(Close Window)
Topic: The Card Magic of Nick Trost
I was wondering if any of you have learned of these tricks. Or is this book just old stuff repackaged. I have not read it but I hear a lot of good things. Any opinions from people who have read it?
If you mean the L&L-book, in a sense, it is "old stuff repackaged"...
In the sense that many items were released decades ago.
But here the best of his stuff is collected and expanded, in one volume. And it is filled to the plimsoll-mark with great cardmagic, of intermediate difficulty.
I, for one heartily reccommmend it!

Bjørn
If you don't have the book, get it ASAP. You will have the clear-cut answer for your question.

If you already have the book and you are asking this question, it is a wate of time to wait answers.

It has many gems of card magic.

Hideo Kato
This is a must-have book for card workers.

Craig
Great stuff in this book and easily within reach of most beginners.
Hey, that's great thanks for the input. Iam not really a beginner.I consider myself an erdnase freak. but anyway I would not ever put something down just because it is simple. I have noticed the really sweet stuff is so simple. But not easy do do under pressure. And to keep it clean and natural . very hard
I have many books and would NEVER part with this one. It really is a great book and most of the tricks are really easy to do. You will be very pleased with some of his work on the gillbreth card (I don't think I spelled that right) idea. I would give this book my highest praise.
In this book, there are many good tricks with Gilbreath Principle which was discovered by Norman Gilbreath.

Hideo Kato
I can recall a trick named Bigfoot by Trost, it was very cool. Does any dealer sell his packet tricks ?
There are some great tricks in this book.

Eighteen Card Poker (Good gambling effect)
Showdown (packet trick for 10 card poker deal)
Blind Sight (Two decks - great use of Gilbreath principle)
Intuition (Two decks using Eddie Joseph's 'Invisible Principle')
Eight Card Brainwave (Ian Rowland has a great take on this trick called Persuasion - see Genii Jan 2004)

plus many more - they are all good!
Hey, Rich,

Great selection, especially Blind Sight. Dennis Loomis mentioned "Automatic Lie Speller" in another thread. I did not know that it was a Nick Trost effect and not Gene Anderson's. Speaking of Si Stebbins (utilized in that trick), in the addendm, Trost provides us with invaluable tools, among them, a quick way yo set up a deck in Si Stebbins order.

And the Gilbreath Principle, of course. In particular, the Reverse Gilbreath, which Nick Trost developed in the late sixties.

federico
Bill7,
The Trost book is actually my favorite card book. Try some of these gems out,
1 - Matched Picture Crads - pg 49
2 - Seven Card Draw Prediction - pg 123
3 - Subtle Location ( Gilbreath ) - pg 137
4 - Intuition - pg 161
5 - Reset - pg 172
6 - Nick's Stranger in Paradise - pg 189

Let me know what you think.
Rennie
[quote]
On 2004-08-12 01:21, Kjellstrom wrote:
I can recall a trick named Bigfoot by Trost, it was very cool. Does any dealer sell his packet tricks ?
[/quote]

I think most dealers should have them. Try Harries in Sweden to start with.
[quote]On 2004-08-12 13:04, Rennie wrote:
5 - Reset - pg 172[/quote]
Nick Trost's RESET is rare one of perfectly framed versions of RESET, I feel.

You will be able to learn Trost's essence on presentational framing of card magic.

Hideo Kato
A great book. Anything by Trost is worth getting.
[quote]
On 2004-08-13 11:19, whithaydn wrote:
A great book. Anything by Trost is worth getting.
[/quote]
I second the motion on that. I personally feel Nick Trost does not get the recognition he deserves,does anyone know of any reason why?
Rennie
One of my favourite books. He was an early proponent of subtlety over sleights. Everything in the book is within the reach of any beginner or intermediate magician, yet many of his effects rank among the very best. Simple, direct magic.

Some of my favourites:
Spectator finds the Aces
Topsy Turvy Aces
Spectators card trick
Court Card Conclave
and of course... 8 Card Brainwave
I've made many notes fromt this book. This and Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie are great companions as there are quite a few effects that can follow one another from each.
The second review is up at http://www.magicbookreport.com/2011/05/the-card-magic-of-nick-trost/

This time around it is The Card Magic of Nick Trost. It's long been a personal favorite of mine. His ability to elegantly rework effects to remove the difficult sleight of hand is extraordinary. Even the heavy sleight of hand guys could use a handful of these effects in their repertoire for reasons that are detailed in the review.

Six effects from the book are captured on video as well. As always, thanks for watching.
Steven,

GREAT review of a classic!! Kudos!! I am eager to see more reviews in this format from you. Every word you said praising this great book is absolutely accurate.

Thanks Steven for creating a wonderful review site!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Everyone should remember one thing that is very important.

To a layman who has never been exposed to a certain routine before,
it is brand new!

So whether it is a year old or a hundred years old does not make a bit of
difference to someone who is seeing it for the very first time.

Jim
Very profound Jim. This certainly applies to every other aspect of Magic, too!

Julie
Steven, fantastic review. I'll confess to being underwhelmed by this book (except "Intuition," which is amazing), but your view has caused me to dig through it again.

Regarding, though, your version of his "Spectator's Card Trick." Yes, his version is pretty much like "Untouched." (He cites an Al Leech trick also as being similar.) You say you've changed the handling... Well, yes, you did. A lot. Maybe my brain is fried this morning, but I've watched it twice and am totally stumped. Great job.
Vlad, thanks very much for taking a look! Your comments are greatly appreciated.

bugjack, Intuition is a great trick. The version of Spectator's Card Trick I normally do is more in line with the classic Untouched version. This demo version was done to be slightly more "camera-resistant." And thank you for the kind words. This has been a lot of fun so far. If it turns some people on to books they wouldn't have found otherwise then it is serving its purpose.
Just purchased the book from Scott Guinn after seeing Steven's video. Keep up the great work, Steven!
Steven, great job! I love the cheating demo. I played around with that a couple of years ago. Had kind of forgotten about it until I saw your video. What a great demonstration! Laymen will think you are a sleight of hand god! :)
Amprice99, you're going to love the book. So many great effects.
Cameron, you hit the nail on the head. That very demonstration allows me to get out of dealing on poker night. I can just sit back and enjoy the game. If only they knew ;)
[quote]
On 2011-06-18 15:14, amprice99 wrote:
Just purchased the book from Scott Guinn after seeing Steven's video. Keep up the great work, Steven!
[/quote]
So you're the one! Grrr!
Sorry landmark :)
I'm selling my copy - how much did Scott sell his for?
[quote]
On 2011-06-21 13:58, landmark wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-06-18 15:14, amprice99 wrote:
[/quote]
So you're the one! Grrr!
[/quote]
I am now un-Grrr'd. Sohaib was nice enough to offer his copy for sale.
Amprice99, you are now my comrade and brother. :)
Aww! Thanks landmark :)