(Close Window)
Topic: For those who come to this forum to understand what makes Bizarre Magic different ....
Https://youtu.be/DVOr8CbIgnU

This video summarizes it quite nicely.
That. Is. Splendid.

George
That was excellent and beautifully performed. Does anyone know where you can get those tarot cards? That's a beautiful deck.
Thank you, @Sir.

@GReed3649: I don't know about that deck in particular (it looked handmade rather than printed), but this is a good site for seeing what decks are available:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/
There has already been some discussion regarding the tarot deck that Neville used......

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=709380&forum=14

papalazarou was "...looking into possibilities regarding a reproduction..."

The deck looks fantastic and it would be great if it could become available.
Thanks for the heads up, now I have something new to look at and research. That switch/music box was a thing of beauty as well.
Really great performance. Always predict Death, it is inevitable and sure to come to pass. But be careful when you laugh Death in the face; Death always has the last laugh.
Very nice routine.

Ray
The whole episode is on BBC iPlayer if you are UK based. Or to stream on HBO Max... or these other places : https://reelgood.com/show/inside-no-9-2014
Glad you enjoyed the clip. The episode was a love letter to Bizarre...

Inside No. 9, Series 5: 4. Misdirection: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000frhc via @bbciplayer
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jun 10, 2020 11:54PM)
Thank you so much for posting this @Sir! That was an absolutely fantastic watch.

I'll definitely be looking this up on HBO Max now.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jun 11, 2020 10:34AM)
I love how the alleged "method" is tossed away at the very end.

My only quibble is that in the Celtic Cross spread, the middle card isn't the future.
Hi - yeah, we made a decision about the reveal of the “future” card looking better (for camera) in the middle of the cross!
I sort of knew it wouldn’t wash with those in the know! But .... you know ....artistic license !
Another good site for Tarot decks, etc....

https://shop.tarocks.com/
Thanks, for another tarot card website.

Personally I'm looking for a set of cards that can pass for being just over 100 years old that I don't have to harvest and sell a kidney to afford.
GReed, you could just get a Swiss IJJ deck and age them. It will feel brutal to do it, but there is plenty of good information available to guide you in turning new decks to old.

What a great video, though. Perfect illustration of why theater matters.

-Patrick
Don't know how I missed the Swiss 1JJ deck. I'll definitely give that a closer look, thanks for the suggestion.
[quote]On Jun 10, 2020, papalazarou wrote:
The whole episode is on BBC iPlayer if you are UK based. Or to stream on HBO Max... or these other places : https://reelgood.com/show/inside-no-9-2014
Glad you enjoyed the clip. The episode was a love letter to Bizarre...

Inside No. 9, Series 5: 4. Misdirection: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000frhc via @bbciplayer [/quote]

I watched this episode a few months back...absolutely fantastic, papalazarou!
Thanks for posting.
This episode was one of the best, but it is a great show overall.Just wish we had access to Region one DVDs in the US. I'd love to own the whole series!
But it is available on BBC.
Great video. Perhaps someone can convince Gemini artifacts to make a switch/music box like that?
But... this is just The Turn. If you want to see The Prestige, you have to watch the entire episode by papalazarou.

I have to say, since I've been locked down, this episode has been one of my favorite escapes. Stateside Spookies, do not rest until you have seen this entire episode!
Unfortunately it is not available here...
The series I mean
The series is available through BritBox in the USA. One episode featuring a single found shoe is sheer poetry.

BC
What should I be searching for on Britbox (which I have)? Thanks
Inside No. 9
[quote]On Nov 17, 2020, Winks wrote:
What should I be searching for on Britbox (which I have)? Thanks [/quote]

Inside No. 9 - Season 05, Episode 04 "Misdirection"
But watch the entire series, it is phenomenal. I was hooked from the first show, but have several favorites.
Thank you!!
Awesome, coming to Oz soon
Are these effects published? Thanks!
Sir,
Thank you so much for posting this, the routine and presentation were wonderful, and touched me in ways yet to unfold. Thanks again.
[quote]On Nov 17, 2020, pulpscrypt wrote:
But watch the entire series, it is phenomenal. I was hooked from the first show, but have several favorites. [/quote]

I agree. This is easily my favourite tv show ever and, while the episode in question is fantastic, there are many other episodes that are just as amazing. The Riddle Of The Sphinx was standout as well.
I'm applauding that two stunt coordinators were required
[quote]On Jun 10, 2020, weepinwil wrote:
Really great performance. Always predict Death, it is inevitable and sure to come to pass. But be careful when you laugh Death in the face; Death always has the last laugh. [/quote]
Death... I am more than familiar with it. But Life? What is the function of Life?
I'll tell you. The purpose of Life is.... to keep meat fresh. That's all.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2021, reese wrote:
Really great performance. Always predict Death, it is inevitable and sure to come to pass. But be careful when you laugh Death in the face; Death always has the last laugh. [/quote]
Death... I am more than familiar with it. But Life? What is the function of Life?
I'll tell you. The purpose of Life is.... to keep meat fresh. That's all. [/quote]

And to die with dignity. My funeral will have a door prize drawing for all who attend. All funerals begin with FUN!
Every Dark Presentation has this philosophy at it's heart: Regret the past. Fear the present. DREAD THE FUTURE.
[quote]On Jan 19, 2021, weepinwil wrote:
[quote]On Jan 19, 2021, reese wrote:
I'll tell you. The purpose of Life is.... to keep meat fresh. That's all. [/quote]

And to die with dignity. My funeral will have a door prize drawing for all who attend. All funerals begin with FUN! [/quote] My my most fun funeral was a wake party. The corpse was in the next room. We drank & ate great food & told funny stories about the recently deceased. And we all spent time with the corpse during the party. Best funeral ever! Full of joy & laughter
p.s. y'all not allowed to joke about it. You weren't there.
It was a private affair. Don't desecrate it. Talking to you Will.
Sorry, but I've conducted too many funerals and seen too much grief to think of any funeral as fun. We try and mock death or even deny it with our bizarre magic illusions, but death is still death. It brings pain and heartache and permanent loss. But fun? No.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2021, Winks wrote:
Sorry, but I've conducted too many funerals and seen too much grief to think of any funeral as fun. We try and mock death or even deny it with our bizarre magic illusions, but death is still death. It brings pain and heartache and permanent loss. But fun? No. [/quote]

People cope with uncontrolled situations in different ways and sarcastic mocking is a mechanism some use to lighten the pain of dying and the uncertainty it brings. Regardless of anyone's view, all funerals do begin with FUN (FUNeral) otherwise you would have to call it something else.

In addition, I have done my share of funerals and dealt with the pain of death as well and have to admit I have seen some pretty funny stuff at a few of them.

As a fact I had to change my order of service to accommodate those times when they happen. Nothing like someone quoting the Bible, "And God will wipe all tears from their ears," and it is now your turn to speak.
I agree that funny things happen. My point is that no funeral starts out to be fun - like going to the beach or such - even though funny things may occur.
[quote]On Jan 20, 2021, Winks wrote:
I agree that funny things happen. My point is that no funeral starts out to be fun - like going to the beach or such - even though funny things may occur. [/quote]

I agree with that. I think my point was a play on words, not actual fact. We both have been involved with more death than we really want
. Comes with our calling. Even worse when it is tragic.