(Close Window)
Topic: Editing Problems
Every once-in-a-while I'll pull up a thread on which I have posted and want to edit my post, only to find that there is no [b][i]edit[/i][/b] icon.

This is, to say the least, weird.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just very, very special?

When this happens, is there anything I can do to edit my posts, apart from coming back an hour later and hoping the icon is there?

Thanks!
Here'e the explanation from the rules and etiquette forum

[quote]Post editing and deletion:

It is our policy that once a message is posted on the board it will forever remain unless said message is in violation of our rules and policies. After all, the quality and quantity of the various messages on the Café is why folks frequent this site on a daily basis.

That said, members may edit their post if the message is LESS THAN 30 MINUTES OLD *AND* there has been no replies to the message. If the post is older than 30 minutes or a reply has been posted, the member will get one of the following two messages:
----------------------
"Sorry, you may not edit this message because the 30-minute time limit for editing has passed. This message may only be edited or deleted by staff."

OR

"Sorry, you may not edit this message
because a reply has been posted.
This message may only be edited or deleted by staff."[/quote]
Some, if not all, of the staff can probably update the post if you politely ask them to.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've read this somewhere...
That is true, up to a point. The staff will make grammatical corrections and minor alterations [i]as long as they don't change the meaning of the post[/i]. This would cause all sorts of confusion for anyone trying to follow the other messages that have already been posted in the thread. As Dave Scribner already said, as long as they don't violate the Café rules, they will remain as part of our permanent records.
I have also mentioned in another post (and may be where you heard it) :D that if you need a correction and the time has elapsed you can use the report to mod button at the top of each post, inform us of the corrections you need made and we will edit your post for you.

Mya :D
Merci!