(Close Window)
Topic: The Jinx Five-Foot Shelf of Magic
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (May 30, 2020 06:25AM)
I know this topic has been visited before, but it's always interesting to update it with the all the possibilities for new material.

Do you know about Annemann's 5-ft shelf? It was originally intended to take someone from a beginner to one who knew everything you needed to know about the art of magic.

I made a video with a brief history as well as inclusions for my first foot. I plan to update this to include the remaining 4 feet later.

https://youtu.be/xQKiQNxidmc
[YouTube]xQKiQNxidmc[/YouTube]

How about you? What books would you include in the first foot? And why?
Message: Posted by: Feral Chorus (May 30, 2020 10:16AM)
I havenít watched the video yet, but is the first foot of the shelf intended to be the most essential of the essential books?
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (May 30, 2020 11:43AM)
Yes, that's my thought. Although that's not how Annemann presented it.

The key rule (as stated by Annemann) is that they're still readily available, so nothing that's out of print.
Message: Posted by: Boomer (May 30, 2020 05:17PM)
I'm going to try this, but instead of only using books currently available, I'm only going to use books that I currently own.

First foot:
1. The Discoverie of Witchcraft - Reginald Scott
2. Mastering the Art of Magic - Eugene Burger
3-4. The Books of Wonder - Tommy Wonder
5-6. Scripting Magic - Pete McCabe
7. Performing Magic - Tony Middleton
8. Maximum Entertainment 2.0 - Ken Weber
9. Strong Magic - Darwin Ortiz
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (May 30, 2020 05:20PM)
Love it, and those are some great choices! [I]Mastering the Art of Magic[/I] would definitely have made my list if it wasn't out of print. :hmm:
Message: Posted by: Boomer (May 30, 2020 09:07PM)
While I'm at it, thought I'd do my 2nd 5ft, see a theme going on here, which will be continued in the 3rd installment.

(Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM looking for JawDroppers One)

Dave
Message: Posted by: Boomer (May 30, 2020 11:50PM)
Doh, I see I have some repeats in there. gonna have to remedy that.


Dave
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 3, 2020 09:20AM)
I'm excited to see some of the choices in this thread.
I haven't read a lot yet but out of what I've read, to get a selection of new and old I'd pick:

Royal Road to Card Magic & Expert Card Teqnique
Scarne On Card Tricks
David Regal's Interpreting Magic & Approaching Magic
Principia - Harapan Ong
Prism - Max Maven
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jun 3, 2020 09:43AM)
@dustrod,

Great list. They'll likely show up on my list as we continue.

Thanks for sharing your choices.


Dave
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 4, 2020 08:15AM)
@Boomer,
The Interpreting Magic by David Regal is my top pick. I love everything about it. There's something for everyone in it.
It's very easy to understand and there's some knockout effects in it. Plus it's not all effects.
There's discussions and interviews with really big names in magic and mentalism. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it over again.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 4, 2020 09:04AM)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
@Boomer,
The Interpreting Magic by David Regal is my top pick. I love everything about it. There's something for everyone in it.
It's very easy to understand and there's some knockout effects in it. Plus it's not all effects.
There's discussions and interviews with really big names in magic and mentalism. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it over again. [/quote]

Spoiler alert: Interpreting Magic is definitely making it on the 5-ft. shelf! I read the interviews first, they were great to continue my magical education. David did such a great job allowing the interviewees' personalities to shine through. I literally laughed out loud reading the David Williamson interview, and in addition, I learned something about turning any trick into an engaging piece of entertainment.
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 4, 2020 09:11AM)
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 4, 2020 09:15AM)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha [/quote]

I know the feeling.

Interpreting Magic won't be the only Regal book on my shelf, but that could be because he's one of my faves! ;)
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 4, 2020 09:19AM)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, Dr. JK wrote:
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha [/quote]

I know the feeling.

Interpreting Magic won't be the only Regal book on my shelf, but that could be because he's one of my faves! ;) [/quote]


Mine too!
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jun 4, 2020 06:08PM)
Yesterday I poured myself a Smithwick's Red Ale and pulled Approaching Magic off the shelf and headed outside.

Good times.


Dave
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 11, 2020 04:02PM)
I have posted foot 2 for your consideration! I'm glad I have 3 feet left, because this is going to get harder!!! :crazydude:

https://youtu.be/VfhKP2Hdx7Y

[youtube]VfhKP2Hdx7Y[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Wizard of Oz (Jun 14, 2020 06:58AM)
Bravo Dr. JK!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and share yet another well-crafted and informative video. Always a pleasure to watch these gems.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 14, 2020 07:35AM)
[quote]On Jun 14, 2020, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Bravo Dr. JK!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and share yet another well-crafted and informative video. Always a pleasure to watch these gems. [/quote]

Thank you! 🙏 I love making them, but it's good to know you're getting value out of my work!! Enjoy!
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 15, 2020 11:59AM)
These are great videos. I've subscribed to your channel now. They're all great.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 15, 2020 12:01PM)
[quote]On Jun 15, 2020, dustrod wrote:
These are great videos. I've subscribed to your channel now. They're all great. [/quote]

Thank you - that's very kind of you to say! 🙏 If there's anything you think would make for an interesting video, don't hesitate to let me know!
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 15, 2020 12:04PM)
Ok awesome, I'll keep that in mind!
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 21, 2020 07:09AM)
Foot 3 is up and running now. This may be my favorite foot on the 5-ft. shelf of magic so far. I was able to personalize the choices a bit more and explain why I would have these books on my shelf. How about you? I have a feeling this is where the shelf could start to see some disagreement, but the conversation it may spark is great. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/f_rbBA4TfsA
[youtube]f_rbBA4TfsA[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jun 22, 2020 08:13AM)
That's a super fun foot of the shelf right there. Every book mentioned is either one I own and love, or plan to own very soon.
I still haven't read the Paul Harris books but I need to. I almost asked for them as a Father's Day present but there was some killer deals on 3 other books I wanted so they'll have to wait just a bit longer.

Great video as always! Keep em' coming
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jun 22, 2020 08:34AM)
[quote]On Jun 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
That's a super fun foot of the shelf right there. Every book mentioned is either one I own and love, or plan to own very soon.
I still haven't read the Paul Harris books but I need to. I almost asked for them as a Father's Day present but there was some killer deals on 3 other books I wanted so they'll have to wait just a bit longer.

Great video as always! Keep em' coming [/quote]

Thanks, dustrod! You're right, this was a fun shelf :D
Message: Posted by: Russo (Jun 22, 2020 10:00AM)
Might as well add mine. Forging ahead in magic-John Booth/1939 - Magic with every day objects-Shindler - Tarbell course#1 - Magic for Monsters-David Ginn,- Magic Shows you can give-Severen,- Magic through science-Gardner - Real book about magic-Leming/1951 - Illusion Show Know How-Ken&Bert Griffin (we travel'd with them & in book) - The Road Scholar-Dick Oslund. Plus 54 more(Yes 54 ) "WHEW" - and 18,20,21 Abbotts Cat,- 9.16 Tannens cat. -Hank Lees #111 Cat. At 83 -70 in Magic, read them all - Now just sitting, for ref. and memories.(also had 100's, MUM -Tops - Genii - the Magic Magazine- Magazines -donated to ??) LOVE- Love - Magic (not more than my Family though ). Ralph (russo) Rousseau
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jun 26, 2020 06:02PM)
Here's my 3rd installment. Switched up what I was going to post originally.

I enjoy reading through Hugards Magic Monthly, a look back in time.


Dave
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 8, 2020 08:18AM)
I picked up the Card Magic of Nick Trost based on your review.
I got a pretty good deal on a physical copy.
It'll be a little bit yet before I read it as I have a little pile of books building up. Maybe another month or so.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 8, 2020 10:22AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2020, dustrod wrote:
I picked up the Card Magic of Nick Trost based on your review.
I got a pretty good deal on a physical copy.
It'll be a little bit yet before I read it as I have a little pile of books building up. Maybe another month or so. [/quote]

You're going to love it!!
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 8, 2020 11:27AM)
Dr. JK, will there be more of these videos or was that the final foot?
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 8, 2020 11:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK, will there be more of these videos or was that the final foot? [/quote]
I will definitely finish the 5-ft shelf, but I'm spacing those videos out. Stay tuned! 👍
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 8, 2020 11:35AM)
Ah great!
Message: Posted by: Ioannes (Jul 9, 2020 03:43PM)
These are some great resources Dr. JK! After watching your video on the first foot I immediately started reading through the Tarbell course. Thanks for sharing your videos!
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 10, 2020 06:46AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2020, Ioannes wrote:
These are some great resources Dr. JK! After watching your video on the first foot I immediately started reading through the Tarbell course. Thanks for sharing your videos! [/quote]
Awesome! Posts like this ☝️ are the reason I do my videos. If you get back into your books, it's all worth it! 👍
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 12, 2020 08:56AM)
Foot 4 is live!!

https://youtu.be/a2wLQSjHr7Y
[youtube]a2wLQSjHr7Y[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 12, 2020 01:57PM)
Awesome! I get excited when there's books I haven't read yet. Gonna have to add these to the reading list eventually. I'm really interested in the mentalism book.
:readingbook:
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jul 12, 2020 02:20PM)
@dustrod,

If you like mentalism, one of my favorites is Paramiracles by Ted Lesley.



Dave
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 12, 2020 02:31PM)
[quote]On Jul 12, 2020, Boomer wrote:
@dustrod,

If you like mentalism, one of my favorites is Paramiracles by Ted Lesley.



Dave [/quote]
Paramiracles would have made foot 2, but it's out of print...
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jul 12, 2020 02:40PM)
I'll have to put it into my 4th foot.


Dave
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 12, 2020 03:03PM)
Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Message: Posted by: KWEBER (Jul 14, 2020 03:30PM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2020, Dr. JK wrote:
I have posted foot 2 for your consideration! I'm glad I have 3 feet left, because this is going to get harder!!! :crazydude:


Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the mention. I'll just point out that the Revised and Expanded version (Maximum Entertainment 2.0) is out and available through all major dealers.

https://www.max-ent.info/

And let me say that I think you're doing a good job with these reviews.
Ken
Message: Posted by: Boomer (Jul 18, 2020 04:08PM)
Here's my fourth foot of books: No picture this time.

Ted Lesley - Paramiracles
Dariel Fitzkee - Fitzkee Trilogy
Paul Harris - Art of Astonishment series
Stephen Minch - John Carney's Carneycopia
Corinda - 13 Steps to Mentalism
J.B. Bobo - The New Modern Coin Magic


Dave
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 22, 2020 10:03AM)
Dr. JK,
You mention the effects in Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz is compatible with other stacks, not just Mnemonica. Is the same true with the Simon Aronson book(s)?
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Jul 22, 2020 11:12AM)
[quote]On Jul 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK,
You mention the effects in Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz is compatible with other stacks, not just Mnemonica. Is the same true with the Simon Aronson book(s)?
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask. [/quote]

Yes, it's absolutely true. Not all tricks in Aronson's books are compatible with Mnemonica, but many directly translate. Good for you putting in the work - it will pay big dividends!
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Jul 22, 2020 11:48AM)
Yes, it's absolutely true. Not all tricks in Aronson's books are compatible with Mnemonica, but many directly translate. Good for you putting in the work - it will pay big dividends! [/quote]


Awesome and thank you!
Message: Posted by: landmark (Jul 23, 2020 03:12AM)
[quote]On Jul 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK,
You mention the effects in Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz is compatible with other stacks, not just Mnemonica. Is the same true with the Simon Aronson book(s)?
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask. [/quote]

Folks generally use the phrase "stack independent" to talk about memdeck effects that do not require one particular stack. Both the Aronson and Mnemonica books have many great stack independent effects, as well as stack dependent effects.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Jul 26, 2020 12:01AM)
Jeff's great videos inspired me to start writing up my list here:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/07/26/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-one/
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Aug 4, 2020 11:21AM)
The suspense of waiting for Foot 5!!
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Aug 4, 2020 11:24AM)
[quote]On Aug 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
The suspense of waiting for Foot 5!! [/quote]
Ha! I have to space these things out! ;)
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Aug 4, 2020 11:28AM)
I know you do. Your last video on beginners studying magic books was great! :bigsmile:
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Aug 4, 2020 11:45AM)
[quote]On Aug 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
I know you do. Your last video on beginners studying magic books was great! :bigsmile: [/quote]
Thank you! :smiletear:
Message: Posted by: landmark (Aug 10, 2020 11:30PM)
Here's my second foot of the Five Foot Shelf:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/08/11/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-the-second-foot/
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Aug 16, 2020 07:45AM)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, Boomer wrote:
Yesterday I poured myself a Smithwick's Red Ale and pulled Approaching Magic off the shelf and headed outside.

Good times.


Dave [/quote]
I have now made a specific review of Approaching Magic, which is available via the link below:

https://youtu.be/zeZSDDU29EA
[youtube]zeZSDDU29EA[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: landmark (Oct 9, 2020 11:11PM)
Here's my third foot:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/10/10/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-foot-three/
Message: Posted by: dustrod (Dec 6, 2020 07:13PM)
It's been 5 months that flew by since I picked up the Nick Trost book on your recommendation Jeff but I'm just now getting cracking it open. Great book! Right off the bat I'm loving it.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Dec 6, 2020 07:19PM)
[quote]On Dec 6, 2020, dustrod wrote:
It's been 5 months that flew by since I picked up the Nick Trost book on your recommendation Jeff but I'm just now getting cracking it open. Great book! Right off the bat I'm loving it. [/quote]
And you will continue to love it - I guarantee it. Trost was such an underrated card guy!