(Close Window)
Topic: Grandfathers top Adam Wilbur
Https://eu.vulpinecreations.com/collections/vulpine-tricks/products/grandfathers-top

Adam has new magic company.
Looks cool
Very nice! Definitely adds a nice emotional touch to the usual levitation. The top spinning while floating is definitely visually interesting and magical as well. While the vanish and reappearance to the impossible location adds a great kicker. Lots of good stuff going on here for a complete routine.

I do wonder about the set up. How easy is it to get in and out of? Hoping it could be pretty impromptu in the the sense that you can have it on you and get into it when needed pretty easily.

Also, I can't tell if the vanish is extremely obvious or quite deceiving! In one example of the demo, it seems pretty fair. Being able to show hands and arms pretty open. Other instances not so much. Not fishing here but is a long sleeve/hoodie required?

Any insights into these two aspects would be appreciated. Definitely interested in getting this.
It looks like this would need to be the last thing you do and then you have to walk away backwards if you don't want them seeing the vanished top.
Why am I guessing this will be another thread effect I buy and never use? I have so many levitation effects lying around that Iíve never even opened....but I know Iíll end up buying this anyway
I really like the premise of the effect. Curious as to the hook-up for this.
[quote]On Feb 22, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Why am I guessing this will be another thread effect I buy and never use? I have so many levitation effects lying around that Iíve never even opened....but I know Iíll end up buying this anyway [/quote]

Ha, me too! I just always have such bad luck with effects using this gimmick.
The site says it is sold out. Anyone know when more will be available?
^ Bummer. Could have sworn it wasn't sold out earlier in the day when I checked it out. Should have just bought it then if so.

Here is something I gleaned from Adam Wilburs Instagram feed with regard to the vanish. He says:
"...comes with everything you need to perform it. If you want to do the wave vanish at the end youíll an additional item that most magicians already have but we teach other ways to vanish it as well"
[quote]On Feb 22, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
Why am I guessing this will be another thread effect I buy and never use? I have so many levitation effects lying around that Iíve never even opened....but I know Iíll end up buying this anyway [/quote]
I like the idea of this, but I think the over-use of floating the thing, for me, would lose the wow factor of the story/item.
Reminds me of the (can't remember the creator- possibly Ryan Shultz) floating quarter method for the levitation part.
[quote]On Feb 23, 2021, RNK wrote:
Reminds me of the (can't remember the creator- possibly Ryan Shultz) floating quarter method for the levitation part. [/quote] I feel the float method is that, which was the Fearson set-up. However, the item is interesting and I'm sure it lends itself to a good storyline.
:spinningcoin:
Agree, the prop can definitely fit that storyline. I love the added vanish at then end. Not sure if I would make it reappear, possibly.
Wow, this sure sold out quickly!
Perhaps thinking as a magician but this, and similar floating effects using IT look so blindingly obvious to me.
Of course if you thinking like a magician. I think even non-magicians with common sense figure as much. It's simply the visual nature of it and I candy that intrigues most.
Looks like this is getting a wide release through Murphy's. Intrigued to hear people's thoughts/reviews on this.
I love levitations and IT but I am not sure about this one.
The object really looks nostalgic and with further aging it could be much better.

Maybe it would be already enough to spin it in the hand and let it float just a few millimeters above it.
The dangling, vanish and re-appearance seems overkill. Less is more.
Agree with Pegasus,. Note the promo doesnít show it floating ďall around your body.Ē Looks like traditional Fearson hookup with a top rather than cigarette.
I got bored and ordered it. Arrives Monday. Iíll let you know.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2021, dunraven wrote:
Agree with Pegasus,. Note the promo doesnít show it floating ďall around your body.Ē Looks like traditional Fearson hookup with a top rather than cigarette. [/quote]
Yes, that's what I said above, and I also think it is over doing the float. Above the hand and back down should be more than enough. Otherwise, in my opinion, it looks like the cheap UFO card (hummer card) thing that has been way over used....as a toy "trick".
Looks good and Adam is a good teacher who usually releases and shares practical effects.
One of the best close-up levitations was Daniel Cros floating seahorse. This is also be a big winner. Would love to see the full routine.

Best

Steve
[quote]On Mar 5, 2021, Rizzo wrote:
Looks good and Adam is a good teacher who usually releases and shares practical effects. [/quote]

I'm not necessarily a fan of IT, but I like Adam Wilbur's effects, and he definitely is a very good teacher, very detailed and thorough. I also like the disappearance/reappearance ending.
I was also pretty happy to see this available again, so immediately bought it.
I think floating just above the hand does it, tops!
Exactly. The WORST thing you can do is a slow levitation from hand to hand. Just levitating it a TINY bit so theyíre not even sure of what theyíre seeing is the way to go. Then do it one more time so they see yes it did levitate. Great trick. The vanish looks weird as hell too.

Interesting premise but I doubt Iíll ever spend money on anything Adam Wilbur puts out again after this. Read my review on page three.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=672668&forum=218
Happy to read reviews and see if it's really more practical than other levitations on the market as he seems to say...
[quote]On Mar 6, 2021, Futureal wrote:
ď...The WORST thing you can do is a slow levitation from hand to hand. Just levitating it a TINY bit so theyíre not even sure of what theyíre seeing is the way to go. Then do it one more time so they see yes it did levitate....Ē[/quote]

Bingo.
I posted a review of this on my YouTube channel. Iíve never been into levitation systems/effects as IT is not my favorite thing in the world but the instructions are superb and if someone wants to get into IT or levitations this is an excellent place to begin or further your existing knowledge!

[youtube]pavRHBex19k[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/pavRHBex19k

I hope you find this helpful!

Tyler 😊
I love the storyline this offers, although I do wish the bottle cap was more aged, can it be switched out for another?
Does the IT come ready to go out of the box?

Oh, what am I thinking, me and IT just donít get along. My eyesight is too poor and my touch isnít sensitive enough. I swore Iíd never try it again but I can be a glutton for punishment.
Canít figure out how to get to the tutorial. Iíve typed in the address five times and nothing. Any thoughts?
Thanks for the review Tyler.
I purchased this and I'm waiting to get it. I'll review after it comes in. I agree with one of the earlier posts that with this, not only is less probably more, but it seems to me that it lends itself to having it seem like spins up the palm and onto the tip of a finger. I think that would be even more magical than levitation.
KJ
[quote]On Mar 6, 2021, Tyler Lunsford wrote:

I hope you find this helpful!

Tyler 😊 [/quote]

Thanks for your review, Tyler.
Nothing like a review from some kid whoís been in magic for a few years.
Nothing like a review from some kid whoís been in magic for a few years. [/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on an open forum, play nice kids.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2021, Jacob Smith wrote:
Nothing like a review from some kid whoís been in magic for a few years. [/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on an open forum, play nice kids. [/quote]
Totally agree, well said.

We don't know how old he is, so there's no evidence to call him a kid (even if he is younger than you).
Also just because you haven't heard of him and his review channel, doesn't mean he hasn't been doing magic for years. Be nice.
I ordered this today. I normally do not do any IT work and I will keep this at an extreme minimum maybe just causing it to float above my hand and then having it land again I will then do a vanish and have it reappear in the Box. I really like the look on this the box and the top at least on video look very nice and I'm looking forward to receiving this and will post a review.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Can't wait Eric! :) Really wonder how practical it is to get into the levitating part...
While I really like the idea of this, all of these types of tricks have same general flaw. The object looks like it's dangling, not floating. It might look good if it spun in one hand, quickly floated over to the other, then vanished. No floating and moving around the body, which pretty much gives away the method.
Ben I cannot wait as well. I do agree that if this is used in the same manner as the UFO card it will not go over so well the way I'm going to do this effect I will say as a child I love magic but my grandfather gave me this top to try to take my mind off of magic and whenever he saw me fiddling around with magic he would take the top away and I would have to go find it in the Box where he hid it I will simply spin the top allow it to float land it vanishes and then grab the box open it back up and say sorry Grandpa and take the box show it to the audience and close it up. I think this should be a short and sweet routine not anyting prolonged let them really wonder how the top floated for just a moment and then completely vanished that's my opinion.

Good magic to all,

Eric
My first impression of this is a good one. The props seem good quality and Adamís teaching is clear and detailed. My first IT effect was the floating rose some 25 yrs ago. I still remember my mom yelling, ďpick up the phone. Some guy named Kevin James wants to talk to you about a floating flower.Ē Since then, Iíve bought 20ish floating effects and a grand total of zero of them made it to my act. Many never even made it out of the box. This one is different enough that I might actually work with it. I really like the grandfather story line with the great reappearance at the end. A nice full circle premise and the top finally gives justification for having to spin the object. The hook up and moves are all standard. The wave vanish looks very nice but leaves you dirty and angle sensitive. (Plus youíll probably need to buy something to make it work). Adam teaches a second vanish that eliminates those issues, and I actually like it better. The box is simple in design and well made. Not examinable. You can switch the bottle caps for other bottle caps easily if youíd like. U get enough basic IT materials to perform about 12-15 times. Each set up is good for one performance only but Adam walks though how to make and transport 10-15 setups for quick reset.

Overall, I think this is a solid release. You know what you are getting so if you like what you see in the trailer, you will like this.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
Ben I cannot wait as well. I do agree that if this is used in the same manner as the UFO card it will not go over so well the way I'm going to do this effect I will say as a child I love magic but my grandfather gave me this top to try to take my mind off of magic and whenever he saw me fiddling around with magic he would take the top away and I would have to go find it in the Box where he hid it I will simply spin the top allow it to float land it vanishes and then grab the box open it back up and say sorry Grandpa and take the box show it to the audience and close it up. I think this should be a short and sweet routine not anyting prolonged let them really wonder how the top floated for just a moment and then completely vanished that's my opinion.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]
Yep, my plan exactly! Short and sweet!
[quote]On Mar 8, 2021, emyers99 wrote:
My first impression of this is a good one. The props seem good quality and Adamís teaching is clear and detailed. My first IT effect was the floating rose some 25 yrs ago. I still remember my mom yelling, ďpick up the phone. Some guy named Kevin James wants to talk to you about a floating flower.Ē Since then, Iíve bought 20ish floating effects and a grand total of zero of them made it to my act. Many never even made it out of the box. This one is different enough that I might actually work with it. I really like the grandfather story line with the great reappearance at the end. A nice full circle premise and the top finally gives justification for having to spin the object. The hook up and moves are all standard. The wave vanish looks very nice but leaves you dirty and angle sensitive. (Plus youíll probably need to buy something to make it work). Adam teaches a second vanish that eliminates those issues, and I actually like it better. The box is simple in design and well made. Not examinable. You can switch the bottle caps for other bottle caps easily if youíd like. U get enough basic IT materials to perform about 12-15 times. Each set up is good for one performance only but Adam walks though how to make and transport 10-15 setups for quick reset.

Overall, I think this is a solid release. You know what you are getting so if you like what you see in the trailer, you will like this. [/quote]

Thanks emyers99, this is very helpful. Sorry to see the hookups not reusable, but kind of makes sense now.
I should clarify. If you donít want to do a vanish, the setup is reusable.
Adam's important contribution here is that he has validated the need for spin. A "spinning top" makes sense. Spinning cards, silver blocks and finger-rings, do not.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
While I really like the idea of this, all of these types of tricks have same general flaw. The object looks like it's dangling, not floating. It might look good if it spun in one hand, quickly floated over to the other, then vanished. No floating and moving around the body, which pretty much gives away the method. [/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

If magicians really believe that spectators will watch this and not think "oh that thread is clever, I really cannot see it" they are deluded.
Thank you all for your input - that sounds like an interesting one!
Adam agrees that less is more. He doesnít normally do the around the body moves but does teach it so people know how to do it. His routine is more short floats and a hand to hand float before ultimately doing the vanish. He also stresses slow smooth movements so as not to telegraph the IT.
Eric I absolutely agree with Adam's assessment of this effect. And to me the beautiful part of this is you basically have a two-for-one deal here because just as they're trying to figure out the floating of the top it's vanished and then reappears in the beautiful box. I can see this in my mind and I have to admit it plays very well there. Now of course the fun part waiting on it to arrive and then working with it to make sure it appears very smooth. I just really like this whole idea.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 8, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

Sounds like a real good routine. I hope your audience enjoys it. I haven't come up with a routine yet, my plan is to see what he does with it and hopefully come up with some inspiration from his work and what others are reporting here on the Cafť. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
KJ
Iím intrigued by this due to the story. Can anyone provide a hint as to what other item you need to have for the final vanish? Also, having avoided tricks using this method for many years, what consideration must the performer pay to lighting conditions?
As to the lighting conditions I believe it's like any other effect that uses this method, light shining overhead and or behind you would not be good. Also, like any other floating trick, any area that is well lit can potentially be a problem.
I have found most lighting conditions to be fine, but be honest with yourself when you get to the venue. If you can see, they can!

PropDog review is out:
[youtube]ThMseMpt7ow[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 10, 2021 09:12AM)
Great review definitely appreciated and I am looking forward to this. The thing I like is I do not do this kind of effect because I was never really good with this kind of gimmick however being that the levitation is only for a short while I will definitely put the time and practice into this even though the moment will only last for a moment.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Excellent review by Propdog. Anyone can have an opinion, but I really like when a reviewer adds value for the viewer. This review was really good.

I hear a lot of people, including the Propdog reviewer talking about how much they dislike IT work. I used to feel that way until several years ago, when one of my daughters had to spend a lot of time at a hospital and we spent a lot of time sitting, waiting to see this person or that person. We had to do something to pass the time. So, there were a couple things that we did a lot of. One was a simple thing where I had an elastic IT on a reel where I would stick the other end to a table. I would pretend like I was trying to make something like a ball of paper levitate and it didn't seem to work. Out of the corner of my eye, I would wait until someone started looking and then I would make it work just enough for them to notice. As soon as they told a friend, and the friend started looking, it would no longer work. Then, when only they were looking, it would work again. This would go on until frequently, they would approach us. At that point, I would say that strange "abilities" ran in my family, but it really skips a generation, so it is my daughter who has the skills. I would then have them put their hand behind their back and hold out a number of fingers and she could "see" it. It was a wonderful way to pass the time in a hospital, and I quickly grew very comfortable with IT.

KJ
[quote]On Mar 10, 2021, 1KJ wrote:
Excellent review by Propdog. Anyone can have an opinion, but I really like when a reviewer adds value for the viewer. This review was really good.

I hear a lot of people, including the Propdog reviewer talking about how much they dislike IT work. I used to feel that way until several years ago, when one of my daughters had to spend a lot of time at a hospital and we spent a lot of time sitting, waiting to see this person or that person. We had to do something to pass the time. So, there were a couple things that we did a lot of. One was a simple thing where I had an elastic IT on a reel where I would stick the other end to a table. I would pretend like I was trying to make something like a ball of paper levitate and it didn't seem to work. Out of the corner of my eye, I would wait until someone started looking and then I would make it work just enough for them to notice. As soon as they told a friend, and the friend started looking, it would no longer work. Then, when only they were looking, it would work again. This would go on until frequently, they would approach us. At that point, I would say that strange "abilities" ran in my family, but it really skips a generation, so it is my daughter who has the skills. I would then have them put their hand behind their back and hold out a number of fingers and she could "see" it. It was a wonderful way to pass the time in a hospital, and I quickly grew very comfortable with IT.

KJ [/quote]

great story !KJ...and yes, a good Propdog review, they are pretty honest if they don't like an effect.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2021, 1KJ wrote:

KJ [/quote]

Very good, that made me smile!!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 11, 2021 10:39AM)
That made me smile also. and I hope your daughter is doing very well. And I would like to add the way you very astutely noticed when the onlookers started to notice what was going on is a very good Testament to how much magicians should always be aware of our surroundings without making it obvious so many times a true magical moment happens when people think you don't even know they're looking. Thank you for sharing that with us and again all the best to your daughter and your family.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 11, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
That made me smile also. and I hope your daughter is doing very well. And I would like to add the way you very astutely noticed when the onlookers started to notice what was going on is a very good Testament to how much magicians should always be aware of our surroundings without making it obvious so many times a true magical moment happens when people think you don't even know they're looking. Thank you for sharing that with us and again all the best to your daughter and your family.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

Thank you Eric. My daughter was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (fm) when she was in middle school. they said it was hereditary because her aunt has it. My wife and I were convinced there was a solution out there, so we took her (poor thing) to every hospital, every doctor, every specialist, accupuncture, herbal doctor, etc. She was going to Children's Hospital in LA three days a week for some therapy or other. We finally cured her fm. My wife thinks it was the herbal doctor in Beverly Hills (Very good, and surprisingly not very expensive), and I think it was that after two months of Children's Hospital refusing to give her an antibiotic, they finally did. She suffered a lot of nerve damage in her digestive tract, but when she finally came out of it several years later, she had an unbelievable drive to live life to its fullest. She is currently a student at Stanford University, because she was driven to get into the best University she could, and make the most of her life. If any of you have a child that is driven and wants to get into a Stanford, Ivy League or Oxford type school, send me a PM and I'll tell you how she did it.

KJ
Adam Wilber joined me yesterday to tell you EVERYTHING you want to know about Grandfather's Top!
Watch now :thumbsup:

[youtube]G4Cgcpt5GYw[/youtube]
[quote]On Mar 11, 2021, Luke Dancy wrote:
Adam Wilber joined me yesterday to tell you EVERYTHING you want to know about Grandfather's Top!
[/quote]

Thanks Luke that answered so many questions!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 11, 2021 03:25PM)
KJ that is absolutely wonderful and I am very very happy for you and your family take care my friend.

Eric
Here is what I say if I get caught, as Adam was asked by Luke about them seeing the thread:

"OK, I have a confession to make. I'm only in my second year at wizard school. These are my training wheels."

kj
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 12, 2021 10:59AM)
That had me laughing when I read it thank you so much! I do have a question for anyone who has this now when you vanish the original spinning top and it reappears in the Box can anyone tell me if this is actually another spinning top or are they something else that looks like the top that it reappears in the Box I hope that makes sense? Thank you in advance.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 12, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
That had me laughing when I read it thank you so much! I do have a question for anyone who has this now when you vanish the original spinning top and it reappears in the Box can anyone tell me if this is actually another spinning top or are they something else that looks like the top that it reappears in the Box I hope that makes sense? Thank you in advance.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

Thinking the exact same thing :)
[quote]On Mar 12, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

Me too.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 12, 2021 01:36PM)
I started to watch this and will finish it when I get home later on I just found out my grandfather's top was sent to me today and I am awaiting its arrival. So I will be very interested in this video.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Thanks Luke and Adam. Great presentation.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 12, 2021 05:00PM)
Well it looks like mine should be here tomorrow and needless to say I am looking forward to it. I'll also let everyone know what the gimmick top and dowel look like if it's the same as the main one.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: I Believe In Magic (Mar 13, 2021 04:41AM)
Is it just me or does the post vanish position look really awkward and, dare I say it, unnatural?
Really nice idea for a story though, shows the power of effective presentation and that alone is inspiring for how we should present magic
I actually don't think the vanish looks totally unnatural. I have seen many more moves in routines that look a lot worse and yet somehow don't diminish the routine.
Indeed, in Luke Dancy's interview with Adam Wilbur, the vanish method suggested is clever and easy, a method I did not initially think of, though could be considered angly for a few moments.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 10:37AM)
Due to the nature of vanishes I believe there will always be a certain amount of what I like to call acceptable awkwardness. And as with all vanishes you should at least be somewhat mindful of your angles. Now granted some vanishes are instantaneous and to the untrained naked eye can actually be done right under the nose of spectators. But I do like the idea of this and what helps is it appears everything is done in the most normal flow of things for example the top is spinning which is what a top is supposed to do then it levitates but only for a moment and then the vanish happens. I'm waiting on mine to arrive today and I will definitely post my thoughts on this but I really like it and the whole premise.

Good magic to all,

Eric
If the vanish is what it looks like I don't know what situation you would use it in other than in a demo for a magic product.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 02:36PM)
Mine showed up today but I have not been home yet I will look at it and let you guys know about the reappearance in the Box what that is made up of.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 03:44PM)
Well I finally got home and my wife and I open this up and I can tell you it is very nicely made for being a nice simple prop. As far as the reappearance in the Box goes you can use either side that you open both of them are very working functional tops. To be honest that was a huge relief for me and it's nice to know you can make it reappear and put it together again if you wanted to. I have not watched the instructions yet but I plan on doing that later on today. If any of you are on the fence about this and would like to give IT a try I believe you will be happy with this purchase. And honestly the way this is set up even if you did not want to do it with that you can always tell the story of the top Vanishing it and make it reappear in the box that in and of itself would be a very nice effect. I'm very glad I purchased this and look forward to the instructional video.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 03:47PM)
I do have a side question for anyone who has seen their logo I cannot quite make out what it's supposed to be sometimes I look at it it looks like two boxes with x's on it but just a little curious as to what it looks like to you guys? I even tried turning it upside down to see what it looks like that way but turned upside down it looks like something from Star Trek. Anyway very nice prop.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Can you exchange the bottle cap for an old rusty one?
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 04:09PM)
Yes I see no reason why you could not do that there is a round wooden discs that goes into the cap that is used for the dowel that is provided for the spinning top as long as that will fit inside the cap you want to replace it with there should be no problem but you will have to drill the hole of course through the cap.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 13, 2021, videoman wrote:
Can you exchange the bottle cap for an old rusty one? [/quote]

You certainly could. In fact, I plan to do that. By the way, the method for the re-appearance of the bottle cap and dowel absolutely made me laugh at it's simple ingenuity.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2021 09:13PM)
I just finished watching the instructional video and I too had to laugh at the Simplicity of this vanish! The teaching on this instructional video is absolutely superb. I know some people may think that $40 for this effect is too high I would respectfully disagree with them. As some of you know I've had one criteria as to the value of a magic effect and that is if I were to lose it or it breaks would I reinvest to buy another one? In this case I would not hesitate to buy another Grandfather's Top. I will put the time and effort into the handling of this because honestly it is not that hard to do and the final result will be more than the effort. A huge Plus for me is the IT comes ready to use you do not have to separate anything you just measure out how much you need cut it and you're ready to go. I give this effect my highest recommendation.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 11, 2021, Luke Dancy wrote:

[youtube]G4Cgcpt5GYw[/youtube] [/quote]

Well there you have it. How could he possibly be more honest and descriptive. If you watch this video, there is no way you could be surprised by what you purchased.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 14, 2021 09:47AM)
Absolutely agree with you. I will say this much I was pleasantly surprised at the detail Adam goes into on the instructional video to help you get familiar with working with this type of gimmick. And with the IT ready to go that really is a huge Plus.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 13, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
I do have a side question for anyone who has seen their logo I cannot quite make out what it's supposed to be sometimes I look at it it looks like two boxes with x's on it but just a little curious as to what it looks like to you guys? I even tried turning it upside down to see what it looks like that way but turned upside down it looks like something from Star Trek. Anyway very nice prop.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

I think it's a fox head, based on the word vulpine: related to foxes
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 15, 2021 09:06AM)
I think you are absolutely correct I just looked at it and I could see how it could be the head of a fox. All I kept seeing is two boxes with an x on it😊

Good magic to all,

Eric
The spinning top is a perfect item/idea for a levitation effect,just think of a flying saucer, it spins in the air. doesn't it seem more logical for a spinning object to be able to levitate and the spinning action is what causes the top to "lift off". I haven't purchased this item but its next on my list.
So wish I could do this effect. It looks like it would be a blast to perform. But alas, I can barely see visible thread, much less this.
Has anyone found the 'something' needed for the vanish?
[quote]On Mar 16, 2021, Harry Patter wrote:
Has anyone found the 'something' needed for the vanish? [/quote]

In the video, he says you can use the same gimmick that is in Greg Wilson's Split Focus. I would think that any strong m***** attached to a piece of cloth and safety pinned to the inside of your shirt would work.

I ordered mine from Penguin and they still show that it is not available. Does anyone know what's up?

KJ
[quote]On Mar 16, 2021, 1KJ wrote:
I ordered mine from Penguin and they still show that it is not available. Does anyone know what's up?
KJ [/quote]
The first batch sold out and they are waiting for the next batch to show up.
I literally do nothing with IT, but have ordered this as I really like the story and narrative behind the effect...

There's no way I would float this around as shown in the demo (like NO WAY) but a quick levitation and vanish could look pretty cool.

I'm curious though, is the extra 'thing' used for the wave vanish m******c? He says most magicians will probably have this - I'm just not sure if I do....
Might be a m1 maóó- with a wrist holder.
If you watch Luke Dancy's interview with Adam he tells you what it is.
What about Venom for a hook up. I don't have it but I thought someone might want to know.
Kim
[quote]On Mar 16, 2021, CardGuyMike wrote:
[quote]On Mar 16, 2021, 1KJ wrote:
KJ [/quote]
The first batch sold out and they are waiting for the next batch to show up. [/quote]

Thanks. I thought I saw March 15th somewhere. Does anyone know what date it is expected?
KJ
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 17, 2021 11:35PM)
I thought I was going to be waiting as well and then was pleasantly surprised a few days ago when Hocus Pocus sent me an email saying it was out for delivery to me. I've already aged it a little using a cheese grater a very old one that has the little dots on it and I gently rubbed the cap on it and it worked very well. But a little tip remember to hold both caps the same way with the same amount of pressure and in the same spot on the grater if you decide to use this method you want them both to look alike.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Mar 18, 2021, RNK wrote:
If you watch Luke Dancy's interview with Adam he tells you what it is. [/quote]

Thanks, I hadn't seen that video. I assumed it was that, but was wondering if a 'black bird' or 'black night flyer' would work
I like this up to the final vanish. My copy has arrived, and I have viewed the tutorial, which on the whole is very good. The issue I have is that the final vanish in the demo is completely unfinished. If you are performing to video, then fine, however it is completely unusable in any live performance where you do not have a curtain coming down in front of you immediately afterwards. Adam suggests that if you do not have the required object to perform the vanish you can do a simple FT style vanish, however he neglects to explain how to clean up after the vanish on the demo is performed. IMO it's a pretty serious omission. I am big enough and ugly enough to come up with my own vanish - however I'm going to have to. Adam's tutorial is very detailed up to this point, his routine and justification are strong, however I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't spend more time on the clean up on the vanish - this section is rushed compared with everything else.

DanHumphrey - a black bird or black night flyer would work fine, providing you can hook into it ok on the fly. I would probably suggest discarding the h**k up, and spinning the top again on your hand as you would do as part of one of the phases, and passing the black bird over while it spins - that would look better IMO than the wavy thing Adam does, assuming the black bird is powerful enough.

Kimwizard - I don't have a Venom, so I cannot say for sure, however assuming it is similar in operation to a certain hairy spider, the IT will get wound up like a spring during the performance, due to the top spinning. Thus, over a couple of performances, you may find it becomes a little brittle. If it is easy enough to replace the IT on the device then fine (the last ITR I owned was from back in the 90s, and was a mess of darning hooks and elastic bands and very difficult to refill), otherwise stick to a regular h**k up. Adam spends a good deal of time explaining how to make several set ups for multiple performances, and a useful way to safely store these.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2021, magikmax wrote: The issue I have is that the final vanish in the demo is completely unfinished.

DanHumphrey - a black bird or black night flyer would work fine, providing you can hook into it ok on the fly

[/quote]

Great feedback, thanks magikmax!!
Has anybody else tried any different thread. My thread seems a lot thicker than say Vera thread but not sure if betray thread would be strong enough for this trick. Love the teaching and the hook up. Only been practicing a few days but itís starting to look good. The first moment you get to make it rise just a couple of inches looks amazing when you get it just right.
I'm still waiting for mine from Penguin. It seems to be taking a really long time to make an additional batch.
Iím still waiting as well? I contacted penguin and they said it was to arrive last week?? Getting ready to cancel my order.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Apr 21, 2021 10:19AM)
Mr. Effecto I would be patient because this is well worth waiting for and who knows maybe it will get to you a lot faster than you think I know I was surprised when mine showed up because I thought I was going to be waiting for it even longer as well. But this is well worth waiting for my friend I know it's aggravating but it will be worth the wait.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I can't find it on Penguin any more. What the ...?
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Apr 23, 2021 08:45AM)
I checked the Hocus Pocus magic website it says the first batch is indeed sold out but they are expecting more sometime this month so I know especially coming from me this is really rich but try to be patient and just know it is well worth the wait the simple switch out box alone is worth the wait. You actually get 2 spinning top setups in order to do the switch. This will be my first levitating effect that I do. And if I can do it you guys can do it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Itís not even showing up on my account? It like disappeared????
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Apr 23, 2021 10:57AM)
Okay well I will agree that is unusual. Have you tried to contact them and if so what did they tell you?

Good magic to all,

Eric
I ordered from Vanishing Inc. 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting too - I've just emailed them to see if they have an eta.

I've just checked the penguin website and it says they are expecting stock on April 27th.
OK, at least it is back on Penguin. It disappeared for some time.
VI also expecting to ship on 27th so consistent with penguin.... I'm looking forward to receiving this as it's different to a lot of other stuff I do.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Apr 27, 2021 09:32AM)
Hey guys just a heads up grandfather's top is back in stock at Hocus Pocus magic so check all your dealers get those orders in haha.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Free US shipping at HP too!
PropDog will have more stock on Friday.
I love levitation and use Tarantula and Spider Pen as my go-to reels. You of course can't do a Fearson HU with tension. The IT provided with this trick is unusable in anything other than maybe stage or Zoom. In fact, I have stage IT that is less visible than this. I mean completely unusable in closeup or really even parlor. Buy it for the well-made gimmick but ditch the IT other than for practice.
I just got this and watched the instruction video. I'm wondering why the attachment is in the location it is in instead of at the top? If attached at the top, it would spin very smoothly for a really long time. I plan on using this in a parlor setting.
If I'm not mistaken I believe the idea of it being attached where it is is to make it not look too controlled but to have that certain bit of uncertainty in the air taking away the possibility of the thread being in play to begin with. I know it was covered somewhere but I tried looking up where I saw that explanation at and I simply can't find it but I know it was covered at one point or another. Who knows it may have been on this thread somewhere.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I have not seen the instructions for this but I know when I started to do the floating coin I wondered why the hookup was on the underside of the coin. I assumed it made the IT less visible cause itís not in a straight line but I donít really know
[quote]On May 4, 2021, The great Gumbini wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I believe the idea of it being attached where it is is to make it not look too controlled but to have that certain bit of uncertainty in the air taking away the possibility of the thread being in play to begin with. I know it was covered somewhere but I tried looking up where I saw that explanation at and I simply can't find it but I know it was covered at one point or another. Who knows it may have been on this thread somewhere.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

I think it has to do with whether you are performing really close-up or back a few feet. If you use the thread provided, and I think it is preferable because a thinner thread would break too easily, then the thread itself could be seen if you are too close. Therefore, performing a few feet away is preferable, IMO, and then the problem with the hookup is it gets wobbly really quickly. I find that if it is spinning more steadily, it looks more magical.

KJ
[quote]On May 3, 2021, dunraven wrote:
I love levitation and use Tarantula and Spider Pen as my go-to reels. You of course can't do a Fearson HU with tension. The IT provided with this trick is unusable in anything other than maybe stage or Zoom. In fact, I have stage IT that is less visible than this. I mean completely unusable in closeup or really even parlor. Buy it for the well-made gimmick but ditch the IT other than for practice. [/quote]

So dunraven feels the included IT is unusable except for on stage or zoom, and he doesnít sound too sure even about that. Donít believe Iíve heard that complaint about this item before, whatís the general consensus on the IT? How does the visibility compare to Loops?

I suspect dunraven may not be aware that he probably has much better than average eyesight, or maybe you all agree?
You can do your own analysis. The IT supplied is on the left, the Vectra is on the right (adhered to the top).

https://adamdunraven.com/invisible-thread
Ordered some replacement thread from Vulpine Creations, shipped May 18th, last UPS update was May 19th. Checked last week and UPS showed delayed, still showing that today. Have sent 3 emails with screen shots of UPS site, still no answer. First was last Thursday. There is no phone number or contact info on their site other than using email. Not happy with the service at all.
[quote]On Jun 2, 2021, fcchief1 wrote:
Ordered some replacement thread from Vulpine Creations, shipped May 18th, last UPS update was May 19th. Checked last week and UPS showed delayed, still showing that today. Have sent 3 emails with screen shots of UPS site, still no answer. First was last Thursday. There is no phone number or contact info on their site other than using email. Not happy with the service at all. [/quote]
Well I have to retract my previous post, Adam got hold of me, told me to call him, which I did. Seems he has had a problem with USPS a few times with packages getting lost. He wanted to make things right so he said he would send me a few spools of IT and a yet to be released product (Which I researched and is awesome). In addition he shipped it USPS Express with a tracking number and texted me the information. Now that is awesome customer service, just wanted to set the record straight, Thanks Adam!
[quote]On May 6, 2021, dunraven wrote:
You can do your own analysis. The IT supplied is on the left, the Vectra is on the right (adhered to the top).
https://adamdunraven.com/invisible-thread [/quote]

I would say: what I see on the left is not an IT thread at all, but an exercise thread