(Close Window)
Topic: Long salt pour gimmick
I noticed in Ross Bretram's magic & Methods Book that there was a similar gimmick, but smaller than the Paul Fox gimmick (originally used for a silk routine). In looking at the photos of James Riser's quality salt pour, which resembles the Fox gimmick, I am concerned that it may be a bit large for my hands and experience. (Yeah, I know, Max Malini had small hands and could palm an elephant). Anyway, does anyone know the dimensions of the Riser salt pour? Does anyone else make a metal salt pour? This must take the place of the TT as well, in other words, to be able to pour the salt in as well as flow out. Thank you.
David
I would look for a Pressley Guitar gimmick. Stevens Magic used to sell them. The size is adequete but not as large as a Paul Fox Gimmick,
David,
Why don't you ask James Riser?
He does excellent work and I'm sure he'd be very happy to answer any question.
I do Salt Pour with Jay Scott Berry´s excellent Eclipse TT, very easy handling with the special in-built finesse...
You can make a very serviceable salt pour gimmick using a hollow rubber ball. I've also seen them made with a ping-pong ball with a short tube and the whole assembly painted flesh color. HMMMmmmm?
(and use the popcorn salt)
Perhaps you could adapt a 'palmo' ball to serve the function of a salt pour gimmick?

Just a suggestion.
Maybe its too small for your taste, but I have had good reactions with the Vernet salt pour gimmick.

(I also recommend popcorn salt)

Richard
I am going to try to adapt the Kilk King palmo ball-seal the bottom and solder a brass tube-I have sent a note to Riser but he will not be back until the end of this month.
Thanks to each of you.
David
Take a look at "Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere" DVD by James Celini. There's an excellent Salt Pour Gimmick that you can make yourself that is worth the price of the entire DVD, IMHO.
David, to answer your question, no, there are no other metal gimmicks. Danny Dew made two sizes of the gimmick, one small and one large. Yes, the large is large. I wear a size 10.5 glove and cannot, but my fist completely around the gimmick.

I suggest you rush your money order to Mr. Riser. It is the only gimmick currently available. Then practice the routine. All will fall into place.

This gimmick is superior to the rubber ball or ear blub home made gimmick.
Yo guys,

Check with Martini. He usually hangs on the Café. I saw him do the longest salt pour ever, and when he opened his hand, there was no gimmick. I have no idea what he used, but other magicians in the audience were scratching their heads right along with me.

S.
Steve,

How do I get in touch with Martini? He may be selling his item or have it in some lecture notes or such.

David
http://www.martinismagic.com
Yo, David, I just talked with Marty about the salt pour, and after he explained how it was done, do I feel dumb. Something so simple got me really really bad. Marty said that he used to teach this in one of his very early lectures, but has not included it in the recent ones for some time.

It is also not on his site as a marketed trick. He did mention that he was working on the instructions to it, but did not say if they would be in a book, lecture notes, or what. I guess we'll have to wait.

S.
Greetings:

After getting quite a few calls and e-mails about the salt pour, I have decided to put together the instructions and illustrations with details on making the gimmick. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of this, it is Free! Just send me a stamped self-addressed envelope (put two stamps on it), and I will send you a copy when it is done in about two weeks.

It is based on a routine that my good friend Frank Garcia showed me back in the mid 70's. I have reworked it and found the perfect item to use that can be found locally for under $2. With about 10 minutes of modification, you will have a great salt pour gimmick.

All the Best,

Marty "Martini"
P.O. Box 189
Delta,PA. 17314
In the mail. Thanks.
You can also use an un-lubricated Condom. Fill the tip with salt, tie it off, then steal the little ball of rubber. Break it open and pour.
The condom method was also used for the sands of the desert. Related to me by Abb Dickson who learned it from Orson Welles.

Can you picture Abb going on Hollywood Blvd. and trying to buy just specific colors of condom for the trick?

I still do other methods.
You know his day job is a mortician... :kermit:
Greetings All,

Finished the information last night. Ended up being 10 pages, with 24 illustrations. To Steve, David and Pete, your mail arrived this morning and your copies went out in the afternoon mail today.

All the Best,

Marty
Marty,

Thanks for the offer!

I have seen Cellini, and his gimmick is simple and very effective especially the way he uses a l**p to manipulate it!
Com'on, just what every magician needs--a condom that breaks easily! And since my surgery about eight years ago, how will I explain that purchase to my wife? :)

Any reason for using a condom and not a small balloon? (No balloon size jokes-it would be too easy.) HUGE THANKS TO MARTY-CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT ENVELOPE! A big thanks to everybody.

David
Marty: Many thanks, mss arrived today, quick glance, well done. Great... again thanks.
Greetings Pete;
Glad you liked it.
All the Best
Marty
Hello all, for those of you who do not want to spend money sending Martini the SASE do what I did. Just go to his house and sit pestering him for about an hour saying over and over "teach me the salt pour, teach me the salt pour". He will reluctantly give in to stop his ears from bleeding. PM me for his address and directions (JUST KIDDING). Thanks for all your help Marty and have fun in Vegas.

Jeff
Hi Martini
I'm a magician from Brazil.
I would like to receive the instruction and illustrations with details on making the gimmick of "Long Salt Pour".
How do I make it?
Thanks,
La Roque
laroquemagic@yahoo.com.br
Mr. Martini,

Reading you post about the long pour gimmick, you mention that the handling is based on a routine from the great Garcia, I was wondering what routine you are referring to exactly?

I have always though that the salt vanish is a thing of beauty; direct magic capable of eliciting strong reactions when performed well. I played around with the Chanin routine for a while but really only got into the effect when I stumbled upon “A tribute to Paul Draylin – A little Salt Goes a Long Way” in ‘The close-up magic of Frank Garcia Part 2 book”. Is this the method that Frank Garcia actually used and showed to you?

The book is full of great material (I wish I also had Part 1…) but the salt effect was my best find (along with ‘Watch Look and Listen’ and the Cellini Stuff). I have been performing it almost exactly as described (also using the silk for the reproduction…) for a few years now in most performance conditions. I think the handling is really clean and elegant, more salt can be used than with a normal tt steal and it completely avoids the horrible tt ‘thump poking’ which is sometime seen.

The only thing I have added is a long salt pour at the end… I have been playing with some conventional and not-so-conventional long salt pour approaches recently. Thus I am rather intrigued by your method, following the positive feedback from this thread. You may be receiving a SASE from 'down under' shortly, if your generous offer is still open. Like all of us magi, I am always seeking holy grails… like Don Quichotte with windmills…

Regards,

Pierre
Hello Mr. Pierre;
This is Charles, one of Marty's sons responding.
Mr.Frank was a constant guest at our house many times, I well remember him trying to teach me the shell game when I was about 10, oh if I only listened and paid attention back then.
A little salt goes a long way is the routine Dad was taught. His handling now involves doing away with the silk and using the same move to tip the gimmick into the bare fist to then do a barehanded salt pour.
I do believe that is the part that is throwing magicians off as they are looking for a gimmick in the hand when it is long gone before the salt starts to flow. Dad used to teach this in his lectures with Mr. Franks permission. This is also the material that is available in Dad's offer here, the full routine and illustrations for A little Salt goes a Long Way, then the way Dad closes with the free-pouring salt from the bare hand.
I will be sure to print out your post for Dad so he can respond to answer any questions you may have when he returns. Our family has quite a few of Mr. Franks personal props, A set of his real walnut shells,(unfortunately the pea has deteriorated), A set of Mr. Franks cups, an old wand of his, several decks of his cards, some gaffs that Dad made for him over the years, and some various gambling items that only He & Dad knew anything about.
Dad is going to build a large shadow box and put all of this into it for the living room wall, Hopefully I can get him to take a picture and post it as there are a lot of Frank Garcia fans out there who might like to see some of these things.
It's been great, but I gotta run I've got a date!

Opps! forgot to mention why I was responding instead of Dad.
Dad & Mom are off to Las Vegas for a week and...........Charles in in Charge! lol.

Charles
Charles,

Cheers for the great reply. I'm sure you got to see and learn a lot of good magic when you were growing up, lucky man!

The salt pour... This is all very interesting indeed. I guess I hit the proverbial nail on the head kind of by accident, although I was not expecting the use of the wonderful Draylin reproduction "move" to load a long pour. Why didn't I think of that!? ;)

Well, I will still be writing to your father because there are few things I enjoy more than collecting original magic ideas, notes and manuscripts, and putting them into practice in my performance world. I am sure that your father's addition is worthy of study. ...and of course this open forum is not the place to go in any further details.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Pierre

--------------
PS
People, you are feeling tired, your eyes are heavy... you will now forget all about salt, routines or anything to do with this thread, and go to sleep. ;)
Marty,
I just wanted to thank you for sending along the salt pour manuscript. Frank was a great performer that could really sell an effect.

Some ideas that may work into my pour routine should I start doing it again.

Thanks again.
Yo Baby, Yo Baby!
If you ever get the chance to spend some time with Marty, do so! Even while he is fighting a cold, he sat down and taught me some things I was having problems with for over 3 hours. A very helpful and great guy.
Maybe if enough of us keep at him, we can get him to come back to the Café.
S.
Thank you very much Mr. Marty

The manuscript has been received and was a joy to read. More is said in my 'snail mail'correspondence to you.

Best Regards,

P
Marty's manuscript is excellent! Fooling around this morning with some Nielsen props, I got to looking at the bladder he sells for pouring liquid out of one of his vanishing bottles. Hmm.......Stronger than a condom or balloon, perfectly round ball, just cut the neck off so it isn't so long, sounds like a great long salt pour gimmick to me. (For the version where a TT vanishes it, and then the salt just keeps pouring and pouring-anybody else try this before?
David
The evolution of magic and marketing!!! I gave out $300 plus another $50 dollars in customs to get the Kosak salt pour, and now Pete's going to market the Paul Fox one, and then I stumble across this thread!!! Oh, the heck with it... I'll collect them all, and am not disappointed nor sorry with my investment. Kosak's pour is great! Marty, I live over here in Deutschland, how can I get your manuscript? Can't send you any stamps!