(Close Window)
Topic: Time marches on...a mentalist's woes
Many effects (book tests, lock openings, coin effects) that depended upon a 20th century date (e.g. 1984) are fouled up by the millenium.
Blank business cards are very hard to find (except in sheets for computer printing).
Pay envelopes are now made in heavy stock and the semitranslucent ones are only found in Europe.
Switching a quarter is risky, as the new ones have markings of the various states.
Sigh...
Try Boca Raton,Fl. I hear the weather is nice and the retirement communities are top notch.
You just have to eat dinner at 4:30 in the afternoon to get the special at the local diner.

BTW Office Depot sells pay envelopes that work well with a sharpie.Richard Busch has a nice DD useing them.

Send us a postcard from Florida :lol:
Blank business cards can be had at any place that prints up business cards. BUt yeah, the state quarter thing really fouled things up for so many effects. D a m n Government screws everything up :)
Thanks for empathasizing, Banachek. I used to buy blank business cards at the printers. But even the Kinko's chain in NYC does not carry them any more. Printers don't use them anymore. They produce custom cards by cutting them down from larger sheets.

And while I am in a grumpy mood, inexpensive spoons appropriate for bending are becoming very scarce, even at the 99 cent stores!
Ah, the joys of living in the UK.

Where their are no quarters, blank buisness stock cards are easy to find and spoons are a crappy as ever.
Try get spoons at a hospitality supplier.
I get them in bulk, at least 12 dozen a time.

The way I look at it, the harder it is to do something, the less people will be doing it.

It also forces you to innovate, which is a good thing.
If you look back, the ones that did things differently are the ones that stand out. There is always an edge, you just have to look for it.

Cheers.
Tom
I also buy in bulk. I get about 500 forks for $40 dollars from my supplyer
Business card stock can be cut from 8.5 X 11 in. sheets of card stock at any kinkos. Go the late shift. 3rd shifters need money bad, that's why they work the late shift (To make a $1 more). Then all you have to do is bring them a ream (500 sheets) of card stock, slip them $5-$10 and you have 5000 business cards for under $15.
Message: Posted by: Graymatter_Fireworks (Aug 15, 2004 09:54PM)
Obstacles can be a pivotal point in some things evolution. And answers can be found.

For instance you can easily utilize Richard Busch's PK Coin Surprise or even Richard Osterlind's Change of Mind to easily compensate for the state quarter issue.

Heck, if we can bend metal with our ‘minds’ we can surely use them to get over some hurdles. :)
Oh yeah, and any trick that uses a hotel key or motel key is out...keycards are in every hotel/motel above $35 a night, so dragging out a motel key, an actual key, will raise eyebrows...they'll wonder just where you are staying...and doing tricks with an assumed keycard is a ho-hummer at the git-go.
Well, you could always make a fake swipe card with the room number on the card. So this is still salvageable.

In addition, who said that keys belonged only to hotel rooms, anyway? There are many other places in the world where a key is still used besides motels. What about safety deposit boxes etc.? Just a little thought will usually overcome most things.

Cheers,

J.Warrens