(Close Window)
Topic: The Jinx Five-Foot Shelf of Magic
I know this topic has been visited before, but it's always interesting to update it with the all the possibilities for new material.

Do you know about Annemann's 5-ft shelf? It was originally intended to take someone from a beginner to one who knew everything you needed to know about the art of magic.

I made a video with a brief history as well as inclusions for my first foot. I plan to update this to include the remaining 4 feet later.

https://youtu.be/xQKiQNxidmc
[YouTube]xQKiQNxidmc[/YouTube]

How about you? What books would you include in the first foot? And why?
I havenít watched the video yet, but is the first foot of the shelf intended to be the most essential of the essential books?
Yes, that's my thought. Although that's not how Annemann presented it.

The key rule (as stated by Annemann) is that they're still readily available, so nothing that's out of print.
I'm going to try this, but instead of only using books currently available, I'm only going to use books that I currently own.

First foot:
1. The Discoverie of Witchcraft - Reginald Scott
2. Mastering the Art of Magic - Eugene Burger
3-4. The Books of Wonder - Tommy Wonder
5-6. Scripting Magic - Pete McCabe
7. Performing Magic - Tony Middleton
8. Maximum Entertainment 2.0 - Ken Weber
9. Strong Magic - Darwin Ortiz
Love it, and those are some great choices! [I]Mastering the Art of Magic[/I] would definitely have made my list if it wasn't out of print. :hmm:
While I'm at it, thought I'd do my 2nd 5ft, see a theme going on here, which will be continued in the 3rd installment.

(Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM looking for JawDroppers One)

Dave
Doh, I see I have some repeats in there. gonna have to remedy that.

Dave
I'm excited to see some of the choices in this thread.
I haven't read a lot yet but out of what I've read, to get a selection of new and old I'd pick:

Royal Road to Card Magic & Expert Card Teqnique
Scarne On Card Tricks
David Regal's Interpreting Magic & Approaching Magic
Principia - Harapan Ong
Prism - Max Maven
@dustrod,

Great list. They'll likely show up on my list as we continue.

Thanks for sharing your choices.

Dave
@Boomer,
The Interpreting Magic by David Regal is my top pick. I love everything about it. There's something for everyone in it.
It's very easy to understand and there's some knockout effects in it. Plus it's not all effects.
There's discussions and interviews with really big names in magic and mentalism. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it over again.
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
@Boomer,
The Interpreting Magic by David Regal is my top pick. I love everything about it. There's something for everyone in it.
It's very easy to understand and there's some knockout effects in it. Plus it's not all effects.
There's discussions and interviews with really big names in magic and mentalism. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to start it over again. [/quote]

Spoiler alert: Interpreting Magic is definitely making it on the 5-ft. shelf! I read the interviews first, they were great to continue my magical education. David did such a great job allowing the interviewees' personalities to shine through. I literally laughed out loud reading the David Williamson interview, and in addition, I learned something about turning any trick into an engaging piece of entertainment.
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha [/quote]

I know the feeling.

Interpreting Magic won't be the only Regal book on my shelf, but that could be because he's one of my faves! ;)
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, Dr. JK wrote:
That's awesome Dr. JK! I totally agree. and that whole book had a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'd be reading on the couch laughing my butt off while my family looked at me like there was something wrong with me! haha [/quote]

I know the feeling.

Interpreting Magic won't be the only Regal book on my shelf, but that could be because he's one of my faves! ;) [/quote]

Mine too!
Yesterday I poured myself a Smithwick's Red Ale and pulled Approaching Magic off the shelf and headed outside.

Good times.

Dave
I have posted foot 2 for your consideration! I'm glad I have 3 feet left, because this is going to get harder!!! :crazydude:

https://youtu.be/VfhKP2Hdx7Y

[youtube]VfhKP2Hdx7Y[/youtube]
Bravo Dr. JK!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and share yet another well-crafted and informative video. Always a pleasure to watch these gems.
[quote]On Jun 14, 2020, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Bravo Dr. JK!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create and share yet another well-crafted and informative video. Always a pleasure to watch these gems. [/quote]

Thank you! 🙏 I love making them, but it's good to know you're getting value out of my work!! Enjoy!
These are great videos. I've subscribed to your channel now. They're all great.
[quote]On Jun 15, 2020, dustrod wrote:
These are great videos. I've subscribed to your channel now. They're all great. [/quote]

Thank you - that's very kind of you to say! 🙏 If there's anything you think would make for an interesting video, don't hesitate to let me know!
Ok awesome, I'll keep that in mind!
Foot 3 is up and running now. This may be my favorite foot on the 5-ft. shelf of magic so far. I was able to personalize the choices a bit more and explain why I would have these books on my shelf. How about you? I have a feeling this is where the shelf could start to see some disagreement, but the conversation it may spark is great. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/f_rbBA4TfsA
[youtube]f_rbBA4TfsA[/youtube]
That's a super fun foot of the shelf right there. Every book mentioned is either one I own and love, or plan to own very soon.
I still haven't read the Paul Harris books but I need to. I almost asked for them as a Father's Day present but there was some killer deals on 3 other books I wanted so they'll have to wait just a bit longer.

Great video as always! Keep em' coming
[quote]On Jun 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
That's a super fun foot of the shelf right there. Every book mentioned is either one I own and love, or plan to own very soon.
I still haven't read the Paul Harris books but I need to. I almost asked for them as a Father's Day present but there was some killer deals on 3 other books I wanted so they'll have to wait just a bit longer.

Great video as always! Keep em' coming [/quote]

Thanks, dustrod! You're right, this was a fun shelf :D
Might as well add mine. Forging ahead in magic-John Booth/1939 - Magic with every day objects-Shindler - Tarbell course#1 - Magic for Monsters-David Ginn,- Magic Shows you can give-Severen,- Magic through science-Gardner - Real book about magic-Leming/1951 - Illusion Show Know How-Ken&Bert Griffin (we travel'd with them & in book) - The Road Scholar-Dick Oslund. Plus 54 more(Yes 54 ) "WHEW" - and 18,20,21 Abbotts Cat,- 9.16 Tannens cat. -Hank Lees #111 Cat. At 83 -70 in Magic, read them all - Now just sitting, for ref. and memories.(also had 100's, MUM -Tops - Genii - the Magic Magazine- Magazines -donated to ??) LOVE- Love - Magic (not more than my Family though ). Ralph (russo) Rousseau
Here's my 3rd installment. Switched up what I was going to post originally.

I enjoy reading through Hugards Magic Monthly, a look back in time.

Dave
I picked up the Card Magic of Nick Trost based on your review.
I got a pretty good deal on a physical copy.
It'll be a little bit yet before I read it as I have a little pile of books building up. Maybe another month or so.
[quote]On Jul 8, 2020, dustrod wrote:
I picked up the Card Magic of Nick Trost based on your review.
I got a pretty good deal on a physical copy.
It'll be a little bit yet before I read it as I have a little pile of books building up. Maybe another month or so. [/quote]

You're going to love it!!
Dr. JK, will there be more of these videos or was that the final foot?
[quote]On Jul 8, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK, will there be more of these videos or was that the final foot? [/quote]
I will definitely finish the 5-ft shelf, but I'm spacing those videos out. Stay tuned! 👍
Ah great!
These are some great resources Dr. JK! After watching your video on the first foot I immediately started reading through the Tarbell course. Thanks for sharing your videos!
[quote]On Jul 9, 2020, Ioannes wrote:
These are some great resources Dr. JK! After watching your video on the first foot I immediately started reading through the Tarbell course. Thanks for sharing your videos! [/quote]
Awesome! Posts like this ☝️ are the reason I do my videos. If you get back into your books, it's all worth it! 👍
Foot 4 is live!!

https://youtu.be/a2wLQSjHr7Y
[youtube]a2wLQSjHr7Y[/youtube]
Awesome! I get excited when there's books I haven't read yet. Gonna have to add these to the reading list eventually. I'm really interested in the mentalism book.
:readingbook:
@dustrod,

If you like mentalism, one of my favorites is Paramiracles by Ted Lesley.

Dave
[quote]On Jul 12, 2020, Boomer wrote:
@dustrod,

If you like mentalism, one of my favorites is Paramiracles by Ted Lesley.

Dave [/quote]
Paramiracles would have made foot 2, but it's out of print...
I'll have to put it into my 4th foot.

Dave
Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.
[quote]On Jun 11, 2020, Dr. JK wrote:
I have posted foot 2 for your consideration! I'm glad I have 3 feet left, because this is going to get harder!!! :crazydude:

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the mention. I'll just point out that the Revised and Expanded version (Maximum Entertainment 2.0) is out and available through all major dealers.

https://www.max-ent.info/

And let me say that I think you're doing a good job with these reviews.
Ken
Here's my fourth foot of books: No picture this time.

Ted Lesley - Paramiracles
Dariel Fitzkee - Fitzkee Trilogy
Paul Harris - Art of Astonishment series
Stephen Minch - John Carney's Carneycopia
Corinda - 13 Steps to Mentalism
J.B. Bobo - The New Modern Coin Magic

Dave
Dr. JK,
You mention the effects in Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz is compatible with other stacks, not just Mnemonica. Is the same true with the Simon Aronson book(s)?
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask.
[quote]On Jul 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK,
You mention the effects in Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz is compatible with other stacks, not just Mnemonica. Is the same true with the Simon Aronson book(s)?
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask. [/quote]

Yes, it's absolutely true. Not all tricks in Aronson's books are compatible with Mnemonica, but many directly translate. Good for you putting in the work - it will pay big dividends!
Yes, it's absolutely true. Not all tricks in Aronson's books are compatible with Mnemonica, but many directly translate. Good for you putting in the work - it will pay big dividends! [/quote]

Awesome and thank you!
[quote]On Jul 22, 2020, dustrod wrote:
Dr. JK,
I've recently started MemDeck work for the fun of it while I have some time on my hands. I'm a solid 30 cards into Mnemonica stack and working on the last 22 this week, that's why I ask. [/quote]

Folks generally use the phrase "stack independent" to talk about memdeck effects that do not require one particular stack. Both the Aronson and Mnemonica books have many great stack independent effects, as well as stack dependent effects.
Jeff's great videos inspired me to start writing up my list here:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/07/26/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-one/
The suspense of waiting for Foot 5!!
[quote]On Aug 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
The suspense of waiting for Foot 5!! [/quote]
Ha! I have to space these things out! ;)
I know you do. Your last video on beginners studying magic books was great! :bigsmile:
[quote]On Aug 4, 2020, dustrod wrote:
I know you do. Your last video on beginners studying magic books was great! :bigsmile: [/quote]
Thank you! :smiletear:
Here's my second foot of the Five Foot Shelf:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/08/11/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-the-second-foot/
[quote]On Jun 4, 2020, Boomer wrote:
Yesterday I poured myself a Smithwick's Red Ale and pulled Approaching Magic off the shelf and headed outside.

Good times.

Dave [/quote]
I have now made a specific review of Approaching Magic, which is available via the link below:

https://youtu.be/zeZSDDU29EA
[youtube]zeZSDDU29EA[/youtube]
Here's my third foot:

https://jackshalom.net/2020/10/10/the-five-foot-shelf-of-magic-foot-three/
It's been 5 months that flew by since I picked up the Nick Trost book on your recommendation Jeff but I'm just now getting cracking it open. Great book! Right off the bat I'm loving it.
[quote]On Dec 6, 2020, dustrod wrote:
It's been 5 months that flew by since I picked up the Nick Trost book on your recommendation Jeff but I'm just now getting cracking it open. Great book! Right off the bat I'm loving it. [/quote]
And you will continue to love it - I guarantee it. Trost was such an underrated card guy!