(Close Window)
Topic: 3 Shell Game, Anyone
Does anyone happen to have a cheap set of the Three Shell Game they'd like to donate to a beginner? :) :) I've been looking for a cheap set, and have found some, but not without being ripped off in Shipping Costs...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Your local grocery store should have whole walnuts. If that's not cheap enough, your local forest may have some.

I'm not being smart alecky here, this is a sincere suggestion. Remember, magicians didn't always have their internet stores...
Actually, blindbo is very right. Get a few walnuts and some sand paper and you can make a beautiful set. A small piece of sponge will work well for a pea. Probably the best sets right now are from School for Scoundrels, but the reason these were developed is because the real walnut shells had the tendency to crack during airplane trips. This made it hard on tradeshow and other traveling magicians who performed the shells. Unless you're traveling on planes a lot, you can't really do much better than real shells.

Good luck,
Richard
You can buy a novelty joke version and gag stores. They go for around $5.
Or you can use bottle caps. right now I use the cap off some free sample of AXE body spary, they are the right size.
I'm thinking of also getting into the Three Shell Game via Haydn's DVD. Having purchased too many el-cheapo tricks that are languishing in a closet because they looked and felt cheap, I'm heading more toward getting a very good set. I figure that, at least for me, it is ok to learn the moves with almost anything, but I need a reason to keep me sticking with the trick, and paying $$ for shells is a pretty good reason! :) Also, I figure that for a newbie, it might be easier to perform some "moves" with a good set. True or not?
I haven't seen Whit Haydn's DVD, but everything I have seen of his is top notch. Bob Kohler's Golden Shells video is also very good. I own a set of street shells and they are great and make the moves very easy. Most of the ease, however, comes from the peas (hey! that rhymes!) And there is a lot of knowledge to be gained by carving your own set of shells.
Check out [url=http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/menu.htm]The School for Scoundrels.[/url]
I like the Vernet(sp?) 3 shell game and their cheap (about $12).
The school for scoundrels street shells are great and the working pea is fabulous. You may want to try the caps off a WD-40 spray can. They would make great cheap shells and as mentioned above, use a piece of sponge for the pea.
Penguin sells the "Perfect Three Shell Game" for 10 bucks -- you get the shells, pea, and an instructional video download. Free shipping.

I don't have them so I can't vouch for their quality, but it is cheap.
I know a friend who got the trick and he HATES the trick ...but then ,it looks really good
Message: Posted by: the_houdini_jester (May 19, 2005 08:33PM)
Penguinmagic.com has some I don't think they're that expensive
3 empty match boxes and a small ball made of paper. That's the way they do it here on the streets. Cheap to replace when they have to run......