(Close Window)
Topic: Making Ball Droppers
Fakini sell ball droppers, but I want to make my own. No, I am not trying to avoid spending money, but rather my balls are only 1" in diameter, and Fakini doesn't make ball droppers that small. I've got the right size pipe, but what's the next stage? Any designs out there?

Bye for now

Harold
Hiya, Harold:

The Fakini ball droppers utilize a pretty slick mechanism, which, while admirable, is a bit of overkill IMO.

I use 38mm silicone rubber balls (The Party Store or Oriental Trading Company) for manipulation, about 1-3/8" or thereabouts. My 'dropper' is a sleeve or tube made of sateen or similar slippery fabric, with the lower end closed off by an elastic ring; the upper end, hemmed, is open and fastens to my jacket with safety pins.

True, I don't have the touch-and-release feature of the Fakini (you have to sort of squeeze the ball out of the tube), but there are no moving parts, nothing breakable, the size is customizable, and the cost was about a buck.

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
Yes, I've used the "sock" idea in the past, but I want to try the dropper for a change. The Fakini design is based on a shot dropper used for musket balls, so it is a well known "prop" (although it obviously wasn't designed for magical purposes) going back hundreds of years. Nonetheless, I was wondering if anyone had previous experience trying to make one.
Does fakini has a website?

Regards
No Fakine does not have a web site. He sells to dealers mainly. I posted his address and info before, but I have misplaced it, maybe you can do a search and locate the info I posted.
They are pretty affordable at most shops....

In fact, it may just be worth the price, rather than making your own.
No, I want a mechanical dropper for 1" and 1-1/8" balls. These are too small for the Fakini design.