(Close Window)
Topic: CHOP-DOH by J. Natera
The Chop Cup is re-reinvented using a Play-Doh cup!
Ideal for any type of shows including virtual ones.

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=69190

Includes:
* Two regular yellow balls (simulated to look like Play-Doh)
* One chop ball
* One regular red ball
* One final load ball
* One rubber duck
* Chop Cup with lid

Also includes access to an online video where you can learn some moves and get some ideas to start to present this trick.
Like it.
Looks like fun. Children and adults would enjoy this.
Nice. I like these logical props.
Message: Posted by: The Unmasked Magician (Apr 16, 2021 11:50PM)
Very nice. A chop cup that makes sense. Great thinking.
In the Propdog Live, we can see it's very hard to let the ball fall from the cup... Are we going to break the table to release the ball ? ;)

What's the difference with the Undermagic's Play-Chop ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvXkOF_qI8o&t=1s

ok, the balls look more realistic as if made of Play-Doh and the cup is in plastic...but the final load is a rubber duck instead of a Play-Doh figurine.

Let's mix the two and you have a great routine !!! :) :) :)
No intention to stir up a discussion about crediting, but rather to point out that originality in magic is often based on old concepts and ideas. Thatís why I love my Tarbell Courses!
Chad Long had a chop cup routine with a Play-Doh container (published in his Lost Cheesy Notebooks in 1995). Dorian Grey lectured at the end of last century his take on the chop cup with a can of Play-Doh. And Practical Magic sold a Play Chop: https://practical-magic.com/collections/latest-magic/products/play-chop.
How does a rubber duck as a final load even make sense?
[quote]On Apr 19, 2021, Woodfield wrote:
How does a rubber duck as a final load even make sense? [/quote]

In defense they didn't show a full routine (unless thatís what they are calling a routine)
How do either of them get away with using Play doh's label? It's so ironic.
James
This was shown and mentioned on the PropDog Live. They actually have it in stock.
Dave thought it could have been made better, but Alex liked the tutorial.

The major difference between this and Play-Cup is that Play-Cup isn't a genuine Play-Doh cup, it is much bigger and of course the final loads are great with Play-Cup hence the price.
PropDog have now taken Chop-Doh off their site and suggest anyone interested in a Play-Doh style chop should visit Josemiri's site:
https://undermagic.com/es/inicio/183-179-play-chop.html#/70-animales-unicornio
I own all of the Play-Chop renditions but the unicorn set. It is out of stock on the website. Can you notify me when it is back in stock? In the meantime, I ordered one of the Chop-Doh cups just to see how ****ty it really is after watching Dave from PropDog struggle to disengage the ball and describe the gaffing as the cheapest possible method. My prediction is we are going to be seeing a lot of these for sale in the for sale groups.
Mine came today, and Iím very dissatisfied.
You can see the magnet at the base of cup. Itís greyish/black the base is see through yellow. It literally looks likes thereís a washer magnet stuck inside the cup.
Inside it has a very obvious piece of white/yellow webbing material. But as I say, even if you manage your spectator enough to not look inside, theyíre not going to miss the small greyish magnet that can be seen through the bottom of the cup!
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, majikandy wrote:
You can see the magnet at the base of cup. Itís greyish/black the base is see through yellow. It literally looks likes thereís a washer magnet stuck inside the cup.
Inside it has a very obvious piece of white/yellow webbing material. But as I say, even if you manage your spectator enough to not look inside, theyíre not going to miss the small greyish magnet that can be seen through the bottom of the cup! [/quote]

Please do not grumble and then eat the loss and toss it in your drawer, falling victim to the false belief that you cannot return magic because now you know the ďsecretĒ.

Return it for a refund immediately.
Itís the only way to get manufacturers and distributors to step up their game and produce higher quality items. Otherwise they donít bother because it saves them a few pennies and they know they can get away with churning out junk. You have rights as a consumer.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, videoman wrote:
Inside it has a very obvious piece of white/yellow webbing material. But as I say, even if you manage your spectator enough to not look inside, theyíre not going to miss the small greyish magnet that can be seen through the bottom of the cup! [/quote]

Please do not grumble and then eat the loss and toss it in your drawer, falling victim to the false belief that you cannot return magic because now you know the ďsecretĒ.

Return it for a refund immediately.

Itís the only way to get manufacturers and distributors to step up their game and produce higher quality items. Otherwise they donít bother because it saves them a few pennies and they know they can get away with churning out junk. You have rights as a consumer. [/quote]

I have contacted the dealer to state my disappointment.

HOPEFULLY itís a one off / faulty stock, and can be rectified, else I will be seeking a full refund
I never had a problem returning something to penguin magic.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
I never had a problem returning something to penguin magic. [/quote]

Nor have I, they are very fair about that.

I hope that is not the case for all of them and that this was a one off. I have ordered it and will report if the one I received also has the same problem. Thank you for letting us know.
Michael
Did anybody actually try this on a spectator? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but you don't need to be a magician to know that Play-Doh might be sticking to the cup...
[quote]On Apr 30, 2021, Noobmaster69 wrote:
Did anybody actually try this on a spectator? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but you don't need to be a magician to know that Play-Doh might be sticking to the cup... [/quote]

Funny. I never thought of that. I suppose it depends upon the routine and how the "ball" is placed in the cup and then shown to be "empty"
You're probably right. Like I said... Maybe I'm overthinking this. Also, I know that a smooth ball of Play-Doh usually wouldn't stick, but still it would be the most logical explanation coming to my mind.
Brent Braun featured this in one of his Unboxing videos offering a very honest assessment of what a waste of money this is. He is sending his stock back and refusing to carry it in his store. He specifically points out the magnet and it is not a one-off defect. They are all like that and completely visible through the top of the cup.
A couple of dealers have done this.I can't understand why the quality control does not start with Murphys.
I preordered this, excited as can be about the concept, before I did any research about it.

Thankfully, I was able to cancel my preorder before it shipped.

Just wanted to say thank you to you all.

You saved me $40.00 plus shipping.

My bank account and I both very much appreciate it.
I almost purchased this as well, if it weren't from the commentary here on The Cafť. Truly "magicians helping magicians" in this case. Thank you everyone.
I reviewed this last night on my review show. Itís terrible. So many problems with the prop.

Hereís the link if you want to watch the review.

Cheers.

Craig.
How many BS products is Murphy going to sell this year ? Waiting for the next one... Come on, Murphy, we believe in you !!!! :) :) :)
Craig,

Great review. First off, to answer your initial question, yes, not only would I like to see more comparison videos like you did as you see a wealth of product on the market, but the demonstration of the product in question is very useful. Anyone seeing the ridiculous amount of effort needed to dislodge that ball wouldn't think twice of avoiding Chop Doh.

Second question..did you also notice that the magnet is visible through the top of the cup? Wasn't sure if that was an issue for you or not.

Michael
Iím just gonna be blunt. Iíve been a magic hobbyist for 25 years and this is possibly the worst piece of junk Iíve ever received. Murphyís should be embarrassed that theyíre carrying this.
I started to play around with it for my kids and within 30 seconds my son said thereís a magnet that holds the ball in there. I said how do you know that l? Heís said ďI can see it though the bottom of the cup.Ē Felt in the cup to cover the magnet in there? Eesh.
Then one of the ďballsĒ has this weird discoloration on it, right where the magnet was inserted.
Itís too bad. I would have paid $100 or more for something like this if it was made properly. Injection molded cup with embedded magnet for starters.
Thankfully I bought it from the awesome people at Vanishing Inc. They understood and remedied the problem. Stay away from this one.
Can't tell anything else than what was said... This is very bad, especially for the price. It's badly finished, not usable, and very cheap.
Nashville you can get a very good model for about $80.00 from the Spanish website listed above.
Vanishing inc. would have been more awesome if they refused to stock it!
Thanks Marky! Expensive but (I hope) worth it. I would have gladly paid this much for Chop Doh if it was made right.
Love the idea, hate the execution.

1.The gaff inside the cup is visible through the bottom of the cup. Fail.
2.The gaff ball is misshapen, likely from the insertion of the shim. It clearly stands out "gaffed" and different from the other balls. Fail.
3.The magnet is too strong/shim too big because the ball will NOT release with a moderate drop on the table. Fail.

I'm taking mine back for a refund.
Murphy's dropped the ball on this potentially great prop.

Do not buy this.
It really does make wonder if Murphy's ever actually says no to wholesaling a product or if they will just take any product that comes in. From a construction standpoint, lack of originality, etc, I'm not sure how this one passed any kind of control point.
Should Murphy's really be responsible for the quality of the products they distribute to anyone except the retailers they supply? They are a "middle man" after all. Shouldn't it be up to each seller to do their own research before offering a product to their customers? Can't they buy one, examine it, work with it, perform with it, and then decide whether they want to offer it to their customers? Sure, they miss some profits up front by not offering the latest prop, but wouldn't they gain in the long run by reinforcing a reputation for only offering products they stand behind?

I don't have an answer, just wondering.
Play-Chop by UnderMagic is larger, thicker and much nicer. Even the final load animal is created out of a Play-Doh looking modeling clay.
I love the idea! Very easy to acquire quality props. A magnet taped to your ring finger with flesh-colored cloth medical tape is a good way to start. Yes?

Doug
I have a play-chop unit and itís very well made.
[quote]On Apr 29, 2021, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
I never had a problem returning something to penguin magic. [/quote]

Nor have I, they are very fair about that. [/quote]

I am having trouble with Penguin Magic replying to my emails in regards to my Complaint about Chop_Doh
I have been dealing with Penguin Magic for at least 10 years + but this is the first time they have not replied.
I wonder if there getting so many complaints about this product which was sold as a Pre-Order item in mid April 2021.
They are still selling this product as of today 4th June 2021.
[quote]On May 3, 2021, allan31 wrote:
How many BS products is Murphy going to sell this year ? Waiting for the next one... Come on, Murphy, we believe in you !!!! :) :) :) [/quote]

How come Murphy's Magic promote wonderful videos of the props their advertising but the props received are sub standard manufacturing and nothing like whats on the video.
The Chop-Doh for instance. Watch the demo video www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=69190

2 other items that I have purchased and returned because basically false advertising and the actual props were very badly made
were the Magic photo camera by Mago Flash and Nahuel Ovivera Magic and the Practic by Mago flash Wand which I believed was a rip off of
Tommy James Measle teasle Wand 2.

Whoever is making these props at sub standard quality for Murphy's Magic needs to be stopped and they are ruining our art for the sake of making extra dollars
at the expense of the Dealers and their customers.
[quote]On May 7, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Should Murphy's really be responsible for the quality of the products they distribute to anyone except the retailers they supply? They are a "middle man" after all. Shouldn't it be up to each seller to do their own research before offering a product to their customers? Can't they buy one, examine it, work with it, perform with it, and then decide whether they want to offer it to their customers? Sure, they miss some profits up front by not offering the latest prop, but wouldn't they gain in the long run by reinforcing a reputation for only offering products they stand behind?

I don't have an answer, just wondering. [/quote]

Murphy's magic I believe actually manufacture a lot of what they advertise so they are the ones possibly responsible for the crap we are receiving via the dealers.
Check out this page on Murphy's Magic site www.murphysmagic.com/submitatrick/

The last Q & A on the page is Whats the cost?
Answer: NOTHING. We pay for EVERYTHING. Your travel, the filming, the editing, the marketing, the advertising, manufacturing, fulfillment, shipping, ordering, replication... everything.
You just sit back and collect a well-earned royalty check.

ITS ALL THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE!
I have this got it second hand so paid no where near the original,price. I like it . I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what the balls are made of as I would like to make up a few more for a final load idea.