(Close Window)
Topic: PUNCH'D (Mark Cards in a fool-proof way in front of their eyes!) by David Michael Fox & Other Bro
Designed for the modern magician.
Mark Cards with a BORROWED, shuffled deck...and end up an UNDETECTABLE cheating deck.

NO Crimps
On the fly.
NO preparation.

Includes over 1 HOUR of instruction from the Other Brothers and David Michael Fox.
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=68407
Sounds interesting. Does it require refills?
If this is creating "punched cards" on the fly then I'm in.
I've been using punches for the last 30+ years and in a way it's a shame it will become mainstream. But, if the device is good then fair play.
Alan Rorrison's Sentio is a good device for this type of work on the fly. Interested to see how it compares.
Unfortunately, I can’t remember the last thing the other bros released that wasn’t drivel
Drivel "Silly Nonsense" thanks Siri.
[quote]On Dec 28, 2020, Magic KL wrote:
Sounds interesting. Does it require refills? [/quote]

No, it does not require any form of refills :)

Tyler
[quote]On Dec 28, 2020, IanB wrote:
If this is creating "punched cards" on the fly then I'm in.
I've been using punches for the last 30+ years and in a way it's a shame it will become mainstream. But, if the device is good then fair play.
Alan Rorrison's Sentio is a good device for this type of work on the fly. Interested to see how it compares. [/quote]

Hi Ian,

Happy new year to you and your family and hope to see you at Steels along with Mr. Cook before too long!! :)

I'm not familiar with Sentio but David showed me this last month and it is beautiful. I think you will be very impressed with the thought gone into it and how covertly practical it is.

He suggested that two gimmicks may be included, one black, one flesh colored but I'm not sure whether this is the case...My order is in regardless! :)

Paul McCaig.
This thread makes me think of [url=https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18609]Mark Calabrese's DVS[/url]. His approach is tactile as well and involves a blindfold routine.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2020, Kaliix wrote:
This thread makes me think of [url=https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18609]Mark Calabrese's DVS[/url]. His approach is tactile as well and involves a blindfold routine. [/quote]

But unfortunately it is very messy and can destroy decks easily.
This thread makes me think of [url=https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S18609]Mark Calabrese's DVS[/url]. His approach is tactile as well and involves a blindfold routine. [/quote]

That was my thought too (Mark rebranded DVS as "the Seer" as well, which has some updated ideas and... stuff) which basically shows some very similar effects to what's in this trailer, though I think the method here is different.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2020, ArtIn wrote:

But unfortunately it is very messy and can destroy decks easily. [/quote]

if you are destroying the deck or causing a mess, you're doing it wrong.

Mark Calabrese
But are there any reviews?

Gianni
[quote]On Dec 30, 2020, Gianni wrote:
But are there any reviews?

Gianni [/quote]

Punch'd is not released until the 4th January.

BTW David has confirmed that there are two gimmicks in the set, one black, the other flesh coloured.

Looking forward to 2021 now! :)

Paul McCaig.
Sentio is great and all you really need. But in reality, when are you ever going to be given a borrowed deck? In 35 yrs, it’s happened to me maybe 2 times. Uses are much more limited if you use your own deck.
It more than likely would occur at a friend or family’s home is my thought
I would just prep the deck & perform a few regular card tricks then go into the finding of the suites . Seperating the reds from the black cards while blindfolded dealing
the cards face down then reveal the seperate piles face up will work for me !

Thanks for posting that, Kaliix. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the name of Mark's effect.
[quote]On Dec 30, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:

Thanks for posting that, Kaliix. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the name of Mark's effect. [/quote]

And then whenever I think of DVS it reminds me of Bob Solari's trick Vibe. Another one I had forgotten about.
I remember buying it years ago and later selling it and honestly can't remember a thing as to the method. :)
[quote]On Dec 30, 2020, videoman wrote:
[quote]On Dec 30, 2020, rosariorose9 wrote:

Thanks for posting that, Kaliix. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the name of Mark's effect. [/quote]

And then whenever I think of DVS it reminds me of Bob Solari's trick Vibe. Another one I had forgotten about.
I remember buying it years ago and later selling it and honestly can't remember a thing as to the method. :) [/quote]

Yeah, Vibe allows you to do some similar effects, and it's neat, but it's not as impromptu as DVS or as adaptable. It requires preparation beforehand, not on the fly.
Luke Dancy gave a partial review on this on his Murphy's Magic broadcast. He gave good marks, for example in the trailer you see the magician pushing up cards as he goes thru the deck and at the same time is "marking" them. That to me is pretty slick. Just may have to jump on this and the price is right!
You punch a borrowed deck and leave it with the owner and it is “undetectable”? A
igood tool but do not leave it in some on else's deck. Maybe not easily detectable,But it is detectable .
Hopefully
not during the next poker game with his friends. Any one want to cut for high card?
Hey bill how come the deck keeps cutting to the aces.(Shown in the video.) What is this I feel?
Not e every time but often.
It is more like a key card than a crimp.Would you permanently leave a long , thick or stripped card in your hosts deck? Let alone 4 .
I just ordered PUNCH’D. Taking a chance in 2021. Hopefully it is good and useful.
Unless Fox and the Other Brothers are using "artistic licence" in the ad copy. The "marks" are temporary.

[quote]Get all the benefits of a gaffed deck but with a fully examinable, completely borrowed deck of cards which can be handed right back to the spectator without them ever discovering your mark. Because it disappeared. Like magic.[/quote]
Apart from the 'Borrowing ' aspect, don't really get the point of this.. is that the only advantage?
If so just use marked cards.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2020, fcchief1 wrote:
Luke Dancy gave a partial review on this on his Murphy's Magic broadcast. He gave good marks, for example in the trailer you see the magician pushing up cards as he goes thru the deck and at the same time is "marking" them. That to me is pretty slick. Just may have to jump on this and the price is right! [/quote]

Does Luke ever not give good reviews?
[quote]On Jan 2, 2021, geggy wrote:
Apart from the 'Borrowing ' aspect, don't really get the point of this.. is that the only advantage?
If so just use marked cards. [/quote]

I agree, this may be a good tool to quickly mark your own cards or for when you are hanging out with other magicians, but other than that, who is regularly borrowing decks of cards?

So you carry this tool with you, ready to go, every single day of your life waiting for that rare opportunity to arise when you can actually use a borrowed, shuffled deck?
I’m sure I’d forget to use it and then be kicking myself later anyway. 😃
I wonder how similar it is to this?

https://www.mymagic.com/p/gaming-cheating/card-peggers
[quote]On Jan 3, 2021, videoman wrote:
[quote]On Jan 2, 2021, geggy wrote:
If so just use marked cards. [/quote]

I agree, this may be a good tool to quickly mark your own cards or for when you are hanging out with other magicians, but other than that, who is regularly borrowing decks of cards?

So you carry this tool with you, ready to go, every single day of your life waiting for that rare opportunity to arise when you can actually use a borrowed, shuffled deck?
I’m sure I’d forget to use it and then be kicking myself later anyway. 😃 [/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking!
Great video thanks for posting !
[quote]On Jan 4, 2021, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I wonder how similar it is to this?

https://www.mymagic.com/p/gaming-cheating/card-peggers [/quote]

This doesn't appeal to me, but that's what I assumed would be in play.
From what I've heard its not like those peggers linked by Rowdy, but more like other devices of this nature (but smaller).
“Hi, yes you, lol. Have you got a deck of cards on you that I can borrow?”

“No”

“Ah, ok. Sorry to bother you”
Ok. I bought it and it came in today. It is an old concept made new. It is a small utility item to mark cards, billets, cash, envelopes or any paper product. The marks are semi permanent but can be minimized. It is portable and light weight and well made. The hour long instruction is more like a Jam. Showing how it works and tossing out ideas how to use it in different scenarios. For what it is, it is excellent. Great price. Totally going to be using this.
I just don't know how you would use this in a real routine.... the promo video shows someone finding cards which have already been marked, but what does a routine look like that actually does borrow a deck and/or mark cards on the fly as part of the routine?
Why not seperate the red cards from the black cards while blindfolded that works for me ! the spectator can shuffle the deck before the demonstration .
[quote]On Jan 9, 2021, tophatter wrote:
Why not seperate the red cards from the black cards while blindfolded that works for me ! the spectator can shuffle the deck before the demonstration . [/quote]

But how do you mark them in real time as part of the routine?
[quote]On Jan 9, 2021, danHumphrey wrote:
[quote]On Jan 9, 2021, tophatter wrote:
Why not seperate the red cards from the black cards while blindfolded that works for me ! the spectator can shuffle the deck before the demonstration . [/quote]

But how do you mark them in real time as part of the routine? [/quote]

You use the PUNCH’D device palmed and it is not to hard to use in real time. It shows in the instruction video how to mark them while going through the deck out jogging selected cards before you hand the cards back to them to shuffle. Takes practice to do it smooth and hidden but it is achievable.

You use the PUNCH’D device palmed and it is not to hard to use in real time. It shows in the instruction video how to mark them while going through the deck out jogging selected cards before you hand the cards back to them to shuffle. Takes practice to do it smooth and hidden but it is achievable. [/quote]

Still don't get the point..you mark them in real time...
Why bother, just use marked cards...OR...am I way off the mark!!????
Just don't get the point of this.
[quote]On Jan 9, 2021, geggy wrote:

Just don't get the point of this. [/quote]

I think there are a bunch of things you can do with this that go beyond marked cards -- including the effects with the blindfold, cutting to specific cards after a shuffle, and then all of the non-card effects they briefly flash through in the trailer. In the same way that DVS/Seer or Vibe allow for certain effects that you can't do with marked cards, so does this.
[quote]On Jan 9, 2021, geggy wrote:

You use the PUNCH’D device palmed and it is not to hard to use in real time. It shows in the instruction video how to mark them while going through the deck out jogging selected cards before you hand the cards back to them to shuffle. Takes practice to do it smooth and hidden but it is achievable. [/quote]

Just don't get the point of this. [/quote]
Marking in real time takes the heat off you. You mark them and give them back for spectator to shuffle. But also you can mark almost any paper product as well, it doesn’t have to be cards. I am working on ideas to mark bills.
The only reason it states " You can mark the cards while going through the deck" IS JUST A SELLING PLOY ! who would want to do that really ! Punch the cards
in the deck you want to locate for your routine ahead of time 4 Aces, Seperate reds from black cards etc.. & your set to go ! in fact perform a few card tricks & then go into
finding your punch cards for your favorite routine.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2021, tophatter wrote:
The only reason it states " You can mark the cards while going through the deck" IS JUST A SELLING PLOY ! who would want to do that really ! Punch the cards
in the deck you want to locate for your routine ahead of time 4 Aces, Seperate reds from black cards etc.. & your set to go ! in fact perform a few card tricks & then go into
finding your punch cards for your favorite routine. [/quote]

I can see lots of cases where you'd want to do it on the fly. I'm confused why so many of you are confused by this. Just as an example, you can have them name 4 different cards, "check" the deck to make sure they're all in there, hand the deck to the spectator and have them shuffle, and then find the very cards they named. That's just a very, very simple version, and I can see lots of other ways you could use this on the fly.
[quote]On Jan 11, 2021, no2ss wrote:
[quote]On Jan 10, 2021, tophatter wrote:
finding your punch cards for your favorite routine. [/quote]

I can see lots of cases where you'd want to do it on the fly. I'm confused why so many of you are confused by this. Just as an example, you can have them name 4 different cards, "check" the deck to make sure they're all in there, hand the deck to the spectator and have them shuffle, and then find the very cards they named. That's just a very, very simple version, and I can see lots of other ways you could use this on the fly. [/quote]

That is true, but why not just give them a little corner crimp? Then the evidence is simple to remove as well. Or just cull them and produce them.
The 50 minute tutorial tries to give a good reason to use the gimmick, but in my opinion none really feel worth the hassle or better than another method already out there.
This is the worse waste of money I have spent in a really long time. Just got this today. I do collect these type of things but imo, it's a joke. I'm an expert on the punch deal but if I want to punch on the fly, I'll still use my th*&^n***. This goes for any other use for the punch.

Best

Steve
Definitely overpriced for what it is.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2021, Steven Conner wrote:
This is the worse waste of money I have spent in a really long time. Just got this today. I do collect these type of things but imo, it's a joke. I'm an expert on the punch deal but if I want to punch on the fly, I'll still use my th*&^n***. This goes for any other use for the punch.

Best

Steve [/quote]

But, for a punch newbie what is your advice ?
[quote]On Jan 13, 2021, pikat wrote:
[quote]On Jan 12, 2021, Steven Conner wrote:

Best

Steve [/quote]

But, for a punch newbie what is your advice ? [/quote]

Buy a book to learn other techniques for finding a card or marking a card.
Now we don't know Pikat's skill level, he might be an experienced card handler, but doesn't have much experience with punching. Sadly there isn't THAT much readily available resources on it.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2021, dyoung wrote:
Now we don't know Pikat's skill level, he might be an experienced card handler, but doesn't have much experience with punching. Sadly there isn't THAT much readily available resources on it. [/quote]

Yes, you right, thanks for your comment.

I have some experience on card magic... marked deck / control,..

But totally new to punching, so I try to expand my magic skill.
Very useful tool and something you can get into in performance if need be, I am not getting the hate.
[youtube]6uBxwQvfzbk[/youtube]
Another interesting idea that's in tha back draw.