(Close Window)
Topic: Letter Perfect by David Regal
Https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14229

How is this different from The Letter Deck by Card Shark?

https://www.card-shark.de/?page=79&lang=en&detail=true&Category=13&ArtID=324

That is the link to the deluxe edition from Card Shark - there is also a standard edition which is $35.00 / €35,00

Bicycle Maiden Backs instead of Phoenix cards? The assortment of letters?

Ad copy for Letter Perfect:

"When you want a trick that is powerful, direct, and fair the creator you look for is David Regal. He knows how to create an effect that will grab ahold of the audience and give them a memory they will want to tell other people about. Mixing up a handful of cards where they make all the decisions only to find themselves staring at their own names is one of those effects that they never see coming. The effect is powerful and the method is clean. This is Letter Perfect by David Regal.

Here’s what happens:

The magician offers to have the spectator grab a handful of cards from a deck of cards made of of letters instead of playing cards. They can then freely shuffle the cards face up into face down as much as they want. The magician takes them back and lets them make some final decisions whether or not cards are placed face up or face down. After the final mix the cards are spread out and all of the face down cards are removed. Those cards then spell the spectator’s own name.

This trick goes far beyond names. Your spectators can spell just about any word you want. Whether you want them to spell the word magic, or the name of the company who hired you for your next big gig. This effect is practically self working, and even comes with a special deck of alphabet cards. David teaches in detail everything you need to know to be able to make this effect as fair possible. If you want to give your spectator’s something to really talk about, you will want to perform Letter Perfect.

In addition to an Instant Download where you learn the Letter Perfect effect from David Regal you will get a custom printed 56 card alphabet deck on Bicycle Maiden Backs with enough letters to spell an almost infinite number of names and words.

3 each of these letters: A, E, O & T
2 each of these letters: B, C, D, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, U, V, W, X, Y & Z"

I thought there would already be a topic on this since Penguin sent out an email yesterday, but don't see one. If there is, please delete this.
Letter Perfect comes with an alphabet deck, where the Card Shark deck looks like real cards (but they have letters on them.)

So you get a deck either way, but with Letter Perfect -- it's the David Regal routine that you are buying.
I think he taught this on his penguin live lecture. I remember liking it.
None of the spectators in the demo seem impressed.
Phatmeat, I was there and I think that has more to do with the environment. You'd think filming in LA would be easy but the opposite is true. Many times the situation is not great for inspiring awesome reactions. This trick is awesome both in method and also in the great potential of the effect.
He explains it in David Regal in the UK. I thought the explanation was rushed and not at all clear. I hope he does a better job here.
Would be a nice addition to Snaps.
I watched the new version and I find the explanations very confusing once again.
I followed exactly what he did and the outcome was far from perfect...
[quote]On Sep 8, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
I think he taught this on his penguin live lecture. I remember liking it. [/quote]

You find it also in his book „Approaching Magic“ - a fabulous book, BTW. Jan
[youtube]crsqioMP914[/youtube]
As I watched Magic KL's demo, I was thinking of a bunch of interesting uses for this deck/method. When I have time to spend really getting the trick down and playing with it, I'm going to pick it up.
[quote]On Sep 21, 2020, JanForster wrote:
[quote]On Sep 8, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
I think he taught this on his penguin live lecture. I remember liking it. [/quote]

You find it also in his book „Approaching Magic“ - a fabulous book, BTW. Jan [/quote]

Can you say where in Approaching Magic? It's been a long time since I read it and didn't remember this effect. Pulled it off the shelf and unless I skimmed the Table of Contents too fast, I didn't see Letter Perfect in there. Is it under a different name? Though perhaps I should just reread the whole book... seems about time for that...

Thanks!
I suspect Jan is confused, it is in Close-Up and Personal.

To be honest all David books are great and it is easy to forget which one has what in.
No, I am not confused, but mentioned the wrong book :) ... it is indeed in "Close-Up & Personal", page 88. Jan
I'll admit I got this just because I know that David's ideas are always valuable and this is no exception. Yes, the idea of just producing a name could be weak but using it to produce a word from a previous effect such as a book test has great potential. It is a great tool... I'll find the perfect use for it soon.
Hi makulit974 - Just saw this thread. The Hummer principle works itself, but yes, it can be confusing when it comes to setting it up properly for a name, word, etc. I'd be happy to email you a pdf I made that explains the basic principal - it's really just a re-write of the Hummer work. I'll also answer any specific questions you may have as I want you to be able to do the effect! It is one of those tricks that seems 100% impossible while simultaneously flattering the assistant/client. You can reach me at david@davidregal.com
I reviewed this on the latest episode of my review show. David Regal is awesome and this trick is just exceptional.

I performed the routine on my son so you can see how commercial it is.

Here’s the link to the show.

https://youtu.be/8R10xXfdVbI

Any questions let me know.

Thanks
I've been doing this trick based on the version taught on David Regal In The UK. Does the new release have any additional routines or subtleties?
Bannon’s ORIGAMI POKER is a much simpler route to the same reveal.
[quote]On Feb 2, 2021, ejohn wrote:
Bannon’s ORIGAMI POKER is a much simpler route to the same reveal. [/quote]

The Hummer Principle is really quite straightforward, it's just one of those things that isn't necessarily that straightforward to explain. I don't find ORIGAMI POKER to be any more streamlined, certainly from the perspective of the participant. LP can be pared back to a certain extent. It depends on the balance you want to strike between apparent 'fairness' (giving the participant more opportunities to cut etc) and creating an effect that isn't overly bogged down in procedure.
An alternative to the Hummer shuffle is the Shuffle-Bored procedure. This is useful for a longer message (say around 10 to 15 letters), using the whole deck.
[quote]On Feb 10, 2021, Dumbledini wrote:
An alternative to the Hummer shuffle is the Shuffle-Bored procedure. This is useful for a longer message (say around 10 to 15 letters), using the whole deck. [/quote]

That's useful. I'm not aware of Shuffle-Bored. Can you explain a bit more about it? What's a good resource?
Love this trick. I use a spooky story where a supposed ghosts name is spelled out.

I think it’s in Close Up and Personal by David which costs $45 and has a lot more material. Not sure there’s much value in buying the individual trick when you compare costs. Although you do get a deck of alphabet cards.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
An alternative to the Hummer shuffle is the Shuffle-Bored procedure. This is useful for a longer message (say around 10 to 15 letters), using the whole deck. [/quote]

That's useful. I'm not aware of Shuffle-Bored. Can you explain a bit more about it? What's a good resource? [/quote]

Get "Bound to Please" by Simon Aaronson which is (1) ridiculously inexpensive for what it is (2) includes the very, very useful Shuffle Bored and (3) a whole lot more.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2021, no2ss wrote:
[quote]On Feb 11, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:

That's useful. I'm not aware of Shuffle-Bored. Can you explain a bit more about it? What's a good resource? [/quote]

Get "Bound to Please" by Simon Aaronson which is (1) ridiculously inexpensive for what it is (2) includes the very, very useful Shuffle Bored and (3) a whole lot more. [/quote]

Ah thanks man, I'll check it out
[quote]On Sep 21, 2020, Magic KL wrote:
[youtube]crsqioMP914[/youtube] [/quote]
Fiddlin Jonny best review show on YouTube by far
Recently started using DMC's Alpha Deck to do Letter Perfect. Nice to have the added markings if like me you're an anxious performer who likes to be able to check everything is where it should be (might be a nice addition if David ever releases an updated version)! The Passport to Alphas also opens up a load of great routines you can do with an alphabet deck. Deffo worth a purchase, even if you already own LP. That said, LP is still my favourite alphabet routine so far. The connection/buy-in you get with the reveal of someone's name just seems to lift any given card trick...time to re-work some of those old classics me-thinks.
Dmc Alpha is also my choice