(Close Window)
Topic: Skymember presents MONARCH BY AVI YAP. "Thinking and execution is off the charts." -Chris Kenner
"Avi is by far my favorite magician of this era. Just when I thought I have seen his best stuff... He shows me this. The thinking and execution is off the charts."
- Chris Kenner

"That's beautiful!"
- Wayne Houchin

Monarch is Avi's handling of the classic "Chink-a-Chink" effect. A DECADE IN THE MAKING...and being one of Avi's oldest creations, Avi has spent a substantial amount of time to refine every aspect of the routine and the COINS ARE MADE UNDER THE STRICTEST REQUIREMENTS for Avi's EVERYDAY use.

What you will learn in this project is not just an effect or a trick, but an accumulation of experiences that Avi has worked and gathered over the years. Whenever Avi performs, this is usually HIS GO-TO routine, and after learning it, you will understand why!

It's straightforward and highly visual! You could even perform it COMPLETELY SURROUNDED.
What's more, is that this routine is SURPRISINGLY EASY TO LEARN AND DO!

3 VERSIONS AVAILABLE:

Monarch (Quarter) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67658

Monarch (Morgan) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67660

Monarch (Half) by Avi Yap
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=67659
Why do quarters require a gimmick and the morgans do not.

Best

Steve
This looks really good. Will pre order.
[quote]On Jan 4, 2021, Steven Conner wrote:
Why do quarters require a gimmick and the morgans do not.

Best

Steve [/quote]

The Morganís come with gimmicks as well, he mentions it in the video package. You also get replicas in addition to the gimmicks.
Already on the wishlist. I know Avi from a magic group and have seen a lot of his magic in our Zoom sessions. I can't say enough about his coin work as well as his card work. But he showed us this back in June and we were all (including Chris K, Luke D, and a few other well known names) just speechless, jaws on the floor look. Anything by him is worth it, whether this or some of his card work that was released or other coin stuff he put out. Watch the video, nuff said!
Looks great but am wondering if the gaff is anything new that I don't already own. Hopefully I can perform this with the Walker gaffs I already have.

That aside, for a set of Morgan replicas (which honestly do look great btw), $70 sounds like a steal. Look forward to picking this up.
Is there a gimmick? Says you have to supply your own coins if you want quarter or half. Morgans are ungimmicked. So doesnít sound like there is a gimmick.
Chink-a-Chink.

Boy is that an unfortunate name for a classic effect.
[quote]On Jan 4, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Is there a gimmick? Says you have to supply your own coins if you want quarter or half. Morgans are ungimmicked. So doesnít sound like there is a gimmick. [/quote]
They come with gimmick also, from the ad prior to them giving tip on which set would suit you best "Included in this project is not just the routine, but everything you need necessary to perform the routine. Teaming up with the high end coin making company, Alchemist, the gimmick and the coins(Morgan replica) you will receive are amongst the best quality in the world!"
WOW, this sure looks good! I'm wondering how difficult this is to perform?
Canít perform this on web shows...so never then?
Will this be suitable for very dry hands???
I don't own the product yet but I have quite a bit of experience with different chink a chink/shadow coin routines.

For the regular routine, you would have some difficulty doing the moves with very dry hands. I'm sure it's the same case here.

But if that's the case just get some good lotion/balm. I use sortkwik which is cheap and perfect for sleight of hand with coins/cards. But there are plenty of other options out there.

In regards to difficulty in general, the moves are actually quite easy to learn but the part that will take some practice is the choreography of everything. Will take time to make it look as good as the performance in the trailer.
I wonder how similar this will be in method to Hysteria by Chad Long. This looks better, but the mention of the gimmick makes me think it will be quite similar
Everything looks like the standard effect until the last coin in the second phase. So I'm assuming that's what the gimmick is for.
Hey Steve,
All 3 versions require gimmicks, the Morgan comes with 4 extra coins.
Hope that helps.
Looks great! But we'll have to find out more details. I'm wondering about how it says "Difficulty: Advanced" on Murphy's website and then "What's more, is that this routine is surprisingly easy to learn and do!" Also, I'm wondering about the cleanup at the end. He seemed a little rushed to get the coins off the table (at least when performing for Wayne Houchin!). Anyway, I'm looking forward to this release and subsequent releases in the "Art of Coins" series.

For reference, here are a couple other great chink-a-chink routines, which are by Takahiro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkt6snK_0LY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SwvLJ87V2w

Oscar
Looks really good!
[quote]On Jan 5, 2021, ocb wrote:
Looks great! But we'll have to find out more details. I'm wondering about how it says "Difficulty: Advanced" on Murphy's website and then "What's more, is that this routine is surprisingly easy to learn and do!"
[/quote]

Idk why Murphy's would label it advanced. But this is definitely not "advanced" sleight of hand or difficulty. Seems there are just some different touches and whatnot to the original chink a chink routine, and like I said it's not a difficult routine to learn. The main bit that is going to require practice is just the choreography.
Whatís up with the disclaimer?
The sleights demonstrated and coin ring are not included with the purchase.
Wait, what?
[quote]On Jan 8, 2021, Le Petomane wrote:
Whatís up with the disclaimer?
The sleights demonstrated and coin ring are not included with the purchase.
Wait, what? [/quote]

In the trailer, a card trick and plain coin are demonstrated, and a ring that appears to be made from a coin is also shown.
Does anyone have an opinion about which coin set might play better. It would appear the quarters might be easier but the dollars do look nice.

Best

Steve
For almost every Matrix 1/2 dollars are the sweet spot for handling and appearance
Based on early comments Iíve heard, sounds like there will be some disappointment with this one.
Message: Posted by: UnbiasedMagicReviews (Jan 12, 2021 01:43AM)
The 'move' with the common coin gaff we all have which is used twice in the routine on the trailer just doesn't convince me to part with $50.
I hear it is a re-hash of old moves and that the special move doesnít always work. Sounds like it should have been released as a $10-15 download. As you said, the gaff is one we all already have and the included ones are apparently fairly cheap considering they arenít made with real coins.
I have just received the Morgan Dollar version and must say I am very impressed, the quality of the coins are superb in my opinion, very pleased with my purchase
Good to know. Mine should be here today so I will report back after receiving it.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
I hear it is a re-hash of old moves and that the special move doesnít always work. Sounds like it should have been released as a $10-15 download. As you said, the gaff is one we all already have and the included ones are apparently fairly cheap considering they arenít made with real coins. [/quote]

Who did you hear this from? Shipping for this product started 1 day prior your comment.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2021, loudini1972 wrote:
Good to know. Mine should be here today so I will report back after receiving it. [/quote]

Do you have a first quick review for us?
Here are my initial thoughts. I ordered the Morgan set. I honestly didn't know what the gimmick was because the ad copy was less than clear. In hindsight, even though I have huge hands, ordering the Morgans was a mistake on a few levels, the main one being that since this is a shadow coins effect, smaller coins make the handling much easier with less potential to flash. Even Avi who is clearly gifted uses half dollar size. So I was an idiot for ordering the Morgans. The coins themselves are fake Morgans as the ad clearly states and they are pretty decent. I have multiple sets of real Morgans and these are the best fakes I've seen. Appearance, weight and sound are all pretty good. For comparison sake, I also have the fake Morgan Split Focus by Greg Wilson and the fakes that come with Monarch are night and day better in appearance. So if you want a believable set of Morgans without paying the big price tag, you will likely be happy with these. Not sure how they made them but the weight and ring are pretty true.

As for the gimmick, this will likely be the biggest area of debate. Many people, myself included, will feel that the ad should have been more transparent about what you are getting. In reality, the gimmick is the most basic coin gimmick that all of us most likely already have. (rhymes with "smell") I already have at least 10 of them including several high quality Morgans. The gimmicks that come with these sets are not made out of real coins. So while the gimmick does look and feel fine, it's not as solid as if it were made out of a real coin. More importantly, the reason this effect is priced so high is simply because they are including a fake coin version of something we all already have. (more on that later).

As for the tutorial, it's well shot and mic'd but the teaching is what I would call bare bones. If you already know shadow coins, you will be able to pick everything up. If you are not familiar with shadow coins, you will be left wanting more. There are definitely MUCH better places to learn the basic shadow coins effect if you are new to the plot. As for the routine itself, there is nothing really new in terms of moves or method. The move that makes this routine slightly different is actually an old Danny Garcia move...and that leads to my next problem. The move is certainly nice (and in Avi's hands looks like a miracle), but the move will not work for everyone. Without saying too much, people with cold/dry hands need not apply. And the bigger the coin you use, the harder the move is to do/cover (another reason why I'm mad I ordered Morgans). I've been trying the move for a while and have never been able to get it to work, certainly not well enough to perform. I'll have to go dig out my jar of Octopalm and see if that helps. If not, this will be completely unusable for me...and I'm assuming a lot of people. He also teaches a quick matrix which can be seen in the trailer. Very pretty but harder than the main routine. You need an extra coin, which is ok if you bought the quarter or half versions but not if you bought the Morgan version because you'll need either another fake morgan which doesn't come with the set (or you can use a real one if you have one)

So for my $70, I got 4 decent fake Morgans (that I didn't need because I already have multiple sets of real Morgans), a decent gimmick (that I didn't need because I already have a ton of real ones), and a routine that is pretty basic with the exception of the main move which I can't do. Coupled with the fact that shadow coins isn't really that practical to begin with since I only ever do strolling/walk-around and never perform seated and I've likely got a routine that will go right into my massive junk drawer of regrettable impulse buys.

As it is, my ultimate conclusion is that this should have been released as a $10-15 download at most. However, if you don't already own the gimmick and you really like the demo, this may be up your alley. Off to go have a scotch and cigar and lament another impulse buy.
Somebodyís got to take the impulse buy for the team. Thank you.
Iím retiring from impulse buys. Another $70 that should have gone to the kidsí college fund ;)
[quote]On Jan 13, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Iím retiring from impulse buys. Another $70 that should have gone to the kidsí college fund ;) [/quote]

Until you get a little bored later this week? ;)

I will note, personally, that your ongoing fits of boredom-based impulse purchases (and later reviews) have been quite helpful in saving money for *my* kids' college fund.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Iím retiring from impulse buys. Another $70 that should have gone to the kidsí college fund ;) [/quote]
Eric...Enjoy your scotch.
;)
Thank you for your review Eric!
Love you guys! Thanks for the morning laughs. Always happy to help and yes, I buy way too much stuff (i know my UPS and Fed Ex guys by name). Hereís to hoping 2021 will be a better magic yr. Last yearís releases had more duds than studs.
From all the comments, "Explanations" by Takahiro may be better.

Best

Steve
I'm with Eric on this and echo what he has said. With that, the coins are really well made so $70 for soft morgan replicas and a turtle isn't that bad.
Yes, I agree. If you have always wanted to do say a shelled coins across routine with Morgans but donít want to spend $350 on a real set, that would be a reason to buy this set at $70. By far the best fake Morganís youíre likely to find.
A couple of questions:
I am very curious how the Quarter Gimmicks are. I am more interested in the idea of borrowing coins for this. Does it have to be performed on a pad or can it be performed on a table top?
[quote]On Jan 14, 2021, JOurneyjoe wrote:
A couple of questions:
I am very curious how the Quarter Gimmicks are. I am more interested in the idea of borrowing coins for this. Does it have to be performed on a pad or can it be performed on a table top? [/quote]

soft surface I would guess based on other versions.
Absolutely a soft surface....unless you perform regularly for deaf people.
I am sorry to disagree with some of you. The Morgan Dollars that I received are by far some of the poorest replicas that I have ever seen. The special coin is practically useless for the following reasons
1.The gaff is domed, because of the special move the gaff needs as much surface are as possible, The curved surface causes the gaff not to adhere as well as it should.
2.Owing to the Dom the manufacturer put a flat shim in the gaff, not a steel shim which might have some utility, but another metal. This adds to weight of the gaff and that combined to the domed surface makes the utility move very if-ee.

I contacted the place I bought it from and they told me to return it, which I have.

This is the second product from skymember that I have been disappointed with, but the first were the gaff has been defecteive.
[quote]On Jan 14, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Yes, I agree. If you have always wanted to do say a shelled coins across routine with Morgans but donít want to spend $350 on a real set, that would be a reason to buy this set at $70. By far the best fake Morganís youíre likely to find. [/quote]
For $60 you can get a coin set from BluetherMagic which are the best replicas you will find.
[youtube]BKlBrpCP7c0[/youtube]
In my opinion itís very unfair to ask that price for a method that does not rely on the ability of the magician or the amount of hours of practice. It depends on a physiological condition that some people have and some people does not. Even if you have it, you may lose it with age, stress or weather conditions.
All you are paying is an overpriced gimmick that you already have if you have started in coin magic. And itís just that gimmick, not a special variation of it or something revolutionary. This should be a 9USD download as many other downloads that make use of that gimmick.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2021, Habenari wrote:
In my opinion itís very unfair to ask that price for a method that does not rely on the ability of the magician or the amount of hours of practice. It depends on a physiological condition that some people have and some people does not. Even if you have it, you may lose it with age, stress or weather conditions.
All you are paying is an overpriced gimmick that you already have if you have started in coin magic. And itís just that gimmick, not a special variation of it or something revolutionary. This should be a 9USD download as many other downloads that make use of that gimmick. [/quote]

I fully agree. A waste of money, oh well wasnt the first time and wont be the last time either. For sure Avi Yap is not going to get any further support from me, being burned once is enough. The half dollar S**** is ok, the Morgan coins and S**** don't even look alike any real Morgans, I will use them as

practice set for delicate sleights so I wont risk damage with my real sets.
Well guys I have been reading all this ...one of less skilled members of my session just bought this...and I was about to offer him a suggestion...again I don t have this yet...may I suggest the secret use of a touch of dexter s putty on a finger to help assist this terrifying ailment of a hands condition that at age 69 I suffer with too....now last night I told my guys that home depot lowes sells a plastic strip lined with this putty...and I think that the putty might be sold separately. Its called. Tub and wall peel and stick caulk. And on package in corber it even says "magic"...
I know I know a bit of a trade off but it might save the day if you are chasing a tough visual dissapearance...
Give it a consideration
Marty
If anyone wants this, it's 40% off at MJM.

[url=https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/skymember-presents-monarch-quarter-by-avi-yap-trick-p-32521.html/?referrer=CNWR_167291448488650]https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/skymember-presents-monarch-quarter-by-avi-yap-trick-p-32521.html[/url]
I've created a Facebook Group so we can discuss methods: https://www.facebook.com/groups/505934003745221/
[quote]On Mar 17, 2021, Magic KL wrote:
If anyone wants this, it's 40% off at MJM.

[url=https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/skymember-presents-monarch-quarter-by-avi-yap-trick-p-32521.html/?referrer=CNWR_167291448488650]https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/skymember-presents-monarch-quarter-by-avi-yap-trick-p-32521.html[/url] [/quote]

MJM is offering this at 40% off again!