(Close Window)
Topic: David Roth - The Purse and the Glass
I just saw this routine and I love the way it looks. The only problem is I never perform sitting. I've seen ways to do 3 coin changes at a time using edge grips (Gary Kurtz), but that's too angly. I've also seen Curtis Kam's The Goblet, which I liked, but that eliminates the need for the glass and the coins are all in the hands at once and not one at a time in the hand.

Does anyone know a source that could teach me a way to duplicate a very clean coin change as in Roth's routine, but without lapping?
A gaffed coin will get you a clean look
That is very true. In fact, a flipper and an expanded shell would give me an even cleaner look. Thanks.
The cleanest no lap routine that I have seen was the one Geoff Latta did at the COINvention. No glass, just a squat little purse. The coins changed one at a time, and surgical cleanliness was a strong feature. I understand the routine will appear in his lecture notes and in the upcoming book, both of which have been missing for so long I expect to see their pictures on the backs of milk cartons.

Gary Kurtz's "Penny Lane" also is a standing glassless routine, but it doesn't use edge grip as far as I know. It's in the final year of Richard's Almanac, and probably easier to find in the bound edition. Is this the routine you mentioned?

Other than these, I can't think of any other routines that have been published. Most guys I know have worked out standing handlings one way or another, but they seldom see print. Consider all the "Wildcoin" routines in COINMAGIC and other sources. Most Wild coins can become Purse and Glass routines with a little fiddling.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 22, 2004 04:18PM)
Aside from the fuss of the trick...if you can say WHY you want to do the trick, and WHAT context / presentation / motivates the trick... will offer some help.
Jonathan....this is a Magician's forum...I don't think those sort of questions are very appropriate.

:lol:
I just love that effect. I've never put any time into learning it but it's a joy to watch. The explanation is almost as much fun to watch as well.

The guy is a genius.

He kind of reminds me of me!

:)
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 22, 2004 06:49PM)
Yes, the explanation of all that stuff happening, from the move to (not) put coins in the purse, to all that traffic management on the table... quite entertaining.

Really, the trick is okay. The explanation is entertaining. Sort of 'look how clever I am if you only knew...' kind of thing.

So, aside from the ego issue, what do you like about the trick?

Like the purse? The glass? Something?
[quote]
Gary Kurtz's "Penny Lane" also is a standing
glassless routine, but it doesn't use edge grip as far as I know. It's in the final year of Richard's Almanac, and probably easier to find in the bound edition. Is this the routine you mentioned?
[/quote]

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to Gary Kurtz's Misty Like A Dream act from his Creating Magic video.
One thing I got from the routine which I have found very useful is the recessed shot glass for your half dollar. It's a near perfect hiding place, spectators can be right on top of you and not notice it. I use this for coin work at bar situations often. I don't know if that is originally D. Roth's idea or not but its a good concealment illusion. Not to ditch, but to steal.
John Carney takes advantage of the hiding aspect of a rocks glass in his routine with the glass and napkin from Carneycopia.
Kurtz' routine doesn't use 'the edge' but, it does require some lapping. Good routine though.

Thanks,
Lee