(Close Window)
Topic: My thumbs up for THE THING THAT NEVER WAS holdout
Saw some videos of THE THING in action and got curious.
Always loved coin holdouts but never saw that kind of grab showed with THE THING.
So I gave it a try and this is what happened.
I smile all through the video, really, I was impressed by the simplicity of the idea and the. possibilities.
But still wasnít sure that it would suit my action so I got the material to build it
And try it.
And well, at the first try it worked but I wasnít ready to believe it.
After few days I started using it for little routine with coins out of nowhere and back into nowhere
and Iím working now on some close up thing.
Is simply great, little, easy to wear, to use. Iím impressed.

Donít know the guy behind it, but for me is really welcome in the magic world.
To everybody, check his video because THE THING is really worth coin lovers attention.
Here's a link for anyone having trouble finding it: https://thethingthatnevewas.gumroad.com/l/thethingthatneverwas

That does look very good.
WILL,,,, THANK U FOR THE TIP LOOKS REAL GOOD
I have this. This is really cool and works just like the demo videos. Will cost you only a couple of dollars to make. You can make multiple holdouts and store them in different places on your body. Installs in seconds. One of those "why didn't I think of that" kind of things.
Looks a bit like the secret servante.
I know well the Secret Servante, and it's great, but THE THING, is really a different thing and can be used in different ways with different clothes.
There's an instagram page where he shows interesting idea for coins routine.
They both look to do about the same things as to the basic effect of it, no? It certainly seems to look about the same as to the overall action of it.

I know SS can also be used with different clothes as well.

But I guess itís always good to have other ways to skin a cat. 😁
Totally agree with you.
But here the ditch is totally different, really effortless and natural.
Was curious so I asked my wife to try it. She's into magic because she's the first judge of my routine but that's all,
and at the first try she got the coin with no problem and using no misdiretction the effect was really impressive.

The possibility to adjust the holdout at the right height according to you body is simply perfect.
Went through "the thing" instagram page and found this video, vanishing 3 coins in 1 time...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP8NHcuIofX

Think this is cool and really helpful for ending a lot of routines with hands clean.
Ok, I'm in.

Daniel
I know that with the SS you can also vanish more than one coin at a time similarly.

It would be good here if someone who has tried both of these, could speak to any differences, similarities, as to good, better, best.
I have been using both of these & as expected, both are excellent....but different in some subtle ways.

I not only use T.T.T.N.W. for coins but also for 3 Disk Monte.
To give you an idea of it's use, here are 2 clips of using the Hold-out to bring another disk into play.
In the first clip I load & re-load the disk, while the 2nd clip I load & dump it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGxn5iuih0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7774toJ-g

With the camera right on the movements, I'm sure most of you can figure out when I'm using the hold-out.
I have also been playing with Credit Cards in the device. Lots of possibilities.
In a nutshell, I really like it.
Another wonderful performance, my friend. 😁👍🏽

And thanks for answering the call here for some greater clarity. As itís what we canít see (or what the specs canít see) that presents any such working differences. Which is why from the outside it all looks about the same. If this new way allows for even more deception, then letís have it. 😁

While they both seem to do about the same things, this seems to work pretty well too, especially as you work it. 😉
Great little closeup effect, and the neat moves to make that ďThingĒ do what it do. 👏🏽
The thing I like most about this is there is no finger or hand movement required when retrieving the coin. You don't even need to use your hand or fingers to release the coin and it falls into the perfect spot. Not a knock on SS but its obvious when you ditch or retrieve a coin due to the finger movement needed. You can burn your hands during the retrieval and ditch of a coin with The Thing That Never Was and not see a thing. Just watch the demo, it looks just like that when you try it the first time in the mirror. Genius if you ask me.
I have both. The secret servant and that Thing.

Price: Secret servant is more expensive . The thing you can make several holdouts at a lesser price
Size: Secret servant is more bulky and has limitations to where you can put it. The thing take a little space and you can put a hold jin many areas aroud your body
Noise: Secret sevant makes more noise when you retrieve and load the coins
Loading coins: The things is much faster to go in and out.
The things is like pushing a button and you receive the coins. The secret servant requires more effort , time and hand movement

Secret servant has some clothes limitations. The thing you can wear it even with your pijamas.if you want

Just watch in the Demo the part where he is wearing a T-Shirt with short sleeves. You cannot get any other holdoutt that will be that smooth .

Trust me on this one. Get the Thing.
[quote]On Oct 6, 2021, Joaquin wrote:
I have both. The secret servant and that Thing.

Price: Secret servant is more expensive . The thing you can make several holdouts at a lesser price
Size: Secret servant is more bulky and has limitations to where you can put it. The thing take a little space and you can put a hold jin many areas aroud your body
Noise: Secret sevant makes more noise when you retrieve and load the coins
Loading coins: The things is much faster to go in and out.
The things is like pushing a button and you receive the coins. The secret servant requires more effort , time and hand movement

Secret servant has some clothes limitations. The thing you can wear it even with your pijamas.if you want

Just watch in the Demo the part where he is wearing a T-Shirt with short sleeves. You cannot get any other holdoutt that will be that smooth .

Trust me on this one. Get the Thing. [/quote]

Spot on! Couldn't agree more
However....with the SS, the coin(s) are guaranteed secure. With the Thing, I am in constant fear of them falling....
That was my fear too, but to be honest nothing bad ever happened. My idea is to load the coin in the holdout a moment before the routine,
considering that loading in place take a second a no suspect movements.
Thank you guys, all welcomed information as to all this. Thatís why itís best for people who have tried both to give their impressions, critiques, as to what works & what might not . Itís all relevant and greatly appreciated. And Iíd say, all in all, The Thing seems like worth a try to better see for yourself. 😊

Thanks all. 👍🏽
The Thing is very simple but very good holdout. I really like it.
Loz, you are absolutely correct. You cannot judge this by its video. Because that is perfect, of course. In reality, the coins can fall out and it was simply not engineered right. I am just being honest here. The material is wrong, and the engineering is wrong. Which is why it is best to buy something from a magic seller. If someone makes a really nice video, there is no guarantee it will work as in the video. And this one does not. I can't share any more than this, but I fully tested it. And I refused to use it for that reason.

I had to engineer something with a very similar result, but vastly different holdout. It has the same effect, the completely clean drop of a coin, impossible to detect even if your hands are burned.,
i can do this with three coins as well, Morgans with no sound.

You have to trust me on this as well. After a lot of experience, I can tell you that if you have to curl your fingers under a ja...et to get coins or leave them,as in most other holdouts, this will be OBVIOUS to some spectators. They may not know how it works but the magic will be over. On the other hand, being able to acquire coins utterly cleanly with no noise or finger or hand movements, this is utterly miraculous to spectators.
Don't get me wrong but this message sounds much like a free discrediting comment. So much energy trying to persuade people not buying the thing because is not sale by some magic sellers and asking to trust you.
But probably I'm wrong.
But still in love with the thing and the "homemade" work behind it.
Hi Patrick, I appreciate your concern. I initially shared your joy in finding this as well. I felt the same way. This is no effort to persuade people. I have no agenda and will not sell my version, which actually works way better. I am merely expressing concerns which real magicians who perform, would have before deciding to buy this. I think it is very fair in saying that there is a certain "testing" process which many magic dealers use to eliminate some things which look great and fab on videos but do not work well in real life. Don't get me wrong; dealers could improve on this. But trust me, they do not want gobs of returns so they want something that is at least fairly reliable.

So let me ask you this, if you accidentally and lightly bump "the thing..... holdout" won't the coin/s fall out? Is this really what you want to risk wherever you go? At first I was excited about it, but the material, I realized was not grippy and was obviously the wrong choice even for this design. I custom build stuff all the time. But I realized, after extensive testing, that this design was not reliable and was risky as well. So my initial enthusiasm turned to disappointment. I in turn developed a superior holdout which works all the time , delivers coins in the same invisible way, and is a delight to use. But I will not sell this because it was inspired by this. I would suggest that if you perform paid shows, you develop a tough attitude with which to test and reject or improve products.
To be honest I had my doubts watching the video, even if I was really surprised by the idea. But after some try I knew it was the thing for me. Which doesn't mean that is the perfect gimmick ever, but I think the perfect gimmick doesn't exist. As far as I know. The coins are safe to me, obviously I can't pretend to go around all day with coins loaded, and would not be an intelligent thing to do. The coins can be loaded in a moment, but also going around with coins loaded while getting ready for a routine doesn't give me problem as far as I pay the right attention, same attention required by a great number of gimmick. The material is for me the best, I've tried to think of something else but still didn't came up with something better.
Not trying to convince anyone but still believe that is important to give space to homemade ideas like this. Not being sold as an object but as a video explanation is an honest choice that gives to me and to everyone who loved it a great space to improve it or find new way to make it works.
My question to you is, do you think that the material used is grippy and ideal? I think just a little thought would let you come up with something better.
Also, do you really want to have something where if you or something taps it, the coin/s fall? No, right?
The perfect gimmick of this type does exist you just have to work on it. but if this is good enough, then you would love a lot of other
half decent tricks on the market.
Imo Secret Servante is more secure, which for expensive gaffs and coins is important. Routining makes both invisible. The Thing requires less movement, which might help, depending on the routine, but the downside is the lack of security and ultimately youíre doing an extremely similar thing with an identical result.

Use both! Use The Thing when you have time to prepare and security matters less, and the Secret Servante if youíre doing repeat performances or using it as an everyday carry, always loaded.
So much about this thing is magical - in many ways!

- It is something like a discovery of a function from an object that is many decades old. Pure magic by itself.

- Though being fascinated by it, my engineering-heavy mind started to think about how to improve this and that. All my concerns have been wiped away with just one kindly response from the creator, who seems to be a practical and as well a creative thinker. Magical.

- The marketing / production. Many short clips of the thing in use. You get a pretty good idea what you will achieve with the thing. A self-made instructional video that covers all. No trailer. No presale. No wholesalers. No special effects. Very fair price. Nowadays: Magical!

- Prediction: The thing will grow. Iīm sure many users will have new ideas using the thing. The simple idea will get big: Magical!

- I was there (almost) from the start. Magically for me personally.

- Some handlings shown in the videos fool me again and again because the method is literally invisible, or, to put it better: magical.

Congratulations to the italian creator Livio Spalletti!
HI everybody, Iím the guy behind THE THING.
Would like to say thanks to everybody for the good and bad comments, both are really helpful to understand the critical issues and the strengths of the gimmick.
Few words about THE THING for those donít know it well or have doubts and wants to know more:
Is a coin holdout designed for close up magic and little impromptu routines so is not good for great routine as the Miserís Dream or similar because the amount of coins you can load is not so great.
Is really easy to build and use (and the material cost is really low) and you can use more than one on you, using different clothes.
Can be used under sleeves or at what I call ďthe belt zoneĒ but being in some way an open source idea there are more ways of use to be discovered, as in this two cases, two ideas I came top with after the instructional video was online:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQLYBp8oWzD/
(fb link: https://www.facebook.com/104046861234618/videos/226882172372172)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTjdF8UIYCH/
(fb link: https://www.facebook.com/104046861234618/videos/172169238385599)

So if you find a new ways and want to share with me, I would be really interested in it.
About safety:
There are lot of gimmicks that requires a bit of attention in handling them, I think of the invisible thread which
Gives. Great possibilities but needs great attention, but is not so difficult to avoid problem and soon will make some video to show how you can walk around and even jump (donít know why yo should jump during a routine but well, you may never know) without nothing happen.

The material used are, in my opinion, the best not only for the purpose of holding the coins but also for the possibilities to adapt the gimmick to different coin sizes and to put it on you wherever you may need.
You can use it to load coins or just to unload coins as an ending for some routines.

Didnít try to contact the great Magic Resellers because never imagined they could be interested in this kind of homemade ideas and probably this will only make me lose a great number of people, a a well done advertising and a great help in making a video far more appealing than mine, but is also a choice made to have a direct contact with all the eventual customers and be able to free improve the video with new ideas on how to use the gimmick, to give help and tips.

So if you need info or have questions of any kind, Iím here ready to answer.
You can pm me here or on my fb or Insta page, Iím usually connected and ready.
I want to say again thanks to everyone who bought it or got interested in it, and to say Iím very happy to be among a group of people like you, curious, smart and interested in giving a chance to an homemade product, is a little dream becoming true.

And a thanks even for your attention and your time in reading all this.
Have a nice magic day.

Livio
PLease get in touch with some big dealers. They are not just "Resellers". They also develop, refine and greatly improve ideas and routines!!!! Many ideas like this have come to them and they have added some slight improvements that made magic classic and reliable. You have a very good idea. But it needs to be improved. The right magic dealer can do this with you and also help you profit more than you would on your own. Just trying to encourage you. I appreciate the great idea!!
Countrymen since you claimed that you re engineering it and have a better holdout or improvement based on his concept why donít you share it at least with Livio. If you are going to provide a critic make it constructive and suggest him how to improve it.

I thought This was a place for magicians to help magicians
Otherwise what is the point of telling everyone here that you developed a superior holdout.
Hi Joaquin, if he just follows my advice, he will find a big dealer to help him. To improve it and make money from it.
on what you recently asked, to reveal what I had worked so hard on. It actually became a far better holdout. able to drop several coins and even one coin, then three big coins silently. jUst as invisible as the Thing....but totally different. much more sturdy and reliable. The problem is, some of the best magic takes so much work, it is never shared. It is often not worth marketing it... China will copy it in a week. This is a place for magicians to help each other, and I helped him if he will take my advice. But this site is not a place where people give away everything they worked so hard on for nothing.
Message: Posted by: SlightlyTipsyMagic (Oct 14, 2021 01:32PM)
For Joaquin - 👍🏻 Spot on brother!
I'll just add a couple things that may interest those that have or plan on.

The material used to build the hold-out varies. The material I use I purchased at Home Depot of all places. It is, shall we say, slightly more robust and size I like.
The amount of force required to release can be adjusted to the amount of material used. You can make it 'hair-trigger' or requiring much more.

The hold-out is really a Utility device that you can put on or take off in a flash.
As for the movement required to load and unload an object....in real world dynamics, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Like the classic pass or many other movements, it takes very little misdirection to take the focus off the hand if needed.

How one uses it is totally up to them. There are some ideas in Livio's vids, but I'm sure each user will find their own individual use. The clothing you wear may also be a factor. It works perfect for my attire, others may have to use differently.

Here is a quick, very informal, one shot vid I just did. Simple steal of the coin. Easy fast with the wand adding a bit of misdirection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LqxVtAgu0

Overall, I'm having fun exploring ideas & uses.
Hey Max(!),
your German's getting better and better!
,...your Sleight-of-Hand has ALWAYS been 'spitze'! 🍻

I enjoy your thoughts on 'der Ding'.
Danke,
Max, really love the video, and thanks for the kind words.
You should try the unload of the coin, think would make the routine more magical and the wand is a really good idea to help covering the action.
Still a great one, in my opinion.

Livio
I just bought this after the discussion here. It's certainly a "why didn't I think of that" type of thing. Extremely clever, actually.

If I would have bought it without this thread, I would have been very dubious that it would work as smoothly as advertised. Bit now I am very excited to get going with this gimmick.

Thanks all!
I thought of a way to improve the gimmick, PM me for details, if you've purchased "the thing" contributed to this thread already. I'd be happy to share.
Here I want to personally thank the creator of this holdout. Sorry no other holdout can drop coins into your hand when your hand merely taps your side. No curling of the fingers, no going under anything, ok? Even more, the effect of this on people close up is nothing short of a miracle. I like to finish a coin trick, in short sleeves, they can burn my hands, and produce like 3 big coins from nowhere. Or get change, and say there must be something wrong, showing my hands and the small coins from the change in an ultra clean way. Bam, three big coins come from nowhere.
So although I may differ some in my mechanism etc.,... I do want to thank the creator of this for what is nothing short of a miracle, for spectators, at least.
Gaddy, thanks for the review.
I'm the guy behind THE THING and hope to have permission to PM you to ask about your improvement giving some ideas back.
Someone asked me to create a group where to discuss about it and give advices and ideas...don't really know how to, but in case would be really great because I think the gimmick is a little open world
where everybody can help making it better.

Livio
I think that would be an excellent idea Livio. Like you said, "the gimmick is an open world" with many ideas to explore.
The trick would be to make it accessible only to those who have purchased it from you.
Perhaps a closed Facebook Group, only accessible to approved members by an administrator?
Hi,
I'm finally creating a fb group for all the customers of THE THING, a place where discuss, improve, and share ideas about THE THING THAT NEVER WAS.
All the customers will receive a mail to which you just need to answer with your fb name so once your request will be received you will be let in.
Hope you will join because seems like there are a lot of ideas to be shared about the hold out.
Wait for the mail, will arrive soon.

Livio
Unless I missing something, you can not download the video. Only streaming.
For me this is very important. If I can not download the video, I will not purchase the product.

Please in the future, state the video options, so I can make a accurate purchase decision.

This is a clever device with advantages and disadvantages.

PRO: More body locations. Less mechanics. Easy to build
CON: You can only use coins/disc as object. Weak holding. Wears out. Requiring a making another.

SS more versatile objects, stronger hold. Does not wear out.
Hi Jerry, thanks for comments.
About the download option, I'm really sorry, thought it would be clear, but not.
Next time will take care of it. Is my first time on gumroad and still have to understand perfectly the possibilities offered by the site.
[quote]On Oct 30, 2021, guazelli wrote:
Hi,
I'm finally creating a fb group for all the customers of THE THING, a place where discuss, improve, and share ideas about THE THING THAT NEVER WAS.
All the customers will receive a mail to which you just need to answer with your fb name so once your request will be received you will be let in.
Hope you will join because seems like there are a lot of ideas to be shared about the hold out.

Livio [/quote]

Great mate!!!!!!!
Looking forward to this. I have a few ideas that I think will interest others.
The Thing T.N.W.....simple (why didn't I think of this LOL) but brilliant. As a real worker, I will use this :-)
[quote]On Oct 5, 2021, Max T. Oz wrote:
I have been using both of these & as expected, both are excellent....but different in some subtle ways.

I not only use T.T.T.N.W. for coins but also for 3 Disk Monte.
To give you an idea of it's use, here are 2 clips of using the Hold-out to bring another disk into play.
In the first clip I load & re-load the disk, while the 2nd clip I load & dump it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGxn5iuih0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7774toJ-g

With the camera right on the movements, I'm sure most of you can figure out when I'm using the hold-out.
I have also been playing with Credit Cards in the device. Lots of possibilities.
In a nutshell, I really like it. [/quote]
You've just made many flaties very happy.
[quote]On Oct 30, 2021, guazelli wrote:
Hi,

Livio [/quote]

For those of you that have purchased The Thing, make sure you head over to the Facebook group.
Yesterday, there was a post on how to modify it and make it into sort of a top it as well as a hold out.
I had my girlfriend help me with the alteration and in my opinion this makes an excellent device become absolutely killer device.
The vid is free for those with The Thing & I recommend you have a look.
The video is really really great so if you are in the group, check it out.
If you have purchased THE THING and you want to be invited in the fb group just send me an email with you fb name or just contact me on my personal fb page ( livio spalletti) and I will invite you in instantly.
The unlisted vid I posted to FB unfortunately got flagged by YouTube (My bad....unbeknownst to me, the 10 seconds of music wasn't Royalty-free).
Back to the drawing board. When I get a chance I'll try and refilm. :-)
Here's what happens when you combine a couple sleights with THE THING. (and way too much time on my hands :-) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuT6g0cQ_4

Note:
credit to Danny Goldsmith for The Fling move,
to Livio for 'THE THING That Never Was'
and a teeny bit of credit to me for modifying THE THING and my sleights.
Max
Video was removed.
I am a fan of Danny Gís thoughts and ideas.
Hi Harris. Yes Danny has some absolutely great material. I purchased his 'Insights' download and loved a move called 'Fling'. Knacky but I persevered and my kinda thing.

Sorry about my vids disappearing. Here's something I just did today, playing around with 1 coin (? LOL) and using
THE THING as a holdout. Posted this routine before but my fave :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_u-b_asco

Wunderbar.
I did not recognize your name.
Your face brought me a smile as I saw your other videos in the past.
I was a mime prior to learning magic. Your movements and music blend well.
Bravo.
Max, truly great.
If you are in the fb page ABOUT THE THING and have time post your videos there.
If you are not in let me know.

Livio
Thanx Guazelli.
IMHO Livio's 'Thing' is brilliant in that it is so simple yet has many possibilities & applications. It is my fave device to explore and come up with ways to use it at the moment. By itself it is just a simple, easy-to-make device to load a coin but used with other sleights can help take a trick/routine to another level. For example, in The Miser's Dream' with a bucket, it is great device to get that 'extra' coin in the empty hand....in & out of play.
In my 'One Coin Routine', which I've performed for years, I use it now to get an extra coin in & out of play plus to load the jumbo. I have modified my device a bit to meet my needs...if I get time, I'll try & show it on the FB page in the future. You can see the routine below....and, as we all do, you can rewind and probably figure out what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqb-gBzX7Q

Anyways, mileage may vary with each user, but for me, as soon as this whole pandemic thing gets back to more normal (fingers crossed🤞 ) I'll have this on me at all times 😃
[quote]On Jan 7, 2022, Max T. Oz wrote:
Thanx Guazelli.
IMHO Livio's 'Thing' is brilliant in that it is so simple yet has many possibilities & applications. It is my fave device to explore and come up with ways to use it at the moment. By itself it is just a simple, easy-to-make device to load a coin but used with other sleights can help take a trick/routine to another level. For example, in The Miser's Dream' with a bucket, it is great device to get that 'extra' coin in the empty hand....in & out of play.
In my 'One Coin Routine', which I've performed for years, I use it now to get an extra coin in & out of play plus to load the jumbo. I have modified my device a bit to meet my needs...if I get time, I'll try & show it on the FB page in the future. You can see the routine below....and, as we all do, you can rewind and probably figure out what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqb-gBzX7Q

Anyways, mileage may vary with each user, but for me, as soon as this whole pandemic thing gets back to more normal (fingers crossed🤞 ) I'll have this on me at all times 😃 [/quote]

:thumbsup: