(Close Window)
Topic: Coin shell
Is there any possible way to make a coin shell?
Of course, Johnson, Sasco, and many others have been making them for years. :P
Yes, or there wouldn't be coin shells on the market.
Rumours have it that you can also find them at the seaside...
... well only if you can find her and then if she will let you buy them. ;)
No, I mean if I could make one by myself. Without sarcasm please, I'm new.
Guys, we should not refer to a gaff by it's full name, especially when the name might reveal too much about the workings of the gaff.

I'm guilty of using the full names of several gaffs sometimes, but I'm just making a suggestion. Personally, I prefer using " ] " to describe the mentioned gaff.

Just my $0.02

Brad
[quote]
On 2004-08-04 22:18, jebahan wrote:
No I mean if I could make one by my self, without sarcasm please I'm new
[/quote]

O.K. I sincerely apologize. I just couldn't resist, I knew what you meant. I can speak about the other guys, they were just having fun too (I think).

I suppose you could make your own shell if you have the proper equipment, but I think the feds would not approve of it (though obviously many companies have them, I think that few individuals do).

One thing that immediately came to mind when I read your intial post was a gag my uncle pulled on me when I was young. He took a piece of aluminum foil, molded it against a quarter, took the quarter away, and placed the foil on the ground for me to find. It looked just like a quarter.

I am not exactly sure what this says about me, but to this day, I am excited to find a quarter laying around. I remember how had I felt when my uncle laughed at me as I discovered the foil wasn't a quarter. I am laughing as I write this remembering. This uncle is also who taught me 3 card monte, the shell game, and fast and loose... and he was not a magician.

Actually, thank you for posting this... I am going to incorporate this aluminum foil gag into something I do somehow.
The skills required to make a good shell are similar to the skills that Tiger Woods has in Golf. I search out the masters in magic to learn from, as well as the finest coin gaffers to get the best tools. This allows me concentrate on the effect not on the creating the gaff. This focus has made me a better entertainer. 30 Years of experience has make me think like this.
Jwilder, that is funny! I gotta try that on my little cousins.

as for making your own gaff, you would most definitely need a lathe at the bare minimum and some great machining skills.... at least that is how I would make one.
From what I hear making a good, useable one is a lot of work, skill, and machinery.
Tom
Sorry from me too =/

as markyeager said, it is possible to make one yourself, provided you do have the equipment, the knowledge and the skill and experience to do so. you might as well build yourself a watch or an airplane from scratch... but it's probably easier, cheaper and better if you buy them from someone who's good at making them.
The better question is how to make a ] that fits over a coin. The basic machining to make a ] is almost obvious by inspection of the problem. The extra steps to make an e] are a bit more subtle. Please ask the question in a way that suggests your level of expertise.
If you have to ask the question, you do not have the machinery or skill level to make a shell. Even if you did have the tools and skill needed to make your own shell, I suspect it would not be cost-effective for you to do so. You can buy a decent one for less than $40.

For making some other gaffed coins, you may want to check out Steve Dusheck's Coin Magic book.

Cheers,

Tiki
I already made 1. I tok a large stick of chewing gum, chewed it for a bit, pressed it on the coin for a while, until the picture was imprinted, cut away the excess gum, froze it, painted it, and let it dry in the freezer overnight! a coin s__ll!
Sounds like a fine gaff for outdoor winter performances in CT.

Cheers,

Tiki
Unless you have a machine shop, then it would be very difficult to make your own.

Now, excuse me, I must go over to the Great Salt Lake beaches to look for these shells that Sirakor mentioned.