(Close Window)
Topic: Best Adhesive To Use To Glue Two Playing Cards Together To Make A Double Facer
What is the best adhesive to use to glue two playing cards together to make a double facer?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I always just use rubber cement.
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Just a plain glue stick will work as well. I started using the rubber cement sold at auto parts stores (for tire repair) since it is thinner than Elmer's Rubber Cement (and since I had a few bottles of Elmer's on hand, I bought some "Thinner" for it on Amazon). If you want to go for "Best", DMT (Dry Mount Tissue) is on the top of my list. It requires some investment in a few small items (to very fancy jigs) but you get a nice snap to the cards making them feel just right. I would only get into all that if you plan on making a good many gaffs over time. Otherwise, Rubber Cement or a glue stick will do the job.
I like loc-tite super glue. It is clear, flexible, and they will never come apart.
Elmer's Disappearing Purple School Glue Stick is the best.
Thank you, Poof-Daddy, Paul and Eoin for your great suggestions!
Read my posts here on how to glue cards together, and leaves the card flexible for use.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=37&topic=634549#9

Great for dollar bills as well, and can be washed off with warm water.
I want, ideally, something I can take apart but can also go through a warm clothes washer and dryer, still stuck together. Just in case I leave the cards in my pocket and they make it through the wash. Any ideas?
What temperature wash?
Iíve experimented with all of the above and they are all pretty good. The best adhesive Iíve found is Elmers dry mount spray. It fees and sounds a little better. The bottle has the words Spray Adhesive on it.
I tried using a Pritt stick. It stuck fine. But the double was incredibly stiff as well as thick. I tried flexing the double to see if I could make it more bendy. There was a loud cracking noise and a big section came unstuck. So I assume the rubber cements mentioned above are more flexible!
[quote]On Dec 29, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
So I assume the rubber cements mentioned above are more flexible! [/quote]
They Are.
Rubber cement for me. Best by test :)
Dry mount tissue.
https://www.drymounttissue.com/product/mastermount-dry-mount-tissue/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-jy82xxZBkEPnqXgXC3aOdWw
[quote]On Jan 29, 2021, ringmaster wrote:
Dry mount tissue.
https://www.drymounttissue.com/product/mastermount-dry-mount-tissue/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-jy82xxZBkEPnqXgXC3aOdWw [/quote]

Ringmaster, do you have any tips or suggestions on how to use the dry mount tissue?
Thanks!
Https://www.lybrary.com/the-gaff-factory......750.html
Also Google Dry mount for some videos.
https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/card-splitting.1297/
Definitely not Gorilla Glue :)
[quote]On Feb 9, 2021, MGordonB wrote:
Definitely not Gorilla Glue :) [/quote]
Definitely not on your hair.
I've found glue sticks to be just fine, but.... If you may want to let a spectator handle the card, I strongly suggest going with a gaffed double-facer, single card.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 19, 2021 06:12PM)
[quote]On Nov 26, 2020, countrymaven wrote:
I want, ideally, something I can take apart but can also go through a warm clothes washer and dryer, still stuck together. Just in case I leave the cards in my pocket and they make it through the wash. Any ideas? [/quote]That was funny! :) :nod:

There's a story about a magician carrying around a set of gaffed cards in his shirt pocket on hot summer day. When he got home he found the cards has soaked and split. That's just what happens to paper.

And if you use plastic they may melt in the dryer.
Forgot about 3M Super 77, which also works great. It adheres well, and like rubber cement will still allow the cards to be flexible.
Nobody has mentioned splitting the cards before gluing them together,
There is a "2 Way Glue" called ZIG (available online) that has the advantage of being either 'Permanent' or 'Temporary' (like a Post-It) depending on whether you use it wet or allow it to dry. I use it on envelopes so that they can be opened but then resealed for another performance. Not cheap but certainly versatile.
It depends on how you want to use the card, but I'd definitely recommend splitting and re-gluing rather than just sticking two together (card splitting is far easier than you probably think). I'd recommend Elmer's 'No Wrinkle' rubber cement, I know lots of people swear by glue sticks, but every time I've tried the resulting card just doesn't quite feel the way it should.
By the way, if you are having trouble card splitting, DM me and I can give you the link for a video I made about it a while back (if I posted he it would probably be removed)