(Close Window)
Topic: How did you do that?
I'm sure everyone has been asked this at some point.

What is your comeback? I am into this one at the moment.

Spectator: How did you do that?

Kukram: It was all done with camera tricks.

Got anymore?

Kukram :)
You can find some answers to these questions at these threads:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=13419&forum=27
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=26748&forum=106
A MUCH better link is:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=67894&forum=2

Because I started it myself :)

-Niko
My common responses - tongue firmly in cheek - are:

"I have absolutely no idea!",

and,

"Really, really well!"

;)
I sometimes say, "Basically, an opaque material put in immediate juxtaposition to a force of entry will of necessity permit the insertion of said force without substantial injury to either participant." That line, which is straight of a 1970's Tannen's catalog, always gets a deer-in-the-headlights kind of look and I just continue with the next effect.
"None of your business" seems to work for me. It usually gets a good laugh. :devilish:
I have a simple answer:

It's magic!
Just show them the trick by doing it yourself :D
LOL at Larry.
I have a tendency to say: Well, I practice a lot.

This is the truth, and doesn't come off arrogant or self-important such as "Very well, thank you"
and it also doesn't make them look stupid, as "Can you keep a secret? So can I!" Does.

I hate both of the aforementioned comebacks. Eugene Burger does as well. I think there was an article on this a while back.
I uaully say "i have no idea it has never worked before!" and then give them one of those big winks. It usually gets a laugh and they don't press the issue!
I usually say " I didn't"
I go at this two ways; first, I will put the "how did you do that" theme into my patter to begin with...also, sometimes I will give this line: "first time is magic, second time is a lesson"
I usually say after the "How did you do that?" reation..

"I can't believe it worked on my first trial"..

or I say

"It's all magic. Do you want to learn? I give lessons."

hehe..another way to earn some bucks.. :)
That's great larry.

Bit of a mouthfull for me.

I may as well just tell them how I did it... lol

kukram
"I am a magical being"

"I practice the Dark Arts"

"I studied the ancient Azagthoth texts, and bore my soul to the abyss to learn that feat of magick."

"The Black Goat of the Woods with A Thousand Young revealed it to me in my most feverish dreams"

and for something really narcissistic:

"For you have seen the sun and been blinded by its radiance"

Maybe you can tell I've read a little Lovecraft in my day.

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 12:21pm
Larry, your answer is PRICELESS
My reply fits my playful "mess with the audience" persona. Feel free to use it...what the heck, I stole it from a catalog!!!!

Larry

P.S. - If you want a chuckle instead of a deer-in-the-headlights look from the audience, you can follow the nonsensical reply with a sarcastic, "Any other questions?" or "Of course, you probably already knew that" and then smile.
Zombieboy hit the nail on the head. Responses like "very well thank you" and "I could tell you what I have to kill you" are rude. It's one thing to top a rude remark, but to have an obnoxious comeback to a genuine question simply distances you from your audience. It basically says " I'm on autopilot".
Hi I have some which I have collected from different places. Hope you enjoy!

Responses to “I know how you did that”

· "I know how you did that" Response: " I knew first!"
· "I know how you did that" Response: " I already know. I don't want them to know so keep it under your hat."
· You know how it's done, and I get paid to do it!
· "if I tell you that you're wrong then you'll keep guessing, and if you get a right guess then I'd either have to lie to you or admit that you're right. So I'll just let you think that you got it figured out."
· "...you certainly have hit upon the right idea. But please, do not talk with other people about it, because I like to protect my secret."
· "Well don't tell them now, sell it after the show"
[quote]
On 2004-07-27 22:57, NoahJLevine wrote:
Zombieboy hit the nail on the head. Responses like "very well thank you" and "I could tell you what I have to kill you" are rude. It's one thing to top a rude remark, but to have an obnoxious comeback to a genuine question simply distances you from your audience. It basically says " I'm on autopilot".
[/quote]

And I think he missed the nail completely. With respect to these lines, it's not [i]what[/i] you say, it's [i]how[/i] you say it (your attitude, facial expression and voice inflection) and how it fits your performing persona.
I just say with years of practice. It usually gets a laugh.
[quote]
On 2004-07-27 22:57, NoahJLevine wrote:
[/quote]

It really depends on the character you are. For example, my response of "None of your business", may seem rude. However, with my character, it fits perfectly. To come back with something witty or playful would be wrong. :devilish:
[quote]
On 2004-07-28 21:08, dpe666 wrote:
It really depends on the character you are.
[/quote]

Bingo.
My personal line...

"I don't know how it works, I'm just glad it does."
- Ron Calhoun
How about, "I'll let you know when my book comes out."
Tom
One of the things we have to remember is that the reply needs to fit our character, and to put them across without sounding arrogant. Another thing you could do is smile and apppear mysterious and if they persist then give them one of the replys
I make a mysterious grin, with my index finger I point my head and say it's all in the mind. Or sometimes I just shrugged and look far away. On with the next trick...
Honest truth:
When I was working as a stage assistant, the magician was very personable and always did autographs and talked to the audience after shows.
Hearing that question over and over, he decided - as an experiment - to begin answering with the absolute truth. Not a detailed explanation, just something like "The pen had two caps, and I switched them."
The usual reaction? "Nuh-uh! Come on. Really, how did you do it?"

People are so funny.
Spectator: How did you do that?

1) Very carefully.
2) That time? Backwards.
3) What? ... What?
4) Pretty good I thought.
5) It's a secret.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 21, 2004 08:09PM)
Uh... I was trying to turn that pack of cards into a live chicken, but I'm glad you liked what happened anyway.
That's a very interesting question! My wife, who's seen my act hundreds of times, always asks, "WHY do you do that?"
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Oct 22, 2004 06:11PM)
(severe, suspicious look; answering calmly and evenly)
I did NOT make the 'unspeakable promise' to He Who Must Not Be Named.

Steve
"By taking my vitamins and saying my prayers".