(Close Window)
Topic: Chinatown Half gone!
I was just about to order this, to find out it has been discontinued! This was what http://www.Magicbox.uk.com said anyway. Does anybody know any ENGLAND-based websites that still have this in stock?!

Thanks,
-Niko
You might try this link that I found through [url=http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/Prestomain.htm]Dan Watkins' Coinvanish site[/url]. You probably will have to contact them to find if they have the Chinatown Half.

Kevin Wiese
Try here: [url=http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=671]emagic.co.uk[/url]. They call it "China Change", but it's the same gaff.

Best,
Mike
Thanks Mike, that looks to be the one!

-Niko
I got my British Coin Unique from them and had a good experience... well, no problems anyway. :)

I love the Chinatown effect, in fact one or the four routines on my manuscript is an in-hand Chinatown routine that includes a transposition in the spectator's hand. I do that one regularly and it always kills.

You'll like the gaff, I'm pretty sure of that. Use your imagination when you get it. I think you'll find that with a very minor customization many extremely visual effects are possible.

Best,
Mike
I have David Roth's [i]Ultimate Coin Magic 1[/i] and he describes a couple of routines on that DVD.

Thanks,
-Niko

[b]UPDATE[/b]

Mike, I e-mailed them and they said it was just a Chinese coin with a half dollar. So, I'm still on the hunt for Chinatown half in the UK!
[i]China Change[/i] is not just a Chinese coin with a half dollar, and it's also not a [i]Chinatown Half[/i] although it's very similar.

[i]China Change[/i] is a half ] with a Chinese coin that fits inside. You can show the half dollar, close your hand into a fist pushing the nested coin into classic palm, turn your hand palm up and open it revealing the Chinese coin (the area inside of the hole is painted flesh to simulate the palm of your hand), and turn your hand palm down releasing the Chinese coin from the half ] which remains in classic palm position. The Chinese coin is examinable at this point.

[i]Chinatown Half[/i] is similar but it doesn't use a ] and instead is just one coin that's similar to a [i]Copper Silver[/i] coin. It has a half dollar on one side and a Chinese coin on the other (the area inside of the hole is the same color as the object on which you place the coin, for example flesh if you want to show the Chinese coin on your palm). The Chinese coin is not examinable, but you can switch it for a "regular" Chinese coin and then hand that one out for examination.

Larry D.

P.S. I use both, but for different routines
Larry, you will notice that I said: "Chinese coin with a Half Dollar [." I know what China Change is. I also know what Chinatown Half is, as I have the Roth DVD and want to use it so I can perform some of the routines described using that coin.

-Niko
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 20, 2004 01:33PM)
If you ask Todd... he can make you one of my Chinatown coins. ;)
Niko,

Maybe our computers display characters differently, but your posting doesn't have a "[" on my computer screen here at work, or on my computer screen at home. Your posting says, "...Mike, I e-mailed them and they said it was just a Chinese coin with a half dollar."

The [i]Chinatown Half[/i] (invented by Jonathan Townsend, as he mentions above) that I use was custom made by Todd. Sterling makes (or at least made) one as well.

Larry D.
Try Davenports. They list it in their catalogue: 020 7836 0408
I have a ChinaTown half set from Johnson (1/2 dollar size), as well as a custom set from Todd (dollar size). Both sets contain a gaff coin and an ungaffed Chinese coin. Now my custom set from Todd is a bit different in that the gaff separates like a S&S gaff to allow for easier change-outs of the insert, but when it comes down to it, it is very much like a C/S coin.

I thought the China Change gaff was the same thing under a different name. I'm reading that it is, according to emagictricks.co.uk, but it is not according to Larry. I'm confused.

Niko, you contacted emagic tricks, and they said that the effect that they have advertised as "China Change" is actually what now? Is it two coins, or one coin and one e]?

As I said, I'm confused.

Best,
Mike
[quote]
On 2004-06-21 08:19, Larry Davidson wrote:
Maybe our computers display characters differently, but your posting doesn't have a "[" on my computer screen here at work, or on my computer screen at home. Your posting says, "...Mike, I e-mailed them and they said it was just a Chinese coin with a half dollar."
[/quote]
Really? Well that's strange. I did write it though!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I am going to International Magic and Davenports later on this week so I shall have a look there if they sell them at all.

Mike, the trick advertised on emagictricks.co.uk is a Chinese coin and an American Half Dollar [.

Thanks again guys,
-Niko
OK, that's not what I thought it was. I'm glad you ironed that out before buying it!

Best,
Mike
I appreciate and want to thank those giving clear explanations. They helped me even though I was not particularly interest in Niko's question that sparked it all. I now know a bit more about gaff coins.

So, adding to that thread: I just stuck the Chinese] from Johnson's S/C/B into an E'Half$] from Johnson's Hopping Halves set. They nested, but too tight. Best way I know to separate is to shake in a weak plastic cup. Can you share a better way without bang ring? Johnson's Chinese coin from S/C/B did not fit the ], but is only imperceptibly larger than the Chinese].

Can someone confirm that the E'Half$] from Johnson's Hopping Halves set is identical to their Ultimate E'Half]?

Is the D-F'd C-S from Hopping Halves the same as Johnson's Copper Silver?

Lastly, what is the SS gaff that Wildstone mentioned?

I have been working into Bobo for nearly four months and my enthusiasm is still growing. What a fantastic $6 investment!!