(Close Window)
Topic: Revamp - Nicholas Lawrence
This looks great:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14588
[quote]On Nov 21, 2020, thecromulent wrote:
This looks great:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14588 [/quote]
Agreed. It looks terrific. I wonder how well the gimmick will hold up with repeated use.
Assumed US currency only. Looks good.
Looks good !
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 22, 2020 02:58PM)
[quote]On Nov 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Assumed US currency only. Looks good. [/quote]

Thanks Pegasus, It comes with US $1 Gimmick but can be made up with your currency. Iíve made them In Japanese Yen, British pounds and Mexican Pesoís.. they all worked great. Iíd imagine Canadian money would work too, even though they have the window on their bills and un-tearable plastic.. Iíd simply make it apart of the presentation.
ďThereís been a lot of counterfeit bills around, you can tell if it tears easily...Ē
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 22, 2020 03:00PM)
^^^ the DIY needed for custom bills isnít that difficult. Itís worth it and will last quite a long time once made up.
I ordered dude, better be great.

David Wax
Looks similar to Deposit by Marcus Eddy, though Deposit doesnít allow for examination of the bill by spectators.

Jim
I have deposit & for the restoration you have to wave your hand over the torn area. Revamped looks more visual the torn corner seems to just visual jump to the torn area & the bill is restored ! 40.00 though hmmm.....
[quote]On Nov 23, 2020, tophatter wrote:
I have deposit & for the restoration you have to wave your hand over the torn area. Revamped looks more visual the torn corner seems to just visual jump to the torn area & the bill is restored ! 40.00 though hmmm..... [/quote]

Indeed. Order with caution. Would love to know how effective this is with Sterling currency in that itís transparent and very plastic.
[quote]On Nov 22, 2020, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
[quote]On Nov 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Assumed US currency only. Looks good. [/quote]

Thanks Pegasus, It comes with US $1 Gimmick but can be made up with your currency. Iíve made them In Japanese Yen, British pounds and Mexican Pesoís.. they all worked great. Iíd imagine Canadian money would work too, even though they have the window on their bills and un-tearable plastic.. Iíd simply make it apart of the presentation.
ďThereís been a lot of counterfeit bills around, you can tell if it tears easily...Ē [/quote]

How about Euros?
I took the bait and will report as soon as it arrives . . . . I have to have more things to do in my mirror and amaze myself during these COVID times . . .
Curious about this one myself wonder if it can be used with extreme burn locked and loaded
If you watch the second trailer you can figure it out (sort of) but honestly still looks great and the method that I am guessing seems quite practical. Look forward to receiving it.
ď The bill you tear is the bill they examine. ď

Hmmm...
[quote]On Nov 23, 2020, Sophocles wrote:

Hmmm... [/quote]

Yes but my speculation is that your one hand will be dirty. Just speculating....
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 23, 2020 03:42PM)
[quote]On Nov 23, 2020, Sophocles wrote:

Hmmm... [/quote]

Someone mentioned the price above... ď$40 hmmmĒ .... is that expensive for a handmade prop? Also youríe learning the secret that another human designed. Not Only that, if visually restoring a bill isnít worth the price but maybe the fact that itís completely and instantly examined?! This has never been done before and Is what give merit for release.. I think if you believe $40 is expensive for a brand new unseen effect you donít value magic secrets and the process of creating magic.

So, Let me comment about the quoted comment above. When I said ď The bill you tear is the bill they examineĒ itís essentially true.. do I actually tear a bill? No. Itís a pre torn gimmick that blends in with a normal bill, which is then removed effortlessly with nothing sticky ect utilizing my signature dismount , as seen with a few of my pre-existing products. So the bill they see torn in their mind is the bill they examine because itís the one I was holding (Fake Tear with real torn gimmick) the entire time without ever needed to switch it before the examination. Though, if you wanted you can also borrow a bill and even though you switch and give them back a different bill, and they will have No clue.. this is a very strong route, when you borrow a bill you simply execute an under the wallet switch for your pre-set Revamp bill/gimmick, perform the effect and then give them back an entirely different bill without having to switch it again.. this being very convincing because in their eyes they seen you tear their bill and very cleanly hand it back to them without switching. Yes youíll need to palm the gimmick which is a little bigger than a mini playing card..

An under used or thought of application with Revamp for the real workers out there: Borrow a Bill from the audience, you already need to switch the bill anyways to maybe match a serial number or something.. so switch for a Revamp setup bill.. Now you can say ďI wanna make sure your bill isnít counterfeitĒ proceed to tear the bill and before they know it, quick restored the bill... if someone is on the stage or standing close to you casually have them hold on to the bill (Essentially examining) while you fetch your next prop ect.. this is one of those random moments that make you seem just that much more interesting and magical.. as a magician itís important to take advantage of any situation and also make it more interesting and magical..
Thanks NicholasLawrenceMagic. No need to defend the price. For performers it is fine IMHO. The value to me of this effect is in concert with anything else I will do with a bill. Much better as a "test" to see if the bill is real, and then vanish the entire bill and appear in lemon, or produce the serial number, etc. To that end it is an unbelievable magical moment. Thank you for joining in the convo here.
Agree with Star Manager.
And Nicholas of course
Ordered this today from penguin. Looks great. The price point is just right in my opinion. Iím sure the gimmick is well made and I can already tell I will use this often in my bar work. Itís a perfect visual, quick effect bar patrons and many others love. Thanks Nicholas. Canít wait to start performing this.

Richard
NYC
Iíll go ahead and order it why not 🤷‍♂️
This does look really good and I truly love a lot of Lawrence's products and his thinking behind them. Maybe I should buy myself a Christmas 🎄 present!
Yes RNK I was thinking the same thing. Marry Christmas to me today.
Nicholas's won't release it unless it's a top shelf method. This is one of his best.
Had no desire to buy this but because I like Nicholas so much, I had to order.
Is it just me or does the moment of the restoration, the toss looks off. It's like you are going to toss the bill from hand to hand but changes your mind last second and doesn't toss it?! For some reason, it just looks off to me.
[quote]On Nov 24, 2020, Themagicguy4 wrote:
Is it just me or does the moment of the restoration, the toss looks off. It's like you are going to toss the bill from hand to hand but changes your mind last second and doesn't toss it?! For some reason, it just looks off to me. [/quote]

The last restoration in the demo is done with one hand, no tossing. So you can chose not to toss it if you don't want to.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 25, 2020 01:56AM)
[quote]On Nov 24, 2020, Themagicguy4 wrote:
Is it just me or does the moment of the restoration, the toss looks off. It's like you are going to toss the bill from hand to hand but changes your mind last second and doesn't toss it?! For some reason, it just looks off to me. [/quote]

Itís not for everybody, I learned long ago you canít please everyone. Keep in mind this is a manually powered gimmick and that allows you to get creative on how you handle the tear and restoration. I didnít teach this but for the more mysterious handling you can just wave your had past the tear.. just another alternative handling.
Nicolas, thank you for participating here and giving us color on what looks fantastic. V generous of you. Itís on my short list.
If you donít mind me asking, when you give the specs the g*****k and show itís fully restored do you have to take it back relatively quickly? Could they figure this out if they examined this for more than a few seconds?
Thanks and good luck with this effect.
Sophocles
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Sophocles wrote:
Nicolas, thank you for participating here and giving us color on what looks fantastic. V generous of you. Itís on my short list.
If you donít mind me asking, when you give the specs the g*****k and show itís fully restored do you have to take it back relatively quickly? Could they figure this out if they examined this for more than a few seconds?
Sophocles [/quote]

I am pretty sure you don't hand the bill over to the spec with the g*&&^ck attached, I believe it is removed first and p*&^#d after the restoration.
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Sophocles wrote:
Sophocles [/quote]

I am pretty sure you don't hand the bill over to the spec with the g*&&^ck attached, I believe it is removed first and p*&^#d after the restoration. [/quote]

I skimmed through the video last night, RNK is correct. The sneaky stuff is removed and the bill is clean when handed to the spectator.
How intensive would this be to make to gimmick in plastic polymer Canadian bills?
Is the gimmick delicate ? just want to know if you carry it in your wallet will it hold up well.
Itís made from movie money but I donít think a wallet would put much stress on it. On the other hand not difficult to make your own once you have the instructions
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Xcath1 wrote:
Itís made from movie money but I donít think a wallet would put much stress on it. On the other hand not difficult to make your own once you have the instructions [/quote]

Agree
Movie money is paper not like a real bill & will rip very easy I wonder if you cam make the gimmick with a real bill ?
[quote]On Nov 26, 2020, tophatter wrote:
Movie money is paper not like a real bill & will rip very easy I wonder if you cam make the gimmick with a real bill ? [/quote]

Yes, this can be made with a real bill. It's detailed in the video how to make it.
I ordered this yesterday, and I watched the video. Looks like a totally solid method, and a clever, practical handling. I think I prefer the alternate restore, which looks even more magical to me. Bravo, Nicholas.

I am, however, pretty disappointed that it comes made up with a fake bill. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell how well the fake bills will match real ones, but I would really much prefer to do it with real bills. I would have gladly paid the extra few bucks to cover authentic materials. It will be a shame if this cut corner is what keeps people from performing a gem of an effect.

Evan
[quote]On Nov 26, 2020, thecromulent wrote:
I ordered this yesterday, and I watched the video. Looks like a totally solid method, and a clever, practical handling. I think I prefer the alternate restore, which looks even more magical to me. Bravo, Nicholas.

I am, however, pretty disappointed that it comes made up with a fake bill. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't tell how well the fake bills will match real ones, but I would really much prefer to do it with real bills. I would have gladly paid the extra few bucks to cover authentic materials. It will be a shame if this cut corner is what keeps people from performing a gem of an effect.

Evan [/quote]

I don't like the idea of having to clean up after right away, so I'm holding off on this for now.
But, I agree it is weird about the gimmick and the materials reportedly used on it. I wonder if the one in the trailer is the one they're selling, or if the one in the trailer is one made with real materials?

If it doesn't look close, and it's a night/day difference then they're really selling just a template at this point for you to update on your own.

Anybody already have it, and have thoughts on how closely it matches, or doesn't?
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, scott0819 wrote:
How intensive would this be to make to gimmick in plastic polymer Canadian bills? [/quote]

Can anybody that has seen the instruction answer this? Thanks.
Really for 40.00 with a fake movie magic bill I don't think so thanks the magic Cafť for your reviews Um Out !
Scott0819 - I have seen the tutorial but not the bill yet. Tutorial makes this clear that you can make these up and it is not extensive. You can do it in about 10 min with some Amazon simple supplies. The instruction is clear and the gimmick is not something I have seen even near this level of thinking. The effect is clean and should be a fooler with any currency.

Tophatter - I believe this comes with real US Dollar not plastic. It looks flawless close up on video. It has some tiny angle issues but nothing a guy who has 3,000 posts here will have even a second thought about. Even before getting the gimmick I can say this is a winner for me based on what I see on the video.

Hope this is helpful gentlemen!
It is not made up with a real bill. It looks very close but a I would consider remaking it for liver performance.
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, Xcath1 wrote:
It is not made up with a real bill. It looks very close but a I would consider remaking it for liver performance. [/quote]

A few recent items I've gotten (Intersection, Blade, etc.) have come with completely made-up gimmicks, plus materials and instructions to make another set. It's really too bad that Penguin didn't include an extra set of the bits and pieces, knowing that many, many of us would want to make up a set with real bills.

Of course I still think that the best solution would have been making it with the real stuff in the first place.

Evan
Im confused so revamped doesn't come with a real gimmick you need to make your own?
[quote]On Nov 27, 2020, aheller5 wrote:
Im confused so revamped doesn't come with a real gimmick you need to make your own? [/quote]

It comes fully made-up but with a fake, but realistic US dollar. You can make up your own with a real dollar but then you will need to construct your own gimmick bill by de-constructing the pre-made gimmick.
In the demonstration video it looks like a real bill is being used is that so ? If it's the fake bill it looks real . The effct looks great only reason I said I am out
cause I don't wanna deconstruct the gimmick bill supplied to make a real bill . That's why I said for 40.00 it would have been nice to supply the real bill ready to go !
thanks for your feedback Starmanager.
The bill that Nick Locapo demos with is I assume the fake bill as he takes it right out of the box. I don't know what Nick is using as he doesn't say. I mix up my Movie Money with real bills all the time
I am adding something. My previous review was in error. The contents of the package are a gimmick made a fake bill and an additional fake bill to practice the routine. The gimmick can of course be used with a real bill and that is all the spectators will touch at the end. The fake bill gimmick matches a real bill fairly closely and I thing would pass. If you watch how Nicholas does a lot of his tricks, the props are always in a fluid non rushed motion. No sense that he is hiding anything but no time to dwell on a small discrepancy. Presented this way I think this is an excellent effect.
I believe it comes with the gimmick pre made with a real dollar and also comes with a fake dollar bill so you can start to practice. Then you can take the real dollar gimmick it comes with and add it to a real dollar to perform. Itís super easy to add the gimmick. Looks fantastic. I should have mine tomorrow.
Nope. It comes with a movie money bill and a pre-made gimmick also made with movie money. The gimmick really is clever and is something new as far as Iím aware. No idea how Nicholas comes up with such unique gimmicks. I havenít played with it yet but Iím hoping the gimmick matches a regular dollar close enough so that I donít have to make another gimmick. They walk you through how to make it, but it doesnít look fun. And you will have to destroy the sent gimmick if you want to make your own. For the price, would have been nice if they threw in enough spare parts to make another gimmick. Teaching is clear and Nicholas shows a few different handlings. There are some angle issues so it will take practice to get the handling smooth so you can cover all the necessary angles. Not hard but definitely not self working. The end bill is completely normal and can even be signed if you want to give it away. Reset only takes about ten seconds but canít be done in front of people.

Overall, if you like what you see in the trailer, this delivers as advertised. Will have to play with if a bit to see if I like it enough to use it.
Message: Posted by: SlightlyTipsyMagic (Nov 29, 2020 12:39AM)
Boy Howdy,
Revamp is as smooth as Tupelo Honey! Pure eye candy. Really, the props provided are pretty good, a bit glossy,
but so doable live or virtual. Iím not going to reverse engineer this project into real money, but if I was so inclined, Iíd just buy Nickís magnet set for 10 bucks and start from scratch.
But Iíll say this, in my opinion this shouldíve been made with a Bicycle playing card for the global magic community. Same impact, minus the currency issues.
Thanks for the tip slightly tipsy!!! Good hint on how to do it. I would prefer to do this in real money. I agree with some above. This is kind of steep for the price, since the gimmick is fake. HOw can a fake paper gimmick last long?
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 30, 2020 02:12AM)
I wanna say I really appreciate how most of the people in this forum see the value with Revamp and also my continued momentum of creating new methods, concepts and effects and sharing them with the community ..thatís really considerate of you, as for those who is worried about the price, thinking itís ďSteepĒ..I have a simple solution for you, donít buy it. Though Iíd like to say I think $40 is an extremely fair price when learning a brand new concept and effect that comes ready to go inside nice packaging ect.. keep in mind, Not once, ever in the history of magic has there ever been a torn and restored anything that ends as clean as Revamp.. I believe that should be valued and appreciated.

Also, letís think about what you can do with $40 these days.. maybe take your wife to the movies and pay for 2 tickets and 2 drinks, maybe?! Compare that ideology when comparing the price of a magic trick you can perform for years to come.

Yes, Revamp comes with Prop money, though that wasnít my decision, I understand why penguin decided to choose prop money. I donít really think itís that big of a deal to be honest.. you pay a fair price, you learn the secret, a quality gimmick is included as well detailed instruction on how to make your own.. you practice the hell out of it, then whatever you do with it.. maybe perform it for social media or Zoom show ect.. (thatís kinda expected right now considering the Covid-19 situation) but if you wanted to use the gimmick and prop Bill included for LIVE performance instead of making your own with whatever currency or denomination which you Totally could.. maybe a good presentation is (counterfeit money detection) you could say you found a counterfeit bill and you can show the the best way to detect its fake.. tear the bill and say how counterfeit money is always made from a different paper than authentic currency, if you tear a real bill Ďyou canít do this (quickly restore it) then immediately hand it to your spectator to examine. It makes absolutely No sense like most magic presentation but its extremely entertaining to say the least.. for anyone who doesnít feel like making their own custom Revamp thatís a great presentation that works great with the prop bill included.
I got mine on sat and love the hell out of this gimmick. Looks like special effects. I will make one out of a real dollar bill and it looks pretty easy to make even know I suck out of arts and crafts. Well worth the 40 bucks.
[quote]On Nov 30, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
I got mine on sat and love the hell out of this gimmick. Looks like special effects. I will make one out of a real dollar bill and it looks pretty easy to make even know I suck out of arts and crafts. Well worth the 40 bucks. [/quote]

Great news Mr. Effecto! I had slim doubts that this wouldn't be good coming form Nicolas but thanks for confirming! Your opinion is definitely valued here and judging by your post REVAMP must be really good!
Received this today. The gimmick is very well made and even though itís made from Fake money I like the idea of demonstrating what counterfeit money looks like and how to spot it.

The construction of a new gimmick with your own currency looks quite simple and shouldnít take more than 15 minutes.

Everything is well explained and itís a beautiful effect. Looks like a special effects.

It will take practice but any effect worth performing takes practice. I highly recommend Revamp. You wonít be disappointed.

Richard
NYC
I am not impressed. Yes the gimmick is good but why on earth could they have not made it with a real dollar bill? Outrageous.

It would have cost a whole extra dollar to make.

Iím sure all of us who will want to remake this would certainly rather have paid a dollar extra to have this made in real currency.

Or wait for it....

Make it with a real dollar to start with and leave it at 40.

I love his creativity and have bought all of his releases this far, but if we continue to support releases like this soon it will the normal.

In its present form even as good as it looks I give it a 3 out of 5.

It would have been a 5 star if I didnít have to try and remake it.

Would I have bought it if I had known it would arrive with fake currency? No .
Iím in the UK so itís probably been answered already but does it work with plastic notes ? I am happy with the counterfeit explanation but would like to possibly make an alternative . Nicholas always creates wonderful gimmicks and him and Mickael Chatelain are the Gods in gimmick creation so you are very unlikely to be disappointed imho Gaz 😊
It might be for legal reasons that they couldn't use real money, as they would have to destroy currency
You can do that legally , with a name like Bill I thought you would know that ? I burn a real note in every set I do and I did the Police AGM last year and I never got nicked 😂 Gaz 😊
Really surprised that people are nitpicking over the fact that prop money was used in the provided example (ok, not really surprised, its the Cafť...). The provided example I imagine was constructed with prop money instead of actual currency to save on production cost. Due to the nature of the prepped bill, 3 bills are needed. 3 prop bills cost less then 3 actual bills.

Personally, I don't mind that the provided example uses prop money, as I don't mind constructing the needed gimmick in the currency of my choice. Also overtime the gimmick is going to need to be refreshed anyways.
Itís not nitpicking

The currency is obviously fake.

For the price of 40 dollars they should have included in the description that it was fake currency. Or just charged a dollar or three more if they had to so we wouldnít have to remake this right out of the package.

Wonder why they didnít?

Oh I think I know less people would have bought it,

I used to have a magic shop and I can tell you that if I had to demo this in person it would not fly off the shelves for 40 dollars like it will for Penguin.

I love his magic and itís worth something for his creativity but I wish I hadnít bought this.

I never come on here and complain but for me this is the purchase I regret most this year. Not because itís a bad effect but for the price point and for me anyway that I wonít be able to use it as it is.

I had given it a 3 out of 5 but the more I look at this and consider what it cost to produce I give it a 2.5.

Sorry you donít have to agree we all are entitled to our opinions.

Iíve been buying magic for 30 years and while I donít have the creative mind of a Nicholas Lawrence I do know that in its present form itís not worth what it cost to me.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 30, 2020 08:11PM)
[quote]On Nov 30, 2020, Marvelous wrote:
Itís not nitpicking

The currency is obviously fake.

For the price of 40 dollars they should have included in the description that it was fake currency. Or just charged a dollar or three more if they had to so we wouldnít have to remake this right out of the package.

Wonder why they didnít?

Oh I think I know less people would have bought it,

I used to have a magic shop and I can tell you that if I had to demo this in person it would not fly off the shelves for 40 dollars like it will for Penguin.

I love his magic and itís worth something for his creativity but I wish I hadnít bought this.

I never come on here and complain but for me this is the purchase I regret most this year. Not because itís a bad effect but for the price point and for me anyway that I wonít be able to use it as it is.

I had given it a 3 out of 5 but the more I look at this and consider what it cost to produce I give it a 2.5.

Sorry you donít have to agree we all are entitled to our opinions.

Iíve been buying magic for 30 years and while I donít have the creative mind of a Nicholas Lawrence I do know that in its present form itís not worth what it cost to me. [/quote]

Harsh man,. Clearly youíre upset about the prop money but to be honest, youíre one of the few whoís so upset that they are giving it a 2.5 ... I get it your upset but itís NOT the end of the world, you paid $40... the average price for a handmade magic prop of this size ect.. I understand they could have made this in real currency but something to consider is it takes 3 bills minimum per unit, then when there are errors in the manufacturing process which there will be it the turns 3 bills into possible 4+ ..... another issue is the lack of consistency with real US bills, theyíre worse than bicycle playing cards when it comes to the borders.. because of this issue penguin would end up with numerous real bills cut in half and having to be taped back together just to deposit hundred of cut in half bills to the bank (which nobody should have to deal with) these bills are cut and canít be used and it would be extremely difficult to match thousands of bills... that also adds to labor time, this is all considered when manufacturing a couple thousand units..

Iím gonna say this, the gimmick provided is not useless.. even to you, youíre just mad.. I get it. At the very least you have learned a secret that fooled you, also you have purchased a template to make your own with US bills.. Also, if you consider giving my counterfeit presentation with the prop bill a shot you might like that better! Who knows until you step out of your comfort zone and try something new.. I appreciate your support but loosen up man. Itís really NOT a big deal like youíre making it out to be..
The prop bill is not ideal. I can't see anybody calling attention to it as a fake as part of their presentation. In a perfect world, it would come from Penguin made with real bills. But barring that, the package should come with a set of supplies to make up another set, as Blade does.
Really George Iglesias twister magic always has the prop constructed with a real dollar bill, dollar to credit card dollar to gum etc ... it's not illegal! That is exactly why for 40.00 I did not buy this (Always wait for reviwes on the Cafť at least two weeks) I like Deposit by Marcus Eddie download is 9.95 it fits the bill peffect "No pun Intended"
Https://youtu.be/7lXERqZJCbQ this works fine for me !
There should be no need for a counterfeit presentation ! That's A Cop Out "Torn & restored bill real bill rip it & restore it DONE" looks like In The Demo Video A Real Bill"
Just my opinion here ..
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Nov 30, 2020 10:50PM)
[quote]On Nov 30, 2020, tophatter wrote:
There should be no need for a counterfeit presentation ! That's A Cop Out "Torn & restored bill real bill rip it & restore it DONE" looks like In The Demo Video A Real Bill"
Just my opinion here .. [/quote]

You know what they say about opinions? We all have one... Nothing against Marcus and his effect but thereís a reason itís only $10.. I was actually on the shoot when filming his effect and actually added to download and improved the method, Marcus is a big fan of Revamp. A skilled creator/magician could tell you the difference between the 2! Like the old saying goes... you get what you pay for! Youíre upset it didnít come with a real bill? I was slightly.. but Iím over it and look at the bright side, youíre still given a template for a revolutionary method, something you can make at home yourself easily.. I learned an important lesson years ago, You canít please everyone! Iím not loosing any sleep.. thereís hundreds of people extremely excited to perform Revamp as is and many more who have No issues with making their own out of whatever currency you have..

Shameless plug: I sell magnets & Tyvek receipts on my website designed specifically for Revamp DIY 😉

Just another option...
[quote]
Shameless plug: I sell magnets & Tyvek receipts on my website designed specifically for Revamp DIY 😉

Just another option... [/quote]

The first page your comment "removed effortlessly with nothing sticky ect utilizing my signature dismount". Do these receipts use the same? hahah
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 1, 2020 09:16AM)
[quote]On Dec 1, 2020, magicmind wrote:
[quote]

Just another option... [/quote]

The first page your comment "removed effortlessly with nothing sticky ect utilizing my signature dismount". Do these receipts use the same? hahah [/quote]

Itís the exact same effect, concept ect.. these receipts are just another option for aesthetics. I sell the magnets and receipts as separate products on my site.
Find Me Here, Instagram: NicholasLawrencePresents
It does look good but living outside the US and having had a bad customer experience with Nicholas in the past it will also be a pass for me. All the best for the release though! Will stay tuned in case it gets made in GBP/EUR and distributed in Europe (also not a fan of fake currency, people will tell and then the trick is over, it will scream gimmick to them), again it looks great well done!
Message: Posted by: SlightlyTipsyMagic (Dec 1, 2020 07:41PM)
What came first? The egg or the chicken? Revamp or Reborn? https://youtu.be/ynJXucSyp9M
Message: Posted by: Seth Kristopher Race (Dec 1, 2020 08:48PM)
Seth Race here from P3!

Just wanted to chime in and say a few things, Nicholas is correct by stating ďsomething to consider is it takes 3 bills minimum per unit, then when there are errors in the manufacturing process which there will be it the turns 3 bills into possible 4+ ..... another issue is the lack of consistency with real US bills, theyíre worse than bicycle playing cards when it comes to the borders..Ē Artwork needs to line up for things to look good in performance, and on US currency when the bills are minted the borders are slightly skewed from note to note.

Another important factor is exchange rates, just because we have a $1 note in America, other countries donít have such a small bill. So ď$1 dollar extra to make the gimmickĒ as some have mentioned doesnít apply to those in the UK, it actually would take £15-£30 to make 1 unit depending on what the smallest note is, either a £5 or £10. Now that is just one foreign currency, how many more would have to be offered? This is another reason for the inclusion of prop money.

Many other great effects have been released using fake money such as E=MC2 by Nemo and Hanson Chien, Paperheart by Patrick Kun, Split by Yves Doumergue, Gregory Wilsonís Foreign Affair, Stacked by Chris Dearman and Uday, Flash Cash by Alan Wong, etc. Some use fake paper prop money, and some use Tyvek or P-Tex. These factors donít take away from the magic or performance. Those effects still look great and many have great reviews.

The method for Revamp makes it look like real life magic, it doesn't matter what youíre tearing. I think for $40, what you receive is great for you to perform with whether itís on Social Media or in person(post-covid). It also allows you to practice this effect immediately right out of the box without DIY first, so that is definitely something to consider as well.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 1, 2020 09:18PM)
[quote]On Dec 1, 2020, SlightlyTipsyMagic wrote:
What came first? The egg or the chicken? Revamp or Reborn? https://youtu.be/ynJXucSyp9M [/quote]

Good question and a great opportunity to highlight the theft of my effects Titan & Revamp.. itís the same exact concept and main construction of my effect Titan.
I published Titan in 2018 also taught in my 2.5 Penguin Lecture in 2017. Interestingly enough Reborn released 1 day after Revamp... how convenient..

I was the first to publish this concept and not that it matters but also probably the girder to invent this concept, I have videos from 2014 on my Instagram alone.. not to mention videos that predate that on my YouTube.

TOMS should be respectful and remove Reborn.. unfortunately they wonít respond to my emails or DM..

The reason they wonít ever respond is because I believe they are a shell for Sansminds.. whom changed its name to TOMS so now thereís not actual Person to blame for theft ect..
Totally agree with N.L. on this one, TOMS is definitely a shell for Sansmind. It's totally apparent, to me anyway.
[quote]On Dec 1, 2020, RNK wrote:
Totally agree with N.L. on this one, TOMS is definitely a shell for Sansmind. It's totally apparent, to me anyway. [/quote]

It definitely is apparent. Same people in the trailers, same products, same creators and unoriginal products. I hope they take it down because it looks identical to this and they (sansminds) has a history of ripping him and other people off.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 3, 2020 04:15PM)
A friendly reminder if anyone is looking to make their own Revamp I have magnets & Tyvek receipts available on my website. A receipt is a great organic option for Revamp, Iíll also be stocking Mini 7-eleven Receipts soon, these mini receipts make the effect slightly more visual and easier to manage for people with smaller hands as well.
When the world comes back I will print my info on fake 100ís, use those for the trick and hand them out.
Iíve had mine since Monday and only today re-made the gimmick with a genuine bill. It took 40 minutes. Hardest part was separating the magnets from the tape and making sure they were properly oriented. The illusion works so much better with a real bill. I havenít shown it to many people yet as Iím still practicing. But the few who have seen it were shocked at the flash restoration.

Highly recommended

Richard
NYC
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 4, 2020 07:13PM)
[quote]On Dec 3, 2020, aposjf12 wrote:
Iíve had mine since Monday and only today re-made the gimmick with a genuine bill. It took 40 minutes. Hardest part was separating the magnets from the tape and making sure they were properly oriented. The illusion works so much better with a real bill. I havenít shown it to many people yet as Iím still practicing. But the few who have seen it were shocked at the flash restoration.

Highly recommended

Richard
NYC [/quote]

Good to hear youíre enjoying Revamp! Customizing your own Revamp can take 15-45 minutes for some, Iím glad you were able to make your own and have had great success with it so far!

For anyone Not interested in making your own gimmicks, I have Stock of (REVAMP: USD & REVAMP:RECEIPT) on my website..
The receipts are made of Durable Tyvek and the USD version is constructed out of Real US Currency.

Message Me for details..
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
For anyone Not interested in making your own gimmicks, I have Stock of (REVAMP: USD...
[/quote]

Well this just went from frustrating to insulting. I'm glad to see that a USD version is available, and that it is available for the same price as the prop-money version. But as an "early adopter," I'm now left with something that I never in a million years would have bought, faced with the options that purchasers now have. The prop-money version just makes no sense. It's not good enough of a fake to hand out (unless you want to use a presentation that undermines the organic nature of a dollar bill), and the idea that the supplied gimmick is just a template to make your own is negated by the fact that there were no extra magnets included in the package. I'm left with something that I simply don't want to perform with, and that it's going to be a real hassle to reconstruct (I don't even know what thickness of magnets would be best). Nicholas, you have alluded to the fact that some of these calls were Penguin's, and I am afraid that whatever arrangement you made with them is going to damage your well-deserved reputation for creating and selling practical, clever, and beautifully-constructed gimmicks. This is a great effect and a solid method, but I can't imagine anybody not being a bit disappointed with the prop.

I know this might sound a little over the top, but I am just kicking myself for buying when I did. If I had known that I could have waited a week or so and gotten a better version of this terrific effect...

It looks like Penguin isn't selling the USD version (yet?), and you are only selling the USD version. I wonder, in the absence of Penguin's marketing machine, which one would sell more. I have a pretty good guess.

Evan
It took me over and hour and a half to re make this with real money and it still doesnít function like it should but the fake currency it came with for me was unusable.

The bill I received even had a misalignment from the start I had to correct. So much for quality control at Penguin. Yet the reviews are all 5 stars.

Just to put that in perspective I was able to put together his effect Evolve with no problems and now they make Revolve.

I also assembled a Head Rush illusion from Peter Loughran and it functioned like it should at least when I ordered it I knew I was going to have to do arts and crafts to an extent.

I will try it with his receipts and magnets he sells on his site and give that a honest review.

Though I am worried as I hate buying from creators directly as they sometimes are slow to ship and fulfill orders especially since a couple people on here said Nicholas didnít do right on their orders.

Hopefully my experience will be like buying from David Regal who always makes sure to get your items out and communicate with you and not like with Cosmo or Sankey or David Forrest or Justin Miller just to name a few who took my money and either never sent or replied to my messages.

Nicholas is a creative thinker and if these were all made correctly aligned and with real currency it would be a contender for trick of the year

I hope I will receive the receipts and magnets and will be fair in my review if I do.
Makes No sense you pay 40.00 for this trick then you have to spend more money on his website to fix the trick right . The Blurb should have stated " Fake Bill supplied "
In the demo video to sell the trick looks like a real bill is used hmmmm......
I know itís ridiculous , just sell the effect made properly and people will pay the right money for it . Otherwise state itís made with fake comic money as a prototype so you can make your own . Especially when you are selling the correct stuff to make the gimmick on your site , it makes no sense unless you state it clearly and then include what you need to make your own without destroying the play comic money it comes with ( that may even be misaligned ) . Nicholas is a great creator , but jeez the best creators seem to be some of the worst businessman or at least have the least business sense and customer service imho Gaz 😊
It continues to amaze me that magicians still, still fall for Penguins absolute BS. They know they can get away with it and will continue to do so until you all get a grip and stop buying from them. Only then will they, maybe, change their tactics and stop taking you for fools.
I ordered this though I haven't received it yet. I agree that Penguin should have mentioned in the ad copy that the provided gimmick is made from a fake bill and that a template is included to make one with a real bill. They should revise it on the website now.

BTW, I can not complain myself as I ordered mine after reading all the complaints here. I just figured I'll practice with the fake and make one from a real bill for performing. :D

Thanks!

Jim
In the second video, they show the gimmick and thatís where I was ďwait a minute, that dollar looks offĒ...
I do understand Penguins point regarding production....
Probably the best would have been to offer 2 versions: the gimmicked fake bill or a playing card. That way people could have chosen and more sales I think.
I ordered Revamp from Penguin the evening before last and the next morning I got the email from Nicholas that heís now selling the effect made with real currency if purchased directly from him on his website. Kind of frustrating. I agree with Gaz that often the best magic creators make terrible business people. As evidenced by the fact that Nicholas decided to charge the same price for the real currency version. Iím sure he thinks that he is doing purchasers a favor by doing so but in reality it comes across as a further slap in the face to those early adopters. A more experienced businessperson would have been able to anticipate that.

But Iím not too upset about it because I do understand the difficulty of producing these on a mass scale with real currency and dealing with all the variations of different bills. Besides, I usually end up making my own gaffs anyway whenever I can because Iím an ultra picky SOB and anyone cranking out dozens of these gaffs is just not going to have the time or patience to make one in the way I will when making my own.

But Nicholas is a good guy and heís super smart and I know he is learning from his mistakes. This is a great routine and gaff so I thank Nicholas for his dedication to creativity. Iím happy he released it and happy I bought it. You can learn business acumen but you canít learn to be creative and talented in the way that Nicholas is.
Maybe he will offer a deal to buy the real dollar bill if you already own the fake bill by showing proof!!!!
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 5, 2020 11:02PM)
Hey guys! Let me start off by apologizing for offering Revamp USD as a Physical product, for whoever was affected... Penguin believes they were or would be heavily affected by this, they quickly contacted me and had me remove it from my online store immediately.

Even Now Iím honesty confused why it was an issue, When comparing the traffic of a multi million dollar magic company like PenguinMagic to my small Shopify store it seems silly to think that they would have an issue with me offering a Custom Revamp option... especially because I felt I was doing everything in the most honest and transparent way possible, though it goes against mine and most contractual agreements, vaguely justified...I purchased my own Revamp units and simply decided I could replace the units with USD gimmicks and sell them at the same price. I didnít think it would have cause an issue, I wanted to offer this to at least some of the buyers who support me directly knowing I couldnít serve the entire community something I was 100% proud of...

This idea all stemmed from Me truly Not being happy with the Prop Bills used for Revamp.. I was NOT told about the decision to use prop bills until they were well into production and most of the gimmicks were already built. I was upset, I felt left out of important details which I think we can agree is a crucial element to this project, I knew this was going to be an issue for some but tried to make the best out of the situation at hand..

If I had of Known or was involved I would have come up with a solution to offer Penguin so they could have produced a better product to match the wonderful design of this gimmick, which Iím still so incredibly proud of. If I was involved and was told they didnít want to manufacture using real bills I would have offered my Tyvek Receipt design instead, while also teaching how to make your own with any bill/note ect..

As most of you know I am a magic creator but iím also a consultant.. What does that mean?! Not only do I consult for TV shows or Live shows but I can offer help to ANYBODY who needs it, including customized magic youíve purchased and prefer a different style or replacement. I have listed on my website a ďConsultingĒ link in the menu.. this makes it easy for anyone who wants anything made custom for them to reach out and Iíll do my best to make sure youíre needs are met. This is a legal and private loophole that allows me to serve my patrons in the best way possible.

I feel better talking about my experience and explaining it those who will read this, Iím Not perfect.. Iím doing my best and simply trying to make a career out of something I love more than anything in life..Creating Magic
Nicholas I appreciate your response.

I hope something can be worked out with Penguin.

I wish they would at the very least allow you to sell the receipts and magnets as an add on directly through Penguin if they see we purchased Revamp from them.

I honestly would feel better about Penguin at this point if they would allow you to sell them on their site.

I said if mine had arrived properly aligned and with real currency it could be trick of the year.

As it stands I look forward to buying the receipts and magnets and giving it a try.

I wish you the best and hopefully Penguin will find a way to make this great effect even better by carrying your receipts and magnets on their site and explain in the description that you received a fake bill with the effect.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 6, 2020 12:43AM)
[quote]On Dec 6, 2020, Marvelous wrote:
Nicholas I appreciate your response.

I hope something can be worked out with Penguin.

I wish they would at the very least allow you to sell the receipts and magnets as an add on directly through Penguin if they see we purchased Revamp from them.

I honestly would feel better about Penguin at this point if they would allow you to sell them on their site.

I said if mine had arrived properly aligned and with real currency it could be trick of the year.

As it stands I look forward to buying the receipts and magnets and giving it a try.

I wish you the best and hopefully Penguin will find a way to make this great effect even better by carrying your receipts and magnets on their site and explain in the description that you received a fake bill with the effect. [/quote]

Well put, I appreciate your kindness.. as you mentioned above, my magnets and tyvek receipts are still available and will continue to be available. I plan on figuring out what else I can offer on my website that can potentially add Bonus features or items that expire with my releases, replacement parts ect.. this is more than making money for me. I truly want to contribute great magic and I also want to serve the community the best way I can.. Iím trying to stand out for more than my visuals you can rely on..
Very sorry to hear about the above situation with Penguin.
I wish you all the best Nicolas.
Thatís why when ever possible donít sell your effects or rights to dealers . They will change things once they have bought the rights if they can save a dollar , I have seen many an effect that when you get it you have to re make yourself adding things to make it a lot better . I spoke to the creator of such an effect and he told me that is how I do it , that is the idea they bought but it takes them too long to make it like that so that just add a short card instead of making the real gimmicks etc . Of course it then looks with the creators name on the effect that this was how he created it when infact they have butchered the real cleverness of the overall effect . I would say in over 50% of the effects I buy I remake the gimmick almost immediately , stronger , better and often with some tweaks that you think why didnít they do that in the first place Gaz 😊 ps Great post from Nicholas that explains everything and has massively put me off Penguin
Nicholas, thanks so much for your openness here. Penguin has really put you in a tough spot.

Evan
Well, I got my unit and could not be more pleased. I had some m*****s on hand and also constructed a gimmick using an actual dollar bill (3 in fact). I like the legit dollar, but I also like the movie money since it feeds into a line of patter that I came up with (the magic of the movies...). I will road test this next week for my patients who are getting a lot of magic from a distance these days. This trick will go down as one of the greats, in my opinion, like Misled and Darryl's Jumping Knot routine. Thank you Nicholas Lawrence. I don't quite understand the naysayers in this particular situation. The trick is mind-blowingly good. Takes a bit of practice to master. All the better. This is my best purchase since Little Door.
Nicholas is one of the naysers he thinks the production by Penguin stinks Gaz 😊
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, tophatter wrote:
Is the gimmick delicate ? just want to know if you carry it in your wallet will it hold up well. [/quote]

I disagree with others who say it will hold up well in a wallet. I have a regular size wallet, and everything that I leave in my wallet starts taking on a curved shape. This gimmick would not do well in that situation. Also, this wallet uses certain components that personally I wouldn't put in my wallet.
If you use a large wallet, or a wallet that can keep bills flat, then it would work fine. It would be great for those metal wallets.

I purchased this, but I haven't figured out how I am going to carry it. Maybe I'll try it, and if it gets ruined then I'll make a new one.

KJ
I haven't received this yet, but in addition to ordering this, I also ordered 100 fake $20 bills from Amazon. I'm thinking that I could make two gimmicks from each fake bill and actually tear out the corner in performance, even have a participant complete the tear.

I'm thinking that a very specific choreaography, then the same choreography done in reverse would look cool. Maybe a participant can hold a sand timer and turn it over for the reverse choreography.

KJ
I have read the thread but can anyone confirm for certain it will work with plastic UK currency ? Thank you Gaz 😊
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Dec 7, 2020 03:07AM)
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I have read the thread but can anyone confirm for certain it will work with plastic UK currency ? Thank you Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Yes, youíll need to construct your gimmick. I have a friend in Canada who has made a Revamp with their plastic bills.. it works fine, there is a slight discrepancy but it goes unnoticed. Depends on which note you choose ect.. the artwork plays a part in the method, so you may need to get a little creative with how you customize the gimmick.
Thank you Nicholas for your quick response , best wishes Gaz 😊
Frankly, I think many of us are missing something here. We all should be very thankful for Nicholas offering real magic to the magic fraternity. Let me explain. Yes there can be some technical issues to work out. But do you really want to go back to or start doing the TT dollar bill switch compared to this one? Which one looks more magical? How would it be done if you could do real magic? fold it up into a tiny packet? Why? Magicians of old would have paid almost anything to have this effect. They wouldn't have cared about having to do some arts and crafts. Bill magic is real magic. You can do it anywhere. Especially a hyper visual torn and restored bill that you can pass out. In all of magic history, an effect like this, that most magicians can perform, and having it look like real magic, has evaded the t n r bill scene.

Another question. People are complaining about 40 bucks. How many thousands of dollars have you spent over the years for things you will never use, for card books that are only weights on a bookshelf? Or for magic that spectators don't want to see? Sometimes magicians fool themselves more than their spectators. I am included in this too, ok?

So Nicholas, I hope others can take a minute to breathe, and realize, with a little work, this effect and other effects of yours are major contributions to what people now want in magic. So thanks so much for all your contributions. And REVAMP is one of the greats. I could care less if I have to reconstruct it. I don't care if I have to have a special flat container to carry it in. I have been waiting my whole life for something that takes the breath away from people in the t n r bill genre. Thanks to you, we have it. Yes there are alternatives. But they are rightly cheaper and do not look nearly as good, or MAGICAL, as this.

If you want to do a tricky puzzle, fine, those type of tricks abound. But if you want to do a miracle, like this one, I think we need to be a little more flexible, and willing to do a little work. And we also should appreciate Nicholas Lawrence. Thanks bro!!! Great creation. Keep it up.
I bought Patrick Kunís Paper Heart some time ago and it was literally months before I realized the gimmick he sent me was not a real dollar Bill. Looked and worked (still works) perfectly.
I disagree with Country Maven the TT bill switch or I prefer Jay Scott Berryís cloaking device are literally one of the greatest close up effects of all time . This effect from Nicholas maybe too I donít know , but you obviously donít do the bill switch very well if you donít consider it an absolute classic imho Gaz 😊
I don't see why we are even talking about the cost. It is not unreasonable. If you think it is, then simply don't buy. The idea and handling are really awesome!

On a separate note:

I just donated to Steve Brook's wife's go fund me page. Wishing her the best in her time of medical need. I hope many on the Cafť donate as well.

KJ
Https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-steve-brooks-and-mya-angel
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I have read the thread but can anyone confirm for certain it will work with plastic UK currency ? Thank you Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Yes, youíll need to construct your gimmick. I have a friend in Canada who has made a Revamp with their plastic bills.. it works fine, there is a slight discrepancy but it goes unnoticed. Depends on which note you choose ect.. the artwork plays a part in the method, so you may need to get a little creative with how you customize the gimmick. [/quote]

How do you get into starting position of torn bill? These polymer bills don't tear
Thanks Gaz, you are very smart to recommend the bill switch ala Jay Scott Berry. Yes that is superior. Of course these are classics.
Berry's as you know, has less folding so it looks more magical. My point was this: if you really did magic, you would have an instant restoration in many cases. I would not say all cases.

But what is easy to forget is that this instant, visible magical restoration has the look of how a real miracle would look. Therefore, the stunned reactions. Try it.
[quote]On Dec 7, 2020, CopperChopCup wrote:
I bought Patrick Kunís Paper Heart some time ago and it was literally months before I realized the gimmick he sent me was not a real dollar Bill. Looked and worked (still works) perfectly. [/quote]

Same here, although the Paper Heart bill is folded so you see much less than a full bill. Had it been a full size bill Iím sure we would have noticed immediately.
I would be interested in seeing this done with polymer bills. If anyone has made one, would you please post a video?
[quote]On Dec 8, 2020, boydy wrote:
I would be interested in seeing this done with polymer bills. If anyone has made one, would you please post a video? [/quote]

Agreed me too Gaz 😊
[quote]On Dec 4, 2020, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
[quote]On Dec 3, 2020, aposjf12 wrote:

Highly recommended

Richard
NYC [/quote]

Hey, I messaged through your website a few days ago and havenít heard anything from you. Can you try to connect, Iíd like to have you do a custom order.

. [/quote]
Thatís why Iím afraid to order direct from creators anymore.

He may be just busy but I prefer getting magic items whenever possible from a shop with tracking and reliability.

Penguin, Hocus -Pocus, Magicwarehouse and Vanishing inc get most of my money. MagicShop SanDiego has earned a place on my trusted shops. I actually get my orders quicker from them than from Penguin. I mostly purchase from Penguin for on line video content and their exclusives.

Still I wish Penguin would carry Nicholas Lawrenceís receipts as Iíve decided to do without them rather than order directly from him.
I try to purchase from creators of magic as much as possible! They can make a bit more money that way and I like to give them that whenever possible.

Thanks!

Jim
I used to do the same but I ordered over 300 dollars from Jay Sankey one Christmas and over a year later I had really received just over half of what I paid for.

Then Justin Miller had a special all his downloads for 100 and we sent messages back and forth for three months to get a digital package.

Then it was David Forrest at least it was only 75 but I never got the item.

Finally our dear friend Cosmo with the Q system. I bought one received it and loved it. I loved it so much that I bought two more and he appreciated me so much as a customer he took 5 months to send me the other two.

The only two living creators of magic that I will praise on here is the great David Regal and Peter Loughran.

They never made excuses. Always sent items on time. Great communication and packaged well. They are the exception to the rule in my case.

Iím sure they are plenty of other great magicians to buy from directly. Iíve heard good things about John T. Sheets and some others but Iíve had too many bad experiences and Nicholas hasnít been great at communication.
Vanishing Inc & Penguin Magic that's it for me the confirmation order is sent to me directly after the order ! Penguin magic even shows you a video of your
order being packed !
I have to agree unfortunately. You buy direct from the creator in order for them to receive a little extra money. Then you donít hear a thing for 2 months and when they finally respond they tell you they are leaving on a lecture tour for 3 months and will be gone. Then when you finally hear from them again after they return they are sold out but they hope to have more in stock soon. Finally, you are notified it has been shipped but you are given no tracking info and the item never shows up. If youíre lucky you finally receive the item you ordered about a year later, but without any of the extra goodies you had been promised throughout the ordeal. Is just stands to reason because most all of them are a one man shop with no shipping department or customer service rep. Is this creator going to make a trip to the post office 2 or 3 times a week? Probably not. Some of them will allow orders to pile up until they have enough to make it worth their while so your order may not be packed and shipped for a few weeks.

Now there are times you have no choice but to buy direct from the creator. The few experiences I have had purchasing direct from Nicholas have been quick and problem free, but I know others have had issues in the past. A few creators are professional and reliable but many are not. I would not hesitate to take a chance with Nicholas but overall, I will use a reputable dealer whenever possible.

If you havenít been burned ordering direct from a creator then you are lucky, but it will almost certainly happen sooner or later.
I love Penguin and Vanishing inc as well. I do love getting the video of my order being packed. Also Vanishing Inc have the nicest owners in the business.

The way Hocus-Pocus and Magic warehouse stand out for me is phone communication. I can hardly ever get Penguin to pick up.

Hocus-Pocus and MagicWarehouse while they donít have real time inventory will answer the phone and tell you exactly how many they have of an item and will even look up at Murphyís or another supplier and tell you when they could get an item. They also have items in their shops that might not be available somewhere else. They both offer sales that sometimes are lower in price than their competitors. Not just the typical over stock either. Hocus-Pocus takes most of my money with sales and estate items you canít get anywhere else. They are so helpful on the phone.

MagicShop SanDiego is another that stand out, They get back to me so quickly and Iíve had them box an order for me while I was on the phone with them! Seriously and if you want free shipping they mail out quicker than Penguin. Still Penguinís video of your order being packed is such a nice touch. It thrills my son every time we get one.

I may take a chance on Nicholas and buy directly. I just wish heíd respond to my messages in a timely manner.

Still I will never spend over a hundred dollars again with any individual except David Regal or Peter Loughran.
It is very unfortunate that a few bad actors have given supporting creators directly a bad rep. There are plenty who do put customer service first and foremost. I mean I get it, if I was burned before I would be cautious as well, but it is also unfair to assume that will be the case with everyone.
[quote]On Dec 12, 2020, TuneHV wrote:
It is very unfortunate that a few bad actors have given supporting creators directly a bad rep. There are plenty who do put customer service first and foremost. I mean I get it, if I was burned before I would be cautious as well, but it is also unfair to assume that will be the case with everyone. [/quote]
Very true. I have had great experiences with David Jonathan, David Regal, Harry Lorayne, Richard Young, Joel Dickinson, Cameron Francis, Michael Scanzello, Larry Barnowsky and others.
This is very creative and magical...kudos to Nicholas for being so ingenious. However, I was disappointed with the gimmick being supplied in movie money because it won't stand-up to the rigors of preforming in strolling environments. If I had known this from the onset I wouldn't have bought it. In fact, I would have happily paid five dollars extra for one made in real US currency. Hopefully, the product will eventually get re-released being fully-assembled in US dollar bills. I do hope that the Penguin marketing team takes these details into consideration going forward because quality and durability matter.
Penguin really dropped the ball on this one.

I would have given it five stars and consideration for trick of the year but for what you receive Iím struggling to give it 3 stars.

Mine arrived somewhat misaligned and part of the fake money is dull and part of it shiny so it draws more attention to it.

Itís not worth 40 in the form I received mine but it would be worth 50 to me if it was in real currency and aligned properly from the start.

Really too bad.
[quote]On Dec 13, 2020, Marvelous wrote:
Penguin really dropped the ball on this one.

I would have given it five stars and consideration for trick of the year but for what you receive Iím struggling to give it 3 stars.

Mine arrived somewhat misaligned and part of the fake money is dull and part of it shiny so it draws more attention to it.

Itís not worth 40 in the form I received mine but it would be worth 50 to me if it was in real currency and aligned properly from the start.

Really too bad. [/quote]

I agree on this completely. A buddy of mine bought one from Penguin and showed me the gimmick. Very clever and cool, but sooo happy I waited so I can get it from Nicolas direct. Not a fan of the fake bills whatsoever. Yes, the trick may still be performable, but I would feel a lot more comfortable not having to worry about bill shine being flashed. I know my buddy is salty because he wants to perform the effect, but is not going to pay to buy it twice on principle (and not one to do art and crafts to tear apart and rebuild). He screwed up by reading an email from Lawrence saying it was made with a real bill, and then actually buying it from Penguin for the convenience factor, without looking closely at ad copy he thought he had already read once before. Lesson learned.
[quote]On Dec 12, 2020, Marvelous wrote:
I love Penguin and Vanishing inc as well. I do love getting the video of my order being packed. Also Vanishing Inc have the nicest owners in the business.

The way Hocus-Pocus and Magic warehouse stand out for me is phone communication. I can hardly ever get Penguin to pick up.

Hocus-Pocus and MagicWarehouse while they donít have real time inventory will answer the phone and tell you exactly how many they have of an item and will even look up at Murphyís or another supplier and tell you when they could get an item. They also have items in their shops that might not be available somewhere else. They both offer sales that sometimes are lower in price than their competitors. Not just the typical over stock either. Hocus-Pocus takes most of my money with sales and estate items you canít get anywhere else. They are so helpful on the phone.

MagicShop SanDiego is another that stand out, They get back to me so quickly and Iíve had them box an order for me while I was on the phone with them! Seriously and if you want free shipping they mail out quicker than Penguin. Still Penguinís video of your order being packed is such a nice touch. It thrills my son every time we get one.

I may take a chance on Nicholas and buy directly. I just wish heíd respond to my messages in a timely manner.

Still I will never spend over a hundred dollars again with any individual except David Regal or Peter Loughran. [/quote]

Totally agree.

Also wish you good luck with Nicholas - I had a bad experience with him twice and for me it's over. Especially when I see how much time he spends answering on here but totally disregards customers who actually bought from him. Pity.
I placed and order with Nicholas on a December 18th for a custom Revamp gimmick and routine. Havenít heard from him since I paid and Iíve sent two emails. It doesnít take much to respond and say ďhey, Hereís when you can expect itĒ or provide some sort of timeframe. I realize it is the holiday season, and that USPS is slow, but all Iíd like at this point is some communication.
As good as a creator can be this kind of support can make for a short shelf life of support from customers.
I mentioned I have been very disappointed with him in another thread and he said he would make it up to me (that was about a week ago) so waiting to see if that actually happens and will report back. It has been Christmas/New Year though and my guess is that he does a lot himself... but still...
[quote]On Jan 4, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:
IIt has been Christmas/New Year though and my guess is that he does a lot himself... but still... [/quote]
It doesnít excuse not communicating though. An email response takes seconds. Iím really hoping he has time this week to let me know about my order.
Has anyone ordered from nicholas with any success? I want to but don't want to lose money ty
I ordered a set of magnets from him and received them.
And I haven't heard anything from him in nearly 3 weeks but he might have sent me something without telling me
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Jan 15, 2021 07:52AM)
All this talk about me not answering emails.. let me say, my apologies for not being able to answer everyoneís questions as fast as youíd like me too but as for my reputation with my online store Via Shopify, I have a 97% success rate.

Iíve been operating my website completely by myself with hundreds of orders and still have great success, Iíd say Iím doing a fantastic job. I can assure you, if you order from my online store youíll be happy you did, youíre package will arrive safe and sound and youíll be learning some awesome magic in No time..

Iím New to running an online store solo, thereís a lot that goes into it and Iím learning something new everyday. Iíve only been operating my store for 5 months now.. So if some simple error happens like a missing tutorial ect.. just email me, if I donít respond within 1 day, try again. I will definitely get back to you. Thanks guys!

Ps. I wouldnít be surprised if some of the people defaming me here under their anonymous screenames, it might be somebody Ive upset by disagreeing with them or didnít give them a quote on their effect I didnít approve.. or even some salty ex business partners.. donít believe everything you read people, there are snakes in the grass.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Jan 15, 2021 07:58AM)
Also, anyone here who has had a ďbad experienceĒ with my services.. please do email me today! Letís resolve your issue, I want to make sure everyone has the best experience with my magic and my online store. I strive for excellence, truly.
Ty nicholas for responding to this thread. I just want to tell everyone that the USPS sucks right now and I have faith nicholas will send out your stuff. I ordered something from a popular magic dealer and it was delivered dec 22 and I'm suppose to get today!!!! just gotta be patient I guess and let the usps do its magic!!!!! Thanks again nicholas for responding and stay safe and healthy!!!!
Thank you for your answer Nicholas, looking forward to hearing from you!
Well that was quick... Nicholas has resolved my issue very quickly, professionally and generously I must say! That's much appreciated, thank you Nicholas! :) Looking forward to you next releases!
Message: Posted by: SlightlyTipsyMagic (Jan 15, 2021 11:11AM)
Iíve ordered several items directly from Nicholas Lawrence Presents, I couldnít be happier with the awesome quality products that Iíve received and Iíve had no issues with the shipping and handling. The last Magic item that I ordered in 2020 was from Nicholas and it was the first Magic item that I received this year (2021) Hereís the time line on the order. I ordered VPM-4D on 12/28/20, the order was shipped the next day on 12/29/20, also on the 29th I received an email from Nicholas notifying me of the shipment, tracking # and the password for the tutorial. The product was delivered to me on 01/02/21. Man, thatís straight up good business right there.
I ordered something from nicholas yesterday super excited!!!!
There is no doubt about it Nicholas is a genius when it comes to creating gimmicks . Good magic to all Gaz 😊
Hi guys I wanted to give you all an update. I just received my item from Nicholas and it came super fast and its super awesome as usual with his stuff.. His service was great and item was well packaged...Ty once again Nicholas

AH
After several messages and being assured my custom Revamp would be going out soon, I guess Iím just getting a refund. Oh well.

How hard is it to make the Revamp gimmick? Iíll be ordering from Penguin and making my own I suppose.
[quote]On Jan 27, 2021, CopperChopCup wrote:
After several messages and being assured my custom Revamp would be going out soon, I guess Iím just getting a refund. Oh well.

How hard is it to make the Revamp gimmick? Iíll be ordering from Penguin and making my own I suppose. [/quote]

Unfortunately this type of behavior is all too common with the small, one man magic businesses. There are definitely exceptions but this almost seems like the rule.
So strange too, especially in Nicholasís case because he has stressed so many times how he is trying to make a go of this and will do anything to make things right. I emailed Nicholas recently thru his website contact sheet about a custom Revamp and have never received a reply. I really believed that Nicholas might turn out to be one of the dependable ones. Maybe he still will. But you can tell that things are beginning to slip through the cracks. Always makes me suspect there is more going on than we are aware.

Hereís hoping that he can turn things around before his reputation suffers too much.
Message: Posted by: NicholasLawrenceMagic (Jan 27, 2021 08:19PM)
Yupp.. there has been a few CUSTOM orders that slipped through the cracks, out of all the orders Iíve gotten, someone asked ďhow hard is it to make a gimmick?Ē itís not that hard to make one gimmick ..But it does become a task to manufactured and ship as many as I have . Iíve apologized to the couple of people who never received their orders but you canít deny that Iíve been respectful, professional and made sure youíve been refunded.

Iím doing my absolute best to run my online store and of course there are people who feel itís necessary to bash you even after apologizing and being refunded. Believe me, I understand youíre upset that you didnít get what you wanted, but again.. Iíve apologized and youíve been refunded.. No harm! It was an accident and Iíve made it right.. Iíve even went out of my a few times and gifted the item free of charge because of how understanding and respectful they were. If you donít want to order from my online store after your bad experience thatís fine, I completely understand. As my late father used to tell me, ďYou canít please everyone.Ē Itís true even in these cases.. things happen and all you can do is make the best of the situation and move on..

Also, as the comment before my response has mentioned, Iím Not too worried about my reputation suffering, not in the slightest... Iím doing my best to improve but for what Iíve already contributed and offered the community Iím extremely proud and know that I have thousands of happy customers, supporting what I do and for good reason..

I know most if not 99% of people who have purchased directly from me are extremely happy with my service and also know Iím doing my absolute best to escape the grasp of big magic companies and producing my creations myself. Of course there will be some issues when running a business, even big companies (Penguin,Ellusionist ect..) encounter these issues and people still like to put you down and to go out of their way to alert the community after weíve not only refunded the customer but also offered a sincere apology..

If your mission is to spread your bad experience to attempt to attack my business and dramatically lower my sales, I have some bad news for you.. itís not going to happen. Yes it might sway some of you but again I have an extremely high success rate with my online store and can bet my life saving most of my supporters donít even use the magic Cafť.. they understand that most people here are absolutely TOXIC..and simply get joy and itís a hobby trolling creators hard work anonymously..

With all that said.. I again apologize to the few who have had a bad experience but know Iíll always do my best to make it up to you. I canít express how much I appreciate all of those who are supporting my work..
As far as I'm concerned there was an issue with one of my order with Nicholas and he went above and beyond to make things right.
Nicholas I love your creations but to say that most people on the Cafť are toxic is utterly disrespectful , itís the same as saying that 99% of people are happy with your service thatís simply not true . Just because you eventually get back to people when they have had to mention it to others as you gave them zero response otherwise , you are now blaming the Cafť for that rather than yourself . Getting a refund is not what they wanted , they wanted the product you offered so although thatís exceptable itís still a huge disappointment having their monies tied up in your bank account and fighting tooth and nail just to get whatís rightfully theirs back . You are making out you are the victim and almost doing them a favour in giving them their monies back so poor old you . Iím glad you donít go with the big dealers but as my Father used to say if you canít stand the heat get out of the Kitchen . I can tell you this most of the morons you are on about are all Facebook and other mediums and itís the trolls from Facebook who come on here briefly under a sudo name who try to stir the pot . Donít advertise your magic on here If you donít like the place and stick with your Facebook numpties . Good magic to all Gaz 😊
[quote]On Jan 27, 2021, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Yupp.. there has been a few CUSTOM orders that slipped through the cracks, out of all the orders Iíve gotten, someone asked ďhow hard is it to make a gimmick?Ē itís not that hard to make one gimmick ..But it does become a task to manufactured and ship as many as I have . Iíve apologized to the couple of people who never received their orders but you canít deny that Iíve been respectful, professional and made sure youíve been refunded.

Iím doing my absolute best to run my online store and of course there are people who feel itís necessary to bash you even after apologizing and being refunded. Believe me, I understand youíre upset that you didnít get what you wanted, but again.. Iíve apologized and youíve been refunded.. No harm! It was an accident and Iíve made it right.. Iíve even went out of my a few times and gifted the item free of charge because of how understanding and respectful they were. If you donít want to order from my online store after your bad experience thatís fine, I completely understand. As my late father used to tell me, ďYou canít please everyone.Ē Itís true even in these cases.. things happen and all you can do is make the best of the situation and move on..

Also, as the comment before my response has mentioned, Iím Not too worried about my reputation suffering, not in the slightest... Iím doing my best to improve but for what Iíve already contributed and offered the community Iím extremely proud and know that I have thousands of happy customers, supporting what I do and for good reason..

I know most if not 99% of people who have purchased directly from me are extremely happy with my service and also know Iím doing my absolute best to escape the grasp of big magic companies and producing my creations myself. Of course there will be some issues when running a business, even big companies (Penguin,Ellusionist ect..) encounter these issues and people still like to put you down and to go out of their way to alert the community after weíve not only refunded the customer but also offered a sincere apology..

If your mission is to spread your bad experience to attempt to attack my business and dramatically lower my sales, I have some bad news for you.. itís not going to happen. Yes it might sway some of you but again I have an extremely high success rate with my online store and can bet my life saving most of my supporters donít even use the magic Cafť.. they understand that most people here are absolutely TOXIC..and simply get joy and itís a hobby trolling creators hard work anonymously..

With all that said.. I again apologize to the few who have had a bad experience but know Iíll always do my best to make it up to you. I canít express how much I appreciate all of those who are supporting my work.. [/quote]

NIcholas, from your quoted response above I do not see how you are blaming the cafť in any way. From what I read you step up and admit, and I paraphrase, that no on is perfect including big dealers like Penguin etc. and that you are learning and adjusting as well. This is not a cop-out IMO as Gaz suggests. I wouldn't even reply to Gaz because all here know he likes to stir the pot sometimes. At least you made things right to people unlike other creators like Wayne Fox who continues to hide and not address the issue like you did here. And for Gaz to say that 99% of people are not happy with your service is in fact ludicrous and very stupid. He is attacking your character without proof which is wrong. There is no way GAZ can make that statement with 100% confidence, how the heck does he know? If you are so sure Gaz why don't you post all the names of Nicholas's customers and then put a mark by the ones who were not happy and I will figure out the percentage for you. Please, you shouldn't make such a blanket statement with ZERO facts unless you have all the backing of these people you speak for that are unhappy with Nicholas's service.

I will agree with one point Gaz stated in regards to MOST people here are toxic. Lots, yes, but not most.

Good Magic to All,
Bob
Bob where did I say that 99% of people were unhappy with his service ? Read it properly before commenting Gaz 😊
Right here from your post: itís the same as saying that 99% of people are happy with your service thatís simply not true .
I would like to clarify my point from a few posts back when I asked "How hard is it to make the Revamp gimmick?" This was not at all rhetorical. Since Nicholas was unable to fulfill my order, I will still be ordering, but from one of the larger magic dealers. I will be making my own gimmick out of real currency as stated, and I was asking owners of the gimmick to provide their feedback, essentially "how hard is this to make?"

Additionally, I would like to use this space to discuss the transaction that I had with Nicholas, as it seems warranted based on information in this very thread and his disposition to anyone who has anything less than positive to say about his business or gimmicks. My experience is relevant and speaks to some of the issues brought up here and an honest accounting of what happened should help make things clearer.

I love buying magic. I love learning magic. I love supporting creators and interesting ideas. When I first saw Revamp I knew it would fit perfectly with what I do in healthcare. As a result of the pandemic, my ability to interact with my co-workers and patients has been greatly diminished due to the types of magic I would regularly perform. I have switched to much more visual items, and things that do not need to be handled or touched. This looked so good, but for $40, I wanted to do some more reading on it, so I headed to the Cafť to read up on it from others. I was disappointed to learn that it wasn't made out of real currency, as it seems others were as well. Immediately I was struck by how the creator was instantly available in the thread, talking about the process with Penguin and what options and avenues people could pursue. He offered to make custom gimmicks and sell those on his website store for anyone who wanted to purchase. Not long after that he had to walk that proposition back due to his agreements with Penguin, but he had a workaround where people could contact him privately and he could make the gimmick and sell it that way. Perfect! I'll do that. Messaged him on his website at the beginning of December. I waited a few days and never got a response. Okay.... not a problem. Happened to see him pop up on a FaceBook page we both belong to answering questions about something else, so I messaged him that way and asked him to check his emails so that we could work something out.

I get a pretty quick email back from him on 12/17 and we discussed what I wanted. We agreed on $50 for the custom gimmick and the routine and that while it was custom, I understood it could take a little time. The transaction was completed via Paypal on December 18th.

On December 29th I reached out via email to see where we stood, realizing of course that with the holidays and delays with USPS, I might very well be waiting a little bit. He did not respond to my email so I reached out again on January 3rd and politely inquired about my order and when I might expect it.

Still, no response. So, on January 7th I emailed again, explaining that I was trying really hard to support content creators who take your money and don't return emails. I was firm but polite. I never received a response to any of those emails, so I reached back out via FaceBook messenger and asked him, again politely, to check his email and respond back with an ETA for the gimmick I paid him for. He did respond back "Hey! Your order is on its way". This is January 7th. Great. I'll look for it in a few days. He went on to explain that he was very busy and emails were slipping through the cracks, but he assured me that any December orders (I placed mine on Dec 18) would go out by the end of the week, which would have been Saturday January 9th. He went on to tell me that custom orders take time, etc. Fine, no problem, I get that, and I honestly thought we were on the right track. I thanked him for the update and waited another week.

On January 15th I asked for some tracking information for my package so I could know when to expect it and keep an eye out for it. Again, not upset or angry. I was polite in my communication with him. I was however keeping a close eye on this thread as there were a few eyebrow-raising posts, some from Nicholas himself that seemed a bit antagonistic towards anyone who had anything negative to say about his shipping habits. I was happy he responded and told me on January 15th "I just checked, your custom Revamp is scheduled to be shipped on Monday!" then some more apologies about delays. At this point, I'm still not upset. I was eager to receive my gimmick and happy to support a small business. I was however a little put-off by his lack of candor and I told him that I would have appreciated a little better communication. All it would have taken was a simple "Hey man, I'm behind...I need a few more weeks to get this made for you". At no time was I pushy or demanding. It's at this point he begins telling me how overwhelming everything is with custom orders, running his shop, family clients etc. Okay, again, not a problem, but I'm glad he was able to let me know the situation with his time and organization. This will be important later on. I continue to let him know I like supporting creators and it's my pleasure to wait.

On January 27th I reached out to him again. Having given the item more than a week to arrive after he promised it would ship. I asked for a tracking number again so I could keep an eye on it and know when to expect it. I was again polite and understanding. He responded with an apology and began telling me that it "didn't work out" and offered me a refund. This was confusing as he made it seem in his earlier correspondence that it was ready to go out on several different occasions...so forth and so on. He offered me a refund at that point and also offered many excuses as to why he was unable to complete our transaction. He went on "I'm also very busy with filming, shipping orders and don't have the time to make custom orders right now" which again was interesting because it was in the very thread that he offered to do that. I didn't solicit something from him that he wasn't already offering. Keep in mind that we had been regularly having messages back and forth, so the excuse that his Shopify system was somehow to blame rings hollow. We were in direct contact about what I paid for. There was no confusion. My name was directly attached to the FaceBook messages. I was led to believe the gimmick was complete and all that needed to be done was ship it. There is no indication that he hadn't even started it at that point.

Okay, that's fine with me, just a little miffed about the whole thing, kind of had a low opinion of his business practices, but he was offering me a refund so all seemed well. The whole thing just bolstered what had been alluded to in this thread earlier. I appreciate anyone sticking with this longwinded explanation, but I thought it best to be as clear and honest as possible.

This is when things really went off the rails.

Based on our previous history and his explanations about why things ended up how they did, I thought it was in my best interest to begin a PayPal claim to keep a paper trail about the whole thing and keep him accountable to me for the money he owed. According to his own emails he was swamped with family, work, his store, his clients and things were falling through the cracks.... I didn't want to be waiting for my refund. I stated in my claim it was for goods not delivered and awaited his response. Immediately he had sent me $50 (not a refund from the original transaction). When I went to Paypal to cancel the claim I realized that I only netted $48.25 or something and that he needed to send more to make me whole as Paypal was now taking their percentage. During the course of those few minutes I get this message "I just checked the Paypal case, it's still open. I'll check back in a bit to make sure you've closed the case. Wouldn't want you to forget and then negatively affect my Paypal account, thanks". Bit of nerve there, but okay.

Hmm...so suddenly, action on my part for you is extremely important because this is something that affects you personally? Okay. Like, literally we are talking mere minutes from me opening the case to me closing it. Most of that time was spent letting him know he did the refund incorrectly and asking him to make it right. I explained "I was more than patient with you, the least you can do is offer the same. However, the tone of the message is condescending and unwarranted" This seemed to be a trend, as his Cafť posts hint at the same attitude when things aren't going his way.

I informed Nicholas that I had closed the case and followed with "please understand that I can only be honest about our transaction when discussing in online forums or reviewing my experience". He literally expected that because he said he was sorry and refunded my money that I have no grievance. It's definitely not a big deal, and I did post exactly what happened. But his behavior, the lying, and the constant putting me off is my experience with him. That is a valid criticism whether he likes it or not. If you look at my response a few posts back I said exactly what I wanted to and let people know what my experience was with him. Nothing that wasn't untrue. No wishing harm upon his business. No asking people to not do business with him. Just straight facts. Nicholas then begins by arguing with me over it, and becoming belligerent to the point of calling me a "terrible jerk" and losing his mind telling me how disgusted he was, and I agreed, I was disgusted too.

Nicholas does not understand that people were literally having issues with receiving the items they paid for and his response was to be arrogant and flippant as if he was doing us all a favor. I leave honest reviews about positive and negative transactions all the time, and this would be no different just letting people know what to expect. I ended our communication after he responded with:

"Whatever dude. I'm over it. Do your best to break me down. Please!! Destroy me!! Roast me!! Please!!!!! Please!!!!! Destroy me!!!!! I deserve it!!! I'm a terrible person and business man!!! I'm such a terrible magic creator too..let the world know"

Okay. This is his response after I told him I would only be honest, and all I posted was exactly what you see a few posts prior. Essentially, "this dragged on, he wasn't going to make my gimmick, he refunded my money. That's my experience with Nicholas Lawrence." I was polite, direct and firm during the course of our conversations and in no way deserved this diatribe and effort to flip this into a guilt trip as if it was my fault. I am not having that at all. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets whatever help he may need and begins to balance his workload. Stress is an awful thing. I harbor no ill will towards the man and wish him the best in magic, business and life. With all that being said...whew.... I don't think it helps anyone to not post my experience, and the balance of folks who have had positive experiences help offset that. It is incredibly unfortunate that it came to this.

I want to close in stating that I have purchased many things over the years directly from the creators. I have had great luck with lots of them, and as long as their communication indicated delays or problems, I was always happy. Folks like David Regal, Richard Sanders and the like are top notch to work with and I know they are extremely busy people. There are probably dozens more that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.

I'm open to whatever conversation any of you want to have on the matter, and would be fine with posting proof of all of our messaging if Nicholas wants to refute anything I've stated here. People in any business need to be accountable to those who they are doing business with. I told him I would be honest, and I have been.
Nicholas Lawrence contacted me yesterday via FaceBook Messenger to call me names, berate me and threaten me with retribution. This was extremely disappointing and shocking.

He still seems to under the impression that I am upset that he wouldn't make me a ReVamp gimmick. This is not the case. In fact, during our conversation, I never brought the gimmick up again after he told me he was going to refund me. I am disappointed that our transaction ended in the manner that it did, but I contest that I don't deserve to be called a "terrible jerk", a 'monster' "disgusting man' 'lazy' or to have my name mocked to his delight. He attempted to call me twice, and insisted I speak with him on the phone. I chose not to answer and explained if he had something to say, he could do it via messenger. He explained that my posting on the Cafť was illegal. I suppose he hopes that exhibiting this behavior to someone through messenger absolves him of being held responsible for the consequences of his words. I really don't know.

He explained that I would enjoy being an outsider at Magic Conventions while my friends were getting photographs and autographs from him. This is wildly unprofessional, not to mention immature. Over and over he referenced who he was in the magic community and how many tricks he's invented. Again, everything is documented and for anyone that would like to verify, I have the screenshots of our conversations. I have nothing to hide as I was respectful and listened to what he had to say, if not somewhat amused that this was how I was spending my afternoon.

He accused me of trying to defame and wreck his business. Again, this is not true. These posts are a direct response to his unbelievable behavior. It has been clear to me, reading his previous postings that any kind of disagreement or negative review earns you his ire. My intentions have only been to support my own experiences with Nicholas Lawrence...they were not good at all.

I would hope no one else had to endure this kind of behavior for being honest about a failed transaction.
[quote]On Jan 28, 2021, RNK wrote:
Right here from your post: itís the same as saying that 99% of people are happy with your service thatís simply not true . [/quote]

What are you talking about Bob ? Itís the complete opposite I have never ever said that 99% of people are unhappy with his service ? My quote would mean that 1% was unhappy and thatís not true itís probably about 5/10% like most products . Are you on something ? Gaz 😂😂
[quote]On Jan 28, 2021, CopperChopCup wrote:
I would like to clarify my point from a few posts back when I asked "How hard is it to make the Revamp gimmick?" This was not at all rhetorical. Since Nicholas was unable to fulfill my order, I will still be ordering, but from one of the larger magic dealers. I will be making my own gimmick out of real currency as stated, and I was asking owners of the gimmick to provide their feedback, essentially "how hard is this to make?"

Additionally, I would like to use this space to discuss the transaction that I had with Nicholas, as it seems warranted based on information in this very thread and his disposition to anyone who has anything less than positive to say about his business or gimmicks. My experience is relevant and speaks to some of the issues brought up here and an honest accounting of what happened should help make things clearer.

I love buying magic. I love learning magic. I love supporting creators and interesting ideas. When I first saw Revamp I knew it would fit perfectly with what I do in healthcare. As a result of the pandemic, my ability to interact with my co-workers and patients has been greatly diminished due to the types of magic I would regularly perform. I have switched to much more visual items, and things that do not need to be handled or touched. This looked so good, but for $40, I wanted to do some more reading on it, so I headed to the Cafť to read up on it from others. I was disappointed to learn that it wasn't made out of real currency, as it seems others were as well. Immediately I was struck by how the creator was instantly available in the thread, talking about the process with Penguin and what options and avenues people could pursue. He offered to make custom gimmicks and sell those on his website store for anyone who wanted to purchase. Not long after that he had to walk that proposition back due to his agreements with Penguin, but he had a workaround where people could contact him privately and he could make the gimmick and sell it that way. Perfect! I'll do that. Messaged him on his website at the beginning of December. I waited a few days and never got a response. Okay.... not a problem. Happened to see him pop up on a FaceBook page we both belong to answering questions about something else, so I messaged him that way and asked him to check his emails so that we could work something out.

I get a pretty quick email back from him on 12/17 and we discussed what I wanted. We agreed on $50 for the custom gimmick and the routine and that while it was custom, I understood it could take a little time. The transaction was completed via Paypal on December 18th.

On December 29th I reached out via email to see where we stood, realizing of course that with the holidays and delays with USPS, I might very well be waiting a little bit. He did not respond to my email so I reached out again on January 3rd and politely inquired about my order and when I might expect it.

Still, no response. So, on January 7th I emailed again, explaining that I was trying really hard to support content creators who take your money and don't return emails. I was firm but polite. I never received a response to any of those emails, so I reached back out via FaceBook messenger and asked him, again politely, to check his email and respond back with an ETA for the gimmick I paid him for. He did respond back "Hey! Your order is on its way". This is January 7th. Great. I'll look for it in a few days. He went on to explain that he was very busy and emails were slipping through the cracks, but he assured me that any December orders (I placed mine on Dec 18) would go out by the end of the week, which would have been Saturday January 9th. He went on to tell me that custom orders take time, etc. Fine, no problem, I get that, and I honestly thought we were on the right track. I thanked him for the update and waited another week.

On January 15th I asked for some tracking information for my package so I could know when to expect it and keep an eye out for it. Again, not upset or angry. I was polite in my communication with him. I was however keeping a close eye on this thread as there were a few eyebrow-raising posts, some from Nicholas himself that seemed a bit antagonistic towards anyone who had anything negative to say about his shipping habits. I was happy he responded and told me on January 15th "I just checked, your custom Revamp is scheduled to be shipped on Monday!" then some more apologies about delays. At this point, I'm still not upset. I was eager to receive my gimmick and happy to support a small business. I was however a little put-off by his lack of candor and I told him that I would have appreciated a little better communication. All it would have taken was a simple "Hey man, I'm behind...I need a few more weeks to get this made for you". At no time was I pushy or demanding. It's at this point he begins telling me how overwhelming everything is with custom orders, running his shop, family clients etc. Okay, again, not a problem, but I'm glad he was able to let me know the situation with his time and organization. This will be important later on. I continue to let him know I like supporting creators and it's my pleasure to wait.

On January 27th I reached out to him again. Having given the item more than a week to arrive after he promised it would ship. I asked for a tracking number again so I could keep an eye on it and know when to expect it. I was again polite and understanding. He responded with an apology and began telling me that it "didn't work out" and offered me a refund. This was confusing as he made it seem in his earlier correspondence that it was ready to go out on several different occasions...so forth and so on. He offered me a refund at that point and also offered many excuses as to why he was unable to complete our transaction. He went on "I'm also very busy with filming, shipping orders and don't have the time to make custom orders right now" which again was interesting because it was in the very thread that he offered to do that. I didn't solicit something from him that he wasn't already offering. Keep in mind that we had been regularly having messages back and forth, so the excuse that his Shopify system was somehow to blame rings hollow. We were in direct contact about what I paid for. There was no confusion. My name was directly attached to the FaceBook messages. I was led to believe the gimmick was complete and all that needed to be done was ship it. There is no indication that he hadn't even started it at that point.

Okay, that's fine with me, just a little miffed about the whole thing, kind of had a low opinion of his business practices, but he was offering me a refund so all seemed well. The whole thing just bolstered what had been alluded to in this thread earlier. I appreciate anyone sticking with this longwinded explanation, but I thought it best to be as clear and honest as possible.

This is when things really went off the rails.

Based on our previous history and his explanations about why things ended up how they did, I thought it was in my best interest to begin a PayPal claim to keep a paper trail about the whole thing and keep him accountable to me for the money he owed. According to his own emails he was swamped with family, work, his store, his clients and things were falling through the cracks.... I didn't want to be waiting for my refund. I stated in my claim it was for goods not delivered and awaited his response. Immediately he had sent me $50 (not a refund from the original transaction). When I went to Paypal to cancel the claim I realized that I only netted $48.25 or something and that he needed to send more to make me whole as Paypal was now taking their percentage. During the course of those few minutes I get this message "I just checked the Paypal case, it's still open. I'll check back in a bit to make sure you've closed the case. Wouldn't want you to forget and then negatively affect my Paypal account, thanks". Bit of nerve there, but okay.

Hmm...so suddenly, action on my part for you is extremely important because this is something that affects you personally? Okay. Like, literally we are talking mere minutes from me opening the case to me closing it. Most of that time was spent letting him know he did the refund incorrectly and asking him to make it right. I explained "I was more than patient with you, the least you can do is offer the same. However, the tone of the message is condescending and unwarranted" This seemed to be a trend, as his Cafť posts hint at the same attitude when things aren't going his way.

I informed Nicholas that I had closed the case and followed with "please understand that I can only be honest about our transaction when discussing in online forums or reviewing my experience". He literally expected that because he said he was sorry and refunded my money that I have no grievance. It's definitely not a big deal, and I did post exactly what happened. But his behavior, the lying, and the constant putting me off is my experience with him. That is a valid criticism whether he likes it or not. If you look at my response a few posts back I said exactly what I wanted to and let people know what my experience was with him. Nothing that wasn't untrue. No wishing harm upon his business. No asking people to not do business with him. Just straight facts. Nicholas then begins by arguing with me over it, and becoming belligerent to the point of calling me a "terrible jerk" and losing his mind telling me how disgusted he was, and I agreed, I was disgusted too.

Nicholas does not understand that people were literally having issues with receiving the items they paid for and his response was to be arrogant and flippant as if he was doing us all a favor. I leave honest reviews about positive and negative transactions all the time, and this would be no different just letting people know what to expect. I ended our communication after he responded with:

"Whatever dude. I'm over it. Do your best to break me down. Please!! Destroy me!! Roast me!! Please!!!!! Please!!!!! Destroy me!!!!! I deserve it!!! I'm a terrible person and business man!!! I'm such a terrible magic creator too..let the world know"

Okay. This is his response after I told him I would only be honest, and all I posted was exactly what you see a few posts prior. Essentially, "this dragged on, he wasn't going to make my gimmick, he refunded my money. That's my experience with Nicholas Lawrence." I was polite, direct and firm during the course of our conversations and in no way deserved this diatribe and effort to flip this into a guilt trip as if it was my fault. I am not having that at all. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets whatever help he may need and begins to balance his workload. Stress is an awful thing. I harbor no ill will towards the man and wish him the best in magic, business and life. With all that being said...whew.... I don't think it helps anyone to not post my experience, and the balance of folks who have had positive experiences help offset that. It is incredibly unfortunate that it came to this.

I want to close in stating that I have purchased many things over the years directly from the creators. I have had great luck with lots of them, and as long as their communication indicated delays or problems, I was always happy. Folks like David Regal, Richard Sanders and the like are top notch to work with and I know they are extremely busy people. There are probably dozens more that I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment.

I'm open to whatever conversation any of you want to have on the matter, and would be fine with posting proof of all of our messaging if Nicholas wants to refute anything I've stated here. People in any business need to be accountable to those who they are doing business with. I told him I would be honest, and I have been. [/quote]

Defend him now Bob lol Gaz 😂😂
Why would anyone want a photograph with him anyway ? Really donít get it Gaz 😊
It seems to me while creators profit more from direct sales ,on the whole ,dealing with the bigger online shops is the safer way for consumers.
I am not taking sides in this dispute, I am commenting on the complaints I have frequently seen with pre sales and direct sales with a creator over the years on the Cafť.
I remember seeing many posts about people waiting years for books to be published.Possibly the best bet for presales
is through kick starter.
The online shops that are good to deal with are well known. Every dealer gets some complaints but for the most part Vanishing inc.,Penguin ,and Hocus Pocus have good reputations.
Some dealers do not have the time to run their business but would like to get the greater profit of selling direct , this is understandable but not good for the consumer.Using pay pal and a shop with a good reputation is the best choice I have found.
The creators could take some of the additional profit made by selling retail instead of wholesale and hire help? This would reduce profits but still increase profits over wholesale.
Doesnít saying I am too busy and refunding money or losing sales cost them money and hurt their reputation.
This is especially true of prolific creators who are very busy.
Just my thoughts.
Good old magic Cafť...

pages and pages of discussion about how ****ty the business is...

guys just take your business to a reputable company.

Just follow one rule..

substandard service = lower pay
Good service = regular pay

Regardless of where you are buying, you are supporting the creator anyways.

A reputable company charges full retail price because they make sure thing does get fall through the crack because of personal reason. Part of the money is paying for service.

Sure you can support the creator directly but you shouldn't pay the same price if the creator going to use I am a single person and I am overwhelmed as an excuse.
The only problem is some of the best creators donít sell their products to dealers so you have no choice other than to buy the product from them direct . So thatís the gamble you take and the choice you make if you want something badly enough Gaz 😊
Thank you CopperChopCup for sharing your experience! It doesn't matter the business or the relationship, we all deserve to be treated with respect as people. I hope you are doing ok!
Disappointed to hear your experiences dealing with Nicholas CopperChopCup. That is totally unprofessional behavior.

Seems his business is still very young to have already had "a few CUSTOM orders that slipped through the cracks".
I've run my own (non-magic) business for over 35 years and I can't recall allowing any clients to slip through the cracks. Nicholas's attitude seems to be that he will do anything that in his belief should make you happy, but if you're still not happy then F you.

In the time it took him to write that last post of his I wonder how many Revamp's he could have made, or emails he could have answered. He seems never to be too busy to respond to criticism.

If he would only return emails or deliver orders as fast as he jumps on the Cafť to post rebuttals after anything he deems as negative is posted about him, there probably wouldn't be anything negative posted about him!
The trouble is with Nicholas he is without a doubt a genius creator there is no question about it . However unfortunately he has an even bigger ego and that massively lets him down and Bill is right he canít take criticism . I would love to see him try to bash me down at a convention , so CopperChopCup donít worry about him at all Gaz 😊
I made one of these gimmicks using real bills and it took me about 45 minutes, and I know I'd get faster with more experience.

I believe that I read that he charges $50 each, netting him an easy profit of $40 each.

If I was him, I'd get my butt moving and make over $600 a day and $4,000 for a 12 hour, 7 day week, sitting home listening to Radiohead and smoking weed (his "13" tattoo gives that away) all day until the demand ran out.

If I was him.

But I'm not him.

PS- Maybe his "13" means he's an unlucky guy.

No, I'll stick by my original statement.

I know the significance of that.

I have it also, along with spider webs on my elbows- one web for every year that I spent in prison.

And 6 girls names crossed out on my bicep, in addition to 16 Ace of Spades; one for every guy that I'm sure that I killed in Vietnam.
Most of the time they are not the best business people at the same time. I wouldn't think it's a gamble..it's a fact.

a good person doesn't make them a good business person.

Nicholas is a decent guy but that doesn't mean his customer needs to wait for him to resolve his personal issue in order to get something that is already paid. A deadline is set in place already.

[quote]On Jan 29, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The only problem is some of the best creators donít sell their products to dealers so you have no choice other than to buy the product from them direct . So thatís the gamble you take and the choice you make if you want something badly enough Gaz 😊 [/quote]
From what I can see, he probably thinks his time is worth more than $50. so he is actually doing you a favor by "making time" to make the gimmick for you.

[quote]On Jan 29, 2021, Jack Straw wrote:
I made one of these gimmicks using real bills and it took me about 45 minutes, and I know I'd get faster with more experience.

I believe that I read that he charges $50 each, netting him an easy profit of $40 each.

If I was him, I'd get my butt moving and make over $600 a day and $4,000 for a 12 hour, 7 day week, sitting home listening to Radiohead and smoking weed (his "13" tattoo gives that away) all day until the demand ran out.

If I was him.

But I'm not him.

PS- Maybe his "13" means he's an unlucky guy.

No, I'll stick by my original statement.

I know the significance of that.

I have it also, along with spider webs on my elbows- one web for every year that I spent in prison.

And 6 girls names crossed out on my bicep, in addition to 16 Ace of Spades; one for every guy that I'm sure that I killed in Vietnam. [/quote]
Exactly he thinks he is doing everyone a favour making the effects and charging such a paltry sum . So why bother advertising the effect in the first place then and just go and do something that earns you more in the same time Gaz 😊
I'm glad your not my business advisor....thinking $40.00 each is a paltry sum for one hour of work. Also, apparently you didn't even read your own post correctly since you did say that it's impossible that 99% of his customers are happy as I pointed out to you and you so conveniently skipped over, lol...

Videoman,thank you for your service and may God bless you!!

Though I'm sure Nicholas is not putting $40 gross in his pocket, surely he has to pay taxes as well.
I really don't want to defend anyone here by posting this but, from a purely logical standpoint, saying that the statement "99% of people are happy with your service" is wrong is definitely not equivalent to "99% of people are not happy with your service"... it just means that the figure 99% is wrong... (or at least saying that the figure 99% is wrong is enough to say that the statement "99% of people are happy with your service" is wrong). So for example it could be 98% are happy with your service... or 90%... or 70%... or 10%... which was Gaz's point... that 99% couldn't be true.

Again... not commenting on whether it's true or not, just on what that statement meant... (imho)

I think people (including myself by the way) have made their point on the fact that Nicholas has made some mistakes in the way he has handled some orders and probably also in the way he has behaved towards some of his customers but shall we maybe try to not make it another 10 pages of saying how bad Nicholas is? :) He said he made some mistakes, he made it up to quite a few people (and fine some people might still be upset) but I think he understood that, although apparently a lot of people HAVE been happy with their customer experience (and let's not debate numbers here because it's just impossible to know for sure), some people have not (same comment) and hopefully he'll make sure it doesn't happen again. But another 5, 10 pages of that would just start to feel like harrassment to me, no? I mean up to you guys of course, everyone is obviously free to post whatever they want :) I just feel people have made their point by now :)
Thanks Ben for explaining to RNK ie Bob exactly what I meant itís basic logic and also basic humour / sarcasm . Itís obvious he would love to earn £40 to £80 per hour making gimmicks so the joke is he is earning more through performing and his other ventures ( thatís a joke Bob of course he is not ) . Nor is he getting enough orders to make this his full time job so he is doing what a lot of magicians do and doing a bit of both . The problem is with that type of juggling you have to get the balance just right as otherwise you end up with all your projects suffering as a consequence . Best wishes Gaz 😊
Well put goldeneye.
[quote]On Jan 30, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:

But another 5, 10 pages of that would just start to feel like harrassment to me, no? I mean up to you guys of course, everyone is obviously free to post whatever they want :) I just feel people have made their point by now :) [/quote]

I agree goldeneye and I have no desire to make any further comments on this.
However, I will say that regarding your comment about it feeling like harrassment towards Nicholas, I would remind you that what Nicholas did to CopperChopCup was blatant harrassment, so I'm not feeling too bad if Nicholas gets a bit of his own medicine. He deserves it IMO.
I feel that there's a responsibility one should accept as a business owner or vendor and a line that shouldn't be crossed to maintain professionalism, however, the way in which CopperChopCup was treated not only crosses the professionalism line, but stoops to an inexcusable low. That was simply disgraceful treatment - it's shameful harassment, intimidation and bullying - calling that out as unacceptable is the right thing to do.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, videoman wrote:
[quote]On Jan 30, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:

But another 5, 10 pages of that would just start to feel like harrassment to me, no? I mean up to you guys of course, everyone is obviously free to post whatever they want :) I just feel people have made their point by now :) [/quote]

However, I will say that regarding your comment about it feeling like harrassment towards Nicholas, I would remind you that what Nicholas did to CopperChopCup was blatant harrassment, so I'm not feeling too bad if Nicholas gets a bit of his own medicine. He deserves it IMO. [/quote]
Fair enough regarding CopperChopCup I just feel it doesn't need to go on and on and on! :)
[quote]On Jan 30, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Thanks Ben for explaining to RNK ie Bob exactly what I meant itís basic logic and also basic humour / sarcasm . Itís obvious he would love to earn £40 to £80 per hour making gimmicks so the joke is he is earning more through performing and his other ventures ( thatís a joke Bob of course he is not ) . Nor is he getting enough orders to make this his full time job so he is doing what a lot of magicians do and doing a bit of both . The problem is with that type of juggling you have to get the balance just right as otherwise you end up with all your projects suffering as a consequence . Best wishes Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Not basic logic and humor or sarcasm when you make a false statement in regards to someone's character when you have no personal experience or knowledge if it's true. It's more along the lines of childish and immature which judging by your back and forth posts with everybody on the Cafť makes sense.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Jan 31, 2021 06:47AM)
[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:
[
However, I will say that regarding your comment about it feeling like harrassment towards Nicholas, I would remind you that what Nicholas did to CopperChopCup was blatant harrassment, so I'm not feeling too bad if Nicholas gets a bit of his own medicine. He deserves it IMO. [/quote]
Fair enough regarding CopperChopCup I just feel it doesn't need to go on and on and on! :) [/quote]

I agree that this has been discussed ad fundum. However if anyone still want to continue bashing I highly recommend the thread about the customer service of Blake Vogt.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, goldeneye007 wrote:
[
Fair enough regarding CopperChopCup I just feel it doesn't need to go on and on and on! :) [/quote]

I agree that this has been discussed ad fundum. However if anyone still want to continue bashing I highly recommend the thread about the customer service of Blake Vogt. [/quote]

:D Maybe The Magic Cafť should dedicate its own section to customer service bashing :D (and praising?)
I'll leave it at this...You're almost always better served buying from dealers than creators. I've had numerous bad experiences over the years buying directly from creators and vowed to never do it again. The only few exceptions I will make are for creators who have been verified by other Cafť buyers that they provide good service and communication.
[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Jan 30, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Thanks Ben for explaining to RNK ie Bob exactly what I meant itís basic logic and also basic humour / sarcasm . Itís obvious he would love to earn £40 to £80 per hour making gimmicks so the joke is he is earning more through performing and his other ventures ( thatís a joke Bob of course he is not ) . Nor is he getting enough orders to make this his full time job so he is doing what a lot of magicians do and doing a bit of both . The problem is with that type of juggling you have to get the balance just right as otherwise you end up with all your projects suffering as a consequence . Best wishes Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Not basic logic and humor or sarcasm when you make a false statement in regards to someone's character when you have no personal experience or knowledge if it's true. It's more along the lines of childish and immature which judging by your back and forth posts with everybody on the Cafť makes sense. [/quote]

I do I have loads of Nicholas Lawrence effects and I have already pointed out he is a genius along with Mickael Chatelain when it comes to creativity . I just donít stand for bullies in life and no one bullies me face to face ever and I will stand up for my fellow Cafť friends as well if I see that happening itís as simple as that . No one scares me and they never will . Anyway I will leave this thread alone now as Bob is boring me Gaz 😊
Well put, I agree, and great advice for anyone to follow.

So how about those new magic tricks that just came out...

[quote]On Jan 31, 2021, Jared wrote:
I'll leave it at this...You're almost always better served buying from dealers than creators. I've had numerous bad experiences over the years buying directly from creators and vowed to never do it again. The only few exceptions I will make are for creators who have been verified by other Cafť buyers that they provide good service and communication. [/quote]