(Close Window)
Topic: Phantom Block Penetration by Magic Wagon
Phantom Block Penetration 🎩 Expected release date is Monday 16 May

The performer shows a square wooden tube which has large windows at the front, back and at the top. A small stand which the tube sits on and a lid, along with a black wooden block and a solid brass rod are also shown. The block also has a hole running through it that corresponds to the holes in the sides of the tube. The performer now inserts the block into the tube, pushes the rod through the holes locking the block in place and then assembles the tube on the stand. Now, with the block remaining in full view, the performer merely pushes the lid against the top of the block and to the spectator’s surprise, the solid wooden block magically penetrates the brass rod and ends up visibly in the window at the bottom of the tube! The entire unit is then immediately turned upside down showing that there is no way the block could have passed though the rod as the block is seen to stop where it hits the brass rod. The block can now be removed and shown to be perfectly solid! It’s an incredible visual illusion.

Phantom Block Penetration has been inspired by the following previous creations: Edward Massey’s Miracle Block, Richard Resor’s Supreme Block Penetration and Bill Adams’s Bionic Block which is by itself an amazing mechanical marvel as the effect can be done with no manipulation of the block.

The mechanical method for this item is absolutely ingenious and it does not rely on magnets to do the work, yet the effect can be immediately repeated!

This is, unquestionably, one of the most deceptive and visual block penetrations ever created.

The wooden tube including the lid and stand measures approximately 6.6cms wide x 14cms high x 6.6cms deep and has been completely handcrafted from natural aged teak wood with a lightly distressed oil finish. The block measures approximately at 5.5 cms cubed which is big enough for stand-up shows, yet small enough for the close-up table.

Our special thanks to Mr. John M. Talbot for suggesting the ideas & consultations on this amazing piece of magic 👍

Many thanks to Tony Curtis for the nice illustration provided ⭐️
On that image it looks obvious how it penetrates purely by the lines on the Rubik’s cube type block. Gaz 😊
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 15, 2022 12:32AM)
I hate to say it but man Gaz I definitely agree. Now it could be that we're wrong but oh my gosh that really does smack of being obvious or at least I believe the audience will think that way too. But we may be wrong.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I am not very excited about this Magic Wagon release.
We are probably wrong Eric but as you say that will their be first thought and as we know them having a plausibly explanation of the method even if it’s wrong is not good imho. Gaz 😊
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 15, 2022 11:25PM)
That is my main concern. You know it is so funny because as you probably know I've been performing Twins quite a bit lately and there's been a couple of times when people thought there were magnets being used. Because of this I've even gone to using my right hand to perform this because my left hand I have my wedding ring on and I don't take that off. So you're right if they think they know the method even if it's wrong it can have a dampening reaction to the effect.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Magic Wagon Phantom Block Penetration available for 350 USD

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=214 👍
Much smaller than I expected it to be. Because of the size, I feel like the price is a bit high. And I agree, the lines make it obvious, even if the workings are different than what we think.
The mechanism inside the cube is really clever but I agree the design is likely to lead an audience to the solution.
⭐️ SOLD OUT ⭐️
So many comments without even the product on hand... how funny. I got mine, like every previous one regardless of any comment, always happy with each and every one. Obviously, my priorities when getting these items as a collector may be very different from everyone... but I still believe that people should wait to either receive or at least see a video of the prop before telling their side of the story, a pic is not enough.
Disappointed with this release. The block looks weird and is bound to raise questions in minds of spectators, the method would appear to be pretty obvious to most. However, as expected, it's beautifully constructed and would grace any display. I wouldn't consider buying this, as I have the amazing Houdini Block Escape, which gives no clue as to method and is truly magical.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 17, 2022 12:23AM)
I think part of the comments is not so much criticism as it is critiquing it. I have other effects that use very similar looking blocks and I believe part of the comments come from expecting a little bit more especially from Magic wagon. Not to say this is not a good product just not what the average person is used to seeing coming out of this particular maker of magic. But if you're a collector then you are buying it for a much different reasons than the average magician.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Absolutely Eric I agree and I as I repeat time and time again on here to deaf ears this thread is dedicated officially to speculation.
You do not have to own the effect to speculate and that’s what most people don’t understand.
I realise the likes of yourself understand this Eric.
Best wishes Gaz 😊
... almost like discussing how a dish of food tastes based on how it looks... you really need to try it before "speculating" on its taste, even if you are familiar with the ingredients... but hey, I am just one of the ones that do not understand the concept, so we are all good!. Let's continue speculating to kill some time.
There are other threads where you review the effects that’s the point of different sections of the Café. Best wishes Gaz 😊
Waiting for mine to arrive, have to say, I do like the look of it.
A well-known classic in a new guise, nice display piece

I like the look ⭐️ even if the effect is a bit obvious

Curious about block inspection by spectator
Any (in) real (life) reviews so far ?
Mine is on its way to me and I am a bit curious to see what it looks like in real...
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 18, 2022 04:33PM)
The food analogy is probably not the best one to use only because it is well known by chefs that presentation is absolutely vital to presenting a meal. I hope people don't look at this as a knock on this particular product. It's simply an observation that people who are in the know on certain magic effects have raised. But just like all magic wagon products this will probably be very collectible. But for people such as myself who do not necessarily buy magic just for its collectibility but for the practicality of the effect it could raise very real and reasonable questions as far as from a performance perspective. But I still believe this is a very worthwhile product to have especially if you are a collector.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Maybe this will help appease the appetites of all you who haven’t seen it!

[youtube]_ZJsNfGrDes[/youtube]

I genuinely think this is great and very deceptive. I think all of this chatter about it is over nothing.

Madison
[quote]On May 19, 2022, MadisonH wrote:
I genuinely think this is great and very deceptive. I think all of this chatter about it is over nothing[/quote]
I have noticed several entertaining snapshots in your funny video 🤣

Most entertaining communications are usually about nothing

I like the very dark wood block, great contrast to rod
Wow ! Thanks (again) Madison for the video. The performance is great. The item seems to be fair. My copy should arrive today. I am in a hurry ;-)
Unless the block is examinable, and it is not, then the method will be obvious to the spectator.
Spectator can inspect the block and nothing is movable or to hear ⭐️ Very good workmanship

[img]http://www.plasma7.de/64gks/MW214.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 19, 2022 12:59PM)
Depending on the method used to keep the block together it should be fairly difficult to simply pull it apart. But when placed just right and with the right amount of pressure should come apart enough to accomplish what is needed and then reconnect. I'm sure being magic wagon this will hold up to pretty good scrutiny. And of course Madison did a wonderful job as usual with his very entertaining video!

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On May 19, 2022, The great Gumbini wrote:
Depending on the method used to keep the block together it should be fairly difficult to simply pull it apart. But when placed just right and with the right amount of pressure should come apart enough to accomplish what is needed and then reconnect. I'm sure being magic wagon this will hold up to pretty good scrutiny. And of course Madison did a wonderful job as usual with his very entertaining video!

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

Thank you for the compliment.

But if you’re suggesting the cube comes apart in any way, you’re incorrect! Nothing comes apart.

Madison
[quote]On May 18, 2022, MadisonH wrote:
Maybe this will help appease the appetites of all you who haven’t seen it!

[youtube]_ZJsNfGrDes[/youtube]

I genuinely think this is great and very deceptive. I think all of this chatter about it is over nothing.

Madison [/quote]

Loved the demo Madison! I think this looks great!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (May 19, 2022 01:48PM)
Well Madison then I have nothing but hi kudos for this particular product! I now realize why they made the cube the way they did and it is absolutely ingenious. I am almost embarrassed because this is not only a method that fools laypeople but I honestly believe the design was made to fool magicians as well. It's been a while since I was actually the fish on the hook lol!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Sounds like maybe black art is at play here. Just speculation.
I have not received mine yet, but am curious whether a second phase can be introduced.

Here is my thought... prior to the penetration as shown, the magician would place the cube on the table, push the rod through the holes, then cover it with an opaque silk leaving the ends or the rod protruding from the sides. He then grabs the rod and pulls it up through the cube while pushing down with his thumbs. The audience can see the rod free itself from the cube. Penetration number one.

Now, the performer offers to up the ante and show the impossible in an even more impossible way... with the cube exposed, and the block untouched by human hands. The effect as shown in the video is now performed for penetration number two.

Of course if the props can't be prepared for a second penetration in front of the audience, or with subtle cover, then my suggestion is moot. Still, it would be awesome!
If this is the Resor/VikingCW design reimagined for the wooden tunnel and the lid being the motive factor, it is VERY clever. I wonder. :)

Julie
Hey Julie the inspiration for this is the Resor/Massey/Adams block and is credited in the copy and instructions.

Your idea should work Oz as no prep needed to the cube before or after the penetration. Hopefully will receive mine tomorrow to play... have a few ideas as well :) I have Bill Adams version of this idea (Bionic Block) and is a favorite in the collection.
I mentioned Viking/CW because George inherited original pre-cut parts for the Resor trick. In order for posterity to be able to differentiate between those he "manufactured" and the original Resor items (yellow painted blocks), he completed all his with a stained wood finish (no paint).

Julie
[quote]On May 19, 2022, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I have not received mine yet, but am curious whether a second phase can be introduced ?[/quote]
Is possible, but the silk cloth version can reveal something that is not problematic in the original version

You will know what I mean when you have the trick, for me the stand and top block have a function ...
With mystical insights I could finally activate the alien cube

[youtube]KH6-iBrDZig[/youtube]
Fantastic presentation! Your new ideas and additions go way beyond Madison's basic demo and elevate the effect.
The only issue I see, that laymen will wonder about, is....why isn't it a solid block? Why the weird rubick cube looking cuts all over the block? It takes away from the perception that it is a solid block.
I fully agree. Brilliant presentations, but the suspicious block always detracts from the magic - more of a puzzle as to how does the block work. But that's only my personal opinion!
As often happens with me when I critique an effect.......I oftentimes end up with a great idea using the very effect I critiqued! With a presentation I am working on, the Phantom Block would work perfect (as part of a larger routine). And the unusual look of the block fits right in.
I love the silent presentation.

Sometimes no words is the best. Seems to increase the drama, and doesn't bore the spec. listening to some contrived story.
It was funny to see how all those who jumped to conclusions about this effect were proven wrong...
[quote]On May 23, 2022, Raymond42 wrote:
I fully agree. Brilliant presentations, but the suspicious block always detracts from the magic - more of a puzzle as to how does the block work. But that's only my personal opinion! [/quote]

We have several "block off rope" type apparatus(es?), but from a practical performing standpoint, my favorite has always been the BLOK-KORD effect by Lyman Allen; ungimmicked block and one ungimmicked rope.

Julie
[quote]On May 21, 2022, Doric wrote:
Fantastic presentation! Your new ideas and additions
go way beyond Madison's basic demo and elevate the effect. [/quote]

Doric, thanks a lot ⭐ My wife was totally surprised & thrilled, examined the block and remained perplexed

However, threading the old Tibetan shoelace of my Lama through required some very deep relaxation ...
[quote]On May 19, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Spectator can inspect the block and nothing is movable or to hear ⭐️ Very good workmanship[/quote]

That's a bit misleading. I would never hand the block out for examination. It doesn't take much scrutiny to see that it's gaffed even if nothing moves or there is nothing to hear. Better off to leave them guessing.
[quote]On Jun 3, 2022, nickbtx wrote:
[quote]On May 19, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Spectator can inspect the block and nothing is movable or to hear ⭐️ Very good workmanship[/quote]

That's a bit misleading. I would never hand the block out for examination. It doesn't take much scrutiny to see that it's gaffed even if nothing moves or there is nothing to hear. Better off to leave them guessing. [/quote]

I agree...
[quote]On Jun 3, 2022, magic11ryan wrote:
I agree... [/quote]

I disagree, I have done it several times and it was not a problem

However, with other tricks it may be partly more true ...
@Magic Dust, Nice presentation! You've got some good ideas and you made it your own.

Over the years I've bought a lot of effects like this that end up on the shelf, never to be enjoyed, but I have a feeling that won't be the case with MW's Phantom Block Penetration. The more time I spend with this prop, the more I enjoy performing it. Somewhere I read that performing this, "looks and feels like real magic." I completely understand what that writer was saying. It's very satisfying when the magic happens. :-)

A couple of things I've learned: rapping the block sharply against the table is convincing and a small, discrete, pencil mark on a certain something makes handling much smoother.
[img]http://tonycurtismagic.com/images/magicwagon.jpg[/img]

The updated Magic Wagon complete original retail price list including Phantom Block Penetration can be viewed or downloaded here.

[url=http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/magicwagonorginalpricelist.pdf]Click Here[/url]

Tony
[quote]On Jun 8, 2022, Tony Curtis wrote:
[img]http://tonycurtismagic.com/images/magicwagon.jpg[/img]

The updated Magic Wagon complete original retail price list including Phantom Block Penetration can be viewed or downloaded here.

[url=http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/magicwagonorginalpricelist.pdf]Click Here[/url]

Tony [/quote]

Thank you, Tony. I know this has got to be a labor of love.
As always, thank you Tony.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to both sellers and buyers if there was a formula for determining the reasonable markup for items being offered for sale. A good starting point may be twice the original selling price. Then, some would be more valuable and some even less valuable depending on the rating of the release.

IMO, no Magic Wagon release should ever be worth less than the original selling price.

Thoughts?
Currently there are some Magic Wagon items for sale on The Magic Café for less than the original retail price. Obviously the earlier released items are now commanding a premium along with the ones that were produced in limited numbers.

Tony
I'm not surprised items are currently selling for less than the original retail price. There's a cost of living crisis.

If people are able to hold onto their pieces they will increase in value over the longer term.
I don't think there can ever be a formula for any collectible, as it ultimately comes down to the old law of supply and demand. Some Magic Wagon props are more desirable because of the immediate and long-lasting reviews and praise they garnered long after the excitement of the original release. Then, as Doric mentioned, add in the economic factor and the supply and demand scale is heavily askew with Magic Wagon owners potentially seeking funds but finding no buyers, as fewer and fewer collectors have disposable cash. Chalk one up to little demand and too much supply, and we must all remember not to speculate by investing in magic for any kind of predictable return.

Conversely, when I look for new or slightly used commercial props here on the Café, I expect to see at least a 10 - 20% discount off of the original retail price with free shipping (U.S. to U.S. customers). For collectibles, I don't mind paying more than the original retail price if it's a prop I'm looking for, and I never begrudge a seller for asking more than she or he paid for that reason. He may not get the asking price, but he is certainly entitled to ask. The Café doesn't allow bidding, so asking for more money than one is expecting to receive is the only way to get a reasonable return on one's "investment." Interested buyers can always PM the seller and negotiate a mutually agreed upon price.