(Close Window)
Topic: Overcoming fears.
Are there ways of overcoming another persons fears such as hights or spiders etc.. by using techniques other than common hypnosis.

thanks.

Gareth Hobson.
Clinical psychologists often treat simple phobias (like fear of spiders) by cognitive-behavioral techniques. These might include systematic desensitization (i.e. first showing pictures of spiders across the room, then touching a picture of one, then handling a plastic spider, watching a real one across the room, working up to actually holding a spider, all the while using relaxation techniques to master each experience); flooding (e.g. handing someone a tarantula in a jar and helping them endure until the feelings of fear and anxiety have run their course), as well as using visualization and challenging fear-engendering thoughts (e.g. "Even though my heart is pounding does not mean I am going to die"). There are, in fact, dozens of such techniques and approaches, and treatment of simple phobias has a high success rate with these approaches. (But they make for a lousy stage effects)
Bruce
Have you thought of NLP?
using anchoring techniques you could attatch chosen emotions to the fear in question. of course for a perfect result you would need someone highly suggestable.
just a thought I think luke jermay did something using candles and flash paper allthough I can't remember what so it might have just been a dream!
regards
Could you please explain to me what NLP'S are my friend.

Gareth Hobson.
Neuro linguistic programming.
Mainly management mish mash surrounding itself in a dubious industry of self help books. it's current titles I put on a par with feng shui but it's early literature makes interesting reading.
tranceformations by bandler/grinder is the best place to start a little rare and pricy but easily stolen from your local library!
If you PM your email addr I will send you my findings.
regards
Gareth,

Look in your local yellow pages, you'll find a qualified NLP practitioner. Call them up and get a proper definition from a real person. Ask them how they can help your friend, and they will tell you.

Most people here on the Café seem to have a poor and very limited understanding of NLP.

Enjoy,
M.
Luke Jermay has a great routine involving phobias. Can't remember the name but it's in his Building Blocks book and the Skulduggery DVD
Lobotomy.
Its called the seventh decpetion and it is not in his building blocks book it is in "7 deceptions"
pretty much any magic store sells it. I wouldnt recommend it to actually cure a phobia but I suppose it could pyschologically help with some people
Overcoming fears of making a faillure during performance. Just read this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=83362&forum=15&start=0