(Close Window)
Topic: HOLY WOOD by Hanson Chien
Wow. This looks amazing.

A DECK OF CARDS MORPHS INTO A WOOD BLOCK

This miracle is designed by Hanson Chien and engineered by Yao.

BASIC EFFECT

Take a card push it through a solid deck of cards. When the card box is opened, however, the deck is solidÖbut a solid block of wood.

FEATURES

-No way
-No kidding
-Easy to carry
-Easy to perform
-A Self-Working Miracle
-An art piece rather than a prop

This art piece is proudly made in Taiwan. Each unit is individually fine-tuned by hand to ensure smooth and seamless operation.

Itís produced in small quantities and availability will be limited.

Comes with beautiful handmade block + 2 boxes with slit.

Complete with detailed instructions by Hanson Chien.

NOTE: Playing cards NOT included.

SEE WHAT THE PROS ARE SAYING

ďWhen I first opened the gimmick, I literally thought Hanson just shipped a block of wood to me as a prank. Upon further inspection,I was wrong. The gimmick is beautifully crafted, truly a piece of art.Ē
- Eric Chien

ďI love it! With the right presentation, this is a very solid routine you can perform anytime anywhere for real people. I canít wait to perform it!Ē
- Henry Harrius

ďReally amazing craft! I cannot feel more comfortable playing with it.Ē
- Horret Wu

ďThis is the best version Iíve ever seen! The process is logical and effective!Ē
- Jeki Yoo

ďAmong all the versions of card thru solid block this is by far the most elegant, practical and probably the only one I will carry everyday without feeling a heavy weight in my close-up saddle bag.Ē
- Yif

https://www.hanson-chien.com/products/holy-wood
Wow, I want this trick. Looks great.
I like impossible effects...
I agree and so much better than lugging a heavy rusty lump of steel around. Has the same desired effect, although youíll have to take extra care of this work of art.
Definitely a very cool version for the penetration effect. Love the added idea of the cards morphing into the block of wood.
It needs to be made extremely well, as anyone who views this will most definitely want to look and touch the block of wood. The only logical explanation is that it separates. So, unless they can look at it and literally hold it in their hand for observation (which might include lightly tugging in it) it will need to be made to "lock".

Anyone know just how tight this one is?
Inspectability? Durability? Wood can chip and warp. I prefer the heavy steel version. This Looks very good though. I'm sure he had put a lot of work into it.
Michael
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It needs to be made extremely well, as anyone who views this will most definitely want to look and touch the block of wood. The only logical explanation is that it separates. So, unless they can look at it and literally hold it in their hand for observation (which might include lightly tugging in it) it will need to be made to "lock".

Anyone know just how tight this one is? [/quote]

How then wood (joke) you unlock it? As long as itís stiff enough to pass casual inspection itíll be fine. Iím not sure anyone will consider that it somehow separates to form a gap. Itís just a block of wood isnít it?
I wish as well that it would lock, although that does mean a slower reset. I love the organic feel of the wood, however I do wonder as well how easy it comes apart.
I had a pretty good brass version a long time ago. I was young and did not use very good audience management. Someone looked at it and rubbed it with their thumbs, both thumbs while holding it with both hands, and it separated slightly. Just enough where you could see the secret.

Anyone who looks at it will look right at the middle, where the card went through it. And their natural instinct is to touch it (just as the lady did in the first video demo). If they start to pull on it, and you immediately take it from them, they will know. If you don't, it better be a strong fit, or your busted. And why wouldn't they pull on it....after all, it is just a block of wood (or a chunk of steel).
All true observations. Maybe the creator will answer these questions here?
The wood grain is an interesting alternative to the standard techniques when it comes to choice of material.

Funny, when I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to be something simpler, like a wooden Omni Deck, haha.

I imagine this will be made out of some kind of hard wood...or a specially prepared material that uses wood, like an epoxy that contains wood (fibers...? I'm already over my pay grade, here!).

In the trailer, it is shown with a knife going through the deck. I thought, "Don't do THAT! It's WOOD!" :) Again, it's construction could make that just fine. I imagine they will have found a way to make it durable, the question (as always on these) will be how deceptive it is.

Looking forward to seeing more!
When she takes the wood block out of the box I noticed a slight sheen down the center of the block. You can see it when the light hits it. Wonder how invisible the slit is?
Love this idea for the presentation side of things--it just makes sense that cards turn into wood. I have the same concerns that rowdy mentioned as well.
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
The wood grain is an interesting alternative to the standard techniques when it comes to choice of material.

Funny, when I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to be something simpler, like a wooden Omni Deck, haha.

I imagine this will be made out of some kind of hard wood...or a specially prepared material that uses wood, like an epoxy that contains wood (fibers...? I'm already over my pay grade, here!).

In the trailer, it is shown with a knife going through the deck. I thought, "Don't do THAT! It's WOOD!" :) Again, it's construction could make that just fine. I imagine they will have found a way to make it durable, the question (as always on these) will be how deceptive it is.

Looking forward to seeing more! [/quote]

That makes sense if it is indeed constructed from an epoxy type resin, to assimilate wood but much harder, or at least the working parts.
I ordered this a few days ago and it shipped today. I should have it in a couple of weeks or less I hope. I will email anybody pictures of it once I have it to show how it looks if wanted. Just pm me you email.
Hanson did make this video answering some of the questions (make sure you turn on the Closed Captions for English subtitles). I have one coming my way too so I can let you guys know once it arrives. I'm really excited to play around with it.

[youtube]EBO31UEMNMM[/youtube]
I am tempted but I have Jamie Grants Industrial Revolution and would never part with it even though it is a heavy bit of kit . Love the idea of this as it would save my suit pockets just wondering if its made of wood could it warp ?
Looks like a good one. The story is interesting too.
- uses a 'wooden skin' to hide the work

- I never got any indication that the material was anything other than a block of wood. Sure wouldn't like an accidental dent in the wrong location. I hope they're using a hardwood!

[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, JustJoshinMagic wrote:

[youtube]EBO31UEMNMM[/youtube] [/quote]
Also ended up getting this despite my concerns. I'll let you know what I think when I get it
- uses a 'wooden skin' to hide the work

- I never got any indication that the material was anything other than a block of wood. Sure wouldn't like an accidental dent in the wrong location. I hope they're using a hardwood!

[/quote]

I think it very unlikely to receive a dent other than to the corners if anyone accidentally drops it. Of course you will have to look after this, but no more than any other prop.
Looks like some similar concepts and manufacturing techniques may have been borrowed from another recent wooden product of Hanson's called Omamori.
Of course this is pure speculation on my part.
Less than 30 sets left on first batch. He only made 100 initially
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, codydavismagic wrote:
Also ended up getting this despite my concerns. I'll let you know what I think when I get it [/quote]

"Those who are about to buy salute you!" (channeling my inner gladiator)
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Less than 30 sets left on first batch. He only made 100 initially [/quote]

And if those sell out heíll make a hundred more. 😃
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, codydavismagic wrote:
Also ended up getting this despite my concerns. I'll let you know what I think when I get it [/quote]

"Those who are about to buy salute you!" (channeling my inner gladiator) [/quote]

ďAt my signal, unleash HellĒ

My favourite line. Lol.

https://youtu.be/8IPzpaD4UOE
[quote]On Apr 22, 2021, pegasus wrote:

ďAt my signal, unleash HellĒ

My favourite line. Lol.

[/quote]

Not enough likes available for this.
Looks average
From the demo it makes it look like you can show the playing cards in the box. Then immediately put the card through the box. Then when you open box it transforms to brown stained wood. The spectator even says the colors changed and he clearly shows cards in the box. Iím wondering if thatís just clever editing or is there more to the box?

Must be a deck s@&$ch because in description it says it comes with two boxes.

https://youtu.be/-rc1BKUOEsc
I would think it would more likely be the paul harris vanishing deck gimmick, maybe implemented like in Envylope.

From the demo it makes it look like you can show the playing cards in the box. Then immediately put the card through the box. Then when you open box it transforms to brown stained wood. The spectator even says the colors changed and he clearly shows cards in the box. Iím wondering if thatís just clever editing or is there more to the box?

Must be a deck s@&$ch because in description it says it comes with two boxes.

https://youtu.be/-rc1BKUOEsc [/quote]
If you watch the official trailer he does magic WITHOUT the deck box. At 2:30 on the counter he with what looks like a deck of cards in his hand. Then he passes his hands over the cards then they become a block of wood. Then another hand pass and they become a deck of cards.

At 2:07 he shows an empty card box with slits cut out. He takes a joker and pushes it through the card box. Then it appears that the block of wood is taken out of the once empty card box.

Iím still not sure if this is just clever editing or something more.
It seems to be more than the matchbox trick or industrial revelation

https://youtu.be/ByoSRwSrkh0
Looks like thereís a Paul Harris vanishing deck gimmick on the second joker he pulls out and then puts it away before going back to first joker and having spec push it through. I like that handling, thatís a nice touch.
I wonder if that gimmick is included or they just tell you how to make it.

Any prior use of an actual deck, if so desired, would necessitate a deck switch.
This looks great, waited too long on Industrial Revelation and missed out. Ordered this one.
No Brainer, order in, love IR and all the others but really like the idea of the weight difference of this.

NM
I hope this is anywhere as good as IR, I ordered one. I'd hate to miss out if they don't make too many of these in the future AND it works well.
Love the oroginal matchbox and IR also Plasma, I find penetration effects so magical . What really fascinates me with Holy Wood is the premise of cards returning to their original state, what a great idea ! Ordering was a no brainer.
This looks so good.
Being a carpenter the engineering of this fascinates me.
Was holding out for Punct by Paul Carnazzo, still out of stock,but I love that the specs can hold this before the reveal, believing its a deck of cards.
With the metal versions it's only when the block is revealed at the end.
Footnote:
Ordered 2 by mistake!!
Long story but sorted now and just the one on the way.
Iím not giving a full review on Holy Wood because Iím still waiting for the physical product but I have watched the full video instructions.

Hansen Chien has really thought this out really well. He has given a very complete list of credits to where some of good ideas have come from in the creation of Holy Wood.

Vanishing Deck by Paul Harris (1973)
Matchbox Penetration by†Jose Llacer†(1995)
A Case of Penetration†by†Bob Solari††(1995)
Deck illusion by†Shigeru Sugawara†(2011)
Industrial Revelation†by†Jamie Grant††(2011)
Metal Phone by†Calen Morelli & Jo„o Miranda†(2020)
Punct by†Paul Carnazzo†(2021)
Plasma by†Nicholas Lawrence†(2021)

I think the main thing that Hansen brings new to the table is he has turned a surprise ending type trick into a really nice routine with a logical purpose. It makes sense to turn a deck of cards into wood plus itís going to make it much easier to carry around than a heavy block of metal. I like how he incorporates the PH vanishing deck to give the magic credibility. You can easily add this to your ambitious card routines.

There is a small amount of arts and crafts since deck boxes are shipped flat and a construction of the playing card gimmick.

He does address the fact itís wood and the ways youíll need to take care of it so it lasts a long time. Cool dry place, away from water and storage ideas.

Everything on the trailer is covered in the video including the empty card box that has a block of wood in it at the end. The only section from the trailer that is not fully explained is the part where he uses sight of hand to transform the deck of cards without a deck box to a wooden block then back to a deck of cards.

On official trailer itís 2:32-2:37. This is clearly slight of hand that doesnít have a breakdown explanation but if you already a card expert you could figure it out. Other than that everything is explained in detail. The video is professionally produced. Itís a 45 minute explanation video

The entire video is Chinese so you will need to turn on subtitles but he explains how to do that. Reading the subtitles doesnít interfere with the learning process. Everything was explained and was easy to understand.

Overall Iím very happy I purchased Holy Wood. I think $99.99 is a fair price considering the precision the gimmick is made. Iím looking forward to use it in my walk around and zoom shows.
Funnyclown how did you see the workings ? Did you receive a download? I also purchased this and itís on its way but I donít see any downloads? But sounds like all be happy.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2021, MR Effecto wrote:
Funnyclown how did you see the workings ? Did you receive a download? I also purchased this and itís on its way but I donít see any downloads? But sounds like all be happy. [/quote]

Yes, I purchased this on day one then I sent an email to Hansen Chien requesting the video link and he sent me the download link.

The product has shipped and on its way.

He explains the inner workings and how to separate it. It seems to be very examinable because the secret to separate the gimmick has very specific way to hold it. Almost like a puzzle box which makes it a work of art. Although it must be used with care. It cannot be opened too wide or you will damage the gimmick.
Less than 30 sets left on first batch. He only made 100 initially [/quote]

Ordered mine yesterday--today it says there are 8 left of the first 100 made. It does also say these will be a limited item and not mass produced. I wonder how many batches they will make up...
Wait, Iím confused. This thread is now on page 3 and weíve havenít seen the usual ďItís overpriced rubbish, Iím outĒ post from pegasus yet. 😃
Did I slip over into an alternate universe?

Ah, c'mon peg, you know I love ya!
Thank you funnyclown.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2021, videoman wrote:
Wait, Iím confused. This thread is now on page 3 and weíve havenít seen the usual ďItís overpriced rubbish, Iím outĒ post from pegasus yet. 😃
Did I slip over into an alternate universe?

Ah, c'mon peg, you know I love ya! [/quote]

Iím leaving that until the reviews start coming in. :rotf: :rotf:
No, I have a good feeling about this product, and itís not ridiculously priced either.
I I also believe that the price for this is right on.
Ordered on Wednesday evening and just had a tracking email this morning.
Expected Monday!!!
That's very impressive if it pans out.
Coming from Taiwan was expecting at least 2 weeks.
I am unhappy that I felt compelled to purchase this, but I think it finally solves the problems all the other versions had.

I look forward to getting this.

Now I have to go sell something.
Holy Wood is now sold out!
[quote]On Apr 24, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Holy Wood is now sold out! [/quote]

I wonder how many runs they will do? I imagine the process to make these is quite intensive, at least from the videos they have on their website. I thought it was interesting that they show the inner blueprint in one of the videos. I am thinking I shouldn't have done the First Class shipment and paid a little more for another service...just to have it not spend too much time in transit.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2021, rbromley wrote:

I wonder how many runs they will do? I imagine the process to make these is quite intensive, at least from the videos they have on their website. I thought it was interesting that they show the inner blueprint in one of the videos. I am thinking I shouldn't have done the First Class shipment and paid a little more for another service...just to have it not spend too much time in transit. [/quote]

I asked them that exact question about upgrading shipping speed. I also was willing to pay extra for a faster service. But they said they only have 1st class with a tracking number.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2021, rbromley wrote:

I wonder how many runs they will do? I imagine the process to make these is quite intensive, at least from the videos they have on their website. I thought it was interesting that they show the inner blueprint in one of the videos. I am thinking I shouldn't have done the First Class shipment and paid a little more for another service...just to have it not spend too much time in transit. [/quote]

I asked them that exact question about upgrading shipping speed. I also was willing to pay extra for a faster service. But they said they only have 1st class with a tracking number. [/quote]

Interesting, I had 3 options when paying, one was about $35 for the fastest service and about $14 for First Class. At least there will be tracking when it ships. Thanks for the info.
Tracking is very important and also a verifiable signature upon receiving too, just in case it never turns up.
[quote]On Apr 25, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Tracking is very important and also a verifiable signature upon receiving too, just in case it never turns up. [/quote]

It ships thru UPS.
I downloaded the UPS app and knowing I won't be home,changed delivery to a local access point, my local newsagent.
Still can't believe it's saying due tomorrow between 11am and 4pm when I only ordered on Wednesday, we shall see.
Have waited far longer for things ordered from the UK!!!!
[quote]On Apr 25, 2021, geggy wrote:
[quote]On Apr 25, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Tracking is very important and also a verifiable signature upon receiving too, just in case it never turns up. [/quote]

It ships thru UPS.
I downloaded the UPS app and knowing I won't be home,changed delivery to a local access point, my local newsagent.
Still can't believe it's saying due tomorrow between 11am and 4pm when I only ordered on Wednesday, we shall see.
Have waited far longer for things ordered from the UK!!!! [/quote]

Now that is incredible. You wanna hope your newsagent isnít a magician.
Now that is incredible. You wanna hope your newsagent isnít a magician. [/quote]

Ha ha..if he is, not a worry.
As long as he is an honest one.
I've just received mine and am very pleased. I'm tempted to buy a second, bar for the shipping. The opposite grain at the ends really sells it, and I do prefer it over industrial revolution.
[quote]On Apr 24, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
I am unhappy that I felt compelled to purchase this, but I think it finally solves the problems all the other versions had.

Now I have to go sell something. [/quote]

I hope you and your family are well. May I ask what problems did you have with other versions and how did this wood version solve those problems?
I did not get this wood version due to concerns that since it is made from wood, it can chip and/or warp and taht with repeated use any joints would become loose and less secure and that a seam will more likely appear than with steel versions.

Best regards,
Micahel
[quote]On Apr 26, 2021, Kobra wrote:
I've just received mine and am very pleased. I'm tempted to buy a second, bar for the shipping. The opposite grain at the ends really sells it, and I do prefer it over industrial revolution. [/quote]
This is awesome to hear I canít wait till I receive mine.
I've got various metal versions, card sized and matchbook sized. Big fan of the recent punct but the setup can be difficult. And Metalphone is brilliant for its locking. My IR rusted but works well, and was my go to.

I like this because you can't see the seem, looks deceptive, the weight matches a deck of cards, feels and sounds like wood etc. Let's see how it fairs over time though - well looked after, I think it will last.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2021, magicinsight wrote:
[quote]On Apr 24, 2021, Kaliix wrote:

Now I have to go sell something. [/quote]

I hope you and your family are well. May I ask what problems did you have with other versions and how did this wood version solve those problems?
I did not get this wood version due to concerns that since it is made from wood, it can chip and/or warp and taht with repeated use any joints would become loose and less secure and that a seam will more likely appear than with steel versions.

Best regards,
Micahel [/quote]

I haven't received mine yet, but I got the impression from this video that the block is only wood on the outside and some other material inside. I may be understanding it wrong, but that is my guess after watching them talk in detail about the production of the block.

https://youtu.be/EBO31UEMNMM
I saw on FB that they are going to release an ungimmick version that you can give out to people as a souvenir. Gotta start saving $$ for this trick.
Itís pretty much a block of wood. It does have some other materials in it. But itís a block of wood. I know this because Iíve watched the instructional video. It will require care and just like the metal versions or any version you donít want to drop it. It will require you to treat it like wood.

Keep it away from humidity and water.
Try not to drop it
Store it in a cool dry place
But if it gets a light scratch it comes with some light sand paper that you can gently use.
It will require care

Itís like a puzzle box or work of art.

It can last a lifetime with care. Like anything - basic rules of thumb if you think your audience is a bunch of drunks at a bar or will treat your props rough - Donít do this one.

Even the IR will get scratched up if you drop it. This is wood and needs to be treated like a block of wood because 90% of it is hard wood from Taiwan.

It does solve the problems of the other versions. Itís light in the pockets. Is the weight of a deck of cards and it makes more sense to turn a deck of paper cards into a block of wood. It also uses the PH vanish so is extra magical rather than just a puzzle trick
[quote]On Apr 26, 2021, Magic KL wrote:
I saw on FB that they are going to release an ungimmick version that you can give out to people as a souvenir. Gotta start saving $$ for this trick. [/quote]

That's an interesting idea to hand them out to a very specific audience when desired to leave a lasting impression. Thanks for the information, I don't use Facebook and would have missed that news.
I don't have PH vanish, so I am wondering if this comes with the necessary gimmick?
I saw on FB that they are going to release an ungimmick version that you can give out to people as a souvenir. Gotta start saving $$ for this trick. [/quote]

I havenít seen anything about giving a block of wood away. This already is examinable. It just canít be dropped or treated rough. It makes no sense to give this one away. This is not Rubikís cube in jar. This is not meant to be a give away trick. But it is examinable and your audience will not be able to figure it out.

You wouldnít do a card trick with a deck of cards then give your card away to your audience after you do a card trick. Iím pretty sure they will not be selling ungimmicked versions of this trick. There is no need to do so.
I love that idea of being able to give it away. I was wondering if I could find matching wood locally and make my own blocks, but if they supply them cheaply that would be great.
Why wouldnít you hand it out of itís just a block of wood?

Even more than giving it away I love the idea that you convey that you have a long length at home and just cut it off into pieces. Perfect for me as most who know me know I do woodworking.
I don't have PH vanish, so I am wondering if this comes with the necessary gimmick? [/quote]

They teach you how to make it with a bit of arts and crafts. It comes with part of the gimmick. You supply the playing card. It can be made from any playing card.
I also think that giving it away is a good idea. If you can have your contact number there, it's a very unique business card.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
I don't have PH vanish, so I am wondering if this comes with the necessary gimmick? [/quote]

They teach you how to make it with a bit of arts and crafts. It comes with part of the gimmick. You supply the playing card. It can be made from any playing card. [/quote]

Thanks!
If they do indeed sell ungimmicked versions and you s****h this for the gimmicked one, it helps to solidify the idea that what they saw really happened and the block of wood they keep at home will remind them of this.
I also think that giving it away is a good idea. If you can have your contact number there, it's a very unique business card. [/quote]

Where exactly did you see this on FB? itís not on their page or anywhere of their website. I donít see that being offered anywhere on Facebook. It would be a very expensive business card for sure.
Paid advertising, when done correctly, can go a long way. I have no idea if these handouts will be available for purchase, but they could be worth it, if so.
Sorry, I can't find it now. They showed a performance done by Lu Chen, and he gave away the block of wood with his autograph. The caption was something like "We wouldn't want you to give away expensive souvenirs, so we are going to release ungimmick version in the future."

It could be great business cards for those big bosses. If Hanson sells them like what Henry Harrius charges for his examinable cube in bottle, it's not that bad.
Iím sure if you really wanted to give this away you could go to a lumber yard and have wood cut to the same dimensions and then stain it the same color. To make a give away block. I donít think Iíll be doing that. I have cube in bottle as my give away trick.
Just literally opened mine.
Beautiful box it comes in and I gotta say it looks superb quality.
Totally seemless.
Very impressed.
Not going to tug or pull until I have absorbed the instructions.
For those interested,
I am in the UK and paid $36 for the SF express delivery and its taken 5 days!!!
Recently ordered from the UK and waited 9 days!!
Also, first impression is how innocent this looks.
It's just a block of wood.
Amazing.
Thanks! That is good to know. Please let us know if it is easy to do the move with this. My matchbox version is not easy.
Thanks! That is good to know. Please let us know if it is easy to do the move with this. My matchbox version is not easy. [/quote]

That's the next bit to discover..."the move "
When I ordered I believe they offered 3 shipping options...standard, express delivery, and SF express. The price was higher as you went up the ladder but it gave no approximate shipping times so I have no idea the difference between the 2 express deliveries. I decided to choose the middle one.

Anyone know anything about the different options when shipping to US?

I did receive a shipping notice this morning.
I ordered mine First Class for $11 or so shipping on Wednesday or Thursday last week. I have not received shipping information yet, probably because of me choosing the lowest tier for shipping.
It does seem funny if they do offer duplicates to give away. I don't think it would be a very impressive giveaway for the reason that has been reiterated over and over; it's a block of wood. By itself, it's nothing magical and certainly not something that would attract attention sitting on a shelf or desk. It would likely end up in the trash after a bit. It's not the same as an impossible object like a Rubik's cube in a jar.
I would hope to not hear the story of someone giving out the wrong block of wood after a performance...
Iím pretty sure Magic KL was mistaken. He said he couldnít find the link where he saw it. Giving away a block of wood makes no sense. It would be a terrible give away. This trick is amazing and Iím excited to start using it. I just donít think there is a need to give a block of wood away.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Iím pretty sure Magic KL was mistaken. He said he couldnít find the link where he saw it. Giving away a block of wood makes no sense. It would be a terrible give away. This trick is amazing and Iím excited to start using it. I just donít think there is a need to give a block of wood away. [/quote]

Agree,
If these are available, I won't indulge.
At the most just give the dupe out for inspection, but to give it away seems silly Imo.
It's only an art piece to us cos we know how ingenious it is.
Sold out :(
Have to agree. You wooden (see what I did there) wanna to give a block of wood out as a souvenir.
AFA giving the block away, I think some people are confusing it with an impossible object. It wouldnít be the same as giving away a cube in bottle, itís not an impossible object you give as a gift that theyíre going to take home and put on their mantle. Itís more like giving out a signed card. Youíre not so much giving it to them as leaving it with them.

If I performed this for a few friends down at the pub Iíd like to be able to just toss it on the table and leave it there as if it had no significance at all. Itís just a simple piece of wood. The fact that it is so ordinary and unimportant helps sell the illusion. Kind of the opposite of a cube in bottle.
I was not dreaming 😂😂. Go to FB, and do a search for Hanson Chien Production Co. Check out their second video. I used Google Translate, and this is what it says. Not the best translation, but you get what it means.

[Manufactured by Jianzi] Holy Wood​
The time to witness the miracle has arrived!
Teacher Liu Qian meets Zhao Lei for the first time
Gave a super gift out
I didn't care about the cost at all 😂

Donít be too nervous when you see here
We won't let you get through with your purse
Jianzi Manufacturing will launch in the future
[Normal wood that can be sent out after exchange]
Let you give it to the audience and leave an eternal memorial

Now letís get familiar with the use of props!
🛒Purchase link: https://reurl.cc/g8jpaV
[quote]On Apr 27, 2021, videoman wrote:
AFA giving the block away, I think some people are confusing it with an impossible object. It wouldnít be the same as giving away a cube in bottle, itís not an impossible object you give as a gift that theyíre going to take home and put on their mantle. Itís more like giving out a signed card. Youíre not so much giving it to them as leaving it with them.

If I performed this for a few friends down at the pub Iíd like to be able to just toss it on the table and leave it there as if it had no significance at all. Itís just a simple piece of wood. The fact that it is so ordinary and unimportant helps sell the illusion. Kind of the opposite of a cube in bottle. [/quote]

Yes thatís a very valid point.
What sucks, Pegasus, is that I've come to unconsciously pay attention to what you like, because you're scarce with your endorsements, and when you like something, you really do. You just might cost me more money again. 😆 (And I already wanted this...)
[quote]On Apr 27, 2021, videoman wrote:

If I performed this for a few friends down at the pub Iíd like to be able to just toss it on the table and leave it there as if it had no significance at all. Itís just a simple piece of wood. The fact that it is so ordinary and unimportant helps sell the illusion. Kind of the opposite of a cube in bottle. [/quote]

That's what I was trying to emphasize earlier, that by leaving the wood that the card/solid object supposedly went through with the spectator it shows that the wood was not important to the effect at all.

Obviously it's not for everyone, but if it ends up only costing you $10 or something to leave it with a large group and they will talk about it for a few days or even once in awhile, why not? I'd be very selective of my group to leave it with and don't have to do this every performance. Perhaps there is a spectator that just really seemed blown away by the effects you showed them...
Totally agree with videoman and rbromley. It's not a souvenir that I give away, because it's a magical. It's more like "I made a toothpick appeared, and, here, you can have it". Of course, I won't give it away to ANYONE. Only the big bosses. Also, this is like a business card if I put my contact info there.

It is not something that you have to buy, but I am happy that they are going to offer this option.
For myself, I like provers and what better way to show that the wood is ordinary than to leave it with someone. I would just keep the handout in a matching card box in my pocket. After I show someone Holy Wood and return it to my pocket, I would gauge their level of excitement and IF I decide I want them to have the souvenir pull out the handout and remove it from the box. I would say something along the lines of, "I really enjoyed showing you that and want you to take this with you." And sign it or whatever the moment calls for. Just blow it off like the wood means nothing to you.

I wouldn't do this every time or all that often, but when I want the effect to hit big, perhaps when it's just a one-off or I have done some other effects that were unbelievable.

We'll see if they eventually offer up ordinary slabs in the future...
When Iím done performing a routine with Anverdi dice I always nonchalantly switch them out. I almost never offer the dice to the spec but every once in a while I run across someone who will ask if they can keep them. Not because they are in need of dice but itís a way of politely challenging me. What they are really asking is if there is anything special about the dice. I tell them absolutely, keep them, itís my little gift to you, I have loads them at home. Then they always hand them back and say no, thatís okay. They were just testing me to see if Iíd let them.

Since they never end up keeping them I often wonder if Iíd be brave enough to offer them to them if they were actually the real Anverdi dice. I worry if I did that Iíd get the one in a thousand who would actually keep them, and then Iíd sheepishly have to ask for them back.

I think the same thing could happen with the wooden block and I would much rather just be able to just say sure keep it, Iíll even autograph it if you like. Of course Iíd only say that tongue in cheek to someone I know.

Of course most times they arenít really going to want a piece of wood. I just want to able to genuinely not care if they do actually keep it.
Yes itís true. They are planning to release a ordinary block of wood that can be given as a gift. Apologies for doubting Magic KL. I still think itís a weird give away. But the trick is top notch.
This was copied second video on Facebook page using Google translate

Holy Wood
The moment of witnessing miracles has come!
Mr. Liu Qian and Mr. Wu Xiang first meeting
I gave you a super gift.
Not at all about the cost ah 😂

Don't be too nervous when you see this place.
We won't let you go through the pack.
Jane's manufacturing will be launched in the
[Normal wood that can be swapped and sent out]
For you to send to the audience and leave an eternal memorial

Get familiar with props now!
🛒 Buy the link: https://reurl.cc/g8jpaV
------------------------------------
[second Taiwan line magic competition omg
🔥 sign up right away: m.me/hansonchienproduction
🗝 Clears secret words :" omg let me omg ′′
No worries, Mike.

Totally agreed with videoman, but don't offer them the real dice even if it's 1/100000000 chance. There is still that 1 person who might take them away. It wouldn't look cool begging them after. Haha.
Videoman: Exactly! There is always that person that says, "Can I see that?" after you show them an effect. Nothing worse than having to say no or change the subject. This is there as a handout. IF they follow through and keep it, who knows...
Bill if its 1/1000 times whatís the problem let them keep the die. Itís £300 minimum a gig, so Iím sure with £300000 in the bank itís paid for itself many many times over me thinks Gaz 😉
Unfortunately Iím not a working pro charging the big bucks like you Gaz. So I canít afford to just toss away $300 like that. But since you have enough money to last 10 lifetimes if youíll replace them for me Iíll do it.

Magicians helping magicians, right my friend? 😃
What the heck would a person do with a brick of wood? Theyíd throw it away. Donít they sell these kinds of blocks to stick in drawers for freshness or like mothballs. Iíd be embarrassed to give this away. Remember Charlie Brown Halloween special when he got a rock? What now? ďI got a deck in a bottle!Ē ďI got a a Rubikís cube in a bottle!Ē ďI got a block of wood. Good grief ď. 😂
[quote]On Apr 27, 2021, MagicBrent wrote:
What the heck would a person do with a brick of wood? Theyíd throw it away. Donít they sell these kinds of blocks to stick in drawers for freshness or like mothballs. Iíd be embarrassed to give this away. Remember Charlie Brown Halloween special when he got a rock? What now? ďI got a deck in a bottle!Ē ďI got a a Rubikís cube in a bottle!Ē ďI got a block of wood. Good grief ď. 😂 [/quote]

Yeah, I basically agree with you, and that's exactly what this discussion has been about. But either you didnít bother to read any of the previous posts or your reading comprehension is extremely poor. Or maybe youíre just cranky today and need a nap.

But I do appreciate your reference to a 50 year old Charlie Brown show. One of my personal favorites.
Have now watched the tutorial.
I have a feeling everyone is going to love this.
The craftsmanship is superb.
The routining I love compared to I.R or the matchbox penetrations where you do the penetrations because of the weight. With Holywood you have the spec put the card thru the card case, which is so cool, compared to the metal block versions, this really adds to the final reveal.
The little gimmick you make is very clever, AND easy to make.
Lots of subtleties and variations on performance are explained.
Very very nice.
Thank you Mr Hanson for this amazing piece.

Regards the dupe block, I'm now seeing the merit in having a dupe set up, so if asked I could casually give it out for full inspection. So yes I will get one now.
But def wouldn't suggest they keep it.
Just take it back when it's finished being tugged and pulled ready for next time.
Also not simple to open and easy to close, which is perfect.

Gerry
Sounds like you are pleased with it geggy. I watched the tutorial this evening as well, it was very well made and detailed.
Have you attempted to set your Holy Wood to performance ready? I am wondering how the tension is when setting it, he made it sound very fragile i.e opening too far.

It is nice that they included 3 vanishing deck gimmicks along with the 2 pre-slit boxes.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Sounds like you are pleased with it geggy. I watched the tutorial this evening as well, it was very well made and detailed.
Have you attempted to set your Holy Wood to performance ready? I am wondering how the tension is when setting it, he made it sound very fragile i.e opening too far.

It is nice that they included 3 vanishing deck gimmicks along with the 2 pre-slit boxes. [/quote]

Yes, just follow how he explains.
I was nervous to, but its well made..you see him open it a long way in the tutorial, but as he says, this should not be done as could cause damage..
In other words don't use it for a finger penetration..he he..enjoy.
Sounds like itís on some kind of elastic? Gaz 😊
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Sounds like itís on some kind of elastic? Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Hi Gaz,
Noooooo,
It's far more advanced than that...
Very sturdy.
Very pleased with the craftmanship, also very nice and unique presentation ideas.
Sounds great thanks for the info Gerry, regards Gaz 😊
Nice that they were include the 3 vanishing deck gimmicks as well!
RNK--they also throw in some sandpaper for aesthetic maintenance, haha

Gaz--I apologize, I didn't mean to make it sound like it is THAT fragile. If you watch the tutorial you will see why I asked about the process to set-up the device for each performance, Hanson goes in to detail about not going too far and trying to he precise about the size you set it to and why not to got too far.
Still waiting for mine.
I saw an update on the website for sales:

"PRE-ORDERS OPEN NOW.
Next batch: 50 UNITS.
Estimated shipping: MID-MAY 2021."
I also noticed a link at the top of the tutorial page that says "Please click here to DOWNLOAD the material." This link takes you to two different files that are set up for you to print your own vanishing deck gimmick. They provide 3 inside the box when you purchase, but they include two files, .ai and .pdf that allow you to print many of these gimmicks for use with this item.

As far as doing my own routine rather than the one they suggest, it would go something like this:

First, I would talk to the spectator about luck and if they consider themselves lucky or not. I would explain that my luck hasn't been so great with something I have been trying for years. Then I would see if they wanted to try an experiment with me. I would pull out the deck box with the slit in it and show it to them. Then go in to...

"Atoms are the tiniest known thing in our universe. Molecules are made up of atoms that have bonded together. Everything we see from gas, liquid and solid objects are made up of atoms and molecules. This deck of cards is made of paper, as you know, and paper comes from wood, just like that tree over there (or any other wooden object that may be near you, the table you are at or chair etc.). That tree is made up of molecules. Molecules are always moving. Some scientists believe in a theory that if you were to touch two solid objects together repeatedly, eventually the molecules will line up and allow them to pass through each other. The odds of this happening are astronomically low and it seems pretty much impossible. But, in theory, it CAN happen. I am VERY stubborn, for the past three years I have attempted to push a single playing card through a solid deck of cards for over three hours EVERY day. It has not happened...yet. Let's try our own experiment today and see if you bring me any luck..."

Point to the card box and show the deck inside the card box, then pull out a single card, attempt to pass it through the solid deck, but it won't go through. Have the spectator attempt as well. It doesn't pass through. Then, ask the spectator to sign the card to identify it as theirs and maybe put some of their luck in to the playing card. This helps to show this is the same card passing through when the time comes. While they sign it remove the second card which should also do the deck vanish simultaneously out of sight. Remove this card while they sign it and place it out of sight, as it is gimmicked for the deck vanish. Then ask the spectator to take their signed card and to attempt to push it through the deck and box. This time it happens with some resistance, but it passes through slowly. Make sure to go slow enough that they stop half-way and can see the card coming out of both sides of the box. After the pass the card completely through I take their card and attempt this, but it doesn't happen. It only happened for the spectator. You explain how crazy it must be that the molecules happened to line up for the spectator in that once in a lifetime moment and whatever other patter I want to add to make the moment seem rather amazing. Then hand them the deck box, which has been in view and used the entire time and ask them to remove the deck and inspect the cards. They find a solid block of wood, much like the solid objects I mentioned prior to the card passing through the deck. I then would act surprised myself and say something about how the deck being paper must have solidified from the molecular reaction of the card passing through it and gone back to it's original state. Or something to that effect. Maybe they will make a version that looks like a bicycle deck that is solidified as wood, haha....just kidding.

Obviously I will be talking and saying other things while the above happens, this is just an example and not verbatim.
Confirmed and coming soon. Ungimmicked Holy Wood for give away or to switch for detailed examination will be available middle of May for the cost of $20 each. Hanson Chien is considering possible discount on multiple blocks purchased but discount is unconfirmed at this time.

(Source of this information). I emailed him and this is what he told me in email.
[quote]On Apr 29, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Confirmed and coming soon. Ungimmicked Holy Wood for give away or to switch for detailed examination will be available middle of May for the cost of $20 each. Hanson Chien is considering possible discount on multiple blocks purchased but discount is unconfirmed at this time.

(Source of this information). I emailed him and this is what he told me in email. [/quote]

Great news, thanks for the heads up,
The rumours were real.
Received mine today! First off the overall quality and presentation is superb. You can tell a lot of work was put into this, from the packaging, to the actual product. You receive the gimmick, two unassembled card boxes with slits, three PH vanishing deck gimmicks, a thank you card, and an extra bit to maintain the gimmick. The gimmick looks fantastic. Even knowing the method I had a hard time finding it. A spectator would have NO chance of finding it. Watch the video before you play with the gimmick, as Hanson covers the proper way to set it. I know some people were concerned that it didn't lock, but trust me there is no need. The process of setting it is tough enough that your spectator wont be able to do it, but simple enough that when you know the secret you can easily reset this in seconds.

Hanson covers two routines; one using the PH gimmick, one without, using a knife. He also covers a few variations, one that focuses on the penetration, one on the transformation, and one on a production.

Finally he covers care and maintenance of the gimmick.

I couldn't be happier with this
Received this price quote today from Hanson Chien, for those that may want to purchase ungimmicked extras:

Price List:
1 / $20
5 / $80
10 / $120
[quote]On Apr 29, 2021, rbromley wrote:
Received this price quote today from Hanson Chien, for those that may want to purchase ungimmicked extras:

Price List:
1 / $20
5 / $80
10 / $120 [/quote]

Thatís great when I spoke to him he was still figuring out the discount prices on multiples
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, rbromley wrote:
I am VERY stubborn, for the past three years I have attempted to push a single playing card through a solid deck of cards for over three hours EVERY day. It has not happened...yet. [/quote]

So youíre basically telling them you have OCD? 😃
Iím afraid telling them every day for 3 hours will push the boundaries of their suspension of disbelief a bit too far.
I think conveying the idea that youíve attempted it many times is enough without any specifics that may make you sound a bit scary.
Hahaha...I guess I meant it in mote detail to be said, "Often, when I am watching a movie or browsing the internet at home, I will have this deck of cards next to me and just tap a card on the deck attempting to pass it through. It hasn't happened yet."
Do we know how long on average this is taking to arrive in the US yet?
Anyone found out any info on the differences between the 3 shipping options?
Ordered mine originally First Class last Thursday. Paid to upgrade to Express on Monday and it is set to arrive Saturday here.
So, my main concern is whether or not warping will eventually take place.

Any thoughts on the above?
[quote]On Apr 29, 2021, Magical Moments wrote:
So, my main concern is whether or not warping will eventually take place.

Any thoughts on the above? [/quote]

Itís made of wood so you canít take it for a swim. But Hanson Chien gives you tips on keeping it away from moisture. Basically if you use common sense it should last a very long time. Standard rule applies keep it in a cool dry place.
Store it in a moisture free environment. Keep it out of direct sunlight. It itís in your car and itís a hot day donít leave it in your car. Basic common sense for anyone that has anything made of wood.

Itís not something you should be worried about as long as you take care of it.
Small update. I was playing around with it, and the gimmick is so good I can shine a bright light behind it and you wont see a thing. I've never had any of the other penetration effects out there that Hanson listed in the credits, so I don't know if they can pass that test as well, but I did find it rather impressive
[quote]On Apr 30, 2021, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Small update. I was playing around with it, and the gimmick is so good I can shine a bright light behind it and you wont see a thing. I've never had any of the other penetration effects out there that Hanson listed in the credits, so I don't know if they can pass that test as well, but I did find it rather impressive [/quote]

thanks for that info. That interested me the most as I have different other versions. Is the wood block kinda solid/heavy or rather light?
[quote]On Apr 30, 2021, SimonTheSorcerer wrote:
[quote]On Apr 30, 2021, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
Small update. I was playing around with it, and the gimmick is so good I can shine a bright light behind it and you wont see a thing. I've never had any of the other penetration effects out there that Hanson listed in the credits, so I don't know if they can pass that test as well, but I did find it rather impressive [/quote]

thanks for that info. That interested me the most as I have different other versions. Is the wood block kinda solid/heavy or rather light? [/quote]

Am assuming a similar or equal weight to that of a deck of cards.
It's slightly lighter than a pack of cards, bit will go unnoticed.
Got mine today. Wow. Fantastic. Looks like a block of wood. Wonít be able too get into the instructions yet but likening this already.
The fact that it's lighter is actually a good thing... Use the ploy/handling in Industrial Revelation/V Deck to make it seem like the deck is going back in time and getting lighter and lighter as it does.
The initial block of wood wood ( :bawl: ) be slightly lighter anyway before itís turned into a deck of plastic coated cards woodnt it?
Just to be clear. Holy Wood is different than all the other similar penetration effects like IR and the matchbox. Holy Wood can be examined by a spectator and they will not be able to find its secret. This is like a wooden puzzle box with a very clever secret way to open and unlock it.
But if you feel you need to also have the ungimmicked block just to be sure. Youíll need to switch it out. But itís not necessary to hide the secret of Holy Wood. It is almost impossible to open if you donít know how. Itís a precision made puzzle box.

I think the ungimmicked wood block would be more useful as a give away item. If your planning to buy the ungimmicked block because your concerned it canít be examined. Then I donít think youíll need it. Holly Wood can definitely be examined as long as your spectator doesnít bang it up or thrown it in water youíll be fine.
[quote]On May 2, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Just to be clear. Holy Wood is different than all the other similar penetration effects like IR and the matchbox. Holy Wood can be examined by a spectator and they will not be able to find its secret. This is like a wooden puzzle box with a very clever secret way to open and unlock it.
But if you feel you need to also have the ungimmicked block just to be sure. Youíll need to switch it out. But itís not necessary to hide the secret of Holy Wood. It is almost impossible to open if you donít know how. Itís a precision made puzzle box.

I think the ungimmicked wood block would be more useful as a give away item. If your planning to buy the ungimmicked block because your concerned it canít be examined. Then I donít think youíll need it. Holly Wood can definitely be examined as long as your spectator doesnít bang it up or thrown it in water youíll be fine. [/quote]

I understand what you're saying, and this sounds safer, but technically IR is made to be examinable too.

I don't think spectators would want to examine it too much anyway, as it's clearly a solid block of wood/steel (IR).
As of 4/29 mine is in transit to L.A.
Here's the best tracking method I've found, if you have tracking number

https://tracktrace.delivery/carriers-couriers/chunghwa-post/rr-tw/8550
[quote]On May 2, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:

https://tracktrace.delivery/carriers-couriers/chunghwa-post/rr-tw/8550 [/quote]

LA? Thatís 400 miles from Pittsburg 🤔🤔
Mine arrived yesterday in Alaska. I used the app they provided 17Track as well as USPS' tracking app. Oddly enough, the USPS tracking app had full details from the time the label was printed, though 17Track had more written details about customs etc.
I ordered the Wednesday before last and it shipped last Monday. I chose one of the express shipping options. It was delivered yesterday or I should say that delivery was attempted yesterday by USPS. But unfortunately it required a signature and the delivery attempt was at 9am, hours earlier than our regular mail delivery time. I was out back working on a landscaping project and my wife was taking a shower. So I discovered the delivery attempt slip stuck on the front door about 20 minutes after the attempted delivery. There was a time on the slip and I had actually been out front about 2 minutes before the attempt...aarrggh. I guess it came via special delivery separate from our normal mail.

I have long hated when sellers require a signature as I ALWAYS manage to miss them and then have to hope they attempt another delivery or track it down for pick up. Anyway, I was bummed to have missed it. With luck it will come on Monday.

One bright side was my CIB was delivered later that afternoon, and fortunately with no signature required or I would have missed that one too!

Dooblehorn, Iíve noticed with these international orders that often the tracking never seems to change and then suddenly it says out for delivery. My CIB tracking said the same thing from day one until yesterday and then boom! there it is at my house. I hadnít checked tracking yesterday so had no idea it was even coming. Plus it is delivered by another carrier I think, Iím not sure who delivered it. I just discovered it sitting at the foot of my driveway. It shipped on April 21 so got here pretty quick, much faster than I expected. But I only ordered the CIB. If you ordered a bunch of extra bottles it may take longer.
You can go on DHL. If thatís the shipping site and request not to sign and just drop off at the door. Thatís what I did.
This is a sweet idea. This looks to be the same concept as Industrial Revolution and others before it. The wood is a nice addition to this concept because natural wood objects are popular now. This also has the advantage of not being as heavy as IR but with the same impact. I'm probably going to pick this up.
[quote]On May 2, 2021, pegasus wrote:
[quote]On May 2, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:

https://tracktrace.delivery/carriers-couriers/chunghwa-post/rr-tw/8550 [/quote]

LA? Thatís 400 miles from Pittsburg 🤔🤔 [/quote]

Pegasus, LOL, I actually live in Pittsburg, California (suburb of San Francisco), not Pittsburgh, PA...
[quote]On May 2, 2021, videoman wrote:
I ordered the ...

Dooblehorn, Iíve noticed with these international orders that often the tracking never seems to change and then suddenly it says out for delivery. My CIB tracking said the same thing from day one until yesterday and then boom! there it is at my house. I hadnít checked tracking yesterday so had no idea it was even coming. Plus it is delivered by another carrier I think, Iím not sure who delivered it. I just discovered it sitting at the foot of my driveway. It shipped on April 21 so got here pretty quick, much faster than I expected. But I only ordered the CIB. If you ordered a bunch of extra bottles it may take longer. [/quote]

Videoman, yes, my experience with int'l shipping as well...I'm also expecting a Shadow wallet and a Blink 2 from UK, and they are supposed to arrive here on Wednesday, but we shall see...I will probably get all 3 things on Wednesday and it will be just like Christmas!
If the wood block is not 100% examinable then I am not sold. The metal block versions have always seemed more impactful to me, metal being so much more impenetrable than wood. What would you rather see... a penetration through wood or a penetration through solid metal?
[quote]On May 2, 2021, oombob wrote:
If the wood block is not 100% examinable then I am not sold. The metal block versions have always seemed more impactful to me, metal being so much more impenetrable than wood. What would you rather see... a penetration through wood or a penetration through solid metal? [/quote]

Depends on what you mean by 100% examinable. Iíve owned IR, Punct, and a couple of other matchbox penetrations and even though I felt completely comfortable allowing those to be examined, Iím not sure I would say they are 100% examinable. It requires some minimal audience management. Although Holy Wood with its puzzle box construction seems like it might be more examinable than most.

Iím not sure metal is more impactful than wood. I see where youíre coming from but that might be more magicians thinking. In any case, Holy Wood has a couple things going for it that other versions donít. The fact that it is about the same weight as a deck of cards means that specs can hold it prior to the reveal and pass the card thru themselves or while in their hands. Then thereís the vanishing deck gimmick used to show it as a deck of cards. Iím not sure you could use it in exactly the same way with IR because I donít think there was enough clearance to allow a card to pass thru without folding it or something.

Iím certainly not taking anything away from IR though. It is an amazing effect with a gorgeous prop. I wish they were still being made.
[quote]On May 3, 2021, oombob wrote:
If the wood block is not 100% examinable then I am not sold. The metal block versions have always seemed more impactful to me, metal being so much more impenetrable than wood. What would you rather see... a penetration through wood or a penetration through solid metal? [/quote]

Wood.

I own Holy Wood and IR. Without a doubt Holy Wood is much more examinable. Anyone that owns both would agree.

I wouldnít say it 100% impossible to open because if it was it would just be a block of wood. But itís very difficult to find its secrets

Definitely, metal. For me.

But every magician and every spectator views things in their own way. As long as the trick does what it is supposed to do, the magician should choose the version he or she relishes doing.

Haha, "relishes"! Oh, well...
I also feel that metal gimmick is more impactful, but one advantage I can see of the wood gimmick over the metal counterparts is that its light weight makes it way more suitable for strolling. The metal gimmicks are quite heavy and not something Iíd want to carry around with me in a pocket or hanging from my belt.
Exactly that. Who on earth walks around with IR on them? It would be utter madness to do so.

Letís consider you have both. Now I wonder which one youíre going to choose to take with you, based on weight alone, plus the added kickers with the wooden device. Itís a no brainer. The IR would become a redundant door-stop, or remain most probable.
Personally, I think metal leads me more down the path of machining and mechanical elements. A block of Wood is natural and not something you would associate with moving parts.
[quote]On May 3, 2021, APC wrote:
Personally, I think metal leads me more down the path of machining and mechanical elements. A block of Wood is natural and not something you would associate with moving parts. [/quote]

That was my logic as well but as I said before, either way of thinking may be more magicians thinking.

Dumping out that chunk of steel with its resounding THUD! was definitely a shocker and made IR fun to perform. But this has merits too and I think may produce an equally shocking moment but in a different way. Which one is better is totally subjective.

The true test is whether this withstands the test of time. I guess the results will come in a few years when this is likely no longer available and if there is still a high demand for it on the secondary market like there is with IR.
Well after using the brass matchbox penetration model, I think either would be shocking to the specs. I don't think wood would garner any additional reactions as opposed to the metal.
Received mine yesterday. I think it is a very well produced version of this effect. Probably the most examinable out of all that I have owned and used. Mine is super difficult to open!!! I believe they work in and loosen up a bit with use. At least I hope so because right now it takes me several minutes of struggling, to the point that I experience physical pain. Hanson resets his in one second so he probably has the knack down better plus his is looser from many uses. It does everything exactly how they claim and is beautifully made. No real complaints but at the same time there are a couple downsides IMO.

The cons, at least to me:
At first I was a little bit disappointed in the wooden block. To anyone experienced in woodworking it will be readily apparent that it isnít simply a block of wood. I donít know how much of a trained eye is required but when seeing it in person it was IMMEDIATELY apparent to me that it was a wood veneer laminated over something. Itís a bit like an impossible object from the standpoint that it is impossible for a wooden block to look that way in nature. If someone were to notice that it would still likely fool them in the sense that they wouldnít know how it was done, but they would almost certainly think of it more like a puzzle box of some kind. They may not know how to open it but they would know that it was man-made and had been ďfabricatedĒ, so that would likely cause them to be much less amazed by it. But it would also probably intrigue them quite a bit.

Also, a large part of fine woodworking involves hiding your joinery, IOW making a joint appear invisible. So this really isnít an amazing or unusual thing to a woodworker. Now having said all that I suspect youíre not going to be encountering a ton of woodworkers in your spectators. But donít get the idea that this would be a perfect effect to do if you get booked at some woodworkers trade show. Although they might enjoy and appreciate the construction of it so maybe it would be a good effect after all. Just donít expect to see jaws hitting the floor.

The other possible downside is that it is apparently pretty fragile. I believe they have you open it the way they do in order to reduce the chance that youíll open it too far and break it. But a spectator wonít know to do that and could conceivably put their might into it and end up holding 2 pieces of your block. This would not only reveal the secret but also leave you with an usable prop. At least with IR, they would know the secret but the prop would not be damaged. The other advantage with IR is that you or a spectator could drop it on a hard surface and it almost certainly would not damage it. But Iíd hate to see this block dropped on a hard surface, itís hard to imagine it surviving. A badly dinged corner would probably mean itís days are over. But there are many props that require you to handle them carefully so I donít see this as a huge downside.

So that being said, all in all, I like it. I really like the ďback in timeĒ premise of paper returning to itís original form. You do need to use some audience management if they start to really pull on it. But in my experience that is very unlikely as most people just give it a cursory tug and let it go at that.

Be curious what others think as it gets into the hands of more people.
^Appreciate the insights.

I'm a bit torn as I have IR but it sits on my mantle with a knife through it as an object of curiosity mostly. This could get a bunch more use. Throw it in my bag or pocket ready to go.

You definitely made some good points to consider.
I don't quite remember the reasoning for making the side grain run opposite of the main grain, but it just doesn't look right for sure. They talked about it in the video at one point.
Mine has some issues that I am sorting out with the people at Hanson's shop. It is extremely light, that is it's main advantage. I will have more opinions once I am able to resolve my issues and use it some.
I'm definitely clumsy and drop everything I own at least once, lol. So thanks for the review Videoman!
I think, the fact there is not an end grain on the block strengthens the effect cos it is harder to imagine how it could open with the straight grain on the ends as well.
Not something that concerns me and will go unnoticed imo.
Youíre right Gerry but itís does make it obvious itís a veneered fabricated block. My main trade is carpentry so I would spot it a mile off.
I get your reasoning for feeling it strengthens it as how can it separate with opposing grain but then again it also weakens it as itís obviously man made. If the grain running the correct way all the way through makes a spectator think it can be separated then it canít look that genuine as a block of would from the get go in my opinion. Thatís just based on comments on here. What they really want is a solid gold bar with no visible lines in it then we will have a miracle Gaz 😊
Hi everyone,

after a long time I am back with a review of Holy Wood by Hanson Chien.

Hope it helps :)

[youtube]2nPAbyEwm2A[/youtube]
[quote]On May 4, 2021, rbromley wrote:
I don't quite remember the reasoning for making the side grain run opposite of the main grain, but it just doesn't look right for sure. They talked about it in the video at one point.
[/quote]

I'd be curious as to why this is the case. There was no way they could have had the grain running in the same direction? Maybe it would have been too difficult to have the grains match in all directions?

It's a pity since they are selling this on the premise that it's an organic, earthy, natural looking piece of wood. And this detail definitely detracts. I guess time will tell if it's a noticeable thing or not. However, since this is apparently more examinable than other effects like it...it's even more of a shame as in my opinion, it makes it more likely that it would be noticed.

I may just stick with IR.
Kaan says it just a block of wood but thatís not true itís in fact a veneered covered block so itís not a solid block of the same wood right through Gaz 😊
Thanks for the review, Kaan. Good to see you again!
[quote]On May 4, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Kaan says it just a block of wood but thatís not true itís in fact a veneered covered block so itís not a solid block of the same wood right through Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Yes, but I believe Kaan genuinely believed it to be a block of wood as I think most people would. I hope most would anyway. I guess we will know as people start performing it in the real world.
I donít think so to be fair as it would be a lot heavier if it was for a start Gaz 😊
It definitely looks like a block of wood. Unless you play with wood all day. Lol. Nobody going to know a thing.
Highly recommended
[quote]On May 3, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Exactly that. Who on earth walks around with IR on them? It would be utter madness to do so.

Letís consider you have both. Now I wonder which one youíre going to choose to take with you, based on weight alone, plus the added kickers with the wooden device. Itís a no brainer. The IR would become a redundant door-stop, or remain most probable. [/quote]

You are choosing personal convenience and practicality over stronger magic. I get that. I prefer stronger magic.
Hi Gaz,a fellow carpenter like myself...yay.
I also noticed the anomaly but still maintain we are over thinking this.
If there were end grain, yes it would be 100% authentic but the slightest bend would surely expose a hairline opening.
As for spec realising it's a veneer block, well the veneer is real wood.
Also let's be honest, when you have seen this and you marvel at it for a few seconds any spec who gives it some afterthought will conclude it opened somehow to achieve the penetration.
Same with metal versions.
It's just a moment of impossibility to enjoy.
And of course there is the dummy block to switch out if you wish.
Overall I am still very impressed with the finish and quality and the long grain where the ' magic' happens is perfectly seemless.
[quote]On May 5, 2021, oombob wrote:

Letís consider you have both. Now I wonder which one youíre going to choose to take with you, based on weight alone, plus the added kickers with the wooden device. Itís a no brainer. The IR would become a redundant door-stop, or remain most probable. [/quote]

You are choosing personal convenience and practicality over stronger magic. I get that. I prefer stronger magic. [/quote]

But how is IR stronger? Whereís your logic?
Iíve been chasing an Industrial Revelation for a while because I think the effect is just so beautiful; but honestly, I love the aesthetic of this more. Not only do I love woodgrain looks (my laptop skin, phone case, and water bottle are all made of wood) but I also like this idea of this being a lighter weight prop than something like Industrial Revelation, while still providing what I believe is an equally strong and impossible effect.

My order is in for the next batch and I canít wait.
[quote]On May 4, 2021, geggy wrote:
Hi Gaz,a fellow carpenter like myself...yay.
I also noticed the anomaly but still maintain we are over thinking this.
If there were end grain, yes it would be 100% authentic but the slightest bend would surely expose a hairline opening.
As for spec realising it's a veneer block, well the veneer is real wood.
Also let's be honest, when you have seen this and you marvel at it for a few seconds any spec who gives it some afterthought will conclude it opened somehow to achieve the penetration.
Same with metal versions.
It's just a moment of impossibility to enjoy.
And of course there is the dummy block to switch out if you wish.
Overall I am still very impressed with the finish and quality and the long grain where the ' magic' happens is perfectly seemless. [/quote]

Upon looking back at this a day later with fresh eyes and attitude, I find myself less concerned about the wood grain discrepancy than I was initially. I tend to agree with those who have said that the majority of people wonít notice it. I believe it will fly by most people fine.

But I do think an end grain veneer would have been possible and Iím still puzzled as to why they didnít try to match a real block exactly and eliminate any concern about it. Maybe they tried but it wouldnít work or hold up. Just seems that with the huge amount of time and effort they claim went into the design and fabrication of this they could have solved any issues.

Theyíre other wooden product, Omamori, is made very similarly but it never bothered me with that because A) itís much smaller so consequently less noticeable; and B) Omamori doesnít pretend to be a plain block of wood. Itís a Japanese charm to protect and bring good luck, so itís already thought to be something ďspecialĒ.
[quote]On May 5, 2021, pegasus wrote:

You are choosing personal convenience and practicality over stronger magic. I get that. I prefer stronger magic. [/quote]

But how is IR stronger? Whereís your logic? [/quote]

The weight, appearance and intrinsic solidity of a brick of metal is more impressive than a piece of wood.

Producing a basketball from an empty paper bag is a good trick. Producing a bowling ball is stronger. My two cents.

The weight, appearance and intrinsic solidity of a brick of metal is more impressive than a piece of wood.

Producing a basketball from an empty paper bag is a good trick. Producing a bowling ball is stronger. My two cents. [/quote]

Producing a block of steel MAY be stronger than producing a block of wood, visually.

In my opinion, turning a deck of cards into a block of wood is way more meaningful than turning it into a block of steel.

You prefer visual over meaning, thatís personal preference and Im not judging. That being said, I like Holy Wood better because there are more rooms for routines/plots. My 2cents.

Producing a basketball from an empty paper bag is a good trick. Producing a bowling ball is stronger. My two cents. [/quote]

I get your point and in some ways I agree but I donít think your analogy is fair because unless you have significantly modified your IR routine, the metal block doesnít appear in an empty card box in most spectators eyes. They almost universally view it as a penetration.

Whether a metal block appears more intrinsically solid than a wooden block is your subjective opinion not an absolute fact.

An argument could be made that because of the addition of the vanishing deck gimmick, the reveal of the wooden block could be more startling. In addition, the scripting of having playing cards return to their original form creates an interesting (and surprising) play on words, and thatís not nothing.

But I agree that the appearance of the heavy metal block is a surprising moment. But not surprising enough to lug it around IMO.
Hi Videoman,
You make a very solid point ( see what I did there?)
The end grain veneer is a great idea but maybe for technical reasons they didn't do it.
Industrial revelation works because the solid block of brass is heavy and its appearance, while incongruous, is startling. I never like the idea of a metal block just appearing in the card case with no real justification, at least none that I've ever heard that makes sense.

Further, most all penetration effects I can think of show the object being penetrated before the magical penetration happens. You see the girl is whole before entering the box, you see the bill whole before the pen goes through and so on whether it is a wall, a silk, or a card, the object is always shown first (I hedge because while I can't think of one presently, someone will inevitably come up with some penetration effect where the object isn't shown first, other than a variant of this trick of course). What I like about Holywood is the adaptation of the Paul Harris vanishing deck gimmick into the routine. This allows one to freely switch in the gimmick while being able to convincingly show the deck in the box.

The weight of IR is part of it's appeal. But that weight is also a liability in a couple of different ways. First, carrying the IR gimmick (and the metal phone gimmick) is difficult because of its weight. It will pull down and misshape pockets in any kind of light dressy material. I would imagine a belt holder must be necessary to carry it if one is to do it strolling, as it is a closeup trick.

Second, if one subscribes to the theory that magic is more powerful when done in the spectator's hands, then IR weight is again a disadvantage, as the Holywood block of wood change can happen in the spectator's hands.

In the above paragraph I mentioned the change happening in the spectator's hands, but what I really meant was the TRANSFORMATION happens in the spectator's hands. While it is a small point, the fact that cards are made of paper and paper is made from wood makes all the difference to the story making sense. Cards are shown in a box and then TRANSFORMED into wood, back to what they came from. The reasoning is simple and inherent.

IMHO, YMMV...
The ad copy states, ď Comes with beautiful handmade block + 2 boxes with slit.Ē

Can anyone who owns this confirm if the Joker card gimmick that allows you to show a full deck of cards inside the box also included inside the package?
Good points by all. I do see the logic/ strength of the paper to wood story and by all accounts this seems a very well made product. I may take the plunge after all.
[quote]On May 5, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:

Can anyone who owns this confirm if the Joker card gimmick that allows you to show a full deck of cards inside the box also included inside the package? [/quote]

You get the wooden block, two card boxes with slits, and itís worth noting that the slits are very precision made. They are not cut by hand with an exacto knife, they appear to be cut by a machine or laser or something. You get a small piece of sandpaper. You get THREE of the vanishing deck gimmicks. You do NOT receive ANY playing cards, jokers or otherwise. But itís a nice touch that they supply 2 of the card cases. Most effects of this nature only supply a single case. And the 3 van deck gimmicks is also a nice touch.

You supply your own jokers or card of your choice. You attach the supplied gimmicks to your cards. They show the construction on the tutorial but I doubt anyone will need that. It takes a few seconds to make the gimmicked card.

The vanishing deck gimmicks look okay as is but appear a bit fake to me. I think they suffer from the too perfect theory. This is not a slam on Hanson's because most of the printed ones look too uniform and perfect. I like to embellish them just a bit using a ruler and pencil.
Thanks videoman, appreciate the helpful response!!
[quote]On May 6, 2021, oombob wrote:
Good points by all. I do see the logic/ strength of the paper to wood story and by all accounts this seems a very well made product. I may take the plunge after all. [/quote]

Thatís good to hear.
[quote]On May 5, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:

Can anyone who owns this confirm if the Joker card gimmick that allows you to show a full deck of cards inside the box also included inside the package? [/quote]

There is also a link at the top of the tutorial download page that takes you to a page to download a full sheet of vanishing deck gimmicks to print for yourself
I donít believe Iím revealing too much here if I say that something I found helpful was attaching a tiny magnet to the back of the vanishing deck gimmick helps to keep things in place a bit more securely and also hands free. I have tons of these in my A&C drawer so it required no additional expense and only a couple seconds of effort.

Been practicing with this more and more and Iím liking it more and more too.
[quote]On May 6, 2021, videoman wrote:
I donít believe Iím revealing too much here if I say that something I found helpful was attaching a tiny magnet to the back of the vanishing deck gimmick helps to keep things in place a bit more securely and also hands free. I have tons of these in my A&C drawer so it required no additional expense and only a couple seconds of effort.

Been practicing with this more and more and Iím liking it more and more too. [/quote]

That is such a great tip. It really helps. Thank you I wish we had a Facebook page to share ideas like this.
Does anyone else have some gaps or separation that is noticeable on the top and bottom edges? I have talked to another member and they did not. Just checking. I reached out to Hanson's product manager and they suggested to sand the edges, but I feel that will make the gap even more apparent, as it is already separated in two spots at the edges.

Wanted to see if it is just my item that is this way, or perhaps a standard in the production of Holy Wood.
I wanted to keep my mouth shut in this forum since I'm awaiting the arrival of mine, but that doesn't sound right to me, r.

So you have to fix their manufacturing problem.

Wow!

Don't even try to fix it.

Tell them that you want another one, or else complain to PayPal.
Nope, no gaps or anything noticeable on mine.
Unfortunately, you may need a replacement. Hard to say for sure because itís not clear to me where or how big these are or if it would even be possible to fix it yourself.
Tell them to send you a new one. Not send you one once they receive yours back, send one ASAP. They should have kept a few set aside for lost or damaged orders, etc.

I doubt PayPal will be of much help. All a sender has to do is show a tracking number, and it doesnít even have to be a valid tracking number, and PayPal will decide against you and close the case. They very much want to keep their merchant accounts happy.
Not for damaged goods, videoman.

They also want to keep the people spending the money happy.
Yeah, I didn't want to make a big deal about this in public IF I am the only one with an issue and have been very patient messaging them. They took about 4 days to get back to me and sent me a video they made showing me the way they recommend to sand the edges. But sanding, in my opinion, would make the wood separate even further from each edge. Also, I would hate for them to possibly say I sanded it poorly and it's now my fault, not that I suspect they would/wood do that.

So far, from people I have heard from in private messages and here, most people have a perfect looking item, so I don't want to put off the image that this item is not made well.

Also, this is I the CLOSED state that I see the gaps. I have shared photos with one member and he is welcome to state his opinion here on the matter.

If anyone else wants to see photos and tell me their opinion of it's a faulty item or not you can contact me at rbromley@ gmail. I'll be happy to share and get opinions before I start to ask for a replacement or push the issue further. They have been very nice in dealing with me and I think they may want to try more possibilities before issuing another.
I can't even understand how sanding the edges would close the gap.

Seems to me like it would cause the gap to get worse.

What am I missing here?
I would definitely return the item, with tracking, and ask for a replacement. At the very worst youíll get a full refund via PayPal, but Iím sure youíll receive a new one.
Thanks everyone for the informative messages to my email and here at the Cafť. I responded to them and said I didn't think sanding it would help, they responded with this:

"We suggest you try it first, and report the problem to us if you canít solve it :)
2021-05-07 14:10PM"

Sounds like they will help resolve this issue either way. Mind you, this is all people that work in production and for the shop, not Hanson directly. I will see if sanding does anything to humor them, but I suspect they will end up swapping this for me.
Is sanding covered in the tutorial? If not it should be.
[quote]On May 7, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Is sanding covered in the tutorial? If not it should be. [/quote]

They mention it, but in my case they just made me a video and sent one suggesting how to sand this holding it at a 60 degree angle on the sandpaper.
As much money as you paid, you shouldn't have to repair the problem. Unless it's a little rough or has a burr or a little bigger sanding might not be the answer imo.

Best

Steve
[quote]On May 7, 2021, rbromley wrote:
[quote]On May 7, 2021, pegasus wrote:
Is sanding covered in the tutorial? If not it should be. [/quote]

They mention it, but in my case they just made me a video and sent one suggesting how to sand this holding it at a 60 degree angle on the sandpaper. [/quote]

Thatís not so bad then. Still not the best solution but if it works then bingo. Youíre good to go.
Let me say that their service at Hanson's site has been responsive and friendly, I am not trying to paint a bad light on them or their products. I received this response from Hanson today, sanding won't fix it so I will swap it:

"Hi,

Here is Hanson.

Regarding your question, we responded a little bit late because our team spent some time discussing this issue.

I know that waiting will make people impatient, so we try to provide you the best solution at this moment.

So, if you canít solve current problem by pressing the wood or using sandpaper, we are glad to send you a replacement.

The next shipment will have to wait until mid-May. If you are sure that the problem cannot be solved and you are willing to wait, please let us know.

Thanks."
That's fair...sorted.
When you sent me the pics it looked, not good at all.
Probably worse in reality.
It's a high end high cost product that should be replaced.
No comfort to you but seems you have been unlucky as everyone seems happy with the quality.
Hopefully a new one be with you soon and you can start to enjoy it.
Just to clarify, the problem with Ryan's block was around the edges of the block and
not the opening.
The edges are lifting...no good at all, and sanding will not close the gaps.
They provide sandpaper for cleaning marks or greasy fingerprints that may mark any flat surfaces.
What I have done, as per the suggestion of Hanson and another member here, is applied pressure for a while in the way they showed me to sand it in a video they made for me--but without sanding it, just applying the pressure for a while. It looks much better and I suspect that the edges my naturally lift on these with use and may just need to keep up maintenance I it. I am sure they will create a maintenance video for us all to download.
I have 2 Perspex sheets and 4 wing nuts and bolts and often clamp decks between them to keep them pristine. Itís good for making gimmick cards and clamping them over night and also keeps ID decks and alike much longer lasting if you store this way between performances. It will probably keep this gimmick good too and possibly iron out Ryanís type of issues in the future. Best wishes Gaz 😊
This will do the job too Gaz 😊

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05iMcESpt5CYO0A5IuBdYK5FQ
[quote]On May 7, 2021, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I have 2 Perspex sheets and 4 wing nuts and bolts and often clamp decks between them to keep them pristine. Itís good for making gimmick cards and clamping them over night and also keeps ID decks and alike much longer lasting if you store this way between performances. It will probably keep this gimmick good too and possibly iron out Ryanís type of issues in the future. Best wishes Gaz 😊 [/quote]

Good idea Gaz. If you donít have a card press perhaps you have some clamps and a couple flat sheets of wood, metal, acrylic, etc.
If nothing else leave it overnight on a hard flat surface such as a tabletop or counter top under a flat piece and weight it down with books or whatever you can find.

I donít think this prop is going to require maintenance in most cases, but those in very humid areas or who experience extreme weather conditions may run into problems on occasion.
Great ideas, but this block has not been neglected, it arrived like this.
I hope this isn't going to occur to owners down the line.
So in other words, the glue is not holding the laminates to the core properly.

That means that every one of these is going to fall apart eventually, unless only that one escaped the careful and precise hand manufactured process.

I'll bet that Hanson is still using the first one that was made for him three years ago with no problems.
[quote]On May 7, 2021, Jack Straw wrote:

That means that every one of these is going to fall apart eventually, unless only that one escaped the careful and precise hand manufactured process.

I'll bet that Hanson is still using the first one that was made for him three years ago with no problems. [/quote]

I agree Jack they always are with no issues at all after 100,s of real world performances lol Gaz 😊

I'll bet that Hanson is still using the first one that was made for him three years ago with no problems. [/quote]

When I read "carefull and precise hand manufactured process" I imagine a bunch of teenagers gathered around a kitchen table with their fingers stained with pizza and glue...
Iím tempted to pick this up because if its portability (being light weight), but I have reservations about its overall durability and longevity. Sure the metal counterparts arenít ideal for strolling, but at least you know theyíre built to last.

Letís not blow this out of proportion prematurely.
This was a tiny issue on ONE block. Which they have quickly agreed to replace. Itís hard to produce a hundred of anything and sell them at a reasonable price, and have every single one be perfect.
It could have been an air bubble on the very edge combined with extreme temperature changes during shipping that caused a very small area not to adhere properly and to lift slightly.
$&it happens, but itís how you handle it that counts.

IMO, Hanson and his team are genuinely trying to produce a high quality product and NOT trying to sell a poorly produced and way overpriced POS.

Itís definitely not fair to claim that every one of these is going to have problems. Theyíve had some experience with their Omamori product which is also made of wood veneer and it seems to be holding up well. Time will tell of course.
[quote]On May 9, 2021, Phatmeat wrote:
Iím tempted to pick this up because if its portability (being light weight), but I have reservations about its overall durability and longevity. Sure the metal counterparts arenít ideal for strolling, but at least you know theyíre built to last. [/quote]

You do have to be more careful with this version. I donít consider it to be too fragile other than I donít think you could get away with dropping it too many times. The jury is still out on ultimately how long it will last. You may just have to take a chance on it and find out for yourself. You may discover that you just donít enjoy performing it long before it wears out.

But when you say you do strolling magic, I presume these are paid gigs. So if you really ended up performing this a lot and were happy with it, Iím genuinely curious how often replacing it would simply be considered a cost of doing business? I would imagine a couple of times a year would be reasonable if one is truly running a business and not a glorified hobby.

Let me say though that I am really digging this thing. The addition of the vanishing deck gimmick along with removing a couple genuine cards, then also being able to have a spectator hold it and have the magic happen in their hands. Plus, having a premise that makes sense by the cards returning to their original form, wood. All adds up to really make this a truly magical transformation from a deck of cards into a block of wood. Itís like a form of alchemy.

This gets compared a lot to IR because it seems very similar at first glance and uses the same basic method. But I believe it can really be an entirely different effect and experience to the spectators. It is way more believable that there are cards in the card box, and somehow you are passing a card through them. So they might think that maybe all the cards have slits in them. But I truly believe if presented correctly the reveal of the wooden block can seem much more like the cards actually changed into wood rather than just a penetration. I think they are going to be much less inclined to wonder how this solid looking block could possibly open up as they often are with IR or the matchbox versions. So I think itís very possible that there may be far less heat on the wood block.

Anyway, I either own or have owned most of the versions of this type of effect and this is the first and only one that has felt truly magical to me.
I originally was private messaging with one member to compare our Holy Wood items, his appeared to be flawless. I didn't want to mention anything publicly on here to avoid controversy when there may not even be one. In production small issues can arise with ANY product and even more so after shipping. The team at Hanson's production department was nothing but helpful and kind. When they suggested sanding it I decided to see if I were the only person with an item that had some noticeable issues on here. I received a lot of messages and emails, pretty much everyone else seemed happy with theirs. I didn't want to sand it and possibly widen the gaps, especially if my issue wasn't even an issue and it's how they were made. Hanson reached out to me and said try the maintenance they suggest and if that doesn't work he will gladly replace it.

I can see that the way the product will work is made very well, it will do what it says it does and is very lightweight. They care about their product. I would not hesitate to order one based on my experience. Even IF yours had issues, they would solve that for you without a hassle. I recommend this 100%.
So there you go.

End of controversy.
Wish I knew where mine was now that it's arrived in U.S.
[quote]On May 9, 2021, videoman wrote:
So if you really ended up performing this a lot and were happy with it, Iím genuinely curious how often replacing it would simply be considered a cost of doing business? I would imagine a couple of times a year would be reasonable if one is truly running a business and not a glorified hobby.
[/quote]

If I recall correctly (and I may not!), these are not going to be made in large numbers? Durability becomes more of a factor *if* this is a limited release.
[quote]On May 9, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Wish I knew where mine was now that it's arrived in U.S. [/quote]

I was able to track mine from start to finish using the USPS app. I also used the Track17 app that Hanson's store recommended. Have you tried either of those? Usually it sits in the San Francisco customs for a few days after arrival in the states.
Thanks, rbromley, 17track shows same results, and USPS says USPS Trackingģ is unavailable for this product for TAIWAN. I'll just try to be patient!
[quote]On May 10, 2021, dooblehorn wrote:
Thanks, rbromley, 17track shows same results, and USPS says USPS Trackingģ is unavailable for this product for TAIWAN. I'll just try to be patient! [/quote]

Yes please. That would be appreciated.
I also was not able to track my shipment, same message from USPS, however it did arrive in a very acceptable time frame, so far really impressed with the quality,

NM
Thanks Magicnorm, THAT was helpful.
Anyone see their shipment from 2nd batch sent yet?
I've been waiting three weeks, hopefully, it will not be much longer...
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 17, 2021 03:09PM)
I'm also someone who ordered from the second batch and haven't heard anything yet regarding an approximate shipping date! Very eager to get my hands on this, and I'm hoping we hear more soon.
I ordered one of the very last ones in the first batch. It arrived today. I took the gimmick out and carefully looked it over. I then looked at the Holy Wood gimmick under a 5X magnifying glass with led light. I know, in theory, where the "thing" is supposed to be, but under 5X lighted magnification, I could not see a thing. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squadouche. Just looks like a block of wood.

Then I watch how to, you know, "set" the gimmick, and I'm like Oh, okay I see here. Just follow the directions, treat it nice, pull how they say and it should be sweet. Can't wait to start creating my own story for the paper cards to wood transformation.

Regarding the wood block, a woodworker would likely not be fooled by this. They'd know something was up because of the grain and construction. Personally, I'm not worried about that. That block is going to be put away soon after the trick is over.

Overall, I'm initially very pleased.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (May 17, 2021 10:40PM)
[quote]On May 17, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
I ordered one of the very last ones in the first batch. It arrived today. I took the gimmick out and carefully looked it over. I then looked at the Holy Wood gimmick under a 5X magnifying glass with led light. I know, in theory, where the "thing" is supposed to be, but under 5X lighted magnification, I could not see a thing. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Squadouche. Just looks like a block of wood.

Then I watch how to, you know, "set" the gimmick, and I'm like Oh, okay I see here. Just follow the directions, treat it nice, pull how they say and it should be sweet. Can't wait to start creating my own story for the paper cards to wood transformation.

Regarding the wood block, a woodworker would likely not be fooled by this. They'd know something was up because of the grain and construction. Personally, I'm not worried about that. That block is going to be put away soon after the trick is over.

Overall, I'm initially very pleased. [/quote]

Well Kalix, let us know how pleased you are after roadtesting this effect. I would interested to hear your experiences in the field.

I just wonder how durable this is. With my IR (after adjusting the tightness, adding a light touch of black ink and scrubbing the ink to leave a black residue in various grains/points, one cannot tell that a slight line use to exist at all in the middle (due to using a screwdriver once to pry it open since it was so dang tight when I bought it from a Cafť member). The added camoflauge made up for any imperfections, and I been having fun seeing the reactions. I know that IR will last a lifetime with care, and when you plunk that thing on the table, it gets everyone's attention since it is so d*mn heavy. The weight of it can add to the Wow factor from my experience.

I wonder how Holy Wood will hold up. I do think it is a different type of effect potentially a time travel/time shift type of theme) that plays differently than IR (I talk about a borrowed quarter represents Houdini, a man who spiritualist believed could dematerialize himself to walk through a wall or escape his bonds to then materialize on the other side).

To those that performed both IR and Holy Wood, are there any difference in the reactions you are getting or spectator feedback?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 19, 2021 06:55AM)
Got a shipping notification for mine this morning! How long did it take to ship to others here? Iím in Canada and would love a sense of when I might expect it!
Mine hasn't shipped as of yet. Hoping soon.
[quote]On May 19, 2021, michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Got a shipping notification for mine this morning! How long did it take to ship to others here? Iím in Canada and would love a sense of when I might expect it! [/quote]

It depends on what delivery option you chose. I paid extra for expedited so it took me about a week to get it and go through customs. If you didnít pay for expedited service it may take longer.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 19, 2021 10:38AM)
My delivery method says Express Package and I think I paid about $27.00 for it. Not sure if that's the expedited option or not!
Looks like the next batch is set for June:

"HOLY WOOD (PRE-ORDER)
The 1st batch is SOLD OUT.
The 2nd batch is SOLD OUT.
Next batch: Early June 2021.
US$99.95"

I had one shipped last Friday that is in Los Angeles at the moment.
I have just looked at the block shown in Kaan's video review and I cannot imagine that anyone who has wielded a wood saw (most men on the planet) would be fooled by what should be the crosscut ends. They scream that this is not a solid block of wood. You don't have to be a woodworker to 'suss' that.
I personally have never used a saw or taken a wood shop class. I guess Iím ignorant to wood cutting but I stare at Holy Wood and it looks like a block of wood to me. I havenít had the opportunity to perform this in a live setting yet due to the pandemic but I doubt the average person would (wood) notice anything out of the ordinary. Itís a block of wood.
[quote]On May 19, 2021, maklakmak wrote:
I have just looked at the block shown in Kaan's video review and I cannot imagine that anyone who has wielded a wood saw (most men on the planet) would be fooled by what should be the crosscut ends. They scream that this is not a solid block of wood. You don't have to be a woodworker to 'suss' that. [/quote]

I have quite a bit of woodworking experience, even have a fairly nice home shop. My first impression was the same as yours the second I took the wooden block out of the box. But over time I have come to like this prop a lot. I donít think you should write it off too quickly.

First of all, I donít believe it will scream out that its not a simple block of wood to the vast majority of people. Those in the know may not be as amazed but I do think they will still be very intrigued. Plus, even though woodworkers use glued butt joints constantly, it is not common to have a joint that can open and close in this manner or for this purpose. IOW, what is involved here is not a common woodworking practice.

But hereís the thing that I think many are getting wrong... they are viewing this like you would a matchbox penetration or IR, because at first glance to a magician it appears to be the same thing.

It doesnít play that well on the demo, but it is really possible to truly make people believe the box contains a deck of cards. So the change itself can be startling and amazing, keeping it from being just a ďgosh, how could this block possibly come apartĒ type of effect. This takes a LOT of heat off the block IMO. Throw in a deck switch after a couple card tricks and end grain or not, there is going to be some boggled minds!

Again, I would warn people, especially those who do woodworking, not to dismiss this too quickly.

Of course, having said all that, I do wish they would have used the proper end grain, then it would be virtually perfect. Iím not sure that it couldnít be done. I honestly think it could have been. I tend to suspect that the creators themselves may not have been well versed enough in woodworking to realize that it should be end grain, or thought that virtually no one would notice.

If they ever put out a version 2.0 with end grain I will buy it for sure because I love this prop and concept.
One of the things I regularly remind myself is the rule of three in doing magic. Remember you donít just do one trick and drop the mic and see if they can figure it out. Youíre moving in a flow to the next trick as part of a set so they lose focus and you want your presentation to bring the emotion and entertainment, bypassing logic. So as long as youíre not entertain engineers....which I find to be an oxymoron at times...lol , with those who want to solve it rather than be entertained...and thatís without a sw**** for safety sake.
Any effect you do, the spectator knows you have some way of doing this that they may not be able to figure out. Even if they suspect it isn't actual wood, they still may go on being surprised at how you did this. Wood or not, I think they will focus on how a deck of cards disappeared and they pushed a card through a solid object of sorts.
Not sure if this will help people who are waiting or not but here goes: I ordered Holy Wood (from the second batch) on 5/5 and got a notice on 5/20 that it has shipped. I'm not a woodworker and I haven't received mine yet but I'm not that concerned about people noticing an issue with the grain. I generally don't allow spectators to hold on to my props so it really isn't an issue. If you let any spectator play with a prop that is gimmicked, they are likely to discover something eventually. However, why would you do that? I agree with the earlier posts that you just keep moving. You want to present magic, not a puzzle to be solved.

Dave
Have used IR for some time with excellent success. Ordered Holy Wood today for its portability/weight plus the relation of wood to paper.
[quote]On May 21, 2021, psychod wrote:
Not sure if this will help people who are waiting or not but here goes: I ordered Holy Wood (from the second batch) on 5/5 and got a notice on 5/20 that it has shipped. I'm not a woodworker and I haven't received mine yet but I'm not that concerned about people noticing an issue with the grain. I generally don't allow spectators to hold on to my props so it really isn't an issue. If you let any spectator play with a prop that is gimmicked, they are likely to discover something eventually. However, why would you do that? I agree with the earlier posts that you just keep moving. You want to present magic, not a puzzle to be solved.

Dave [/quote]

I agree with you in many cases but there are certain things that become more memorable if you involve a spectator in the handling. I think this routine is greatly improved by allowing the spectator to open the box and remove the block themselves, and of course you donít want to immediately rip it out of their hands and quickly put it away and ďmove onĒ. But you also donít want to allow them to ďplayĒ with it and let the examination go on too long. There is a happy medium you develop a sense for with experience.

The issue being raised about the grain is that it doesnít require close inspection. They donít even have to hold it themselves. To anyone in the know it is apparent from several feet away.

But not many are going to be in the know or care about the grain. I wouldnít let this (non)issue keep you from getting this prop if you like the effect. Thousands of effects have discrepancies in them which fly right by the vast majority of spectators, and I believe this will as well.

I have a hunch that this item may become as hard to obtain in the future as IR is now. So if think you might regret not having pulled the trigger on this at some point down the road, I wouldnít put off purchasing it too long. Of course I may be totally wrong about that, but then again I may not. Or they may release a 2.0 that eliminates the grain issue. Who knows? Thatís the chance you take, but Iím happy to own of of these now regardless of type of grain.
I received mine today and as well as this is made (I can't see a thing), I was surprised that the block of wood isn't actually the same size as a playing card - it's probably 5 or 6 mm short. I assume everyone's is the same?

I think I'll have to add something to the card case to raise the wood and keep it flush.
[quote]On May 26, 2021, danHumphrey wrote:
I received mine today and as well as this is made (I can't see a thing), I was surprised that the block of wood isn't actually the same size as a playing card - it's probably 5 or 6 mm short. I assume everyone's is the same?

I think I'll have to add something to the card case to raise the wood and keep it flush. [/quote]

Yes, that is how they all are. Not sure why.
But I actually think it kind of helps the illusion of the deck inside the box. The slight angle just looks more realistic to me for some reason.
You can put something to raise the wood block up but personally I donít find it necessary.

I mentioned this a few pages back but its worth mentioning again...
I attached a small, thin magnet to the back of the vanishing deck gimmick. Its not necessary by any means but it aids in holding things together and helps more than you might think.
I think if you try it you will like it.
Yes the thin magnet helps with the size and allows it to stick on the wood better since there is metal inside the wood.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 27, 2021 09:11PM)
Got mine in the mail today and WOW, I'm already in love with this thing.

Everything here is beautiful, from the thoughtful packaging to the precision craftsmanship of the gimmick; the dirty work is hidden immaculately (even under bright lighting and up super close, you can't see a thing) and I would have absolutely no issues or fears about letting spectators closely examine it in their own hands. In fact, I tried it on my roommate tonight - letting her open the box and take out the wood block herself - and I didn't feel even slightly nervous that she'd come close to finding anything. Incidentally, she was totally baffled and more fixated on thinking the card case was gimmicked rather than the block.

I've been chasing this sort of effect after missing out on Industrial Revelation a few years back, and Holy Wood totally scratches my itch. I love that it's lightweight and easy to carry, and I also prefer the woodgrain look to a chunk of raw steel; my MacBook cover, phone case, and water bottle are all made out of wood, so this prop was extremely appealing on an aesthetic level too.

Even though it's built excellently, the wood block definitely requires some care; but with that care (and Hanson gives numerous tips on how to maintain the gimmick and reduce the risk of damage) I can see this lasting for years and years of regular use. I'd personally be selective of the sort of audience I'd perform this for to ensure my gimmick lasts - like I probably wouldn't whip this one out for a rowdy table of drunk bros at a bar, for instance - but overall, I couldn't be happier with Holy Wood. I almost never buy new magic, especially pricier pieces like this, but I have zero regrets.
[quote]On May 28, 2021, videoman wrote:

I mentioned this a few pages back but its worth mentioning again...
I attached a small, thin magnet to the back of the vanishing deck gimmick. Its not necessary by any means but it aids in holding things together and helps more than you might think.
I think if you try it you will like it.

[/quote]

Thanks - I'll definitely give that a try! 👍
Very tempted to pull the trigger on this one, probably will next week.

I had one idea, for people who want to get the ungimmicked blocks to give away as a souvenir, perhaps get them laser engraved on one side (the underside?) and make it the equivalent of a business card. Might as well make it work for you.
Received shipping notice this morning for order placed on May 22.
Mine just shipped too. I got an email that this is back in stock although the web site still says preorder shipping in early June. But now there are ungimmicked blocks of wood for sale as giveaways.
Hey everyone,

On Hanson Chienís website you can now purchase the regular ungimmicked blocks of holy wood.
This can be used as a give away if you like.

Iím guessing the side cut of the wood will match the Holy Wood.

One for $20
Three for $50
Five for $80
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 3, 2021 08:23AM)
Wow... That is expensive for a block of wood. I am in the wrong side of the magic business.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2021, The Mysterious One wrote:
Wow... That is expensive for a block of wood. I am in the wrong side of the magic business. [/quote]

Haha, true!
Too bad you canít let your spectator know you are giving them a $20 block of wood. Theyíd appreciate it a lot more. 😃

I guess there are occasions that pros might like to give it away. But for friends, family, coworkers, who is going to want a block of wood? So for me personally, I canít think of anyone that I might perform this for that wouldnít hand it back to me with a ďthanks, but you can keep it, I donít need a piece of wood.Ē 🙁

Although now that I think about it, Iím always looking for ways to prompt guests to ask to see some magic without them realizing thatís what they are doing. So maybe I could have a little display with the block of wood next to a deck of cards with a little sign that says ďWhat do these have in common?Ē or something like that which is intended to get them to ask me about it. I think thereís potential in that if I give it more thought.
Hey, videoman, I concur. Who really wants/needs a block of wood?
Holywood can already be examined. They will not find the secret. I donít think there is a need to over prove it by handing out a block of wood to keep. I also donít think it makes a very good give away item since itís just a block of wood. Itís not an impossible object.

The trick itself is great. Iím just curious if the ungimmicked wood will have the same side cut as the gimmicked holy Wood.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2021, funnyclown wrote:

Iím just curious if the ungimmicked wood will have the same side cut as the gimmicked holy Wood. [/quote]

For $20 it had better have matching sides!
Not sure if that would be preferred or not but it should be priced waaayyy cheaper if not.
I received my replacement Holy Wood today, it is in perfect condition and looks so much better. Great service and help from Hanson and his team. I recommend this highly.
Still waiting on mine
Mine's arriving to the UK on Monday via UPS. Woo Hoo! Did anyone have access to the tutorial earlier, i.e. requested the link after purchasing or do we all have to wait for the package to arrive before being able to watch the instructions? Thanks.
I requested the link and they sent it to me. Try that!
What kind of shipping time is it taking from the UK to the U.S.?
Depends if you choose express or standard delivery.

I chose express and it was in US in less than a weekl
From Taiwan my express package took about 8-9 days to Alaska. The standard shipping from there took almost 3 weeks.
[quote]On Jun 4, 2021, rbromley wrote:
I requested the link and they sent it to me. Try that! [/quote] Requested it in notes field when ordered but nothing. Have sent separate email...will see. Else, only a couple of days away, I suppose. Thanks.
Mine took 7 days to arrive here in Canada!
Message: Posted by: Christian_de_Punto (Jun 6, 2021 07:55AM)
Received mine after just 4 days in germany... the quality of the gimmick is 100/100. just perfect. the "resistance" in the hands of a spectator is very good. I guess you can let it slip in their hands out of the cardbox and you don't have to run...
also, I think that the necessary "structure" on the surface on a block of wood is less suspicious than on some of the metal objects we all know. I really like it.
Only six days shipping for mine to Canada.
Has anyone bought the ungimmicked wood. Iíd love to know if it looks exactly the same as holy Wood. I want to know about the sides and if the cut is the same with the fake wood on the side cut. Has anyone ordered it?
I altered the original box with my trusty Olfa and now the card box with gimmick will fit inside the box like when I received it. Perhaps in the next run, the foam insert could be made bigger to store the card box/gimmick in the original box.

I also added a little magnet that is centered on the backside of the gimmick. It does a nice job of keeping the PH gimmick from poking its head out. I like that this improvement might allow for the spectator to handle the box and remove the first card. Thanks to videoman for the tip.

I am looking forward to road testing this at the end of the school year!

[img]https://jasonaabate.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/20210608_185030.jpg[/img]
Received my Holy Wood yesterday and I have already wowed a small audience with this great effect. Holy Wood combines a deck disappearance with both a penetration and transformation component. I am very pleased with my purchase of this effect and I found the teaching, which was visual combined with English subtitles to be quite effective. Well done Mr. Chien.
Any thoughts on where to source more flat, new and empty card boxes?
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Any thoughts on where to source more flat, new and empty card boxes? [/quote]

You can buy flat tuck cases at some shops, you'll just need to cut the slit for the effect. I've seen them before on Penguin and elsewhere, though I can only find the below link at the moment.

https://www.shopbicyclecards.com/Bicycle-Rider-Back-Red-Tuck-Case-P368.aspx
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, trickyat86 wrote:
[quote]On Jun 22, 2021, Nathan Alexander wrote:
Any thoughts on where to source more flat, new and empty card boxes? [/quote]

You can buy flat tuck cases at some shops, you'll just need to cut the slit for the effect. I've seen them before on Penguin and elsewhere, though I can only find the below link at the moment.

https://www.shopbicyclecards.com/Bicycle-Rider-Back-Red-Tuck-Case-P368.aspx [/quote]

That's great, thank you, I appreciate it.
But you may prefer to get the full deck for not a whole lot more.

Have to say though that the cases that comes with Holy Wood are really nice with precision cut slits. I really like them.
If they sell refills for a reasonable price I would probably go with those.
[quote]On Jun 23, 2021, videoman wrote:
But you may prefer to get the full deck for not a whole lot more.

Have to say though that the cases that comes with Holy Wood are really nice with precision cut slits. I really like them.
If they sell refills for a reasonable price I would probably go with those. [/quote]

Yeah I agree, I just wasn't positive about my slit-cutting skills on a box already popped-up. However, I did just try it, I can manage. :)

Also, you have a tip about a ma**et on the gimmick? Thoughts on size or where you found a useful one?
The magnet keeps the flap tight against the wood block and makes the working much easier. Myself and others have found it very useful.
Size isnít too important as long as itís fairly thin and no larger than the flap. DS tape or super glue it onto the flap.
Iíve amassed quite a collection over the years so I just used one I had.

Anything similar to this would work:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D601

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-use-Refrigerator-Magnets-Science-Projects/dp/B07C68VZ36/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Thin+disc+magnet&qid=1624466859&sr=8-13

https://nicholaspresents.com/collections/all-products-1/products/6-micro-magnets-round

If you order from a magnet dealer, stock up or the shipping cost will kill you. 😃
Worked with this all day yesterday, opening and closing the block....and today the heels of my hands are so sore that I can't open it! Guess I don't have the 'knack' of this yet. :)
Just got shipping notification, so next batch is beginning to move. Got a tracking number, but don't know which service they use, anyone know? Can't wait for it to arrive in NZ.
[quote]On Jun 27, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
Worked with this all day yesterday, opening and closing the block....and today the heels of my hands are so sore that I can't open it! Guess I don't have the 'knack' of this yet. :) [/quote]

It does get easier. I think partly due to the block loosening up and partly due to acquiring the knack. Oh, and the heels of your hands getting tougher too. 😀

I just hope that over time it doesnít start to open too easily and examination requires much more audience management.
I can open mine without using the Industrial Revelation method.

Grip tightly and pull.

I can't open IR that way.

I'm still satisfied, though.
[quote]On Jul 1, 2021, Jack Straw wrote:
I can open mine without using the Industrial Revelation method.

Grip tightly and pull.

I can't open IR that way.

I'm still satisfied, though. [/quote]

If yours is as tight as mine, and you can open it by simply gripping and pulling it, I can only say that I'm never going to 'f' with you!
:rotf:
I'm a 200 pound weakling, rosario.

Like I said, IR I can't do, but this I can.

IR, of course, has an adjustment, and this doesn't.

This loosened up after a few days of playing with it.

I'll bet you could do it too.

I still think it's tight enough, although I would like it to be just a little tighter.

I'm happy with this, and that's saying something.

I usually come on here to complain about something.
As rosario now knows, it's a little more than "grip tightly and pull", but there is a much easier method than is shown in the instructions.
Just to let the group know. I decided to purchase the $20 ungimmicked Holy Wood. Itís nicely made and matches the gimmicked block perfectly. I just thought it might be nice to have the ungimmicked one handy in case I had someone that really wanted to examine it closely. It could easily be switched out. I wouldnít do this as a regular thing but itís nice to have if needed.
One more thing to add about comparing the gimmicked Holy Wood and the ungimmicked Holy Wood I just noticed. It is true both look and feel exactly the same there is one difference. The ungimmicked Holy Wood is slightly smaller. This would not be noticed by the spectator since they will never be handling both blocks of wood at the same time. But itís an advantage to the magician so the magician can quickly know which one is gimmicked and which one is ungimmicked. This way you wonít hand out or give away the wrong one. This is clever thinking by Hanson Chien. The magician will be able to easily tell which block is which from inside his pocket simply by touch.
Definitely a very cool version for the penetration effect. I have had them all the matchbox, phone, block of metal, etc. I like the wood version and road-tested so far is great reactions!
Is this batch out of stock already? are they planning to make more?
[quote]On Jul 12, 2021, BrainMagos wrote:
Is this batch out of stock already? are they planning to make more? [/quote]

Just looked at the product page. It says send them a message if interested, but the add to cart button is still active... So maybe use their message option to confirm if they're taking orders for the next batch.
[quote]On Jul 9, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
Just to let the group know. I decided to purchase the $20 ungimmicked Holy Wood. Itís nicely made and matches the gimmicked block perfectly. I just thought it might be nice to have the ungimmicked one handy in case I had someone that really wanted to examine it closely. It could easily be switched out. I wouldnít do this as a regular thing but itís nice to have if needed. [/quote]

Thanks funnyclown.
I went ahead and ordered one also for the same reasons you did, and while it is currently available.
You never can be sure things like this will be available in the future.
Ordered one as well. Postage was surprisingly reasonable.
Ordered one but it has been a week and no news yet if it is on the way...
FYI, ordered ungimmicked block on 7/12 and received in So Cal on 7/26. So it took exactly 2 weeks using standard shipping. Not too bad, canít complain about shipping speed.

Block looks very nice. Not an exact match if placed side by side but I didnít expect it to be. But certainly close enough to pass muster. Iím referring to the grain and color because obviously the length is just a wee bit shorter in order for owners to tell the difference with a quick glance.
Several week later, is this prop holding up to use? Are the early adopters still happy with it?
Have had/used it multiple times since early June. No change in quality of the prop, and Iím more then happy with it.
About the same for me as trickya86. I got my block in the first run. Iíve used it at least a couple dozen times and quality and look is exactly like first day. Works great Iím very happy with Holy Wood. I also purchased a dummy block. I rarely feel the need to hand out the block for examination but a few times Iíve switched the block out for the dummy block. Iíve used the cooler for Switch
[quote]On Aug 14, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
...Iíve used the cooler for Switch [/quote]

So, The Cooler is easier to use with Holy Wood than it is with a deck of cards?
Are they having trouble? Iíve sent two emails regarding my order and have got no response. Itís been a long time and while my account says itís shipped, I havenít heard anything and didnít know if they had trackingÖ
I got a tracking number with my order, but I didn't know what site to use, so I wrote to them and they said to use https://www.17track.net/en
Just saw on Instagram, the next batch is coming up and the length of the block is increased to 87.65mm (prior it was 83.65mm). https://www.instagram.com/p/CTfkgo5BU3R/
I just ordered from the 6th batch. I'm way stoked for this beautiful take on one of my favorite effects!
[quote]On Sep 7, 2021, aLittleMentalist wrote:
I just ordered from the 6th batch. I'm way stoked for this beautiful take on one of my favorite effects! [/quote]

If you just bought it today if I were you Iíd ask Hanson Chien if you could get the next batch that goes on sale tomorrow at 7:00 Pacific Time.
The new version is the exact size of a deck of cards The batch you just bought is slightly smaller than a deck of cards. Not too much of a big deal but since you just bought it you should get the new version.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2021, funnyclown wrote:
[quote]On Sep 7, 2021, aLittleMentalist wrote:
I just ordered from the 6th batch. I'm way stoked for this beautiful take on one of my favorite effects! [/quote]

If you just bought it today if I were you Iíd ask Hanson Chien if you could get the next batch that goes on sale tomorrow at 7:00 Pacific Time.
The new version is the exact size of a deck of cards The batch you just bought is slightly smaller than a deck of cards. Not too much of a big deal but since you just bought it you should get the new version. [/quote]

What??? I think you are a bit confused.

The 6th batch which went on sale yesterday (Labor Day) says that it is the new 6th batch and will be the longer one.

This new 6th batch is a pre-order and the latest version. It was posted as such yesterday before the pre-order was up for sale at 7:00 PM Pacific time.

I hope this clears things up for you.
I ordered the newer, 6th batch, which is the larger size😉