(Close Window)
Topic: Building my first Subtrunk
I've been thinking about building my first subtrunk. I would love to do a Houdini tribute; on-the-other-hand, I wouldn't mind having a "cartoony" looking trunk to do a comedy Metemorphisis routine. I feel that would fit my style more. Any advice?

Magically,
Bryan Gilles PS- When I say "cartoony" I mean something that Walt Disney and Chance Wolf would have dreamed up!
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Sep 17, 2004 07:59AM)
Hmmm why don't you contact Chance Wolf? I am sure they can give you advice to accomplish what you are doing.

Cheers.

Michael
Sub Trunks can be adapted for most anything. One year the Six Flags show used a 60s Sock-Hop theme. (They used Chalet trunks and repainted them. They may still have some in warehouse in Oklahoma. If they do, they'll give you a deal!)

What about Roadrunner and the box from Acme?

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Hello,

Do the cartoony trunk, it fits your style, & it helps make your act more original! Everybody & their brothers do a regular trunk! Just my two cents, I hope this helps!
First.. buy a chalet trunk .. new or used.. and paint if from there.. I've used about 5-6- different commercial trunks.. and I've built 3 myself.. and you can't beat the Chalet trunk for price,durability and ease of use..

make sure you mark the front of the trunk somehow.. the way it comes from George.. it looks the same on the front and th back and you don't want to confuse the two.. it's a pain to do it backwards when you've rehearsed it the other way.. I've perofrmed his trunk over 1200 times in amusmennt parks for Paul Osborne and we never had any trouble other than this..

I think the acme packig box is a good idea..

mike
Not sure if this would work for you, but the difference between a trunk and a pirate chest is basically the top and the decoration. A cartoonish pirate chest might be a fun start for a nice routine.
Bill Smith has also built a few things that look cartoony. He's got a few pictures on his site.
Do what fit's you. It's your act. I too use a Chalet Trunk and it has been great. I prefer the natural "crate style" finish so it looks less like a prop and thus appears ungimmicked in the audiences mind. That's just my opinion. You need to create your own style and go with it. Good luck!
Chalet. That's the trunk to get !!
Thanks for all the help folks!!!