed with several principles.
[/quote]

[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, jerdunn wrote:

What you're getting with Impossible is a pre-made set [b]with (I'd guess) easy to read back m****ngs.[/b] [/quote]

The demo vid might lure you, but [b]IMO[/b] it uses the age old marked cards. Nothing new IMO.

:xmas:
No. Nothing new here. Nothing more than Jazz Mentalism. And the quality of the cards is not as good as I expected. It's nothing like USPCC finish. But still I think I will use it because color cards for EPS effects are more suitable for some occasions.
I agree this has all the hallmarks of Jazz Mentalism but I am hoping some new nuances will have been added.

What I like about this is that I have found using colours in routines to be very effective. Also, given that the cards are likely to be marked, they can also be used in other divinatory effects and not just the one shown. This is why I think these cards and effect could be an attractive as well as reasonably priced proposition.

Neil
Hi, Neil. I agree with you. Cards can be used for other effects than matching. The marking is not groundbreaking but subtle enogh and still easy to read. Colors are vivid.
Is there any photo somewhere that shows the back of the cards?
While the price is ok, there is nothing new here and there are many better effects for around the same money, or a little bit more. The market is flooded with this type of effect it's all about spending money on a wow factor, that does what it says and is so straight forward simple and effective, now that magic is always worth waiting for !!! :magician:
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Ross W wrote:
For the price, I doubt you're getting anything clever.

Ten cards and a bunch of tips on how to improvise to get the result you want is my guess. [/quote]

All Correct
:dice:
4 years ago, I designed and manufactured (through an actual playing card company) my own deck of coloured cards which replaces an ESP deck (5 colours, with 5 of each) titled the "GROBY (Green,Red, Orange, Blue, Yellow) Deck" - a name suggested to me by Tom Cutts. They are quite attractive and created quite a stir when I posted pics of them on my FB page; you can view them there. The cards feature a very subtle one-way back design and are also marked. They are also quite eye-popping. Interest in my deck has renewed again recently and it looks as though I may attempt a crowdfunder to produce a larger run of these to accommodate the demand.

This second run of the deck will likely be 100% plastic playing card stock so that they will last a lifetime. These will come with a hinged plastic case to house the cards and will include two decks inside - including a few matching standard gaffs.
I'm definitely interested in your cards Sudo, I'll keep an eye out!
I am, too. Very much inerested.
Me too
Count me in too.
Same here, I'd be in on that. Sounds like a great idea.
Save your money. Absolutely nothing new here. Identical method to ESPionage and some of the other effects mentioned. Demo was an ideal scenario. It always works but wonít play out like the demo often. You will need to jazz as others have mentioned. Cards are not air cushion finished so they donít spread well. I think the necessary dirty work on the cards is well disguised and will never be noticed but could have been clearer in my opinion. Given that there is nothing new here, Iím surprised it got picked up and hyped like it did.
Iíd love to see what top names in the industry are saying about this. :rotf:
I have yet to see or handle the cards but I don't think they should be dismissed.

While virtually all of us thought this was Jazz Mentalism (nothing new here) it is definitely possible to use these cards in other ways and routines. One of my most favourite effects is a colour revelation because colours have psychological significance and can also be used as a springboard to other effects (Think and thank Michael Murray here.)

Another value of the cards is that they are marked which also opens up many other possibilities.

As far as handling is concerned, it is not necessarily a bad thing that that they are not smooth. This gets away from them being a magic prop. (The superb cards produced by Paralabs are deliberately designed so they do not handle slickly, look more authentic and in keeping with experimental testing.) Should you wish, you could always add fanning powder to the cards.

Neil
Penguin just posted a review, and it's only one star.
Reviews are just subjective unless the trick itself is just plain bad. Some like it, some don't. Likes are irrelevant. There have been many releases here on the Cafť that were brilliant but some in the community feel it necessary to be negative. Don't trash a trick over likes.

Best

Steve
[quote]On Apr 29, 2020, Steven Conner wrote:
Reviews are just subjective unless the trick itself is just plain bad. Some like it, some don't. Likes are irrelevant. There have been many releases here on the Cafť that were brilliant but some in the community feel it necessary to be negative. Don't trash a trick over likes.

Best

Steve [/quote]
Read the review. Itís not a casual matter of like or dislike at all.
This review specifically addressed the quality of the cards which is what many are interested in.
Https://www.penguinmagic.com/reviewcomments.php?rid=123208
The Penguin review says

First, the paper stock upon which they are printed is flimsy, cheep card stock. Cards from the Dollar Store have better quality. With a few spectator handlings, they are sure to become bent, creased & stained. The cards right out of the envelope will not separate or fan. They stick together in one unmanageable block.

The add copy says, "Delicate waterproof gimmick"

Mine feel like paper ... waterproof implies plastic or coated.... what do you suppose "delicate" means?
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, AndrewI wrote:

Best

Steve [/quote]
Read the review. Itís not a casual matter of like or dislike at all. [/quote]

I have read the review. First, I have Impossible and the cards are excellent. They are not flimsy in any way. They are better than just Ok quality. Mine spread without issue. If you want them slick like a card, put a little powder on them. I use them as is with no complaints.

Best

Steve
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, Steven Conner wrote:
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, AndrewI wrote:

Best

Steve [/quote]
Read the review. Itís not a casual matter of like or dislike at all. [/quote]

I have read the review. First, I have Impossible and the cards are excellent. They are not flimsy in any way. They are better than just Ok quality. Mine spread without issue. If you want them slick like a card, put a little powder on them. I use them as is with no complaints.

Best

Steve [/quote]

Thanks for that, Steve. I was put off from that review, but have ordered based on your comments.
I've asked some other people who got it "recently" and apparently the first wave of cards were paper and the second wave (after Murphy's) were plastic
My cards are definitely not plastic. They are cheap dollar store quality. That is the lesser of the two issues IMO. The bigger issue is that this is a blatant rip off other than switching the cards from esp cards to colors.

Oh, and I ordered mine after Murphy's released them. Got them from Hocus Pocus. So I'll be less than thrilled if I find out that there are plastic cards now being released since I just got mine two weeks ago.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
My cards are definitely not plastic. They are cheap dollar store quality. That is the lesser of the two issues IMO. The bigger issue is that this is a blatant rip off other than switching the cards from esp cards to colors.

Oh, and I ordered mine after Murphy's released them. Got them from Hocus Pocus. So I'll be less than thrilled if I find out that there are plastic cards now being released since I just got mine two weeks ago. [/quote]

Hey Eric, got mine from Vanishing Inc. As far as a RIP-off, Magic has gotten a lot like music. There are so many arrangements but very few are better than the original. Personally I like it and the routine. We use to protect our Art better.

Best

Steve
I just received this today. To say I am unhappy with this entire product is an understatement. Cannot elaborate more just yet.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 29, 2020 01:23AM)
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, Steven Conner wrote:

Best

Steve [/quote]

So... you could have just told us you have it instead of going all moralistic on reviews. Why the preaching? Reviews are extremely important. Itís why everybody asks for them. Itís one of the main reasons this forum even exists. You know that. Magicians helping magicians by telling it like it is. No need to be condescending about reviews or people studying them, Steve. And for the record ...your review (because that s what it is) seems to be just about the only positive one.
[quote]On Apr 18, 2020, Dreda wrote:
Yes it's jazz mentalism just like in Jazz mentalism, Rhine's Revenge, ESPissimo, ESPionage, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Spw4NXpDY&feature=youtu.be&t=270 [/quote]

That was really less than impressive.
OK!

The effect may be a little transparent when you see the YouTube video!

I suppose for the smaller amount being asked for this effect, you are getting some m*****d cards.

Bit of nerve and fast talking is the key to this one!
:rotf:
While I generally hate ESP card effects, if you like this plot, pick up ESPionage from Cardshark for $20. Cards are fantastic. Their parlor size stock and the m**** are fantastic. Top quality all around.
Or Perfect ESP, a free download on Alakazam as of yesterday.
I received mine. I really like the concept but the cards are poor. Can easily be adapted to use any cards
[quote]On Apr 28, 2020, dooblehorn wrote:
I just received this today. To say I am unhappy with this entire product is an understatement. Cannot elaborate more just yet. [/quote]
This one actually made me a bit angry when I got it. Between the poor quality, and the HORRIBLE tutorial, I asked for a refund.
If I could give it zero stars I would, Pure junk.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 30, 2020 02:46AM)
I'm sorry to hear that. I had my share of that and it's always really annoying when it happens. Thanks for letting us know, though.
This is really disappointing. I had high hopes for this, especially as the blurb stated that a lot of effort had been spent creating the effect (quote ' ... I spent two years delving into this process...) and it seems to offer nothing new added to which the quality of the cards is poor.

A big let down and this release (and others of its ilk) makes buyers even more cautious. Bad for business, bad for the reputation of Himitsu Magic and bad for buyers.

This effect and use of marked colour cards could have had so much potential.

Methinks a wasted opportunity.

Neil
[quote]On Apr 30, 2020, NeilS wrote:

[/quote]

I completely agree with this.
Received it today and I'm missing one of the cards...

The tutorial is also not great, between that and watching the tutorial for Deal or Not Deal I nearly went mad this morning
[quote]On Apr 30, 2020, NeilS wrote:
This is really disappointing. I had high hopes for this, especially as the blurb stated that a lot of effort had been spent creating the effect (quote ' ... I spent two years delving into this process...) and it seems to offer nothing new added to which the quality of the cards is poor.

A big let down and this release (and others of its ilk) makes buyers even more cautious. Bad for business, bad for the reputation of Himitsu Magic and bad for buyers.

Methinks a wasted opportunity.

Neil [/quote]

Yes, I'll certainly avoid any products by Himitsu Magic in the future
Thanks for the reviews, everyone. It sounds disappointing.
I have a set on the way. Can't be that bad, can it?
This is unfortunate. I was looking forward to this being released after I had seen it performed on a youtube video a while back. I have seen some people complaining that the cards are more of cardboard feel to them and others are saying they have moved to plastic. Can anyone who recently got this confirm this? Also, I know that the trailer shows the best possible outcome and after seeing some other reviews each time you do this trick it can be different. Would yall think this style trick would be better to do with some ESP cards? and play this off as some kind of spectator sixth sense effect?
IMO, colors seem to register immediately in someone's mind as opposed to ESP symbols. As laypeople are not familiar with wavy lines etc. and they are mono color.
Actually, I think the trailer DOES NOT show the best possible outcome.
Hey guys, want to share something that might clarify an issue. I have quite a few poker size cut cards which if you don't know are used in blackjack. They are straight from vegas many years ago and the colors are brilliant and the stock is a strong plastic. They certainly aren't slick. I added some simonize to them, made them slick. I find my purchased cards to be just as good as the ones I made. The only difference is my cut cards will last forever.

Best

Steve
[quote]On May 6, 2020, draupnir wrote:
This is unfortunate. I was looking forward to this being released after I had seen it performed on a youtube video a while back. I have seen some people complaining that the cards are more of cardboard feel to them and others are saying they have moved to plastic. Can anyone who recently got this confirm this? Also, I know that the trailer shows the best possible outcome and after seeing some other reviews each time you do this trick it can be different. Would yall think this style trick would be better to do with some ESP cards? and play this off as some kind of spectator sixth sense effect? [/quote]

Received my cards today. They are paper, and the only way they could be any harder to separate is if they were coated with rubber cement. This is garbage, and before anyone says, "oh, they were only $15," I would say "I've got a trashcan full of items just as useful. Would you like to buy them?"

Fanning powder? Lamination? Sure, but should we really have to do this for what we paid good money for?

I'm not certain that the cards in the shape they are received in were not modified in the demo. At the least this fact should have been mentioned.
I have this and concur with most comments. Anyone in the Uk able to help me with laminating the cards but not in that Ďlaminate is sexy, letís use it on everything Ď way. Something a tad more subtle.
L
If you don't like this version, check out Emojination by Ronjo Magic. It costs twice as much, but the cards are larger with brightly colored emojicons. Admittedly, it seems more oriented to kids, but. . .the effect plays just as well.
I just received this. The cards are not as bad as people say it is IMO.

However, the Tutorial could be much better. English is obviously not his first language and one may find it hard to understand the tutorial.
I have this and I am on the fence about tossing it in my sock/underwear drawer...the card quality is decent at best....Was nearly impossible to figure out the markings, but now that I know them and see them...there is no good way other than memorization of connecting the colors of the cards with their markings....So if anyone has this and likes it, what are your ideas...
[quote]On Jun 2, 2020, obsidian52 wrote:
...nearly impossible to figure out the markings... [/quote]

That's a good thing right?

There is no need to connect colors to the M****. You just need to match the M****.
First review on this PropDog video puts everything in a nutshell. Although he calls the cards "plastic," mine certainly feel like paper. But no matter, I've tossed them into the garbage can anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAvjxXN_q0&feature=youtu.be
It would seem that there is some inconsistent quality control with the cards as that are so many differing opinions re the finish/quality.
Sure they are not air cushioned, but mine spread & shuffle just fine right out of the envelope. Definitely not 'roughed'.
I have summarized my thoughts into this video review.
I also tried to show closeups of the cards.
https://youtu.be/E471ri_rheU
At a high level, if you already have an existing card matching routine these cards provide an alternative to ESP or standard playing cards. If matching colors works for you then this is a great product. I am planning on carrying this with me and pulling out in casual situations where someone wants to see a magic trick. It doesn't require a story about Zenner to introduce the cards.

The cards I received have a plastic/satin finish coating. I have seen this in a few other products. These cards will last forever (likely not dishwasher safe but they could be washed). They are not standard bicycle air cushioned stock. Probably not good for spreading, but I can't think of a routine with these cards where you would want to do a card fan?

Yes, the demo does show the best case scenario. The instructions are horrible. Shaking the cards is not an effective way to cover the necessary moves. There is nothing really new here. What you're paying for is the cards. With that in mind, there is one tip given that will help existing matching routines. Doing this will increase your odds of getting a perfect match.

The marks are fine. One tip I can provide here not covered in the instructions is that the marks do follow the numerical order of the mnemonic ROYGBVI (the order of colors in a rainbow). That has helped me to easily remember what marks relate to which color. You're matching marks not colors so there's not really any memory work required. The marks are on the top and bottom of the cards. This may be a limitation for some. If you have poor vision these marks may not work for you.
You can find more information about Impossible here:

https://youtu.be/74QMQoWUhHg
ROYGBIV is the way I learned it.
[quote]On Jun 25, 2020, CMR wrote:
You can find more information about Impossible here:

https://youtu.be/74QMQoWUhHg [/quote]

The review suggests to practice with the cards face up. I think that is a good idea.
Just received this, because I thought it is a good alternative to ESP cards. Yes, the quality is not that good, but after all itís some cheap plastic and not cheap card stock that lasts only a few days. Think IĎm gonna try this out.