(Close Window)
Topic: I give up doing magic
I had a show last saturday. the circumstances were
very bad. it was outside, about 50 people, and almost
50 per cent couldn`t really hear me, because I had no microphone. I felt very uncomfortable! I started my show,
(mentalmagic) and what happened was this: I totally
**** up my first effect. Silence, some people were
laughing, I heard one people say: hey, what a great
magician! I couldn't handle that situation; inside I was dying, but I tried to stay cool, and I went on with my show. today it`s Thursday and i`m still embarressed. one of the worst days in my life. Maybe I should stay with my music and try another hobby!
Hi kiki.
I don't think giving up on magic is the right thing to do, though if that is what you strongly feel is to be done then its ur decision.
How long have you been doing magic?
Basically, a magician, a mentalist or any stage performer for that matter must be skilled in stagecraft more than anything else. You should have checked with the venue for sound equipment and lighting prior to your performance. Also messing up an effect happens when it is not rehearsed well. I know several people who visit a magic shop in the morning, buy a few tricks, put up a show in the evening and that's it... end of story. If you are one of them, that is not the right thing to do. Take effects that you already have and work on a script. You need to connect with the audience. You must ejoy what you do for your audience to like it. Thoroughly rehearse your repertoire and then routine them. Tie them all up with a good script. Add music to it and have a character that suits you. I read somewhere that a kid onstage discovered the secret to one of Copperfield;s effects and said it aloud. DC's reaction? He said "thats why I don't do Birthday parties" and went on with it.
Handling hecklers is an art in itself.
The first few minutes you are onstage, you must be able to take the audience on to your side. If you don't connect to them mentally and physically, there is no use.
Think about all this and also think about what went wrong and see if it can be rectified. Decide later.
Feel free to P.M me if you need any further assistance.
Cheers mate
All performers have a bad prformance every so often. Good planning is essential. Being prepared and having your material down cannot be overemphasized. Look at this as a learning experience. Don't beat yourself up over it...it happens. Keep working on it and it will improve. However, if you feel you need to quit magic becuase of one bad performance, that is certainly your option. If it were me (and it has been when I have sung) I would be even more determined and keep plugging away. But that is my personal makeup. I don't know what you're made of, so I can't comment on that, I can only tell you from my perspective.

I wouldn't make it a hasty decision. Think about it and look at the experience in a rational manner, and weigh the pros and cons of staying with magic or leaving. Think about your motivation of pursuing the art of magic in the first place. If you do this, it will become more clear as to what path you should follow. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.
Dying on stage is a given for everyone who has the guts to get up and perform. If it hasn't happened to you, it will. If you want to perform, be it for a living or for fun, you must GET PAST IT!! Figure out how to prevent what happened then from happening again and move on with your performing. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and do not let fear make your decision for you.

Samuel
I had a terrible show a couple days ago, where because of a prop malfunction, the secret to one of my effects was exposed! It was completely embarrasing and I can relate to you on this one. When I had that bad show, I had another show to do directly after the bad one, and I stopped, composed myself, and literally said aloud to myself "I'm going to have an awesome show now to make up for that bad one". And you know what? I had an awesome show after that! Just look at it as a lesson learned. I doubt you will ever mess that effect up again, because you will now know the importance of rehearsing the effect over and over and over, etc. You certainly learn more from a bad show, than a good one, so learn from this, keep practicing, tighten up your show, and do better the next time.

Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. Look at what he, and the world, would have missed if he gave up on basketball!
Thanx for the kind words. I know my next show will be great!!! kiki
I had a show like once. And you know what, I learned more from that show than from any other show I've ever done.

Looking back, I think that, had I not done the show, I would not be as good a performer as I am now. Learn from your mistakes, it really works.
I hate it when I see magicians say, "I give up doing magic"...you cannot count the number of times I've said that in over thirty five years...

The worst thing, was a Zombie that went "bad", in front of a theater audience of over 300...you cannot imagine the ice-cold feeling...the dead silence, followed by laughter...in an act that is supposed to be mysterious, and spooky...egad! The horror I still feel when I think about it. That happened in 1979.

Ten years went by, before I even THOUGHT of even picking up a SILK! I got over it, though. I've had various reasons (Masked Magician Valentino, for one) for saying that since then, but alas...I have found I can NEVER give up magic.

After this long, it becomes PART of you! :bg:

Doug
Hey,

I feel for you... but the fact is we all have stuff go wrong in our shows... I've seen Copperfield mess up, LIVE... He hasn't given up... Why should you?

The show must go on is the way it's said right?

A mistake is only a mistake if you don't learn from it yeah?

"The Glory is not in never falling. It's in getting up everytime you fall."

:)
Hey, as they say "What'll go wrong will go wrong". It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes it does happen. I've had things gone wrong in my shows but over time I've found some useful ways to counter that. Here're some tips to help you:

1. Practise a trick enough. Sometimes it's because we tried to perform something without mastering it first.

2. Always do a prop check before shows, especially on stuff that can wear out like IT, rubber bands, springs, knots, batteries, motors, electronic stuff, etc. Replace them before they are really worn out.

3. Always have a few backup tricks. If something goes wrong, turn it into a joke like: "Ok, who's the joker who mess with my props backstage?" (it takes a bit of acting to make it look like it's a part of your routine) then quickly follow with "Now here's the real magic trick" and do your backup trick. If your backup trick goes wrong, do your next backup trick (Hope it doesn't come to this).

4. Eat a good meal before your show. Your wits are sharper and your mind works better with a full stomach. :)

Magical Regards,
Alex Tsui
My wife and I were doing our sub trunk on stage in front of 400 people...When I got on top of the trunk( after the switch I lost my footing and fell behind the trunk..It hurt like heck...But I realized what happend and while I was behind the trunk I desided to mess my hair up, pull on my cloths...ect...when I came back up I looked like a truck hit me...LOL it was very funny and a complete cover up. So after saying this,,,,DON'T give up on magic, just remember things happen and be prepared for the mistakes as well. A good friend told me to reherse my mess ups so when they happen I will be more prepared. Needless to say if I fall off the trunk again I have a funny way to cover it up....But I haven't fallen since then....Thank god cause it really hurt...LOL

Tpdmagic
I did a show years back. No curtain. So a stage hand set my table, only he did a half turn as he placed the table.
Enter the magician. Smooth so far. Appearing cane, top hat production. Top hat, goes on the table.
Onto my cigarette act. The ashtray aka Rings-N-Things trigger lite dove pan is preloaded with lighter fluid.
Remember the table? I tossed the match into the pan, instantly igniting the lighter fluid.
Without pause the audience (many of them magicians) shouts; "Your Hat... Hat, Hat... Your Hats On Fire!
I knew the hat wasn't on fire, but my encore trick was shot.
With the fire at my back, I let it burn and proceeded with a fury of cigarette productions.
Return the audience, wide eyed and persistent, "Your hat is on fire, watch your hat... That's not a cheap hat... Someone get some water."
The hat was fine.
Upstaged by fire. I grabbed the piping hot flaming pan, juggling it off stage as I blistered my hands. My hands went into a champagne bucket filled with ice water... where they spent the rest of the evening.
But, I've seen worse.

Kregg
Don't give up Kiki!!! I've made tons of terrible, embarrassing speeches and presentations in the past. That was before I was used to public speaking. I wanted to give up so badly... but I didn't, and things kept getting better from there. If you're able to survive through those tough moments, you'll be more capable of performing with confidence in the future. For now, think of how much significance this will have a year from now. Or five years from now. I've flubbed up on stage in front of thousands, but I could care less right now. Most people will have forgotten about it long before you have, so lighten up on yourself! ;) It's easier said than done, but it is true. It's the nature of people to care about themselves. When you went to bed that night, you were probably thinking about the performance. I would bet that mostly everyone else was thinking about themselves instead. Don't worry about the little mess-ups; they have less significance than you think, and they happen to everybody! :)

Angela
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 21, 2004 05:53PM)
I've had two absolute DISASTER shows in my career; one at a playground for the recreation commission, and one for a frat rush party. It happens. Stacked against the many 'good' shows and the memorable 'top-of-the-world' shows, the disasters seem negligible.
Hang in there. As the late Frank Sinatra said, "The Best is Yet to Come."
Steve
The only way to avoid messing up is through experience.

What is experience? Messing up!

Yours,

Paul
Giving up magic was a stupid idea, I know! but the first 2 weeks after that terrible show I didn`t even pick up a deck of cards!
but now I have new energie to go on and I will, of course! greetings kiki
Howdy!
I was still am in your spot Kiki two years ago, I did the same thing didn't work as much on my act. Acted like I was the man and I didn't need practice. I went to that show, blew it badly, the dj didn't have a cd player so he played his music, made me feel very strange. Then While I was performing my Manipulation act. The Groom spoke and said, I can see everything. I was like smiling. Then I ran off stage. Every expected me to be good the ish the best! Nope I was a kid new to magic.

After that show I just quit, I never picked up a deck of cards since then. Until 6 Months ago at a poker game, did a few card tricks and boom! It was home for me once agian! I regret my decision on quitting. But now I feel great! Just don't quit it's a experience =) But good for you, for not quitting!

Kevin Vu
Renton,Wa

P.S. I'm going to regret postiing this haha.
Sorry for the typos =( I'm really really sorry...

Kevin Vu
Renton,Wa
"One bad show leads to a better good show"

Candini 04
That was something that my mother always worried about while I performed magic was me screwing up. I do comedy magic and I tell you, the spoken word is a great way to cover things up. I would say, "well that is the first time that has ever happened again." The audience would laugh and I would move on. I think that is the key, just moving on with the show like nothing happened.
Ive had times where jokes that worked for one audience didn't work for another, I thought about rewriting the whole show. But when Ive done the show so many times and that audience died on me, I just think that the audience is at fault not me and I keep doing the same lines...remember too each audience is different.

Good luck Kikki, You will make it. Also remember to have fun yourself, that is the key to having fun with what you do.
Kiki, everyone has a lousy show. At least yours was for 50 people instead of 5,000!!
The key to performing shows is doing shows. Magic in performance is a lot like sports. You have your wins and sometimes you lose.

My Dad the late Billy Bishop used to say the difference between a pro and others in magic was 200 shows...

With each show you get better and you and your magic get better...

Now get back in there and bomb again...

And if you keep at it you will get good. It is only a matter of time and working hard and doing it.

And I might add you rarely learn anything when you do a good show. It is only the bad shows and the hard audiences that everyone has to go through - that you really learn how to perform magic.

So get back in there!
[quote]
On 2004-08-29 17:00, bishthemagish wrote:
And I might add you rarely learn anything when you do a good show. It is only the bad shows and the hard audiences that everyone has to go through - that you really learn how to perform magic.

So get back in there!
[/quote]

Very well stated!
You can only get better. The only way is up.
Nick
How many people do you know that fell on their *** the first time they tried to ride a biclycle? How many people do you know that quit trying because of that fall?
Kiki-Keep at it!!!

Theres some great advice & experiences mentioned above!!

Weve all been through it-Trust me!!

Write down what you did at the show-Also write down a checklist of things to do before your next show-checking venues ,sound etc way in advance
Only perform your best material!!-some of which can only be performed in certain conditions -soon you will have an act with good well rehearsed effects & a great checklist built up through "experience" that will ensure most shows run well

The key here is that word--Experience -it only comes from doing shows

The fact you raised this on the forum means you are keen to keep going

Keep at it & Learn - Cheers!!!
Always keep a gross of 260's on hand!

It happens to everybody. Don't sweat it!

Cheers! ;)
I hate it when it happens, don't you? However, it does happen but magic must go on!
I have messed up many times. I never wanted to quit doing magic. I have dropped tricks from my show because I messed them up though. My first trick I ever did was from an old Adams magic set. It was a rubber ball attached to a ring I wore. I would hold the ball up to my classmates and flip my hand out and the ball would slide behind my hand and look like it dissapeared. I did the trick in front of my 7th grade class and flipped the ball... and the ball flew across the room. The whole show and magic set belonged to my friend and I was his "helper". I begged him into letting me perform just one trick during his show and you guessed it... I messed it up!
I once had a drama professor in college tell me "If you're going to fail, then fail boldly!" That was some of the best advice I've ever gotten. If you get on stage more than a few times, chances are you're going to make an ass out of yourself at least once. It happens to everyone. It ain't the end of the world, trust me.
To give up would be to waste the many things you have learned from the bad experience. Nothing like personally messing up to help you remember what not to do! Story of my life :)

And I liked the comment given that good thing it was for 50 not 5,000! Now that's positive thinking. I like that.
I just came home from doing a few card tricks for some friends at a dinner party. I messed up on one that I really wanted to do well. I'm stil not sure what happened. But I put all the cards back together, reset in front of them, and tried again and this time it worked. They saw me fail the first time, knew what the trick was supposed to do, and yet, when I did it the second time and it worked, they still didn't understand why or how I had done it. Don't give up, roll with the mistakes and try try agian. I did two more tricks after the flub and floored them with my closer. hang in there.
Just remember, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

When I fail an effect, I go home, analyize why I failed, and work on that part of the routine. It is usually (for me) due to lack of practice. I practice, and vow to never let that particular mistake happen again.

No amount of practice can replace experience in actual performance, so you have to perform to perfect your routines.

Probably my biggest failure was performing the broom suspension to a packed house. She was fully levitated, and I was walking under her to show that there was nothing below her, and she fell on top of me. Everything went into slow motion, and everyone was laughing, I mean ROTF laughing. It was at that point, I looked up and thought to myself "laugh away, at least I'm up here, and you're not".

Hang in there.

Take care

Jason
When you fall off the bike, you got to get right back on. Never give up and before you know it you'll be pedaling your show all over town. The more times you get up there the easier it gets. And remember even the greats mess up sometimes.

Dan
Had a classic failure this week on an effect Ive done hundreds of times!!

After a silk effect with a volunteer-I was going to saw her using Visible sawing-I start off with a hand held saw & realise this aint powerful enough to do the business so I change to electric jig saw -as I turned it on the blade fell out-I played along with the effect & she realised I wasnt going to saw her afterall & helped her off stage-I finished with another routine!!

Never had this happen in rehearsal but the screw was loose due to a couple of warm up revs as we changed the power socket 2-3 times & had to recheck it still worked!!

Ive learnt a valuable lesson & am aware of it now!!

Murphys Law is always about & catches us all at times-Was funny though!
Don't give up man!!learn from your mistakes.as said before you learn more from mistakes than anything and this goes for everything and not just magic.dont be a quitter.
Okay Kiki...

Lots of folks here have given you encouragement to keep performing, but none have addressed the question of why you messed up so badly.

The first thing that you mention is that you were in front of a large, outdoor crowd, and you had no microphone. Why didn't you have a microphone? Did you not know before hand that the crowd would be large? Did you not know that you would be outdoors? Did you not ask ahead of time for the client to supply you with a microphone? If you didn't ask these questions, why didn't you? Is it a lack of experience on your part?

If the client couldn't supply a microphone, then as a professional (one who is taking paying gigs) you should have arranged to have one of your own. If you can't afford that, then perhaps you are taking on shows that you are not ready to take on yet. Start smaller.

You say that you totally messed up your opening effect. Why? How? Why would you plan to use an effect as an opener that has any chance of it failing? Again, is this a lack of experience? If so, once again, I think that you might be taking on shows that you are not yet ready to perform. Just because you know a lot of effects, doesn't mean that you are a professional calibre performer. You need a lot more experience, it sounds like. There are lots of charity organizations, house parties, etc., where cost is an issue, and where you could perform to iron our all the kinks in your performance, and where it wouldn't be such a disaster if things went wrong, until you learn the right way to do things.

Learn to walk before you run. Along the way, you will build up knowledge and confidence, and you might not run into the same difficulties when the stakes are high.

- entity
Screw ups? I've had my share! But time heals all. Just keep on trying and learn from the flub ups and you will be GREAT someday.
Pakar Ilusi, I'm just curious to hear about when you saw David Copperfield mess up live. I read an interview with him once where he said that something goes wrong in just about every show, but he's kind of learned to cover it up after doing the act so long. I also read a story online one time about him messing up the "Laser" illusion - someone had left a microphone cord in his path, and he tripped over it while he was split apart! The whole audience laughed. Now that would be crushing, considering the reputation he has to uphold.

You just have to go on. But I know how crushing it can be. One time I messed up one of my favorite coin tricks for a girl I had a huge crush on. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh WOW . . ." and I just sort of slinked away. I never showed her any magic again. I would have actually rather flubbed in front of a crowd of thousands than in front of her. But I eventually recovered and did that coin trick for many more people. Many of them loved it. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
Heyas!

My take on these sort of things, after performing for many years.
None of us want to mess up, but it happens to everyone from time to time.
Next time it happens, no matter what the outcome at the time, try to remind yourself of things like the fact that Walt Disney filed bankruptcy MANY times before he finally got it right. Sylvester Stalone was turned down over and over and over again when pitching Rocky to the powers that be. Edison tried and failed thousands of times before he finally made a working lightbulb. Neighbors called the guys in white suits on Ford when he was building prototypes of the automobile... etc...

Don't ever give up. No matter how bad it feels at the time.
Remember this quote from Shakespeare: [i]Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.[/i]
It's not the "screw up" that truly hurts us. 5 minutes later it's ancient history.
It's the "doubt" and "fear" that we feel afterwards that hurts us... that's what we have to learn to avoid... that's the real damage dealer... the guilt... the fear...

Next time you do a show... take a look at the little girl in the 4th row who is smiling and laughing and truly becoming lost in your magic. No matter what else happens... that's what matters... that's why we do what we do.

Just my opinion really, but it saddens me greatly to think of losing anyone from this brotherhood/sisterhood due to a mishap at a show. To err is human, to forgive is devine... forgive yourself... quick like... and go move some people with your magic, because you can and you will.
If it will make you feel any better Kiki, I've seen the best of the top pros mess up. I saw Dai Vernon blow a shuffle and send cards flying everywhere. I saw Lance Burton have three boo boos in his LV show, and you know, he still has that multi-million dollar contract. Uncle Harry related to me quite a few of his major goofs over the years, many very hillarious, unless , of course, like he was, ur the world's premiere magician a the time. It happens to everyone. If you do magic, ur gonna mess up some times. The late Monk Watson once told me that the first step to professionalism is learning to recover from a goof. I've blown my opener,closer, and everything in between. I've gotten up and "lost" a selected card in the deck for real, and had no clue of what it was. I've dropped gimmicks, flashed so bad a blind man could see it, and even forgotten what trick I was doing half way through it. We all blow it from time to time. We all recover. Learning comes from mistakes. With no mistakes you don't learn much.
Yep, reality sets in. Your not perfect. Perhaps music is the thing to do. But what if you hit the wrong notes? What if you get onstage and people start to leave? Well, what are you gonna do then? Give up again? Sounds like you need a better magical effect!! Impress them once and they will be back. Impress them twice and they will talk about you to their friends. Fumble once and no one will remember your name. Fumble twice and people will remember your name. So the secret is to impress them twice and move on!!!!

It first started off bad, by doing mental magic without a mic, to an audience that probably thought they were getting a microphoned magician. Well, next time, it would be best if you learned magic tricks that cater to different events and situations. No mic, do other stuff that doesn't need a mic.

There is street type magic that also does well in restraunts, going from table to table. If you don't have a mic then, don't do any talking and do a lot of sleigh-of-hand stuff. Got no stage, then stick to small in their face type magic. Got a stage, bring out the levitators, sawing in half type effects - grandious!!!

Every situation warrants a particular type trick. Learn by example.. go out and watch a few of the pros do it. Then gain back your confidence and walk right back onto that stage and fumble again, but this time make it into a joke and make people laugh. Could become part of your act. Jerry Lewis never had a problem looking the fool.

There is nothing more embarassing then to fumble and people don't laugh. If they did, it might turn your fumble into a enjoyable time. Make people laugh if you can and it will ease your tension too. Learn some quick jokes and watch what others do to get over the quiet times!!!

Above all, stick to it learning as much magic techniques and tricks as possible so that you can be ready for any situation. Only through experience will it get you through the tuff times.

And if it continues to happen to you, like I said above, it could be a new career move, fumbling magician!
Don't give up
The only way to avoid bombing is to never perform. What a boring life that would be.
even the funniest comics bomb from time to time. I often wonder when I perform two shows exactly the same why does one go over well and the other not. I have come to the conclusion that contrary to popular belief there is such a thing as a bad audiance.
Pete H.
P.S. although sometimes I just stunk.
Kiki, Jay Marshall, one of the funniest and most entertaining performers in history passed away earlier this year. On his closed coffin were two signs: "Lefty On Board" (for his partner, the glove puppet with the attitude) and the one that says it all: "This isn't the first time I've died."

Both were on the coffin at Jay's request.

Truer words...

No one in this business, and I mean this from the bottom of my worst bombed-out show, EVER goes through this business without flopping at some point.

Anyone who tells you differently is either a liar or has never performed for a real, live audience.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
I would recommend that you never perform... the same way again.

Examine what you did wrong,
were you not prepared technique wise?
presentation wise?
did you work on a presentation at all?
maybe you had hecklers that you did not know how to handle?
WHO'S FAULT WAS IT?

The only real way to learn is to perform... after you've practiced. But you MUST examine EVERY performance. You can't just perform the same way again and expect it to go better.

A magicians should be able to take risks an expect success and if you wanna quit everytime you don't like the reactions you get, maybe performing is not for you...If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Good Luck
Dying is easy - comedy <and magic> is hard.

The gods all know that I have had my share of bombed effects, especially when I first started.

I was doing a birthday party, once, and performed my Sword Thru Balloon. Three destroyed balloons in a row. I simply made some comment about how the stars were apparently not in their rightful places at this time.
I could not imagine what had gone wrong, for I try to be pretty meticulous about the working condition of my props (learning from experience). When I got home and carefully examined the sword, the tip had a hook on it that could only be felt - enough to pop every balloon presented to it. What had happened was that I was using a piece of aquarium tubing as a sheath for the blade, so that it would self lubricate. In transport, the tip had gone through the tubing and bumped into a hard object. After several minutes with some emery cloth, the blade was renewed, but how to keep this from happening again? The solution was a rigid sheath that would protect both the tubing and the blade. Looks much more classy and works a treat!

Speaking of the Sword Thru Balloon, here is a friendly word of advise:
NEVER use a balloon from the party!
I had thought that by using one of their balloons, it would prove that I was not using a special balloon, tape or anything of that ilk. I had not counted upon the birthday child thinking of that as a personal assault upon their party. I reached into my bag, asked what color she liked and produced a replacement of her favorite color.(ALWAYS carry extra balloons!).

Learning from yours, and other people's mistakes, is the mark of a true wizard ("wiz"=wise, "ard"=supposedly).

PS
I was not aware of the sticker on Jay Marshall's coffin. That is hilarious. I grok in fullness.