(Close Window)
Topic: The Worst Audience For A Magician. . .
. . .is the one which is the most polite.

I am convinced there are scores of bad magicians, or, good magicians who could be a lot better, who are deluded into thinking they are better than they are because of polite spectators.

I base this theory because I've been the bad then the good who could be better. I've seen
polite specs in my own development and I've seen polite specs on the tapes we buy and the expert mage on the tape has no clue he sucked because the polite specs oohed and ahhed phoney.

Remember, the worst hand in poker is the second best hand at the table. Think about it.
I know what you're saying.

I'm lucky that I got my performing experience "in the trenches", performing for bikers, goths and assorted tough folk, and learnt fast!!

Yeah, I once saw a fellow magician, no more talkative than Blaine, do a few tricks at a table-hopping event. The audience clapped politely, despite the poor material, sloppy sleights and zero showmanship. Thankfully, he was open to constructive criticism and has gotten much better.

Another terrible audience are magicians. The amount of times that they've looked down on my card and coin routines, yet gone mad over over-complicated magician's magician pieces!

And they wonder why the trick never plays well to a lay audience. Get as much real world experience as you can!!
There are -- or should be -- no bad audiences; if there IS a problem, look to the performer, not the audience. (After all, he's the one being paid to be there, not the audience!)
Having said that, I make one exception that has already been noted by GothicBen: Magicians make bad audiences. Period.
If you are a manipulator, they don't care how artistic your routine, just "where did he get the loads?"
If you are a comedy performer, bizarrist, or any story-telling magician, the audience of fellow magicians doesn't care about a routine you may have spent a year working on; they just want to know what the gimmick is.
If magicians would focus on the routines (silent or otherwise), and learn from them, then maybe there wouldn't be so many mediocre magicians around!
:angry:
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
For me there are TWO types of lousy audience:

1. My mate Chris. Having seen me do quite a lot of magic over 20-odd years, he is hard to impress, but makes it worse by logical deduction. Last night, I did a pretty perfect coin switch (half-dollar to 50p)only to get the response, "I saw how you did that: you switched one for the other and pocketed the original one..." I was so p*ssed off, because that was *exactly* what I had done, but I could not believe he had seen it. I broke a cardinal rule, and started to quiz him on what he had seen: it turns out he'd *seen* nothing at all: not the switch, not the ditch - he had simply deduced (logically enough)that that was what had happened. Moral: don't bother doing tricks for my mate Chris.

2. The know-all in the crowd who will grab your cards, coins, whatever and do some incredibly easy, elementary (not to mention badly-executed and presented) piece of cr*p which knocks them dead. God that hurts!!

Ross
Message: Posted by: christopher carter (Jul 24, 2002 11:48AM)
The worst audience is the one you are not prepared for.

--Christopher Carter
If the know all in the crowd can "Knock them out" with some " incredibly easy, elementary (not to mention badly excecuted and presented) piece of crap." then i suggest you look at your own routines critically, because the aim of the game is to knock em dead, and if he is doing it, (particularly if he is and you aren't,) then he is doing something right.

Andy
I agree with much that has been said here. I do wish more individuals would be honest when watching a performance and say what they are really thinking. I've seen a few who have deluded themselves into thinking they are doing perfect performances when, in fact, they flash constantly. Many years ago I made it a point to have specific friends watch my magic and judge. The group consisted of those that knew nothing of magic and some that were just starting out and a few who did it more than part time... the only rule: be painfully honest with me on what you saw or thought of the performance. That's how I've learned what to do and what not to do. At times it was rough to hear that a certain effect made no sense or that it was obvious where I was pulling the dove from, but in the end I feel it has made me a better performer. If you don't have the time to develop such a group of judges then let me suggest this: every once and awhile stop and ask someone you've just performed for to critique you and your magic. You might be surprised at what you hear.
Greg
The worst audience is the magician that is thinking about and preparing the effect he'll show you afterwards while he's watching you perform.
Message: Posted by: christopher carter (Jul 26, 2002 10:00AM)
Yes, berseus, you have identified the worst of the worst. I bow down to you. I am not worthy!

--Christopher Carter
Actually, I think that the worst of the worst is the magician who is watching you and "preparing" the effect that he will do in his act tommorow night (If ya know what I mean). :devilish:
Message: Posted by: christopher carter (Jul 27, 2002 01:07AM)
dpe666,

I do know what you mean. This guy sits in my audience with a notebook. I'm not making this up. It happens all the time.

--Christopher Carter
Why do we put up with guys like that? If I saw a guy sitting in my audience taking notes, I would, in the middle of the show, get off the stage, walk up to him, and set fire to his notebook. :devilish: :angry: