(Close Window)
Topic: ELEMENTARY by Drew Backenstoss
(Brace yourself for a lengthy and information filled post haha.)

I'm nearing completion of my new book. Due to an increase in the number of emails and PMs that I've received in the last two weeks - I thought it might be time to provide some details on the teaser sitting in my signature line.

The content of the book might surprise some. If you're familiar with my work, you'll know that I primarily rely on classic methods which are pretty much guaranteed to deliver within a paid performance. I'm not opposed to leveraging concepts from the world of "propless mentalism" - but I typically do so only to enhance more sure-fire material. I rarely ever perform something solely built on propless methods. One routine in my repertoire breaks that mold though, and it is the main focus of this new book.

What is the routine? In short, it's a PIN divination that I like to call ELEMENTARY.

I readily admit that there's an abundance of such routines on the market but, in my eyes, nearly all of them fall short of the mark. Most don't FEEL like "genuine" mind reading for one or more of the following reasons: they suffer from a heavy (and obvious) mathematical procedure; they play out like a game of 20 Questions due the amount of fishing required; they make no sense from a presentational point of view; they are too cumbersome for the participant and/or performer to navigate during the heat of performance.

ELEMENTARY, in my humble opinion, addresses those problems directly.

You offer to demonstrate how your skills might allow you to pull an ATM PIN from someone's mind. Out of respect for the participant's privacy, you request that he think of a substitute PIN. You even invite him to change his mind several times before settling on four digits. This new PIN is never written down or spoken aloud until the successful conclusion of the performance wherein you divine the number.

Here are a couple points that are worth emphasizing:

1) There is no math involved in the process used to generate the substitute PIN. The procedure in play is minimal, feels extremely fair and is completely motivated.

2) The PIN creation process takes approximately one minute - around the same time needed for traditional peek approaches.

3) The system delivers you most (if not all) of the PIN within seconds and WELL BEFORE the participant could fathom that you could possibly know anything. This feature allows you to relax and enjoy the performance along with everyone else.

4) This is one of those rare routines where the presented method and the real method are so closely aligned that it FEELS authentic to all involved (including you as the performer). Don't misunderstand me, you aren't ACTUALLY reading the participants mind, but it almost feels that way!

5) The method works in any language, anywhere in the world.

6) Once you become comfortable with the scripting and system(s), this is just as reliable as any of your favorite peek strategies. Speaking personally, over the last two years I have only used peeks for names, drawings, memories and the like - when I want to reveal a PIN, I use ELEMENTARY and the number only ever exists in the participant's mind.

7) Most importantly, please understand that this is not "self-working" and you won't be performing this within minutes of learning it. To become fully comfortable with the system(s), it will take some time and effort. That said, the work involved is comparable to learning a star sign anagram (so it genuinely isn't that difficult). Once it clicks in your mind, you'll find that you aren't relying on memory as much as logic and deduction.

Not only will you learn the basic system, I also share nine variations - each one providing a wealth of additional enhancements and subtleties built off of the core method. These include a spectator-as-mind reader variant, two "silent" approaches, a handling that uses two participants for a double PIN reveal, and two versions that are perfectly suited for stage performances. After nearly every chapter, I have prepared practice sessions designed to help you gain confidence in the system(s) before using them in the real world.

The book also includes a bonus concept I call "Amalgamation." This is yet another one of my favorite propless techniques. It's an extremely deceptive and reliable verbal strategy to force thoughts ranging from names to countries to drawings (and more). This fits well alongside the overall performance aesthetics and philosophies found in the ELEMENTARY system, so I thought it would make a nice addition to the project.

I went to great lengths to capture every nuance of the systems within the book - resulting in a page count over 230 pages. That length is not a function of complexity but rather because I want others to be extremely successful and confident during performance. I hope readers recognize the book as a toolbox wherein the ideas and variations can be mixed and matched to construct a PIN divination perfectly suited for each performer.

After sharing this with a handful of people across the globe, I have come to appreciate that it is helpful if you get to experience the routine before learning the system. That way, you'll have a clear idea on how efficient, direct and deceptive the method is. For that reason, I have decided to set aside a few hours each week to demo the most basic version of ELEMENTARY for anyone who may be interested in purchasing the book. In some ways, the "basic version" is the least deceptive approach I share in the book - so if you like it, I'm confident that you'll be THRILLED with the other variations. The basic version is also the one that I anticipate readers will perform most frequently.

If you'd like to jump on a quick 10-minute zoom call to see ELEMENTARY in action, use the following link to schedule a time. I'll send out zoom details at least one hour before the time you select. The only thing I ask in return is that you take a moment to share your initial experience with the routine in this thread.

https://calendly.com/drewbackenstoss/elementary-demo

NOTE: I'm in the MST time zone (GMT -7) so please plan accordingly.

I look forward to meeting some of you soon!

I will share more details about the book (price, availability, etc.) when things are ironed out over the coming weeks.

Best wishes,

Drew
Fans of prop-less mentalism will love this.

Fans of mentalism will love this too.
This is VERY exciting, Drew!
As an obvious fan of this plot, I'm really looking forward to this.
TLDR: It's awesome. Drew's awesome.

We all have access to so many versions of so many things, so I hope you'll appreciate what that means when I say I love this. I have more duplicate/versions of secrets and props than I'll use as my go-to. So when I choose which wallet for peeks, that says something. Or what goes on my key rings. Or what I'll carry *in* my wallet (limited space, right?). The billet tear I'll use. You get it. (PS - Andy got me sticking and going back to the classic center tear, as far as that goes.) That kind of thing.

Drew performed this on me. This is the one propless PIN reveal that I'll be using. I've seen others, never cared to learn them.

If you're fans of Drew's work, you already know what to expect. He's one of what...maybe 7-10 guys you can trust has a hit with pretty much every release?

He's a thorough teacher and has performed everything he's proposing for routines; this isn't 6 pages of triple-spaced, mostly blank pages with half-baked ideas. He's thought about this a lot, and it shows. And he's proficient at explaining it well. He's a detail nut, he cares, and it shows.

I've had the chance to get familiar with the routine but haven't performed it yet. Hectic in the Stockwell household with all of us recently testing positive for COVID and being busy with everything else (we're all fine, though). That being said, as I noted above, this will be my "go-to" PIN for propless. I was truly shocked when I knew that HE knew my PIN, even though I knew it was coming. There was one section that on hindsight I reverse engineered as a magician, but of course, we have our magician hats on.

One of my favorite effects from Drew's book is Common Cents Prediction. Like that routine (or any from his incredible book) you know he covers every detail and has thought it through. I mention the above because his stuff is workable and meant to be used in "the real world".

This is now part of my mental EDC (and that space diminishes a bit each year). You'll like it. You'll use it.

PS - Drew didn't ask, nor did he know, that I would post this.
I will keep this short. Everyone here knows that Drew is a good friend of mine. When he wanted to show me this my response was "I don't really like propless PIN divinations. I tried it a few years ago and dropped it. I think it's better if they just write the *** thing down and then you peek at it."
Then Drew showed me his version and I loved it. I was wrong. :D
THE END
Sounds very interesting. Would it be accurate to say this technique can only be used to divine a substitute PIN rather than the participant's actual PIN number?
Drew has performed this on me and we have chatted about it and I can safely say this is the fairest propless pin divination I've experienced. It's also quite easy to do. Like everything from Drew, his attention to detail and his innate inability to provide anything other than well thought out, fully formed ideas in excruciating detail is a huge asset. I've read one of the more recent drafts and you learn the system within the first 20 pages or so... and yet there are well over 200 plus pages in the book. So there are options, ideas, practice sessions, etc. I don't normally like propless routines as like drew said above, they are very seldom that a game of 20 questions to the spectator. This does a very good job of disguising the process as normal conversation. This is something I will use.
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, elimagic wrote:
Drew has performed this on me and we have chatted about it and I can safely say this is the fairest propless pin divination I've experienced. It's also quite easy to do. Like everything from Drew, his attention to detail and his innate inability to provide anything other than well thought out, fully formed ideas in excruciating detail is a huge asset. I've read one of the more recent drafts and you learn the system within the first 20 pages or so... and yet there are well over 200 plus pages in the book. So there are options, ideas, practice sessions, etc. I don't normally like propless routines as like drew said above, they are very seldom that a game of 20 questions to the spectator. This does a very good job of disguising the process as normal conversation. This is something I will use. [/quote]

Hahaha... this was what I was trying to say. You're much more eloquent than me. Sums it up nicely.
Wow, I donít want it to seem like Iím hopping on a hype train, but I have read these and they are awesome pieces of work as typical from Drew.

Drew took existing ideas and ďcompletedĒ them. He has added his unique Backenstoss touch which elevates this propless pin divination from a puzzle to something that genuinely feels like mind reading for all involved. And as others have said, he doesnít stop there. He gives you idea after idea after idea and you are CERTAIN to find one of the systems that work well for you and your character. You get the information incredibly quickly and invisibly in a process which many performers would add as a presentational touch anyway! Itís typical Drew brilliance.

The worst thing about being Drewís friend is he makes me feel dumber than a box of rocks because his thinking is always next level.

Amalgamation is also a beautiful propless revelation of something other than a PIN. It is largely influenced by the works of Turner and Fraser, but honed in to make it 100% accurate and totally deceptive for all involved. As Iíve said, drew has a way with adding small touches which take things to the next level. This is another great example of this thinking.

If you have any interest at all in this work, you wonít be disappointed. Itís the best of the best for what it does.

P.S. Yes you can only use it to reveal a substitute PIN, but this is the gentlemanly thing to do rather than blurt out someoneís personal details.

Madison
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Sounds very interesting. Would it be accurate to say this technique can only be used to divine a substitute PIN rather than the participant's actual PIN number? [/quote]

Hi Martin,

Yes, that is an accurate statement. That's how I have always performed PIN divinations though (regardless of the method used).

If you perform pickpocketing at an event you run the risk of being accused of theft if someone misplaces one of their belongings. As a Mentalist I could be exposed to a similar risk if I reveal someone's actual PIN and subsequent to the event the account is compromised. The chances of it happening are small - yes - but I'd rather completely avoid the risk. Additionally, I've always received strong reactions using a substitute number.

From a presentation standpoint it's also incredibly easy to justify, [i]"Think about this, the PIN you just created ONLY exists in your mind. It's not like I could have looked over your shoulder while you entered it into you phone or an ATM machine. So in a lot of ways, this number is even MORE secure than your actual PIN."[/i]

Best wishes,

Drew
The only thing I need to know about this is that it has Drewís name on it!! If you have read AOTM and/or seen Drewís Penguin lecture that tells you all you need to know about Drewís releases. If you are lucky enough to have his Omni Test you know that his attention to detail is second to none. I have never seen anything from Drew, either published or not, that has failed to impress me.

Mark
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
Sounds very interesting. Would it be accurate to say this technique can only be used to divine a substitute PIN rather than the participant's actual PIN number? [/quote]

Hi Martin,

Yes, that is an accurate statement. That's how I have always performed PIN divinations though (regardless of the method used).

If you perform pickpocketing at an event you run the risk of being accused of theft if someone misplaces one of their belongings. As a Mentalist I could be exposed to a similar risk if I reveal someone's actual PIN and subsequent to the event the account is compromised. The chances of it happening are small - yes - but I'd rather completely avoid the risk. Additionally, I've always received strong reactions using a substitute number.

From a presentation standpoint it's also incredibly easy to justify, [i]"Think about this, the PIN you just created ONLY exists in your mind. It's not like I could have looked over your shoulder while you entered it into you phone or an ATM machine. So in a lot of ways, this number is even MORE secure than your actual PIN."[/i]

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]
Hi Drew,

Thanks very much for your reply. It is indeed very easy to justify not using a real pin but I think the effect loses a lot of its power that way. I much prefer Mentalism to deal in personal experiences and information, where possible; especially in conversational settings. For the same reason I think many of the incredibly clever methods that have been devised to reveal names, memories etc are badly compromised when those names, memories etc are not personal to the participant. It's always about where the compromise is made and the inability to reveal a real phone pin, for example (which, unlike an ATM pin, doesn't really suggest a terrible security risk) is compromising too early, for me, personally.

I note there is a spectator as mind reader version, however, so if that means the participant can reveal your pin (which will be taken as authentic) then I'm certainly intrigued to study that version, as I have been highly impressed by everything of yours I've seen so far.

Regards,
Martin
I am intrigued by this because if the spectators only thinks of a pin number, it is impossible to guess it unless you ask a LOT of questions. Which turns the routine into a quiz instead of mind reading.
[quote]On Nov 25, 2020, Mark Timon wrote:
I am intrigued by this because if the spectators only thinks of a pin number, it is impossible to guess it unless you ask a LOT of questions. Which turns the routine into a quiz instead of mind reading. [/quote]

This does not suffer from that syndrome :) I really despise those propless routines and this is not one of them
I am generally not a fan of any style of pin revelations. I often find them tedious, but will almost certainly pick this up because I always learn useful things from Drew's thinking... (I ordered his first book literally on the side of the highway punching info into my phone in the middle of a road trip (remember those?), because I wanted to be one of the first to order it...)
To all those who celebrate it - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I'm truly grateful that magic/mentalism has helped me see so many places, meet so many wonderful people, and gift the experience of mystery to so many audiences.

Thank you one and all who have taken a moment to comment or ask a question on this thread. I was just informed that all of the demo slots I made available for the next three weeks have been filled (that was quick!) - so I carved out a little more time tomorrow afternoon while my youngest naps :)

Just use the link at the bottom of my OP to schedule.

On another note, my friend Nique Tan just informed me that PINs in Singapore are 6 digits long. To be clear, ELEMENTARY is only designed for 4 digits. I'll see if I can accommodate two extra numbers - but that might be a nut I crack further down the road :)

Best wishes,

Drew
I suspect Nique Tan is thinking of phone pass codes rather than PINís. The standard bank card pin is 4 digits in Singapore.

Mark
Get this. Trust me (and all the others above whoíve sung its praises).
This is real, workable, solid material that you will absolutely use. Like with everything Drew releases, he has thought this through exhaustively. He couldíve stopped halfway through developing these pieces and still had an excellent product. But, if you know Drew, you know thatís just not possible for him, so you gain the tremendous benefit of his inability to stop his very clever mind from obsessing over an idea or concept. :)
There are few creators whom as soon as I see a product of theirs, I without fail and without even reading the ad copy, purchase the item. I consider 'Architect of the Mind' to be one of the finest modern mentalism books available and so, whist I havent seen this, I know it will be incredible and I cannot wait to get hold of it.

Jamie Daws
[quote]On Nov 26, 2020, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I suspect Nique Tan is thinking of phone pass codes rather than PINís. The standard bank card pin is 4 digits in Singapore.

Mark [/quote]

Hi Mark,

I did mention to Drew that I might be using phone unlock codes for the presentation of the Elementary method because of the issue with the length of our PINs. Funny story: Timon Krause lectured here last year and taught a PIN reveal. He got a shock during the performance of the routine when he realised it was 6 digits instead of 4 - needless to say he had to take longer on the method used. 🤣

He still nailed it, obviously.

Local bank cards here, when we use them at ATMs are in fact, 6 digits long. If youíre a foreigner using our ATMs here, I have read online that in such cases they will accept your card and your 4 digit PIN.

However, us locals here key in 6 digits when using ATMs or when making electronic payments.

If you havenít had Drew perform this for you, I recommend you arrange for a session. Itís something you need to experience to know how direct this feels.

~ Nique
Drew just demonstrated this for me. Whenever I hear of effect like this, I usually always feel the same way. That it is going to be long winded, contrived, and drawn out. If it feels like you are interrogating the spectator and just narrowing it down to get the info you need Ö no thanks!

This was exactly the opposite. This did not feel guided. It did not feel mathematical. It felt very natural. We all know many methods. And even if you are tracking some of what is going on, Drew has thrown in some nuances that will throw you off. A layman will not stand a chance. Most performers won't either. Its that good. I have never been a huge fan of the propless movement. But this one I will do.

I highly recommend you schedule a demo with Drew so you can experience this yourself. This is a winner!

Scott
Drew graciously demonstrated his new effect Elementary on me via zoom and I can tell you it felt amazing and very natural. Of course as a magician I needed to keep an open mind about the demonstration and it still felt very close to real mind reading. I am certainly going to order this book in order to study more of the ins and outs of the effect. The demonstration was smooth and there was no "fishing" or "pumps" of any sort that were unnatural. In all seriousness it was very good and I cant think of another pin number revelation that is so direct. Most use math or peeks and there is none of that going on what so ever and again he did this to me via zoom.

I own his first book and if you do, you know how detailed it is. I can only imagine Drew will cover every angle of this new effect and I think he told me the new book on this effect is around 230 pages...WOW.

Looking forward to the details on this. Thanks Drew.

-Isaiah
Thanks Scott and Isaiah for posting about your experience with the basic version of ELEMENTARY. It was really great to finally get a chance to (virtually) meet both you!

I've got another full day of demos this afternoon and I'm looking forward to them :)

Yesterday, I was fortunate to perform ELEMENTARY for Rob Domenech (author of "Eureka Moment"). Several years ago Rob decided to focus all of his time and talents on photography but before stepping away he gifted the magic/mentalism community with some wonderful ideas. He and I have emailed back and forth a little over the years, though we've never chatted properly. It was an absolute delight to zoom with him. After our call he kindly posted this to FaceBook:

[i]I just got off of my Zoom meeting with Drew and got to witness his routine "Elementary". Now, before I get into this, I want you to please understand that I was not asked to say something nice. Also, while I may not be in the magic/mentalism world anymore, I do have 30 years of experience in the field, so I am very familiar with the principles and concepts.

With that out of the way, "Elementary" is, indeed, an impromptu and propless PIN divination. When you think of "propless mentalism", I know that most of you will immediately start thinking about circles, triangles, anagrams and a seemingly endless amount of process. "Elementary" is none of these things. Everything in the routine makes sense and there aren't any eyebrow-raising moments. The process is straight-forward and allows the performer to have fun and play around with their performance.

Drew has constructed this routine very carefully and with great attention to detail. This is not a pipedream effect that plays out differently than it reads on the tin. If I were still performing, this is something I would always have at the ready as it truly requires nothing more than two minds. This is what propless mind reading should look like. [/i]

Thanks Rob!

Best wishes,

Drew
I was fortunate to get to experience ELEMENTARY yesterday. The routine is a thing of beauty. Building on number of principles, Drew has woven this into an incredible piece of propless mind reading. I was shocked that he was able to nail the PIN I was thinking of when so little, by the way of actual process, had occurred.

I had already planned to pick this up, but after yesterday, I donít know how Iím going to be able to wait! Thanks, Drew! (And I do mean it!)

-AH
Quick. Direct. Workable.

Those are not always words you can use to describe a propless routine. However, Elementary ticks all the boxes.

I just got off a call with Drew wherein he demonstrated the basic routine for Elementary. Too often propless methods and procedures are involved and drawn out. This is thankfully not the case with Elementary. The process here is quick, less than 10 seconds, yet feels incredibly fair. I told Drew that what impressed me most was how quickly he knew everything, AND the fact that he did in-fact know everything. This is what makes Elementary so great. The procedural parts of the routine are over so quickly that you as a performer can focus on presentation. In addition, every part of the procedure feels natural and enhances the presentation.

We discussed briefly a few of the other presentations, and I have no doubt they will be total workers. I canít wait to see what else Drew has added to this routine. The new book will be on my pre-order list as soon as it is available.
I just finished the call with Drew. Others already mentioned how direct and strong this is.

Before addressing the effect, I just want to applaud Drew for taking the time to demo this piece to the magic community (who more often than not care about figuring things out). This transparency is not only commended, but I really hope to see more creators release their effects in similar ways.

Back to Elementary, it is direct, natural, and conversational. The 'conversational' part is what appealed to me the most. Like I told Drew, I am not a big fan of the current propless wave, but this is one propless effect I see myself using.

Right before the revelation, I felt the tension of whether he got it right or wrong and the moment he revealed the PIN was such a beautiful moment.

I know I am waiting for the book as the demonstration was the basic version only. I am really interested in where Drew has taken this concept and I am looking forward to playing with it in light of other effects.

Thank you Drew for transparency and the commitment to share.
Are all the demo slots filled?
As you can tell from previous posts, Drew has been a bit busy today! In fact, he performed Elementary for me twice!! Well, the first time was due to an error in MY thinking. His directions were crystal clear, but I just had a brain fart (I blame the tryptophan from the left over turkey)..and yet, even with that, he got three of my four pin numbers correct!! Not having realized I had screwed up, I was still impressed. I thought Drew's quizzical look was just part of the performance as he told me that he had preformed this countless times over the past few days and this was only the second time he wasn't spot on. The first time was with someone from Germany...and now, me! When I told him my original thought of PIN number, I quickly realized that I had made a mistake in my thinking. But again, even with that - he got three of the four numbers correct!

Drew had to move on to the next person, but he told me that he'd love to try it with me one more time later in the day so I could experience the feeling of it hitting for all 4 digits. A half hour later, we did it again, this time, I actually followed his direction, and sure enough - he nailed.

I've avoided PIN number reveals in the past because I've found many of them tedious. That's not the case here. As many have said in earlier posts - this is direct. I also love how the method is completely motivate and justified by the process.

One last thing - although the pandemic is a terrible, terrible moment in time...it has made us all connect in unexpected ways. It was such a pleasure to be able to meet and speak with Drew today. Thanks Drew!

Bill
Adam, Chollet, ash2arani, and Bill - you are all gents for posting your experience with ELEMENTARY. Thank you, sincerely. It was really lovely meeting each of you. Bill, I agree with you - despite the current circumstances, connection (even virtual) will help us all get through this :)

Iíve now given 24 demos of this over the past two days. As Bill mentioned, two of those performances resulted it ďmissesĒ (both partial misses: one with 3 out of 4 digits correct and one with 2 out of 4 digits). Having really only ever performed ELEMENTARY for those in the US, it was actually extremely beneficial to miss while doing this for someone in Germany. We talked through what happened and discovered that a very simple additional line of script should eliminate the misunderstanding in the future. Thankfully, the book hasnít gone to print so I am able to add this consideration within the explanation :) I REALLY want people to feel confident performing this all over the world so thereís wonderful value in discovering these little touches.

Best wishes,

Drew
In the past I picked up similar routines but found them too complicated and gave up as the effort to effect ratio didnít make sense to me and I went back to my billets. Drew shared this with me quite some time ago and as a confession, I read it and kinda dismissed it early on as it felt like ďanotherĒ of those routines.

Then he performed it for me during our video call. 😳

I spent the past week learning it again; in my first performance I managed 3 out of 4 digits. I discussed this with Drew and we added in one bit of script to help correct that. Last night over dinner I tried it again and nailed all 4 digits.

If you have the chance to have Drew demo this for you, please grab the chance.

~ Nique
I was fortunate enough to have Drew demonstrate Elementary for me today. I had seen his earlier work on this, and Drew has made significant improvements since then.

Elementary is the best PIN code revelation I've seen. It's great for Zoom, a phone call, or live. I'll use this.†

I typically hate PIN code revelations for two reasons: First, I have to worry about changing my PIN code afterwards so as not to put myself (or the performer) in a vulnerable position, which is a pain. Several times when someone has offered to show me a PIN code effect, I've asked them to pick someone else so I can just watch. As the spectator, I'd much rather make up a fake PIN code. Getting a real PIN code also puts the performer in a potentially precarious position. Heaven forbid someone's account is compromised and the participant thinks back to when you got his PIN number. It's just like a pickpocket act. If a wallet goes missing after the show, guess who is a suspect? Drew understands this as he's a busy working professional. Second, the PIN code revelations I've seen in the past require a rather perilous road of mathematics that put the spectators in in uncomfortable position. Elementary is fast, straightforward, and strong.†

If you've enjoyed Drew's work in other projects such as his book, his Penguin lecture, or his book test you will love this. Highly recommended.

Tim Trono
I'd like to echo what everybody else is saying. I had the experience of Drew performing this for me over Zoom, and it was amazing!

He managed to create a routine that is very fluid, there is no convoluted process, no math. Everything feels natural.

I was also very fortunate to have received a draft copy of the book. As I'm not a native English speaker, he wanted to make sure the system works in another language. In my case, Portuguese.
I've been reading the book and practising for the past week. And, yesterday, I felt comfortable enough to give it a go for the first time on my girlfriend. It went perfect!
So, yes. There is absolutely no reason that this shouldn't work in any other language.

Drew's teaching is wonderful. I don't want to give any spoilers of the book here, but he came up with a solution to make the entire learning process of the system very easy. It can sound complicated at first, but Drew has managed to break down every single step of the system to make it simple to understand. For those worried that this will be a complicate system - NO. It is very simple to learn, understand, and, I will say - it is easy to commit to memory and never forget. It is not one of those systems that if you stay a couple of months without performing it, you will forget.

I couldn't be happier - from his demonstration to the techniques shown in the book, to the teaching, the variations, the ideas. Everything was very well thought out.

Talking about variations - there are some amazing ideas in there! As Drew is only demonstrating the basic version, I don't want to spoil the alternatives that he is providing. But I'm 100% sure a lot of you will find great ideas within those chapters.

With all that said, I only read a draft copy! The project is not even ready yet! I can't wait to see the final outcome of it. I have no doubts this will be another big hit from Drew, as it were all his previous releases.

Rodrigo.
Am following this thread with interest.

Is this a totally new method or new twist on previous work ?
I ask this because I have encountered many a pin divination that I have wasted money on.

Is this repeatable to more than one person in the same group ?

is it any 4 digit number or do restriction apply ?

Thanks for the response.

Also I do hope you consider an Ebook version for us who are cash strapped since the epidemic.

Thank you
D
Nique - Welcome to the "bi**et-less" side ;) haha! The more you perform ELEMENTARY, the more fun you have with it - and I'm certain that will go for anyone who learns the system.

Tim - Wow, thank you! Coming from you, a comment such as, "I'll use this," is humbling! Especially in light of how much I know you dislike the majority of PIN divinations.

Rodrigo - Several things about your post make me so happy to hear.

1) You learned the system in a week and then nailed your first performance of it!
2) You found no issues working the system in Portuguese (I anticipated that would be the case but wanted to be ABSOLUTELY certain).
3) You feel that the teaching is clear and easy to follow. My main objective with the book is to help readers recognize that the system is genuinely workable and actually quite simple.

Mr. Dural - Here are answers to your queries:

ELEMENTARY is my (massive) update to a previous idea. I won't state explicitly what idea that is (and I hope others will also refrain) for two reasons - first, I want people to come at this with fresh eyes in case they previously disregarded it for whatever reason; second, in the demos I'm having fun fooling people who are familiar with the idea that ELEMENTARY is based on ;)

Yes, it technically is repeatable for the same group... but if you wanted to use more than one person I'd recommend going with the two-person variant I teach. If someone followed you around from group to group in a mix-and-mingle and saw you perform this twice or more, the beauty is that they see an identical process/flow but different outcomes :)

From an audience perspective, yes it appears to be any 4 digit number - but there are restrictions in play. Again though, the process is completely motivated and congruent with the premise.

Lastly, I'm still deciding on the best way to roll out this release. Unfortunately, a few "bad apples" spoil things for everyone else (i.e. sleazy jerks who pirate material) so while eBooks are a more efficient and practical means of distribution, they also come with significant challenges.

Thanks for everyone's interest in this. When the time comes, I am extremely excited for people to start performing ELEMENTARY!

Best wishes,

Drew
Hardcover book. This deserves a place on the shelf Drew.
[quote]On Nov 30, 2020, elimagic wrote:
Hardcover book. This deserves a place on the shelf Drew. [/quote]

I agree, it would be a good-looking add to the Drew B collection.
Hey guys

I thought I would throw in my two cents

Drew and I talked briefly this weekend since we only had a few minutes

He performed this for me and I have seen my share of Pin divination and have performed some of them like

Pin divinations from Fraser Parker, Peter Turner, Luke Turner, to name a few

What Drew has created has got to be one of the most direct and streamlined versions of the plot I have ever seen

It was all over quickly and he proceeded to nail my pin.

Drew discussed where the inspiration came from in creating his which I am not at liberty to disclose but know that some of the problems that Drew felt with it he was able

To streamline it down and change it and I must agree this is within everyoneís grasp.

No longer will Mentalists be worried that the process is too convoluted but with this you will be able to do it.

Amidst there are some restrictions but everything seems very fair and above board and you will be able to guess the pin every single time.

If you are a fan of Drewís Penguin Live act, Architect of the Mind(which is one of the best books published on mentalism), Omni Book Test , then you need to invest in this since itís a no Brainer coming from one of the nicest guys in the business, plus those that have studied his work know that his material works and will work for you.

I get nothing from this mini review, itís not a full review since I havenít read the book, but wanted to share my experience on what I witnessed this weekend.

Thanks for reading, until next time.

Alex Alejandro
Really looking forward to this Drew.
I am a fan of Drew's work (Penguin Act, AOTM) as his routines suit my style, cover various contexts, themes, and outcomes, and offer many ideas and subtleties that can be applied in other ways.

So then when I read that Drew was to release his own propless PIN routine, I was very curious and rather excited, esp. considering his meticulous approach to creation and how he expertly knits and weaves methods/principles together. What's more, I have purchased a helluva lot of propless effects over the years (inc. those released before "propless" was even labelled as a subgenre) and have created my own. So, the news of Drew's propless PIN effect piqued my interest for this reason also. I was intrigued to see the approach that he would take. I know most propless PIN effects and enjoy performing them, although I have two that I consider my "go to". I can confidently say that Drew's new effect will be added to this list and may very well be the main one I use in the future!

Why? Well, Drew very kindly performed 'Elementary' for me over the weekend also. I did my best to approach it as a non-analytical participant and simply enjoy it. And...that...I...did!

It is an excellent routine. I found myself immediately engrossed in the experience, which only felt like a couple of minutes. Everything was clear, natural, justified, and, importantly, engaging! It flowed seamlessly. And perhaps most crucially, the method, performance, and effect appeared to be one and the same. This is something that many other propless creators strive for in their work, and Drew has achieved it here perfectly. Wonderful thinking and great delivery. You can't really ask for more from a propless routine, particularly a propless PIN reveal. And this is just the 'basic' effect!?! Daame! Needless to say, I can't wait to get my hands on 'Elementary', digest its contents, perfect the effect/s, and get out there and perform.

Great work Drew. And thank you for your time and generosity!

- Ross
Definitely on by Christmas list this year. I am familiar with one of Drew's propels pin deviations and it is excellent. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

-Craig
Wow, my new keyboard is having issues spelling!!
[quote]On Dec 1, 2020, craig filicetti wrote:
Wow, my new keyboard is having issues spelling!! [/quote]

I'm sure if you made your own keyboard it would be more reliable. It would probably get ripped off too!
Is the release date of this product already set?
Hi KASASAGI,

Thanks for your interest! The book is pretty much complete but there are a few logistics I'm still working through. I'm [i]hoping[/i] to have it available for purchase in January 2021 :)

I'll soon be announcing another exciting bonus that will be included with the book. You guys are going to love this!

Looking forward to another afternoon of demos with people from all over the globe. Modern communication tools are simply astounding!

Best wishes,

Drew
TL;DR
I just saw this. Drew demoed it over Zoom. Hands down I can see this as a worker. It can quickly convert a doubter into a fan. I can see it going anywhere in your set... works great as an opener... in the middle... and powerful enough to close your set. It's fantastic I am looking forward to the release and delivery into my hands. As always Drew is amazing and his attention to detail is 2nd to none.

Two thumbs waaaaaay up. I will be buying this for sure.

E
Saw this today and its so sneaky, I love it. What impressed me the most is how quick and direct it was. Can't wait to buy the book!
Saw this today.
Simply put, Drew is a worker, and it shows. He has created something that is easy, deceptive and will get some wonderful reactions.
Looking forward to hearing more!

Ori.
TL;DR
I just saw this. Drew demoed it over Zoom. Hands down I can see this as a worker. It can quickly convert a doubter into a fan. I can see it going anywhere in your set... works great as an opener... in the middle... and powerful enough to close your set. It's fantastic I am looking forward to the release and delivery into my hands. As always Drew is amazing and his attention to detail is 2nd to none.

Two thumbs waaaaaay up. I will be buying this for sure.

E
Got the chance to see Drew perform this for me over Zoom. I'm still giggling, it really got me! I thought I had some parts of the method figured out, but apparently I was fooled by several misleading presentational elements that had nothing to do with the method at all. My head is spinning. No multiple outs, it works 100% of the time, and can work for live or zoom shows. Super excited for this release. Thanks for sharing this Drew!
Eric and Ori - It was wonderful to finally meet you two! We have corresponded a bit in the past but never as directly as a zoom chat. Thank you for taking some time to see ELEMENTARY in action and then for sharing your initial thoughts on the demo :)

Kassim - Pleasure meeting you! As a note for everyone else, during a brief chat following the demo, Kassim shared a BEAUTIFUL idea that works perfectly in combination with ďSilent Elementary V1Ē! Iím hoping he will share it in the FB group for owners of the book when the time comes!

Kyle - Your reaction to the ELEMENTARY was priceless! I sincerely appreciated your gratitude regarding the ability to experience the basic version of the routine. Iím SO happy that I was able to give you a magical feeling (a rare thing after youíve been in magic for a while) ;)

General update: Iíve ordered some test prints to make sure the production is up to par. Provided that goes well, Iím thinking the book will be ready to ship mid to late January.

Best wishes,

Drew
Drew just demonstrated this on me several times and all I can say is... WTF! This is one of the best pieces of prop-less mentalism I have ever seen and after having it performed on me several times and watching it performed on someone else several times, I'm still fooled! It is so incredibly well constructed and every beat is considered, developed and executed beautifully. Drew made me think of a number with no convoluted mathematical procedure, just a four digit number. Then, without the mention of any numbers, he continued to read my mind and tell me what my number was! For the first time in a very long time I had that stomach sinking feeling right before he turned the number around to show me. That sinking feeling telling me... if he has written this down and it's correct, then he really has just read my mind somehow! I absolutely cannot wait for this to come out! I will be using this at gigs for many, many years to come and of course virtual shows! It is phenomenal!

Jamie Daws
This really is a beautiful piece of propless mentalism. Like many of the best ideas the concept behind it is very simple and then the little touches and subtleties elevate it to a masterpiece.

Mark
I want to start out by saying that this is the first time I have ever communicated with Drew. I hate hype, and I detest friends bigging up their friends releases so what follows are my honest thoughts.

What Drew has done is taken a lump of coal and polished it into a diamond. There is no long winded procedure, no math or ridiculous mental gymnastics for the participant to do. The entire routine is well thought out and completely justified. I'm buying this because what I experienced is what I want my spectators to feel...and I can do it naked on a beach..wearing only a mask.
Iím chomping at the bit for this one.
I just had a groggy Drew get out of bed early in morning in his time zone.

He performed this half asleep, and nailed the pin code for my girlfriend. Drew is now her favorite mentalist. I then un-friended him on facebook(kidding).
If youíre a mentalist- just order this, especially if you been burned by previous propless pin divinations.
The challenging part of that performance was not being half asleep - it was my 2 year old daughter hanging on my leg during the demo! Howís THAT for ďreal world conditions?! Haha 😂

My time for demos has become increasingly sparse so apologies to anyone who is still waiting to see this. Iím doing my best to juggle work, family, performing and the book release. Thanks for being patient with me!

Best wishes,

Drew
I drew demoed this for me and Iím blown away. Truly propless mentalism that can actually be done in the real world. Everything is logical, thereís no math, nothing is written and itís not heavy on procedure. Really looking forward to the release. Highest recommendation
I've had the demo scheduled for a few weeks, and it finally happened today.

By the time of the reveal, Drew had turned me into a layman and it felt like real magic.

Somehow he made me feel like I hadn't given him any information.

I loved Drew's Penguin lecture and book, and I know I'll love this.

I can't wait to add this to my repertoire.
Drew got my random, made-up on the spot Pin #, d*mmit Drew! Genius! No math, no guesswork.

Raising the bar! Again Drew (that penguin act).

When you hear propless mentalism - Max Mavenís Nothing, Atlas Brookingsí Anagrams and Train Tracking, Pete Turnerís Is3, Phedon Bilekís Proteus, even some late Fraser P material and including Ori Ascherís Mavoch has inspired my indefatigable research and practice of propless material. They have all graciously contributed some gems in recent years to our community.

However, Drewís Elementary is the topic of conversation now and itís a homerun of an effect. The structure of the script is succinct; itís very efficient and effective. Drew had me think of a random 4 digit ATM pin # that was actually more secure then my real one because itís a new and unused one. I thought of 1029. Five minutes later Drew flipped around his business card that read 1029. I felt like John Malkovichís character in Rounders cussing profusely after gotten beat by McDermont in the final game. Whatís great, is thereís no extra fluff (well thereís a fun red herring or two 😉), no awkward moments, it simply flows, right up to the reveal.

Now, I have a reason to predict a word w/ Haim Goldenbergís Camfabulation and save the #ís for Elementary.

Can we go ahead and start the thread for best book of 2021. You know my vote!

Best,

MW
No more demos available it seems...?
Irishmagic and Tim - thanks so much for your posts! I was quite pleased with both of your reactions when I revealed your PINs. Iím genuinely having a BLAST giving people a sense of wonder again ;)

Merlin - Haha! Love the Rounders reference! Just want to clarify one thing you mentioned. The performance segment of the demos Iíve been giving last approximately 5 minutes. Thereís a little one minute preamble to set the scene, one minute to generate the substitute PIN, and then right around three minutes until the reveal. I could perform the entire sequence in just two minutes but I like to have fun with the presentation (and I canít make it look TOO easy ;) ).

Durgy - Iíve got several demos scheduled for the coming week but all of the available slots have been filled (in some cases two to three weeks ahead of time). Iíve tried to fit in as many extra demos as time will allow (even doing two at 6 am to accommodate time zone differences) but my time is limited especially as the holiday approaches. Thanks for understanding :)

Best wishes,

Drew
I have been performing semi-professionally for the past 6 years or so, and while I still get impressed by methods, it has been a long time since Iíve been fooled by them. I had been anticipating this past weekendís demo ever since I scheduled it back in November, and I so desperately wanted to experience the effect as a layman. While I couldnít help but take note of some of the workings along the way, when it came time for the reveal, there was still no way in my mind that Drew had gathered all the information he needed. I was giddy, grinning ear to ear as I waited for Drew to turn his business card around and show me my number. I havenít felt that feeling in a LONG time. Super excited about this one!

Josh
Thanks so much Josh! I'm relieved to hear that I didn't disappoint the high expectations that you felt towards the demo!

I'm obviously biased, but I think there's a beautiful synergy between the method and presentation that produces the illusion that no pumping has occurred (which hopefully leaves only one conclusion - real mind reading haha!).
I've received many inquiries about the release details surrounding ELEMENTARY. I'm finally ready to share them :)

After a SIGNIFICANT amount of deliberation, I have to decided to offer three options:

[b]1) ELEMENTARY "101" for $65:[/b] A 190 page PDF covering the main system and four alternative handlings.

[b]2 ELEMENTARY "Plus" for $80:[/b] The PDF plus access to the [i]Elementary Simulator[/i].

[b]3) ELEMENTARY "Complete" for $100 (plus shipping):[/b] This includes everything in the [b]Elementary "Plus"[/b] package along with access to the devoted FaceBook group and a signed 270 page hardback book. The book includes SIX additional variants (many of my personal favorites) and THREE bonus chapters (including AMALGAMATION - my versatile, verbal technique to force information). The full content of the book will never be made available as a PDF.

[b]NOTE:[/b] You have the option to "upgrade" later on if you wish. You'd simply pay the difference (plus shipping if applicable).

What is the [i]Elementary Simulator[/i]?

This is the AMAZING brain-child of RodrigoGrando (a member of the Cafť). Several weeks ago, I shared an early draft of the book with him because I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any issues using the ELEMENTARY system in another language (Portuguese in his case). The book contains dozens of "Practice Sessions" that allow you to test yourself for comprehension after each variation. Rodrigo had the brilliant idea to program a web tool that covers [b]EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE SCENARIO[/b] that you might encounter while performing ELEMENTARY! Since then, he and I have worked together to bring you a VERY useful (and fun) tool. When applicable, the simulator even links you to a performance video that depicts the exact scenario you were just tested on. I am SO excited for people to start using this! I'm certain this will significantly reduce the learning curve and fully prepare you for live performance!

I genuinely had ZERO desire to release any of this content as a PDF. After speaking with many performers around the world, I recognize the difficulties caused not only by the current pandemic, but also shipping expenses and delays in general. For that reason, I decided to make the PDF only option available. These will be individually watermarked (and secretly marked in several other ways as well) so let me be clear:

[b]IF YOU PIRATE THE PDF I WILL KNOW![/b] (Where's Liam Neeson when I need him?!)

The PDF only contains a fraction of my full work on ELEMENTARY, it also doesn't include any of the bonus content, so there's a trade-off if you choose the [b]ELEMENTARY "101"[/b] option. If you opt for the [b]Elementary "Complete"[/b] package you will receive the PDF so you can start learning the basics while you await delivery of your book :)

My plan is to begin accepting orders early to mid January. There are just a few more loose ends I need to tie up in preparation for the launch.

If you have any questions about this project (or anything else) don't hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,

Drew
My order is requested for the big package. Love ya Drew...
Very excited for this. Thank you Drew!
So I had a demo with Drew the other night, and I don't know how to describe it, except that he mopped the floor with me and it felt great, lol! I haven't felt that mystified for a VERY long time. This is the most organic, impromptu, deceptive work on the PIN premise I'm aware of!

Since it is from Drew, I figured it would be solid, practical, and well worth the cashola, but I secretly doubted it would be as deceptive and procedure-light as it promised, just based on many other similar effects with similar promises that turned out to be... not quite true, sometimes laughably so.

Drew just had me come up with a fresh PIN in my head, clarified a couple of minor points, didn't do anything which felt off or suspect. As we chatted amiably, the suspense I felt was real, because I actually thought I might have messed it up and he wasn't going to get it. He built it up like the professional he clearly is, and I was gritting my teeth with tension. When he revealed my PIN, I was actually in shock, and burst out laughing. I think I dropped my head into my hands a couple of times. Floored, completely baffled, and THOROUGHLY entertained!!

Wow, what a perfect little piece! And he tells me he just used the basic method, and there are tons of variants included, some even better and easier. He tells me he actually had the full number about ten seconds after I made it up, and the rest was mainly just presentation and buildup. He tells me it is a simple, concrete system that works about 100% of the time.

One of my specs once walked away after a card trick saying, "Nope, no way, that is some freaky-ass satanic voodoo sh!t..." I sometimes recall that phrase when I see something that hits me really, really hard. And I thought it last night. Folks, when you reveal your spec's PIN, or when they reveal [i]yours[/i], it going to be a wallop of astonishment!

Give me the DELUXE version, please, obviously!! Can't wait to dive in, obviously haven't read it yet, but my prediction for [i]Elementary[/i]--already written, sealed, and mailed to the mayor--reads "TEN out of TEN, this gets my highest recommendation!"

Seth
Hello All,

So I experienced Elementary last Saturday, and must say it was really special. It's a great answer to the question we all get "so how do you do what you do?"

The "process" (for lack of a better term) has a few limitations, but I honestly believe that it actually helps make this feel more genuine and casual. Everything Drew discusses during the performance just makes sense. If you really did have the power to read minds you would make pretty much the same exact statements Drew makes.

What I'd really like to highlight though is the conversational tone that Drew goes into while performing. It's something I hope he discusses in the book and something I'm fairly confident he will. This entire thing just felt fun in a way that mentalism doesn't always feel. Him and I were working together to try and reach the same goal and it felt like an entertaining game that we both got to win at the end. I can't think of anything much better for a casual moment of mind reading. Plus that final line was awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing Drew, and not keeping it to yourself.

Best,
Brandon
I donít have anything to add that hasnít already been said. This is strong and fun. Weíre living in good times for mentalism. Propless has come a long way. Drew you killed it as expected. Highest recommendations.
Seth: Your reaction to the demo was priceless! I think you (along with the help of your unnamed participant from a bygone performance) just invented a new scale to rate the impact of magic - the "F.A.S.V.S."! Haha!

Brandon: That is a truly lovely compliment - thank you! I genuinely enjoy performing ELEMENTARY so it's extremely rewarding to hear that you experienced a sense of fun as well! And I agree with your statement regarding the restrictions present in the process. Giving everything a solid internal logic was one of my principal points of focus during the creation/scripting of the routine. Glad to hear I hit the mark!

252life: "Propless has come a long way." It has indeed! Having a quiver full of different arrows prepares you for any context in which you may find yourself performing. ELEMENTARY and AMALGAMATION (the bonus concept included in the "Complete" package) are beautifully direct and impactful "arrows" ready to deploy when a standard "bow" isn't prudent or desired ;)
Mathieu Lesieur asked that I post this for him because he isn't a member of the Cafť:

[i]"I had the chance to have a zoom demo from Drew a few days back, and I really enjoyed feeling fooled again!

The routine felt absolutely natural and Drew correctly uncovered my PIN after a few minutes. I am French, and the way Drew performed the effect proved that it works well anywhere in the world. This is an effect I can imagine being performed impromptu, casually, or part of a bigger piece with no hesitation.

The effect is extremely strong, even in the "basic" version Drew performed with me. I canít wait to read the other variations knowing the dedication and the level of details Drew got us used to with his previous work.

I am now waiting for ELEMENTARY to be out (I will certainly go for the Complete version!) to dive into the details of this amazing effect.

Thanks Drew!"[/i]

Thank YOU Mathieu! One of the reasons I've dedicated time to giving demos is to prove that ELEMENTARY is effective regardless of where you live and perform.

Best wishes,

Drew
People who pay $65 for a PDF of a propless "invented PIN" divination aren't going to be given access to the Facebook group?

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with the Mentalism selling "business" right there.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, Martin Pulman wrote:
People who pay $65 for a PDF of a propless "invented PIN" divination aren't going to be given access to the Facebook group?

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with the Mentalism selling "business" right there. [/quote]

That seems like a strange decision. As long as someone can prove they bought it it seems like they should be let in. I'm sure there is a reason though.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, cardistry master wrote:

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with the Mentalism selling "business" right there. [/quote]

That seems like a strange decision. As long as someone can prove they bought it it seems like they should be let in. I'm sure there is a reason though. [/quote]
Presumably it's for fear that the elite buyers will blab about the bonus routines to the peasants.

A really poor look, regardless. Better to just sell the effect and let buyers discuss it together on the Facebook group.
Hi Martin and Cardistry Master.

The (difficult) decision to release a PDF version of ELEMENTARY was motivated by a desire to make the basic system(s) more accessible to performers who live in areas of the world where shipping costs and timeframes make "delivery only" options less attractive.

My original plan was to release this as a physical book ONLY for $100. In order to feel comfortable sending PDFs, I devised "tiered" options to reward those who chose to support the physical book.

Beyond offering differentiated value propositions (there's a $5 marketing term for you!), the main reason the FB group is only available to those who purchase the "Complete" package is because I anticipate that the group will be openly discussing all of the bonus content found in the physical book. The PDF only options don't include the bonus content and it would be unfair to those who invested more in the project if everyone was given equal access to that content.

Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it? I work hard to provide EXCEPTIONAL value to those who invest in my work. I am very confident that buyers will feel that all of the packages are a STEAL at their given price points due the all of the thought, refinements, tools and options I am sharing at each level.

I'm not the bad guy here... bottom-feeders who pirate other's work are our common enemy. I'm not going to let them purchase the PDF at $65 AND give them full access to all of my work on this concept.

Lastly, I am not forcing anyone to purchase this (or any of my other releases). I am under no obligation to sell my ideas at "fast-food prices."

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Hi Martin and Cardistry Master.

The (difficult) decision to release a PDF version of ELEMENTARY was motivated by a desire to make the basic system(s) more accessible to performers who live in areas of the world where shipping costs and timeframes make "delivery only" options less attractive.

My original plan was to release this as a physical book ONLY for $100. In order to feel comfortable sending PDFs, I devised "tiered" options to reward those who chose to support the physical book.

Beyond offering differentiated value propositions (there's a $5 marketing term for you!), the main reason the FB group is only available to those who purchase the "Complete" package is because I anticipate that the group will be openly discussing all of the bonus content found in the physical book. The PDF only options don't include the bonus content and it would be unfair to those who invested more in the project if everyone was given equal access to that content.

Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it? I work hard to provide EXCEPTIONAL value to those who invest in my work. I am very confident that buyers will feel that all of the packages are a STEAL at their given price points due the all of the thought, refinements, tools and options I am sharing at each level.

I'm not the bad guy here... bottom-feeders who pirate other's work are our common enemy. I'm not going to let them purchase the PDF at $65 AND give them full access to all of my work on this concept.

Lastly, I am not forcing anyone to purchase this (or any of my other releases). I am under no obligation to sell my ideas at "fast-food prices."

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]

Makes sense. Like I said I'm sure there is a reason.
Martin, out of curiosity, how can you accurately assess the value of ELEMENTARY unless you've read it? [/quote]
Hi Drew,

Where have I assessed the value of the effect? I don't need to know anything about the value of the effect to disapprove of sellers barring buyers from entering a Facebook group.

If you've paid good money for an effect (and during a global pandemic when millions are struggling to put food on their table, referring to "fast-food prices" is a rather unfortunate and surprising mis-step for someone so attuned to marketing) I think you should have access to the Facebook group. It's about the principle. The effect being good or bad is irrelevant.

I hope you reconsider.

Regards,
Martin
Hello All.

There is an important and probably fascinating conversation to be had about cost, value, ip, theft of that ip, etc in the magic community. I would love to have it, and have some thoughts on the matter. But I'm going to do my best to refrain from that too much now, because this topic has a very specific purpose and I believe it does a disservice to all reading to derail that.

An obvious point must be made that Drew has the right to charge whatever he wants for whatever he has to offer and anyone has the right to feel that it's too expensive. Both opinions aren't really debatable. So there's that before I get too started.

Also want to make the point that I do not know Drew from Adam. My first contact with him was to set up a zoom call to see Elementary in action.

My main point is this idea that time has value and I feel many in the magic community have gotten a bit spoiled. Not sure why someone can expect Drew to moderate a facebook group, offer up new ideas to those in said group, and do so for an unforeseen amount of time and that, that doesn't have value. I have no idea how much Drew charges for a show, but from his polish it's safe to assume he isn't cheap and charges more than $100. So let's say that the basic premise of Elementary is worth $65. So now for $35 more you're getting something physical, more ideas, and an amount of time of Drews that could be hours and hours, time not spent doing a show or a day job that will bring in much more income than typing up a facebook post for his readers. Isn't that worth something?

Now, many creators are also offering facebook groups for their work at no charge. That is generous of them, but I don't think you can expect that of everyone just because some do. If that were the case then every performer would only charge the same amount as the cheapest magician for their shows. We all have different time constraints and we all place different value on that time. Drew has been very selective in what he's released, but has proven himself to over deliver on everything so far. I feel we should also reward that level of commitment with the benefit of the doubt. The product isn't even released and some are upset about he price. Doesn't it make sense to leave that kind of umbrage for the people who have a reputation that deserves it?

To bring this back to the more specific topic of Elementary. Without even knowing all of the workings I think it has value in what it can allow you to do. I don't see myself performing this on stage necessarily. For my style I believe this fits more comfortably in a casual circumstance. But with Elementary I have a fun, fooling, engaging piece that I can use to show anyone what it is I do, something mentalist often have trouble doing. So now at any time I can amaze any potential customer with a piece that introduces the concept of mind reading. If, for the rest of my life, I get one show from performing this the investment is made back many dozens and dozens of times over. That's how I plan to use this. I've found few things that can offer that.

Drew is also giving us hours of his time showing this to people to help them make informed decisions. Now, obviously, this has marketing value to him, but this thread had been read many times and and is coming close to 5 pages. the buzz is abound and he could generate just as much doing 3-5 of these zooms, but he still keeps doing it. Some of that's probably because he's a bit wicked and wants to see as many heads explode as possible. LOL. But I'm also confident a large part of this time he's giving is just to help his future customers.

Drew is also giving those customers options. Something that not everyone does. This gives him more work, but gives people a freedom to decide for themselves how much this offering is worth. Personally I want it all! LOL. But I can save 35% if that's what I wanted to spend.

Pretty sure that's way more than anyone wants to hear from me, so I'll end it there. and let this thread get back to being what it should be. A space to discuss an exciting new piece of mind reader from a great guy in this art/business we all enjoy together.

Have a wonderful day, all.
Best,
Brandon
I really don't understand how only including the facebook group with the most expensive option would affect piracy. Anyway I'm interested in this and am hopeful that there will be more demo sessions eventually.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, chosen1 wrote:
I have no idea how much Drew charges for a show, but from his polish it's safe to assume he isn't cheap and charges more than $100. So let's say that the basic premise of Elementary is worth $65. So now for $35 more you're getting something physical, more ideas, and an amount of time of Drews that could be hours and hours, time not spent doing a show or a day job that will bring in much more income than typing up a facebook post for his readers. Isn't that worth something?
[/quote]
Much (most?) of the ideas on Facebook groups are provided by purchasers of the effect. For free. If we're going to be all hard-headed businessman about this will Drew be paying contributors for their ideas, or does this "time is money" thing only work one way?

The product isn't even released and some are upset about he price. Doesn't it make sense to leave that kind of umbrage for the people who have a reputation that deserves it?
[/quote]
Who has written anything about being upset by the price? And even if someone had they are perfectly entitled to do so. Latest and Greatest is for potential buyers to discuss new products, not for people selling products to be given unlimited, uncontested advertising.

And the very fact the product isn't yet released means the price is one of the few solid factual things that can be discussed.

I really hope this thread doesn't descend into another pile-on where people are afraid to give their honest thoughts. We've had enough of that over the years. Drew has released some interesting variations on the work of others -standing on the shoulders of giants to streamline routines in an entertaining and creative way, but I don't think we've reached the point where his every utterance and release has to be treated with the accompanying scent of burning incense. I'd be very surprised if he believed that to be the case.
I personally have zero issues with how Drew is releasing this and think itís fair. I wouldnít buy a coach ticket and then expect to be allowed to wander into first class and grab a seat. People have options here. Also, if someone purchases the pdf version and then decides to upgrade, I believe Drew made that an option as well. That allows for testing the waters for anyone unsure if theyíll like the product. He has the right to market and price however he sees fit and we can buy it itís agreeable. This is one of the best purchases Iíve made and canít speak highly enough about it, so for me the values there.
Anyway, good luck to all. This is a winner of a effect/system.
Martin: Sorry to disappoint you. The release details for ELEMENTARY are set. Again, no one HAS to buy this. The only person referencing "elite buyers" and "peasants" is you sir. If someone picks up ELEMENTARY "101" and wants to dive deeper they are welcome to upgrade at a later time (and only pay the difference). How often is that offer made within the magic community? I find it interesting that you've hyper-focused on the FB group but made no comment regarding the added value of the Simulator, a (signed) physical book and nearly 75 pages of additional content.

Brandon: Thank you for you considered reply. 100% yes - I assign a value to my time. Moderating a FB group and providing high caliber after-sales service takes time. (SIDE NOTE: I'll be curious to see if the two stage variations change your mind about performing ELEMENTARY within that context ;) )

Cardisty Master: Access to the FB group is not about piracy. It's about bonus content that people would receive without making the investment in the "Complete" package. Regarding demos - I am taking a few weeks off because time is becoming increasingly scarce. I have two daughters (2 and 6 years old) and want to cherish the years when this time of year is full of magic.

252life: Thank you for input. So happy to hear that you found ELEMENTARY worthy of your time and money. Just so everyone understands your mention of purchasing this - I have granted early access to a few people who are helping me test the Simulator and providing feedback on the book. My goal is to make this something that people not only enjoy reading but also (and more importantly) PERFORMING. Those who have received early access have all paid full price for the information.

Best wishes,

Drew
Martin: Sorry to disappoint you. The release details for ELEMENTARY are set. Again, no one HAS to buy this. The only person referencing "elite buyers" and "peasants" is you sir. If someone picks up ELEMENTARY "101" and wants to dive deeper they are welcome to upgrade at a later tim (and only pay the difference). How often is that offer made within the magic community? I find it interesting that you've hyper-focused on the FB group but made no comment regarding the added value of the Simulator, a (signed) physical book and nearly 75 pages of additional content.

Brandon: Thank you for you considered reply. 100% yes - I assign a value to my time. Moderating a FB group and providing high caliber after-sales service takes time. (SIDE NOTE: I'll be curious to see if the two stage variations change your mind about performing ELEMENTARY within that context ;) )

Cardisty Master: Access to the FB group is not about piracy. It's about bonus content that people would receive without making the investment in the "Complete" package. Regarding demos - I am taking a few weeks off because time is becoming increasingly scarce. I have two daughters (2 and 6 years old) and want to cherish the years when this time of year is full of magic.

252life: Thank you for input. So happy to hear that you found ELEMENTARY worthy of your time and money. Just so everyone understands your mention of purchasing this - I have granted early access to a few people who are helping me test the Simulator and providing feedback on the book. My goal is to make this something that people not only enjoy reading but also (and more importantly) PERFORMING. Those who have received early access have all paid full price for the information.

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]

Ok I guess I misunderstood then. I understand with the demo sessions. The simulator is a very good idea. I wish more propless mentalism things would do that.
[quote]
Much (most?) of the ideas on Facebook groups are provided by purchasers of the effect. For free. If we're going to be all hard-headed businessman about this will Drew be paying contributors for their ideas, or does this "time is money" thing only work one way? [/quote]

You're making a good point Mr. Pulman. I'm basing this on the assumption that Drew will be a very active participant in the group. From how responsive he is on this thread and how much time he has spent sharing this with others I feel it's a safe assumption, but still an assumption. I go back to my earlier point about people being able to charge what they want for their time. If a customer wants to share their ideas and thoughts on FB they are more than welcome to, but if they don't feel that's worth their time they can just read what's there.

I work as a screenwriter, doing something that many people do for free or for less than what I do. I've decided what the time it takes me to write a script is worth. Some people make 10x what I make and some make 10x less. But I've reached a level where I'm happy with what I make and am happy to let others make what they want to make. Drew's time is worth to him whatever he says it is, and people buy or don't buy based on if they agree with his valuation.

I think it's also important to understand that the FB group is not all you're getting for the complete package. There are other ideas, pages, and physical product all of which also have cost and value.

[quote]

If I mistook your quote here improperly I'm truly sorry. Problem of tone on the internet. I felt that this was you showing your displeasure with the pricing. But I definitely defer to you knowing what you mean more than I do.

[quote]
I really hope this thread doesn't descend into another pile-on where people are afraid to give their honest thoughts. We've had enough of that over the years. Drew has released some interesting variations on the work of others -standing on the shoulders of giants to streamline routines in an entertaining and creative way, but I don't think we've reached the point where his every utterance and release has to be treated with the accompanying scent of burning incense. I'd be very surprised if he believed that to be the case. [/quote]

Definitely don't feel the need to praise anything, just the desire to do so. I've never met Drew at all. He just performed something for me that I found really intriguing. And I found his Penguin Lecture to be incredible. As one of the best rated lectures on the site I definitely feel in good company. But If I din't find Elementary to be good I easily would have said so. I've grown up in the Hollywood "biz" my entire life. Have no problem sharing my opinion. This one just happens to be good. I'll get Elementary and offer a review as soon as possible. Good or bad.

My only thought was he's earned the benefit of the doubt for now. And feel we should see the product before showing displeasure at it's pricing. But again if the is not the point you were making then I am sorry for my misinterpretation.

Appreciate your thoughts and the discussion Mr. Pulman.

Best,
Brandon
Hello Drew.

I'm sorry your message came while I was typing mine.

I'm always open to having my mind changed. LOL. I'll definitely take a look at the stage version and give it a shot.

Best,
Brandon
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, 252life wrote:
I personally have zero issues with how Drew is releasing this and think itís fair. I wouldnít buy a coach ticket and then expect to be allowed to wander into first class and grab a seat.[/quote]
I really hope this isn't the way the Mentalism community is going, with talk of people in first class while others are in coach. Especially not at the present time.
[quote]On Dec 23, 2020, 252life wrote:
I personally have zero issues with how Drew is releasing this and think itís fair. I wouldnít buy a coach ticket and then expect to be allowed to wander into first class and grab a seat.[/quote]
I really hope this isn't the way the Mentalism community is going, with talk of people in first class while others are in coach. Especially not at the present time. [/quote]

Yes you caught me, itís a big social statement like someone mentioning fast food was.
Or, it could be that I was saying weíre all only entitled to what we pay for.
Iím not much of a socialist.

Back on topic. Iím so impressed with this release that Iím about to shoot Drew another congratulatory email about it in the hopes his head will swell.
Peace out comrades.
Hey everyone,

So, first off, I had a chance for Drew to perform this on me about 1 month ago, and I agree with what everyone stated in posts. The performance was spot-on, brilliant, and had me giggling.

A little back story, for those that don't know what I do. Since March, I have been working on the COVID-19 glass vials that are being distributed to Pfizer/Moderna, and work has actually increased for me. It was one of those things, being in the pharma industry, then this pandemic started, and all of a sudden I am swarmed with lots more work.

I just recently got some vacation time until Jan 4, and starting mid January I will be partially moving on/off near Philadelphia, in hopes of getting more glass vials to our customers faster.

Back to Elementary & Drew: I actually purchased the complete package for $100 USD, and Drew gave me early access to test out the simulator and learn the basics.
Bear in mind, I have not read the extra content, that will be in the physical book, but I have read the whole system, all the variations, as well as everything related to the basic system, and subleties.

At first, it may all seem a bit overwhelming, but its pretty easy to wrap your head around it, once you start to understand the system, and test out the simulator.

about 2 days after reading everything thoroughly, and testing the simulator lots, I did my first performance over zoom to a friend, and he we floored, and said it was really clean.
yesterday, I performed it 2 times, once on Zoom, and one last night live. Again, flawless.

Once you understand everything, its pretty easy to go into performance mode, and nail this every single time.

Now I cannot give a full detailed review of the book, since there is a lot more extra content that will be inside, and I want to perform it more before giving more thoughts, but I can say in the 3 times that I have performed it, I am really enjoying performing this.

What I can say is that the book is full of different ways you can perform this, and you can pick and choose how you want to perform and present this.

For you international people, you will be able to do this as well, as everything is covered.

BUT....and this is important...........when you receive the book, please read the Elementary first, so you can understand everything in its entirety, and then once you go to the International version, you will pick it up right away. If you skip to the Intl version first, you might get lost.

I urge readers to read everything completely first time around.

Simulator is great in being able to test your knowledge, different PINS, and being able to know whether you are right or wrong. Very similar like if you were going to perform it for real.

I get nothing from Drew for saying this stuff, and I paid full price for my book, and I feel that this PIN divination will be a worker among many of you, and you will pick it up quickly, and it will be a staple in your online or live shows for many years to come.

Its that good, and Drew has ironed out all the kinks in the routine.

Like I said, when I post my full review when the book comes out with all the extra content, I will, and I will have many more performances under my belt and will able to tell you all about my experiences with this.

For now, only having it 5 days, and performing it 3 times, I can say its great, and I will definitely continue to use it every chance I get.

MY honest thoughts.

Alex Alejandro
Couldnít agree more Alejandro. The simulator is fun btw. Also, it may appear challenging at first blush but itís actually extremely straight forward and quickly intuitive. Give it a few read throughs and before you know it, you know it :)
I've been meaning to write about this since Drew kindly demoed it online for me. Along the way I've been involved in helping to develop and write some of the other releases that have covered similar ground in the 'propless arena'. We always set out to make the effect for the audience as clean as possible whilst trying to minimise the process - and I can honestly say that Drew's routine is one of the cleanest and most streamlined versions I've ever seen. I'm really excited to read all of the variations of his work on this. I have read and understood the opposing views regarding the pricing structure that Drew is adopting - I respect all of them, but in my mind I wouldn't hesitate to get the full package and (like most things in mentalism) if I can't afford the things that I want I'll wait and save up. On this, I think that Drew is pretty much in a 'no-win' situation either way. We are in hard times for many, but he is entitled to (and I'd say should) also set a fair price for his work and there is never an easy way to please everyone's expectations - all he can do is to remain true to what he believes is the value of what he is offering and others will decide whether they agree. I can empathise with the different views expressed, particularly in the current global situation, but having seen the 'basic' routine and briefly discussed what is being offered I am confident that all packages outlined will be good value for money. This is a strong routine and I am sure that those who invest will be happy with what they get. The offer to upgrade for the difference is also very fair. I hope that the thread won't be dominated by that issue and can now focus on the routine itself. I appreciate that's hard before it's released (in January) but from having seen it demoed I am sure the feedback will be very positive when the reviews start to flood in. What I've seen from Drew so far has impressed me, and this looks to me like a great release. I'll happily purchase a copy, and congratulations to him for some great thinking.
Congrats on the new release, Drew. Iíll be looking to get this but I also need to pick up Architect of the Mind. Any chance you will do any bundle specials like you did with your lecture?

Just figured I would ask. :)

Merry Christmas to everyone here!
Just wanted to chime back in here with a few things.

First and foremost: Drew is one of the kindest people Iíve ever met in magic. I assure you he is not trying to be mean by not admitting some people to the group. It seems pretty obvious to me. People pay a premium price for access to an entire bonus effect which he could have released on its own. This bonus effect WILL eventually be discussed on FB. Therefore, if you donít have the complete set, you canít be admitted to FB where discussions may turn to some of the material that was made exclusive to the people who opted for the larger package. Pretty simple there.

As for the book itself, I first read a draft of it in September and admittedly, I was overwhelmed. Drew has structured the book in such a way that he tries to make it as easy as possible to learn, but when reading the book cover to cover in one sitting as I did, it was a LOT of information. Itís better to read the first portion of the book, go to the simulator and get familiar with the ins and outs, and then once you feel comfortable with that, move on to the next stage. This will help you wrap your head around it.

Whatís crazy is once you understand it, itís INCREDIBLY simple and intuitive. Once you understand why it works, thereís nothing to memorize or work out in your head. It all just snaps into place. This is so much the case that when I went back and reread it last week, I found myself cracking up at myself for being overwhelmed by something which is so basic and easy. My initial problem was trying to absorb ALL of the info in one go. This isnít one of those pieces. Read each piece, fully understand it, and then move on to the next piece. This will give you all of the knowledge you need and significant lower the learning curve.

This is something I will be using in the new year significantly. Iím so excited for its release and Iím so excited to see the enthusiasm of people who have experienced the effect first hand. That is a true testament to the power of this piece. Remember these comments arenít from Drewís friends. They are from strangers experiencing the effect for the first time. This is a big difference to how most propless effects are released. In most cases, a full performance is never shown and the only people commenting on the thread are the creators friends gassing him up. Clearly, Elementary is something special and Drew is a special species who deserves all of the mild praise he is receiving here (but heís too humble to ever admit that.)

Madison

I work as a screenwriter, doing something that many people do for free or for less than what I do. I've decided what the time it takes me to write a script is worth. Some people make 10x what I make and some make 10x less. But I've reached a level where I'm happy with what I make and am happy to let others make what they want to make.[/quote]
Hi Brandon,

I'm also fortunate/unfortunate enough to work in the film/TV business. One of my jobs is optioning the scripts and properties for development at our production company. If we were ever fortunate enough to option a screenplay from you -at whatever price- I'd hope you'd supply us with a complete draft and we wouldn't have to pay you extra to find out the ending.

Charging extra for a physical book or for access to a simulator is perhaps understandable but I sincerely hope other creators don't try and copy this marketing model where you have to pay extra for access to a Facebook group. It would be a very depressing development. Not everything has to be monetized.

Regards,
Martin
Hello Mr. Pulman.

Lol. Your fortunate/unfortunate line is so apt. Greatest job in the world, but man is it difficult sometimes. So so so accurate.

Thank you for your work! Anyone who helps in development or to put money in writerís pockets as you do, is awesome!

Your analogy is very interesting. Youíre definitely speaking my language. Iíd like to offer an addition to that about how I see this. Please feel free to disagree.
As you know options can vary in length. Usually a year but 18 months is pretty common too especially now with how Wild West the landscape has been this year. Would your company offer me a one year option and then expect me to extend it for another 6 months without an additional payment? The same way I wouldnít take payment for a year treatment and after 6 month start shopping elsewhere.

I also donít see any tier that Drew mentioned that said pay extra for the Facebook group. Could have missed something but each tier comes with additional content /or a physical book and/or the simulator. Is this not the case Mr. Pulman or are you just expressing a general concern that this could become the case?

And if you ever need a horror script let me know. Lol. Iím finishing one with a magic bend next month. Good luck sir. Itís so crazy right now I hope youíre doing well and your business is navigating as best it can.

Hello MDantes, thank you for sharing. I do think it might be better for the conversation as a whole if we all softened are tones. Forums are nothing if not a place for opinions especially of the varied kind. At this point I do not agree with Mr. Pulman but hope the tone has remained polite. Your idea of taking these pricing discussions to a private correspondence is a great idea though. Or perhaps a new thread about general pricing practices so this discussion can remain focused. Iíd be happy to start one if others are interested and think it could be very enlightening.

At the end of the day, Drew has created something really great. Heís been kind enough to share it with anyone wants it. Given us several options on how we can add it to our collection. And itís all coming very soon. Heís released incredible material in the past so, for my money, heís earned the benefit of the doubt he has never, as far as I know not delivered top notch material and over delivered. No reason to believe he wonít do so again.

Best,
Brandon
Great post!
Personally Iíd like to see this distraction treated as such and ignored.
ELEMENTARY is a big slice of genius and I think Drew deserves every penny he chooses to charge.
Hey Drew,

Your ELEMENTARY full package book costs as much as your ARCHITECT OF THE MIND book.Reading the reviews of your ATOM,it seems that it was well worth the money and even a STEAL at this price.
ELEMENTARY costs the same and it is after all 100$ for one piece of propless mentalism.Again,reading the reviews of your ATOM you seem a great guy,therefore the ELEMENTARY book should be worth it.
I am looking into buying the full ELEMENTARY package.You mentionned that the shipping is 5$,but is it worldwide shipping or only for U.S.?Would it cost more internationally?
Also,are you still not performing it on zoom or are you back at it?Would love to see a performance.
I hope that Drew sells as many books as he wishes but at what point in the past we have lost sight of what direct and simple mentalism is. If I have to have a conversation with the participant and restrict his choice, it wouldnít be simpler to use acidus novus or if via internet a nail writer?
Happy purchase

Regards
Robert P. - You are absolutely correct - no harm in asking! I wouldn't be opposed to a "bundle deal" with AOTM and ELEMENTARY... but the truth is, there are only 11 remaining copies of AOTM available for purchase. So, it wouldn't be something I could offer for long. If you (or anyone else) is interested in having the discussion feel free to PM me :)

klegy - Yes, I have been told by many that I didn't charge enough for AOTM. In a similar vein, I'm confident that you'll find ELEMENTARY (especially the "Complete" package) is much more than "one piece of propless mentalism" :) Keep in mind, if you'd like to test the waters before making the larger investment, ELEMENTARY "101" is an option. Regarding shipping, I don't recall ever specifying anything about costs... I plan on using USPS 2-day Priority ($8) for all US orders. I am still trying to find the most cost effective (but dependable) international courier. If anyone has suggestions don't hesitate to PM me! Part of the uncertainty stems from the fact that I don't yet have the final printed book in my possession, therefore I have to guess on the parcel weight.

Mark Timon - As I'm sure you appreciate, there's a time and place for any method. Every technique comes with compromises and considerations. I will say though, I've always wanted to perform ELEMENTARY in front of a room full of magicians but make one adjustment - I'd have the person commit to the PIN in writing. I'm QUITE confident that under those circumstances, the majority of magicians would think they just witnessed the most deceptive peek in existence ;) I hardly every find myself in the company of other performers so I'll never know for sure - but my gut says it would fry them. ("FOOL US" here I come haha!)

Best wishes,

Drew
I read 15% or 20% of the book, and I performed it the same day (I know, I know, very foolish, but I was excited and I tend to do that).
I'm so grateful I was able to see one of the early edits of Elementary.

Elementary is BRILLIANT.

More importantly, I can't wait to put this in my show.
This is coming from someone who used to hate propless mentalism (I still do hate 99% of propless mentalism)
but now I have a lot of experience with a couple good ones.
--------------------------------------
In reply to Mark Timon's comment,
"If I have to have a conversation with the participant and restrict his choice,
it wouldnít be simpler to use acidus novus or if via internet a nail writer?"

Neither Acidus Novus nor a nail writer is like Elementary.
Your comment seems to say "Elementary has compromises, but a nail writer or Acidus Novus doesn't have compromises."

Comparing Elementary versus a nail writer is like comparing an app trick versus a nail writer.

Yes, when you perform propless, you have a conversation with your participant (compromise).
You restrict the choice (compromise) ... but if your participant is left with the impression that you restricted her choice,
then frankly that's not Elementary.
What's the latest info you nail wrote? a phone number?
Did your participant say, "Why did you restrict me to just a 3 digit number? I want to think of a five or ten digit number."
Of course not.
The art in mentalism is making such restrictions (compromises) seem justified, motivated, invisible, or even shaping their perception of it so they feel it's even more personal or impossible.

Propless mentalism has gotten me out of several snafus--no signal from the app trick, etc.
Having something like this always in your pocket (because you need no pockets for it) is like having a superpower.
Being a capable mentalist--independent of gimmicks--gives the mentalist confidence,
and having this superpower can only add to your credibility when you grab your gimmicks.

In the hundreds of virtual shows I've done in 2020, propless methods like Elementary are a hundred times better than Acidus Novus (for obvious reasons).
I've used a nail writer many times in those shows, but Elementary has none of the compromises of a nail writer:
1. You need paper (and probably pencil/marker)
2. You need your gimmick
3. With your nail writer you restrict her choice anyway (be honest)
4. She always needs to say her thought first, then you reveal the "prediction" (you can frame it a different way, but audiences do start to pick up on this pattern. It is CATEGORICALLY different when you tell her what she's thinking)
5. "You want me to say it out loud?" (proceed with necessary 'conversation' with your participant, even though you're using a nail writer)
6. Finally, the reveal. Sometimes the writing is illegible because it snagged that time/you were nervous/the tip broke/your 8s suck
7. The nail writer has been and can be exposed in a single sentence.

The above are compromises you carry when you nail write.
Not trying to bash it, just pointing out the obvious--everything has a compromise.
Amen
Hi Drew,

Will you be releasing more demo dates ?
Brainbu$ter - I'm very happy to hear that you're so excited by ELEMENTARY! It's definitely one of those routines that you can't wait to run with. No judgments on giving it your first test drive the same day you learned it haha.

durgy - I appreciate your interest. I'm taking a few weeks off of demos (mainly so I can use that time to finalize the project). There's a little promo video currently in the works though. That should provide a good feel for the routine in the absence of a live demo :)

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Dec 27, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Robert P. - You are absolutely correct - no harm in asking! I wouldn't be opposed to a "bundle deal" with AOTM and ELEMENTARY... but the truth is, there are only 11 remaining copies of AOTM available for purchase. So, it wouldn't be something I could offer for long. If you (or anyone else) is interested in having the discussion feel free to PM me :)
[/quote]

That would be great, thanks. Sent a PM your way.

Looking forward to seeing the promo video, should be great.
At 12:00pm, I jumped on a call with Drew.
At 12:50pm, my pocket was $100 lighter. I want to be the first to receive this and I'm not taking any chances!

Drew, thank you for taking time to walk me through this... I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said. I NEED to be performing this ASAP. Please hurry!

Durgy
It was a pleasure to chat with you Durgy! Thanks for taking a moment to post AND for trusting me enough to invest in ELEMENTARY :)

Just to clarify for everyone - moving forward I don't have any plans to continue setting aside a few hours each week for demos. I will, occasionally, still arrange a zoom call if schedules easily line up (such was the case with Durgy).

This also hasn't been officially launched. Those who have this already paid full price for it and understand that it will be several weeks before the physical book is ready to ship. These "early access" copies give me a chance to refine my procedures for sending the PDF etc. in preparation for opening up sales completely.

Happy New Year everyone!

Best wishes,

Drew
Just called with Drew. This is the single best propless PIN divination I have seen. In fact, I believe it's probably the single best propless piece I have seen, period. The presentational freedom is astounding, as are Drew's numerous subtleties and his wonderful scripting.

Really, really great.
I was able to see this firsthand recently and thought this thread can use all the positivity it can get. I donít leave reviews oftenóusually because Iím hypercritical.

I judge material based on the quality and depth of workóand itís deceptive effect.
The quality and depth of work comes from working it, feedback, and time. Something Drew said that I swear by is that a good way to tell if an effect is ready is if you are tired of it.
Material that has a deceptive effect is really the difference between theatrics and secrets. A lot of people confuse the twoójust because an effect ďplaysĒ does not mean it is deceptive. Not every joke that gets laughs is funny. I like to know which one I am investing inóis this a secret worth keeping, or just something ďcool.Ē

Further, Iíve bought and read and worked +80% of the propless material that has made the rounds, and despite even the popular ones with pages and pages of reviews, I hate it. Itís cool ideas, but there is no quality and depth of work, and no deceptive effect. For instance, if I buy your effect and make obvious improvements while Iím watching/reading itóIím not a geniusóit means the quality and depth of work couldíve been more before publication. Just my opinion, Iím entitled to it, and I say all of this to preface my review.

So, having this performed on me, Drew tried to say Iím the 1st one to not hit exactlyóBUT I wish to disagree. The read and studied part of my brain could see the workings here and there, but altogether, I can honestly say Iím not entirely sure how it all works together to get to such a surefire hit. He nailed itóI felt violated, and the best part was after discussing some of it in different contextsóit made me excited. That is the key.

After having learned something, are you excited to work it?

I think thatís honestly the best outcome, and review point, from a traveling professional.

Regarding the price and format, complaints are inevitable. How someone wants to run their business or display their art is their free, God-given decision, and as a consumer, your opinion on that decision is best voiced withóor withoutóyour money. Enough with the business ethics course every time a creator wants to publish something. The same outcry of ďitís hurting the artĒ applies to the multi-thread drama for nearly every release. Iím glad this is expensive. Itís good. I GET to pay Drew for the time and energy he has put it into his ďwork.Ē I canít even afford it at the momentóand yet, Iím happy with that.

If youíre looking for the secret and you enjoy knowing more and having fun with itóget the pdf. If you like to perform and work materialóget the pdf and Facebook group access. If youíre a pro, or you prefer to really dive into good material, get the book.

I can confidently say this is a solid, workable, effect with a LOT of versatilityómuch yet to be discovered even.

If Iím comparing it to similar effectsóitís definitely worth the investment for me to test it and work it.
If Iím comparing it to other propless materialóitís obviously better than most of what Iíve read. Iíd consider it a ďno-brainer,Ē in that regard.

Great work, Drew.
[quote]On Jan 6, 2021, Tempesta wrote:
I was able to see this firsthand recently and thought this thread can use all the positivity it can get. I donít leave reviews oftenóusually because Iím hypercritical.

I judge material based on the quality and depth of workóand itís deceptive effect.
The quality and depth of work comes from working it, feedback, and time. Something Drew said that I swear by is that a good way to tell if an effect is ready is if you are tired of it.
Material that has a deceptive effect is really the difference between theatrics and secrets. A lot of people confuse the twoójust because an effect ďplaysĒ does not mean it is deceptive. Not every joke that gets laughs is funny. I like to know which one I am investing inóis this a secret worth keeping, or just something ďcool.Ē

Further, Iíve bought and read and worked +80% of the propless material that has made the rounds, and despite even the popular ones with pages and pages of reviews, I hate it. Itís cool ideas, but there is no quality and depth of work, and no deceptive effect. For instance, if I buy your effect and make obvious improvements while Iím watching/reading itóIím not a geniusóit means the quality and depth of work couldíve been more before publication. Just my opinion, Iím entitled to it, and I say all of this to preface my review.

So, having this performed on me, Drew tried to say Iím the 1st one to not hit exactlyóBUT I wish to disagree. The read and studied part of my brain could see the workings here and there, but altogether, I can honestly say Iím not entirely sure how it all works together to get to such a surefire hit. He nailed itóI felt violated, and the best part was after discussing some of it in different contextsóit made me excited. That is the key.

After having learned something, are you excited to work it?

I think thatís honestly the best outcome, and review point, from a traveling professional.

Regarding the price and format, complaints are inevitable. How someone wants to run their business or display their art is their free, God-given decision, and as a consumer, your opinion on that decision is best voiced withóor withoutóyour money. Enough with the business ethics course every time a creator wants to publish something. The same outcry of ďitís hurting the artĒ applies to the multi-thread drama for nearly every release. Iím glad this is expensive. Itís good. I GET to pay Drew for the time and energy he has put it into his ďwork.Ē I canít even afford it at the momentóand yet, Iím happy with that.

If youíre looking for the secret and you enjoy knowing more and having fun with itóget the pdf. If you like to perform and work materialóget the pdf and Facebook group access. If youíre a pro, or you prefer to really dive into good material, get the book.

I can confidently say this is a solid, workable, effect with a LOT of versatilityómuch yet to be discovered even.

If Iím comparing it to similar effectsóitís definitely worth the investment for me to test it and work it.
If Iím comparing it to other propless materialóitís obviously better than most of what Iíve read. Iíd consider it a ďno-brainer,Ē in that regard.

Great work, Drew. [/quote]

I've been performing Elementary quite a bit online and love it.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your thoughtful post... I wish the Cafť had more posts like this on a regular basis. Bravo!
[quote]On Jan 5, 2021, TimonK wrote:
Just called with Drew. This is the single best propless PIN divination I have seen. In fact, I believe it's probably the single best propless piece I have seen, period. The presentational freedom is astounding, as are Drew's numerous subtleties and his wonderful scripting.

Really, really great. [/quote]

That means a lot coming from you.

I can't wait to put my "Elementary" book next to the "Which Hand" book on my shelf.
I can only echo what has been said on this thread.
This is a great piece of propless mentalism that I will be using.

Can't wait to see all the nuances and touches that the full product includes.
Timon, Tempesta, Tim and Pixelated - It gives me goosebumps to hear that workers like all of you are excited about this! Thank you!

The release will likely be delayed (a little) due to a combination of factors in my personal life and the world at large... but the launch is drawing near!

Here's the trailer as promised. It's definitely from the "COVID-era" (there's no in-person performances shown haha) but we work with what we've got, right?! Keep in mind that this represents the "basic" version of ELEMENTARY - there are LOADS of ways you can adjust and present this ;)

[youtube]cQ6pYKKqsF0[/youtube]

Best wishes,

Drew
Looking forward to getting this!
I was fortunate to be able to purchase the complete package in advance. This provided me an early peek at the basic version in PDF form and the apparently controversial Facebook group. However, I was chatting with Drew about my first successful trials of Elementary and out of the blue he offered me an early peek at one of the bonus routines, Amalgamation. The fact that this was included as a mere bonus is perhaps a slight as to how devious this method actually is. Itís a propless method for forcing a random country, name, drawing or (seemingly any) piece of personal information. My personal favorite is the country, followed by the name. This method is brilliant and when I did the ďwife testĒ with the country version, she was shocked when I revealed her country, stating that there were so many choices! There is some process, but itís quick and woven in with the presentation beautifully.

As far as I know, this and other bonuses are only available in the hardback book that is part of the complete version.

Drew did not ask me to write this, and didnít share the bonus with any contingencies, such as requesting that I posted my thoughts. These are my unsolicited thoughts on this. Itís one of those things that can (and most likely will) be taken by others in many different directions. If only there was an online forum for these things to germinate. :)
Where can I buy this?
Drewís great about responding if you drop him a pm here on the Cafť.
Http://www.mindofandrews.com/
[quote]On Jan 16, 2021, 252life wrote:
Http://www.mindofandrews.com/ [/quote]

My products can be found on a hidden page within the site :) The direct link is www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
Psy - Thanks for your interest! I'm working as fast as I can to get this ready for a full launch. The time is drawing VERY near ;)

Adam - Thanks man for posting some thoughts on AMALGAMATION! Awesome to hear that your wife responded as she did haha. It's an extremely versatile combination of ideas. I, too, am excited to see in what directions other people push the concept!

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: The Simulator just went through a MASSIVE update. Truth be told, it's so much more than just a "simulator" now - it's a full-blown web app with multiple functionalities. Now that this update is crossed off the list, it shouldn't be too long before I can make ELEMENTARY widely available.

Best wishes,

Drew
If this is anything like AOTM it will be an instant hit!
This is now LIVE ;)

www.mindofandrews.com/elementary

Best wishes,

Drew
I just ordered the "Complete" package. The price was extremely reasonable especially considering what many charge for mentalism products nowadays. I look forward in receiving both the digital and hard copies of your book.

Michael
Ordered, so excited about this!!!
I jumped as soon as I saw the purchase email! I cannot wait to give this the time it deserves to perfect!

Jamie Daws
Ordered as well! Would have done it sooner if my email hadn't filtered the announcement email to spam. Looking forward to this.
Thank you one and all for your support!

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the orders that have come in today. Each order takes around 10 minutes to manually mark the file, upload it the DRM software (which has multiple steps of its own), email the link(s) and then create a new user for the web app... It's tedious to say the least haha!

I'll do my best to finish up the remaining ones tomorrow :)

I'm TRULY excited that this is now out there!

Best wishes,

Drew
Initial thoughts:
Anyone not familiar with Thaddius Barker's work will be utterly floored by this. Those that are will still be left scratching their heads and then once learned, amazed by the cunning ploys used here to both simplify the process for the performer while also increasing the feeling of impossibility for the participant. Back to reading now...
Just got the digital version, watched the video of the full routine, and read the details of the core routine.

I recognize that what I'm about to say might sound negative, but please hear me out. I love everything that Drew has put out, and think this will be super useful and will fry people... but I will admit that my *initial* reaction was slight disappointment. On watching the video it seemed blatantly obvious how this worked (and I'm *not* familiar with Thaddius Barker's work). It wasn't so obvious that I could turn around and do it -- and I knew that there were all sorts of nuances and details to understand -- all of which Drew provides (and much, much more). But the core routine and all of the layered methods seem like things most mentalists should already be familiar with. Indeed, reading the 1st chapter of the book showed that my assumptions from the video on how it's done were exactly correct.

Now, that's taking care of my immediate reaction upon seeing the video. What I will say is that *this is still amazing*. Indeed, it's more or less the same reason that Drew's first book remains at the top of my list of best mentalism books ever -- because it takes a variety of methods, and layers them cleverly, and makes them into something so much better. I think it would be wrong to consider the basic routine a magician/mentalist fooler, but it does show a way to make a lot of ideas that are often misused, and to make them much better. And I can't wait to get into the rest of the book, because I'm positive that the more advanced versions that Drew will discuss *will* include even more fooling ideas.

I also think that (even from the little I've read so far) is likely to inspire a bunch of different ideas. I immediately started thinking about ways to combine this with the two other recent propless methods that I thought have a lot of value: Trojan Horse & Voiceless, and I think by mixing and matching the ideas from all three concepts, something even more impressive can come out the other end. (Phiden's Phasma concept could be useful here as well)

So, I'm very happy with my purchase so far, and I've only just started digging in (and haven't signed up for the FB group yet). But I do want to acknowledge my *initial* reaction in case others have the same upon seeing the full performance. While it *will* absolutely astound many people, those with some experience in mentalism should be able to work out at least the key aspects of what's happening. But don't let that take away from the potential here, I'm sure, given Drew's usual thoroughness, he explores in the rest of the book.

Looking forward to reading the rest, checking out the FB group, and thinking of ways to do more with this.
No2ss - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I am eager to hear what you think as you continue through the PDF. Spoiler alert - some of my favorite applications are reserved for the physical book, so you have some fun surprises (I hope!) yet to come.

I never set out to fool other magicians/mentalists with this (although it definitely has). I can assure you though, this works beautifully for normal audiences ;)

Best wishes,

Drew
Drewís work on this propless pin divination is phenomenal.

Heís tested it and uses it in real world/virtual world shows.

It works in person/over the radio/phone/zoom/FT.

The work heís put into helping buyers learn the techniques, subtleties and script will impress you and is geared toward helping you build a strong foundation for this incredible effect.

Itís plausible and relatable and can help solidify your mentalism character.

Regardless of the package you get, Drew is delivering a strong piece of powerful mentalism and everything you need to learn it, feel 100% confident with, and use it.

For as much as Iíd suggest that Drew keep sales of this limited to only a few people, do yourself a favor and get it. The more performers that get this, the better.

Iím looking forward to the physical book, Drew!

Congratulations on this release. You must be very happy about it:)
Hi all,

I though I will chime in here and offer my humble opinion. For disclaimer I do not personally know Drew and I bought this book as the all in set because I like printed books, paid full price and even the 25 $us shipping which by the way is way too much, but not really Drews fault I guess ;-).

You will forgive me for skipping the hyperbole as this will go straight into my working repertoire and such and I will concentrate on my personal perception.

So what do you get for 100 $us:
- A link to the copyrighted download
- Some online learning tools
- a printed book
- A facebook group

The copyrighted download I guess is necessary in todays world of piracy but I am not a fan of it. It has to load, if you read some time it reloads and starts back at page 1... quiet frankly it a bother. The book itself is well written and has a very good structure that lets you learn it easily. It also has a setup that lets you practice the method. In both of these aspects it is a bit like Phedon Bileks Proteus, which by the way is also great. For those that are afraid that 227 page is a lot to read, be assured that you will only have to read half. The reason is that the book basically handles two variants that normally exclude themselves if that makes sense. ;-). Also the pages are not normal size but smaller.

The online tools are not really sexy in the interface and usage but very well thought out and rather practical. This is areal plus when learning and understanding the method. Now the method is far from rocket science but as with all things practice make perfect and it is a world of difference if you need 2 or 3 seconds more to proceed or not.

The book, well has not arrived yet. ;-)

I have joined the facebook group but have yet to contribute or find the time to read.

Now to the core: I bought this project blind because I have AOTM and expected something along these lines and was not disappointed. The method is not earth shattering and not originally from Drew. For me it is perfect example of our mentalism community. So many artists try so hard to come up with something new and the release it into the world fast and thereby have not really fully explored possibilities. I guess it in the nature modern mentalism. Drew has taken an interesting method and in a labor of love produced a comprehensive masterpiece. I am not referring to a multitude variants and options but rather a thoroughness of the mind when exploring the affect on the spectator. Usually when I read a mentalism book have thought popping into my mind, what happens if, could you not do that. Drew has predicted my thoughts and answered them in full. Either by his comments or by the contribution of others chipping in. I do not know him, but if I had to guess he was possessed and driven to get all he could out of this one method.

Bottom line: What you have here is very finely crafted effect that has been polished until it is a fine and mature product. It is just an very nice example that we do not need more methods but rather better crafted ones. The result is just so much more satisfying and a pure joy to perform. As I said before you can feel that Drew have invested an extraordinary amount of time and thinking it getting this done.

Concluding I know that there are a lot of people dependent on the income of their releases but I wish all artist would craft in this quality and I know some that do. But for me this the standard I would expect from a master craftsman.

So I have written a lot more than I intended but it is just my humble opinion for you to read or discard.

Regardless to all: Take care, stay safe and try to have some fun! So quoting Voltaire: "I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health"
Stefan

PS: Rick Maue had great things to say on creation in mindvention 2021 called open doors! I almost missed it but it was one of my highlights! Fits very much in with crafting magic ;-)
Stefan,

Thank you, sincerely, for taking the time to share your opinion of this project!

Describing me as ďpossessed and driven to get all [I] could out of this one methodĒ is the best cold reading Iíve ever received! You nailed it on the head! I recognized the latent potential of the idea this is based off of but wanted to explore EVERYTHING I could to push it further.

Best wishes,

Drew

P.S. I agree about the nutty costs of international shipping! I also wish it wasnít SO expensive. I will make this promise though, if I am able to find a more cost effective shipping option for a particular order I will refund the difference. And if shipping is more expensive than the flat $25 than Iíll eat the difference :) Iím genuinely trying to do right by everyone who supports my work!
[quote]On Jan 26, 2021, Argon wrote:
The copyrighted download I guess is necessary in todays world of piracy but I am not a fan of it. It has to load, if you read some time it reloads and starts back at page 1... quiet frankly it a bother. [/quote]

There fortunately appears to be a workaround (at least it works for me with Chrome on Windows 10). There appears to be a short time limit where you can download new pages and it only downloads ~10 pages at a time. When I hit page 11, I had to reload everything again like Argon mentioned, which was annoying. However, I then tried scrolling slowly through the entire book letting every page load (took about 3 minutes). I then read slowly all evening to page 53 last night and this evening the entire book is still up and I verified I could look at every page still. I am using Chrome on Windows 10, in case it matters. May be different for a phone browser. Hope it helps.
Clucknini - I appreciate you sharing your finding! If you're part of the FB group it would be great for you to share that information there.

I know the DRM software isn't as ideal as a normal PDF file... but it's the only way that I felt comfortable making the content available in digital format. Hopefully it's an adequate solution until the book is in your (and everyone else's) hands :)

Best wishes,

Drew
I've now had a couple of days to play around with this, and can confirm it truly is as great as the previous posters have stated. I am a big fan of the routine and method that this builds off of, but this really does both simplify it and make the processes involved not only seem appropriate, but also actually engaging and interesting. The actual "method" is incredibly simple and one pass of the instructions will give you all you need (once it 'clicks' it is incredibly logical), but the scripting is the real detail that will take a bit longer to nail down (but, again, incredibly simple and logical - especially when compared to other propless methods).

To be fair, it shouldn't be a surprise coming from Drew, but this is excellent and anyone interested in a propless pin divination doesn't need to look anywhere else.
Thanks Winnes! Sometimes the usernames on the Cafť throw me off :) If you wanted to message me directly I'd love to discover the man behind the "Winnes" haha.

I'm happy that you confirmed how logical the method underpinning ELEMENTARY really is. Like you said, once it clicks - IT CLICKS!

Lately, I've been posting like a mad-man on the FB group - sharing additional ideas, variants and giving some early peeks at the bonus content in the physical book. If anyone has ordered the "Complete" package and not yet checked out the group, what are you waiting for?! Come one in, the water is fine ;)

Best wishes,

Drew
Okay, seriously. I haven't spoken to Drew in years (work has kept me away from Magic/Mentalism), and I kept seeing this thread and wanting to contact him, but didn't.

I will tell the truth and say that I am pretty tired of PIN code things, and I have seen enough propless mentalism (and published some myself) to learn that it is exceptionally difficult to develop a routine that doesn't feel like 20 questions or is just too transparent for use in the real world. Drew has an excellent reputation, but I want to tell you that I was still a tad skeptical that this new one was going to pass the test. But I contacted him anyway because I couldn't resist. I was hoping I would see something that would surprise me.

Guys, I don't know how to say this any more seriously: This passes the ***ed test!

Accuse me of hype all you want. I stand behind every word I am writing.

I will say it this way. If you're like me, we all are privately hoping that we will see something that makes us smile again when we see something new, and we are rarely these days given this gift. Too often disappointed.

But yesterday, I got it. My faith in propless mentalism was revived when I saw Drew perform Elementary.

Honestly, and I don't mean this in any pejorative way, but Drew takes what Fraser Parker has been trying to accomplish for years with his foundational grunt work and pioneering on scripting (for which he and Peter Turner and others should be applauded)...and actually reaches the top of the mountain.

It's almost like this is what the propless PIN code routine has always tried to be, but never got there.

Like any propless routine, it has its compromises (because we can't really read minds and have to cheat somewhere), and you will see hints of how Drew has woven the work of pioneers before him into a far superior piece of propless cloth.

With that said, it hits about as much of the sweetspot of simplicity, apparent freedom/fairness, opaqueness (meaning, it is not obvious to the spectator), and reliability as a propless PIN code routine can get. I promise you, he has cracked the *** code. The only way to do this fairer is to have them write it down and p##k it.

The word "brilliant" almost has no meaning anymore on Cafť reviews, but there is an element he embeds in this effect that is so ***ed pretty, sneaky, and effective, that I slammed the table with my hand when I realized what I had been tricked into doing without knowing it (and never remembered until he told me later). It was joyful.

And then, the bonus stuff that comes with it! You will get thinking and opportunities you didn't have before that you will be most proud to treasure in your tool chest. Jeez...I cannot imagine someone not being happy with this product considering all the junk that is marketed these days in comparison to this.

Anyways, I guess you could say that I like this pretty ***ed a lot. :)
RedDevil - It was a joy catching up with you after so many years (itís nuts how fast the pages of the calendar can turn)! Iím humbled by your enthusiastic response to this project!

Best wishes,

Drew
I have read every post and page looks like I will need to get this.i will get on it in the morning. Just like Christmas.
You won't regret it. People have been using it and loving it.
Seriously something youíll never regret.
Done placed my order this morning wooohoo
Willie - Email(s) with links have been sent ;) Thanks for your support!

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

The physical books have finally started hitting my doorstep so I'll be working hard over the next week to post all orders of the "Complete" package!

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Feb 12, 2021, DrewBstoss wrote:
Willie - Email(s) with links have been sent ;) Thanks for your support!

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

The physical books have finally started hitting my doorstep so I'll be working hard over the next week to post all orders of the "Complete" package!

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]

Good to see that the physical books have started arriving!

I sent you an IM about my order. Please take a look at it when you get a chance. Thanks.
[quote]On Feb 12, 2021, DrewBstoss wrote:

Drew [/quote]
My copy of the physical book arrived today! :)
I'm SO relieved to announce that, as of yesterday, ALL books associated with existing orders have been posted! My international friends should be holding their copies any day now!

In case there are any ELEMENTARY "Complete" owners who frequent the Cafť but aren't part of the FaceBook group - keep an eye out for a supplement that contains the best ideas and variations that have been shared thus far in the group. I want to make sure that everyone can reap the benefits of the "Complete" package regardless of their social media use ;)

The supplement will also contain a variation that many on the FB group are quite excited about called "ELEMENTARY ENHANCED."

[b]GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT:[/b] Now that order fulfillment is under control, I can once again open up my schedule to demo the basic routine for anyone who is still on the fence. It's easiest to coordinate schedules via FaceBook Messenger but you can also send me a PM here. Serious inquiries only please.

Best wishes,

Drew
I'll note here that I gave a lukewarmish review earlier in this thread, noting some level of disappointment in the core version of Elementary, but after having spent time on the FB group, and Drew's near obsessive desire to make sure I was happy with the result, I have to say that Elementary Enhanced (plus some other suggestions recently made in the FB group) not only solves the initial concerns I had with the basic Elementary version, but make it a truly phenomenal fooler. The basic version of Elementary is still fine -- and lots of people are having success with it. It will probably work for most people, but I wanted to be able to take it further, and Drew (and some others) figured out how to make that possible.
Never have truer words been used to describe me than ďnear obsessiveĒ ;) Just ask my wife haha.

Iím SO happy to hear that ELEMENTARY ENHANCED has won you over no2ss (with the help of others who have contributed some wonderful touches on the group of course!) - mission accomplished!
How have I not seen this until know? Placed my order - I am very excited to seeing this!
Daniel
Wow, great reviews! Super excited to dive in, just ordered the complete package. Nothing beats a good hardcover book.
Really happy to read that it will be working in german.
I have been reading in the online document for the last couple of days, awaiting the hardcover, and playing with the routining. The amount of detail is fantastic and the exercises to get practise down are worth their weight in gold, as such stuff is hard to practise with the family over and over again :-) Fantastic product, fantastic effect!
Thank you for the kudos m.o.pfeil!

The most recent batch of orders were posted today (yours being one of them) and have started their journey around the world ;)

If you liked the practice sessions in the book, you'll LOVE the Elementary Web App! That will get you up to speed with all the variations in no time.

Best wishes,

Drew
This is A+ material youíll use forever. I love it more every day, itís the gift that keeps on giving and I never forget it at home. The bar a few times...but never at home :)
I wonder why no ones mentions here that this is not really a Pin divination but rather a d*** divination. The choice is clearly limited. But I donít doubt it will impress many people but not the ones with a rational, task- and logic-focused, and pragmatic mind.
Hi Mark,

Question: Do you own the book? I ask because I'd love to connect directly with you to chat through some of the finer points of presentation. Please shoot me a PM here or on FaceBook including the name associated with your order.

Comment: I understand and appreciate your nuanced viewpoint. I wonder though, how would you define a "PIN?"

To me, it's a 4 digit number used to safeguard financial information. The basic manner by which the substitute PIN is generated in ELEMENTARY is extremely consistent with how many people around the world choose their actual PIN. The method and presentation are beautifully aligned to create a convincing illusion of mind reading.

Regarding your concern about it not impressing people "with a rational, task- and logic-focused, and pragmatic mind," I can assure you that I've performed the piece for many very bright people over the years and it's never failed to elicit a strong response.

Yes, upon critical examination of the process someone might realize that the PIN is "limited" - but the perceived pool of options is nearly 7 times more expansive than someone thinking of a playing card (and we all know how impressive a simple card revelation can be). Done properly, ELEMENTARY leaves the impression that the PIN you reveal is one of 10,000 possibilities ;)

Really though, I'd welcome the chance to communicate more directly with you to help ease any concerns that you might have!

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Jun 28, 2021, Mark Timon wrote:
I wonder why no ones mentions here that this is not really a Pin divination but rather a d*** divination. The choice is clearly limited. But I donít doubt it will impress many people but not the ones with a rational, task- and logic-focused, and pragmatic mind. [/quote]

Maybe I misunderstood your sentiment, but that came across as one of the most ignorant and arrogant statements Iíve seen yet on the Cafť. And thatís saying a lot.
[quote]On Jun 28, 2021, Mark Timon wrote:
I wonder why no ones mentions here that this is not really a Pin divination but rather a d*** divination. The choice is clearly limited. But I donít doubt it will impress many people but not the ones with a rational, task- and logic-focused, and pragmatic mind. [/quote]

Drew has already responded to this, but even beyond that, if you're in the FB group, people have already come up with some clever methods to get beyond that particular limitation, and there are a few other tricks to make it more fooling. I'll admit (you can see my review earlier in the thread) that I was initially a little disappointed and feared that it would be too easy to backtrack, but Drew and others have come up with a bunch of newer variations that take it way beyond the original effect and solve many of what I felt were shortcomings.
This better be good Drew! Just ordered :)
Thank you for your support kissdadookie!

Email sent with links to the "Elementary 101" file so you can dive right in ;)

Best wishes,

Drew
[quote]On Jun 30, 2021, DrewBstoss wrote:
Thank you for your support kissdadookie!

Email sent with links to the "Elementary 101" file so you can dive right in ;)

Best wishes,

Drew [/quote]

Thank you kindly :)