(Close Window)
Topic: "Completely Cold"
Does anyone have this trick? The majority of my effects are mentalism, and from the description I read of this trick, this trick sounds perfect.

Can anyone recommend or comment on this trick?

Thanks.
Umm...if you are talking about Knepper's Completely Cold manuscript, it's not a trick, it's a system. It's how to structure your reading dialogue to increase perceived hits, and how to follow the dialogue trail to get at stuff to reveal.

I think it is well worth every nickel IF you do readings, and don't know the system. You can study Sylvia Brown and see her slopping all over with these techniques.

If you DON'T do readings, you will find it intellectually stimulating, lightweight and overpriced.
In fact, it is not very popular among readers either. The people who seem to have found most value in it are speed seduction trainers.

It is not entirely without merit, and it is worth a read, but there isn't enough useful stuff in it to warrant paying that much for it.

/Bamba
I've heard that it's overpriced BS, which is usually expected from Kenton. :( Try to search for some cold reading material over at Hocus-Pocus.com :D
OR actually learn to give real readings instead of buying into the "cold reading" thing. It's easier, more efficient, and above all more honest.

Oh, and your books will be SO much cheaper,

/Bamba
I'm not sure how you can say the majority of your effects are mentalism, and then refer to everything else as a 'trick'

Completely Cold is a way of appearing to know things about someone as if you were a 'psychic reader', etc., but by using a simple method. It can be fairly convincing, but like most people, if you really want to convince people that you 'know' about them, read some of the good stuff

To do that, do a search on the Café.

Completely Cold is not a trick. It's a method for appearing to be a real 'reader', albeit a shallow one. This kind of thing is interesting and can be used with certain other effects - but used on it's own and out of context I'm not sure from what you said it's something you want to bother with.
The guy's a weak alias. Delete this thread.
Bambaladam, define real readings for me?
[quote]
On 2004-08-02 11:31, xtreme_mixers wrote:
Bambaladam define real readings for me??

[/quote]

"Real Readings" are far different from "Cold Readings", as they are recognized by the magic world. Plain and simple, find one primary divination system like Palmistry, Numerology or Tarot and LEARN IT! Ignore all the horse pucky the magic world has filled your head with and actually learn how to use the esoteric sciences associated with a given mode of divination.

Trust me, you will be surprised in relatively short time just how hard your hit and how accurate your readings will be, IF you learn the system and everything around it.

Most readers ultimately become familiar with several systems that they can use in tandem, sometimes in ways not obvious to the sitter. For an example, many "Psychics" do little more than basic Numerology on someone's name and possibly toss in some rudimentary Astrology. This is a typical "show off" technique when it comes to the novice.

The Pro, however, will not voice the obvious but rather, weave in information of this kind, as part of the spiel. They may do some Palm Reading and at the same time, pay attention to involuntary muscular reaction as they talk to the client (Muscle Reading). The list can get rather extensive, but I can assure you, only a very minor (less than 10%) amount of what the Real world Reader does, comes anywhere close to what magician's claim they do, use, etc.

Ignorance is only bliss for those that haven't the guts to do actual footwork and get their hands a bit dirty when it comes to specific issues of debate. It's that simple.

I've been involved with magic for over 35 years, 25 of those years I have worked as a Reader (my "Day Job"), so I think I know just a little of what I'm talking about.

Best of luck!
I'm with Osiris on this one, perhaps also extending my definition to include "true" clairvoyance and psychometry, etc. For instance, if practiced and learned as suggested by McGill and Butler.

/Bamba
Now really I must salute Kenton on this. It is a system where you do not need to have any knowledge (be it stock reading cards, numerology, etc.) but yets allow you do deliver a reading.

Let me repeat: DO NOT. It is based pretty much on this Wonder Words works. This booklet will teach you some words to use to convince people that you have just given them a psychic reading - you know what's troubling them.

As I said earlier (and you could have implied) don't expect to learn any stock reading lines from here. The system will prove useful if you combine with what you already know and perhaps amplify the accuracy of your reading by the use of words.

How practical it is its best you judge it by yourself.
I happen to like this, though I use it mixed with other techniques I've learned.

Anabelle
Annabelle,

You need to put up a site of your own. Your Avatar's are all nice to look at.

Why not a Mentalist/Photo web site to promote yourself.

You have it going on, girl.
Hello.
I recall when I first purchased "Completely Cold".
It filled a huge gap for me, as I was just beginning to transition from sleight-o-hand trickster, to mentalist.
All I needed was something to allow me to give a quick and modest reading, during the performance of an actual effect.
Well, Completely Cold worked perfectly for this, and I think that this is what most are forgetting.
It is NOT designed to make you a "reader", but rather, to give some BRIEF readings within the framework of something bigger.
I must also add that, when I finally got around to learning how to do a full "read", it was much easier, having built a little confidence and experience using Knepper's little system.
I hope this will help you. I felt like it was money well spent, and a perfect segue into deeper aspects of this art.
PS: I second Renzo. I don't know about putting up a site, sounds a bit crude, but I have have been a secret admirer of Annabelle for a while too. Definitely not hard to look at, and a woman that has been cursed with the same love for this art as I myself, is terribly fascinating! LOL
Cheers,
J.Warrens
[quote]
On 2004-08-04 06:13, J.Warrens wrote:
It is NOT designed to make you a "reader", but rather, to give some BRIEF readings within the framework of something bigger.
J.Warrens
[/quote]

Whilst I fully agree with you it has to be pointed out that this is NOT how Completely Cold was marketed. I have no idea how it is marketed these days but when it was first released it was very much marketed as all you'd ever need to do readings, which I think was slightly naughty and largely what has contributed to the controversy over the product.

Regards,

David.
Hi, David!
Nice to see you again.
You are absolutely correct about the type for the marketing.
I was just making sure that I was giving an absolutely honest answer to the gentleman who made the original inquiry.
I believe I have been thoroughly honest.
Notice the usage of "ly" words- - LOL!
Cheers,
J.Warrens
Hi J.W,

Yes, and you know your honesty will lead to better solutions for us all!

Regards,

David.
LOL.
Thanks, David. LOL
Cheers,
J.Warrens
I learned cold reading the more triditional way, like some of the guys have said,I know the real tarot systim, palmestry and astrology, when I turned to mentalis I bought some cold reading books out of interest, Ian Rowlands knocked me flat, every thing he said I was already doing even the statements I gave were with in his frame work and I was sure I had come up with those myself, like asking people if they had been to other readers. I have ordered Kentons work, to add to my archive of knowledge, I'm a *** good cold reader and I want to be the best there is.
I'm sure Kentons work can only add to my skill.
J.Warrens,

I didn't mean anything vulgar. Just a site to
get a better look at what Annabelle does.

If you're going to be a pro, you need to promote yourself, and the web is a great
place for clients to go look what it is you may do. I'm working on a new site as
we speak.

I promise J, no nude pics. LOL.

Oh, yes.

P.S. I am falling in love, so shoot me.
I had to read for some "real psychics" as one of many tests for a psychic phone line. CC got me the job! Maybe I was just lucky, but I trust the system and continue to use it along with all of the other reading skills I worked so had to find and perfect.

Dave.
The system works, but if you don't have full or at least partial cold reading knowledge you can be caught with your panths down. I don't know how maney times I've had someone say, so does the girl fancy me?

I'm afraid that a lot of jargon and half answers will simply not do for this sort of person. The system will make you more convincing, but from time to time you get the cold reading blocking client who will stay quiet while you prattle on. At times like this the system falls flat. These people know you are pumping for info and will not give any other response, not even a yes or no. You might get a go on from them.

Don't get me wrong. The system will greatly help you already learn skills and will help you give a tiny reading with a talkative person using the system along, but as a professional I simply couldn't see how this system alone could function for a sustained period.

In saying that, overpriced as it was, I'm glad I got it, though first-timers might be pretty annoyed with it.
I have commented on this subject many times on this forum, and I guess I'll do it again. My experience in the craft of psychic readings comes from over two decades of successful professional application in the areas of psi parties and corporate functions.

Unfortunately, much of what is available on this subject on the magic/mentalism market is pretty useless to anyone with the desire really to develop the skills needed to perform successfully credible psychic readings. In my opinion, some of the worst material would include dreck like Completely Cold which purports to offer a linguistic shortcut to convincing readings. There are no shortcuts to learning much of what you need to know to excel in this craft.

The true secret to credible, successful readings is a sincere life-long interest in understanding people and their situations in life, a thorough background in sociology and psychology, an overall familiarity of occult lore and specific methodologies involving divination, and a desire to put the well-being of your clients first. And it doesn't hurt to be well-based in the performance arts and the concept of showmanship.

But most of all, you should actually like people and sincerely care about them.

Joe Z.
Completely Cold is not bad. It would have made a nice chapter in a larger book, or an interesting essay in a magazine. If it was $10 I would recommend it.
I agree with much of what Joe Z says, but there is a kind of irony with Completely Cold in that it IS advertised as the ultimate readings short cut but the very people looking for such a thing are unlikely to put CC to good use. The very people who WILL and DO put it to good use are the more life-experienced guys who sincerely want to help people.

Regards,

David.