(Close Window)
Topic: Wanted: method to produce small child
I have booked 25 library shows this summer and my 5 year old daughter is assisting me again this year. Our theme for this summer is EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF THE LIBRARY and is based on the Lewis and Clark story. My daughter is dressed as Sacagewea. Last year I used nested cardboard boxes to make her appear. I am now trying to come up with a different homemade appearance for my little helper. It has to pack small and play well for a relatively close audience. Is it possible? Ideas?
If you have control over lighting, go for Andrew Mayne's Spectre cabinet. Or how about a Tip Over Box. Here you will need control on angles.
Cheers
Mark Wilsons' "Doll house" made of cardboard would be worth your look. It's on his video!

Jack Murray
A small round trampoline, some black stretchable nylon material and some practice will do the trick.

PM me for the rest?
"Wanted: method to produce small child"

Well, when a man woman love each other very much...
I don't know if this would work, but thinking of the traveling theme, perhaps she could be produced from a suitcase that you carry in when you start the show. If you have enough control over the lighting, you could line the case with black felt. She is hidden behind the felt when you show it "empty." Then close the suitcase, open it back up and have her pop out.

A few small air holes drilled in the side would be unnoticeable from a short distance away.
Check out the production of a small boy that is in Jim Sommers' illusion book. This could easily be modified.
Look at Tony Hassini Illusion video ($10) and he has two simple methods (Card board boxes aka Mark Wilson Method, and another with a chair.)
Hi there,
Picking up the library theme, why donīt you use a small version of the book of life?
Fantastic idea habilo.
Someguy: I like your idea. Here's my thought on it. How about making the suitcase a tip over box, fit caster wheels on it or carry it if your biceps allow and do the job.
Cheers
There is a delightful illusion on the Mark Wilson tape "Inexpensive Illusions" I forget if it is on the first volume or second, but it involves construction of a train station on a small "card table". Let me know by PM if you would like further details.

Frank
Mark Wilsons book also has some dollhouse type appearances.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jun 16, 2004 07:51AM)
When we worked in S. America my dad made a
shadow box like trick. It was a folded up
cube and I would appear out of it.

I don't know what its called. Like I mentioned
it was collapsable and folded flat. If you
really want to know what it is I can ask him.

We still have it. It packed up in the garage
on one of the shelves. I think I have photos
scanned from the show somwhere. I'll go look.
[quote]
Someguy: I like your idea. Here's my thought on it. How about making the suitcase a tip over box, fit caster wheels on it or carry it if your biceps allow and do the job.
Cheers
[/quote]
I actually carried a small 13 year old boy in a footlocker for a "ventriloquist" act. A 5 year old in a suitcase shouldn't be too hard to carry. Caster wheels would make it easier, though.
How about a body harness for you and a cape (child on your back)

paula
Hello All

How about a Six foot Blond, then Dinner & a Movie...Hmm

or if all else fails TRY investing in some magic Books & Learning your craft, Instead of expecting all info to just be given away for free.

ML
If you can locate an inexpensive copy (soft covers) of Grant's Victory Carton Illusions your problem will be solved.
I prefer the six foot blonde mmmm no make it a red head and dinner of course. You are paying right Lee?
We used a large square circle to produce the kids when they were young.
Gift Surprise by Antgon Corradin could work with a smaller package held by one finger
Cool thought Mark
Tarbell volume 7 or 8 has a child production in it with minimal props.
I am preforming with my daughter, she is 12, and I build the victory carton house from wood and painted it nicely. It works grate for large stage as well for small stage. If you have good hands you can paint it as one of the houses in one of the story books.
good luck.