(Close Window)
Topic: Belief and magic
Paraphrasing 'Lawence O' --

It doesn't matter if you believe in magic. A belief means someone else is doing the thinking.
With magic you must think for yourself!
Only a charlatan would want his audience to actually believe in magic or any superstitious nonsense, except for their amusement.
[quote]On Oct 4, 2020, tommy wrote:
Only a charlatan would want his audience to actually believe in magic or any superstitious nonsense, except for their amusement. [/quote]

Then what do you think about Santa Claus?
Well, Santa Claus is real: I have his address and I write to him every Christmas.

I think adults who tell children that Santa Claus is not real are charlatans.
"superstitious nonsense" - are you talking about politics or religion?

I do not "beleive in magic" as that relies on the experiences of others.

I "know of magic" from personal experience, i.e. I accept that there are things I do not understand and have no need to "figure them out."

I like the fact that there is inexplicable phenomenon in the universe. I can pretend at magic in a theatrical way
so that observers can have a real-time experience of impossible things as a diversion from "believed things."

No believing or superstitious causality is required - just a real experience of astonishment, awe&wonder and joy.

I do not even care what they believe. I am interested in the story they might tell 40 years from now.
No! Talking about politics or religion is against the rules. If you mention politics or religion again I will tell Santa.